My Chilli Con Carne Recipe (ThreeCourseSource)

TheTPCProductionz

Aspiring Trainer
So, for years I have been a keen fanatic of spicy food. I had always liked the idea of Chilli, but didn't like beans, so this is my interpretation of Chilli Con Carne.

Ingredients

•4 Tbsp Hot Chilli Powder ( I use some Ghost Chilli Powder as well)
•2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
•1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
•1/4 Tsp Ground Turmeric
•1 Tbsp Ground Garlic
•1 Tbsp Onion Powder
•1 Tbsp Marjoram
•1 Tbsp Oregano
•2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
•600 ML Beef Stock (I use 6 Oxo Cubes if I don't have fresh)
•200 ML Barbecue Sauce (Your Favourite type)
•4-6 Tbsp Bisto Gravy Granules (For Thickening w/ flavour)
•1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
•1 Tbsp Cracked Black Pepper
•50 ml Coffee
•40g Dark Chocolate
•400g Beef Mince (Preferably 20% Fat)
•3 Tbsp Worchester Sauce
•1 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
•200g Chopped Tomatoes (Optional)
•1 Whole Onion (Finely Diced)

Method

1.Put all your spices, herbs and seasonings in a bowl
2.Dice up your onion
3.Turn your non stick saucepan or stockpot to the highest heat
4.Brown off the mince with the chopped onions
5.Once brown drain all the fat, then add back to the pan
6.Put back on heat then add all the spices, herbs and seasonings
7.Then add your Worchester sauce, cook for a further 2 minutes
8.Add your sauces and coffee
9.Cook for a further 3 minutes, then add your stock
10.Stir until everything is mixed, then add the gravy granules, you may need to add more to thicken but it will thicken as it heats.
11.Add in your dark chocolate
12.Cook for 40-60 minutes on the lowest heat setting
13.Serve with basmati rice or your choice of starch

Check this and other recipes, on our food blog the link is in the description. If you would like to add recipes, I can add them on for you.

This isn't Chili con carne, I've had Chili con carne both in Mexico and at home (Arizona) it's not made like that. That recipe sounds like something idk but it ain't Chili con carne.

Chili con carne is:

Cut beef or pork or Beef suet
Chili (Not chili like what you are making but a Chili based sauce which can include many different types)
potatoes (optional)
all combined together
Tortillas (for rolling into a burrito of as an option to pick up the meat like bread)

This is a Sonoran style Chili con carne. I guess most folks think it originated in Texas (It IS a Tex-Mex staple) but it's really a Mexican dish. Your recipe is more reflective of the Tex-Mex version of it but not traditional Chili con carne, which is like I mentioned before a Mexican dish. It's really a poor man's dish. Simple ingredients that were plentiful and a way to use leftover meat.

I live in the UK by the way I'm not American, there is no set recipe for anything. I am commis chef, this is my interpretation look above it says my interpretation. Oh and actually, it didn't originate in Mexico. Most people assume it was.

Beans were only added, as a substitute to meat ,when meat was scarce. Your comment makes you come across, rather angry at my recipe I have taken offense, even it weren't meant to. I've had culinary training, working in many restaurants. It was created as a dish, where multiple ingredients could be added. From what I have found, most Mexicans don't even eat chili con carne nor do most know what it is. They say it's an American invention, and don't want to be associated with it.

Though saying someone's interpretation is wrong, is a bit low. It's an opinion, everyone cooks differently, they have their own way of cooking dishes. If it was all the same, food would be boring.

I'm not angry. But I was raised in a predominantly Mexican area of Arizona and I'll just throw in for measure that I am Mexican-American myself, The dish is Mexican. It may have originated in the states but it was created by Mexican folks. Not to sound like your training doesn't mean anything I am sure you've been trained well but 9/10 times the fact that it is a part of my culture cuisine and has been a part of my life kinda trumps the whole training thing. Look at it this way I train to cook in a traditional french style but do I think I know more than the french grandmother who has been cooking french cuisine for 60 years? Absolutely not. Do I tell her well I been trained so I know that what you are cooking actually originated in Galicia, Spain so it is not french. I can guarantee that won't matter to her and would likely offend her.

Sure there are Mexican purists who believe anything that substitutes local Mexican ingredients isn't Mexican. But then how do we get the great cuisine we have? It didn't just poof happened it was a mixture of cultures mostly Spanish and Native Mexico tribes. Mexican cuisine like all food is influenced by other countries. I embrace the fact that Mexican cooking has evolved further it's not just about what Spain or France added to it. It's about what the US has now too. By the way again not to say your experiences don't matter but I've been around Mexican folks all my life they definitely eat Carne con Chili.

I will admit my post was a bit....lacking in regards to execution however I still stand by what I said in that your recipe is more reflective of the Tex-Mex version of Chili con carne (not that it's a bad thing I was merely pointing that out). I do not mind that it is different, you're right, having food made differently adds tons of variety even to a single dish.

It just sounded like, you were attacking my dish and my experience in cooking. I understand, I will however ask for your recipe if you have any. I would be interested to try yours, for comparison. I have used cuts of meat before, but I prefer mince and I usually serve it with rice. I do add a few others things in, as I make my own chipotle barbecue sauce. I sort of just did it the way I wanted to really, I enjoy the dish and make it every other week for friends and family, though they don't like it as spicy.

I appreciate your upbringing, and your backgrounds obviously I would be able to get hold of some great fresh chili peppers if I were in Mexico, unfortunately here in England UK, it's usually pretty bad weather. I grow my own chili's, but it doesn't have the authenticity yours probably does.

Definitely seems more along the lines of a tex-mex chili recipe. Minus the coffee and chocolate it seems a lot like what I would make at home for dinner sometimes except there are no red beans in it. Although I live in Kentucky, not Texas.

Anyways, kudos to you for posting your recipe! Glad to see someone else that enjoys cooking like myself (and Ysmir of course ;) ) around the forums! :)

Yeah, I would love to see more recipes on the forum. I know it's a Pokémon forum, but no reason why we can't have discussions on recipes :)

slow cookers make the best chilis. I tried doing the pot/ over a fire deal but it just doesnt taste the same as a slow cooked version with constant same temp.

Yeah, I do use my slow cooker if I am in all day. Or have time to do prep before, and leave it. It has a richer taste low and slow.

Back