My Fennekin Evolutions

Zielo

Caught 'em all.
Hellloooo, I wanted to get a bit more critique on my Fennekin evos. Here they are!

Pokebeach2_zpsac8dc01d.png

Name: Kinvix (kindle + vixen)
Species: Sly Pokemon
Type: Fire
Dex: They are often seen in small groups tricking others out of food. Quick and smart, they are hard to catch.
Height: 2'05"
Weight: 50.4 lbs
Higher quality in DeviantArt: http://otterrific.deviantart.com/art/Kinvix-Fennekin-Middle-Evolution-397514170

Pokebeach3_zpsb46b7fa0.png

Name: Pyrokinen (pyrokinesis + vixen or can also be seen as pyro + kindle + vixen)
Species: Cunning Pokemon
Type: Fire/Psychic
Dex: Said to have the ability to tell one's fortune, they are considered lucky. The gem on it's head emits strong power.
Height: 4'08"
Weight: 120.8 lbs
Higher quality in DeviantArt: http://otterrific.deviantart.com/art/Pyrokinen-Fennekin-Final-Evolution-397516776?ga_submit_new=10%253A1378084662

These were really fun to make. Ken Sugimori's style is really hard to pull off, and I know that there are a few things I could have done to make it more in his style. If I could go back and fix them, I would make the tail lighter on Pyrokinen or make the tail shading more noticeable, and I would fix the shading around the head/neck. Pyrokinen was really rushed because I had to get it done in time for the dream it & design it contest, so I really didnt have a whole lot of time to perfect its design compared to Kinvix. If I could change Kinvix, I would probably just change the head pattern slightly to fit it more and thats it, other than that I'm satisfied with it. I didn't get a whole lot of comments on dA so I was hoping I'd get more here, critiques are very welcome! And also, what do you think of the dex entries? :)

Also, as a side note, Ken Sugimori's fire style is REALLY hard to copy, especially since there are no tutorials or anything on it. You never really notice that every fire type Pokemon apparently has its own style of fire. I sort of tried to do that with Pyrokinen.

Very well done! Definitely some of my favorite fake starter evos. They're similar enough to Fennekin without having hugely drastic changes (ie Dewott to Samurott) or suffering from "it gets bigger" syndrome. You found a great balance which isn't always seen in Fakemon.

I like how you took small design cues from Fennekin and expanded them throughout the line...especially the ear fur that turns to flame once it reaches Pyrokinen. Pyrokinen's fur color change was also a great choice, as it's a bit more reddish. Very fitting for a Psychic-type.

CMP said:
Very well done! Definitely some of my favorite fake starter evos. They're similar enough to Fennekin without having hugely drastic changes (ie Dewott to Samurott) or suffering from "it gets bigger" syndrome. You found a great balance which isn't always seen in Fakemon.

I like how you took small design cues from Fennekin and expanded them throughout the line...especially the ear fur that turns to flame once it reaches Pyrokinen. Pyrokinen's fur color change was also a great choice, as it's a bit more reddish. Very fitting for a Psychic-type.

Thank you thank you thank youuu! I've been seeing a lot of people that say they like them, but don't explain why.

Actually, what you mentioned is exactly what I tried the hardest to focus on. I didn't want there to be too drastic of a change, or too little either. Its funny actually, Samurott was one of the models I used for how far I should go as far as those drastic changes (and also for partial help on the muzzle.) While making these, I always kept in mind, "Look at Oshawott and then look at Samurott, you almost wouldnt know those Pokemon were related if it wasnt official." My other opposing model was Venusaur, as its very obvious him and Bulbasaur are related. So, with those Pokemon in mind, I tried to keep a good balance.
Also, as far as the ear hair turning into fire goes, I figured that would have been the most obvious thing about Fennekin. If you look at every fire type starter, every single one either has or leads into something that has fire physically on it, and I doubt it will end up on the tail for Fennekin. Especially since the ears heat up to 200 degrees. :p

Last thing, I feel that I should say thank you, I learned how to do the Ken Sugimori style thanks to your repost of the guide. :)

Great job keep up the good fakes. Also I think you couldprobably get help from the most notable sugimori fakers.

(omg what if the finals look like this) -_-

zappy800 said:

...then I guess I win the contest for closest design to the official evolutions? XD

Zielo said:
zappy800 said:

...then I guess I win the contest for closest design to the official evolutions? XD

Lol hey have you heard the theory why people like their gens starters more without nostalgia? Basically you like the designers so everything after looks worse as you grow up as they get more designers. While new players get in and like theirs. Might explain yours getting lots of likes they look like possible pokemon from a past gen thanks to subtle touches.

Hmm, maybe so, haven't really thought of that. Another thing I kept in mind while making these is what WPM (or was it JWittz?) said about Fennekin. It was something along the lines of "It looks nice and simplistic and not overdone, much like earlier gen Pokemon." I tried not to go over the top with spikes everywhere or fur sticking out everywhere and junk to make it look too cluttered.

Zielo said:
Hmm, maybe so, haven't really thought of that. Another thing I kept in mind while making these is what WPM (or was it JWittz?) said about Fennekin. It was something along the lines of "It looks nice and simplistic and not overdone, much like earlier gen Pokemon." I tried not to go over the top with spikes everywhere or fur sticking out everywhere and junk to make it look too cluttered.

Might have been thejwittz sounds like something he would say. Speaking of which when do you think he will make a new video speculating on X and Y?

Actually it was WPM, I found the exact thread and post.

Water Pokémon Master said:
In Gen I and II, Ken Sugimori did all the Pokemon designs, and many of them were simple and basic. With Fennekin, I really feel that simplicity - she's just some sort of stylized fox and reminds me a bit of Vulpix.

And I'm almost positive Jwittz will do a video right after the Pokemon Direct tomorrow. :p So either tomorrow or the day after.

Here is the guide I used that helped me learn the Ken Sugimori style. Here you go! :)

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-misc-xous-s-sugimori-style-guide

I should also add that if you don't have Jasc Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop and Im sure Paint Tool SAI work just as well. If you have any questions about how to do a specific thing in photoshop, you can just ask or google it.

Back