MEWTWO EX?!?!

Brandon Smiley

"Big Tex"
Mods, if this is in the wrong spot, i'm sorry. Please move if needed.

Seriously. You heard it here first.

This card is.. broken.

We don't have the complete set, but this.. isn't fair at all.

mewtwo-ex-psycho-drive.jpg

Mewtwo EX - Psychic - HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] X-Ball: 20x damage. Does 20 damage for each Energy attached to both Active Pokemon.
[P][P][C] Psycho Drive: 120 damage. Discard an Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Pokemon EX Rule: When Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

First of all, HP.

170 for a basic is.. more then Tyranitar. Almost the highest in the format. (Excluding the rest of that set, we don't know yet.)

You won't be getting donked, unless it's by another Mewtwo, pretty much.
170 HP is great, and can make sure you live a long time. (Unless, this deck is like LuxChomp, and it doesn't live long at all..)

Weakness to Psychic is probably going to suck. Especially in the Mirror match. Pretty much just OHKO, OHKO, OHKO, OHKO, OHKO game.

If this card was released in the US right now, what would i use it with?
Jirachi, Shaymin, and possibly Mismagius.

Turn 1, if you can get enough Psychic Energy in your discard, then flip 2 heads then your off to a great start. Then, with Shaymin UL, you can move the Energy to Mewtwo EX. That's possibly a completely set-up Mewtwo. (If you flip three heads/get three in the discard pile)
Later Game, you can swarm Mewtwos. Hitting 120 is huge in this format, and it's first attack isn't bad. Especially when you can abuse Jirachi + Mismagius. With that combo, you can move energy off of Jirachi to Mewtwo easily. Basically ensuring 120 damage a turn.
(Note: Mismagius is just a tech, not a big deal, but in my opinion seems like it can be useful)

Of course, you don't have to have Mismagius. Energy Retrieval will work fine as well.

So.. would is the goal?

Turn 1:
Get out Mewtwo EX, attach to him. Use Professor Juniper, Sage's Training, and Junk Arm to get Psychic Energy in the discard pile. Play multiple or just 1 Jirachi and use Stardust Song to flip a coin for each energy, and attach it if they are heads. Then, use Shaymin's Celebration Wind to move the Psychic Energy to Mewtwo EX.

Hmm.. Sounds like ZPS, but it's probably more consistent.

With Psycho Drive, you do 120 for PPC, and only have to discard an energy. So, just attach normally every turn and you have a 170 HP basic (190 with Eviolite, more with defenders) tanking, while doing a constant 120 damage.

The retreat isn't terrible, but you shouldn't need to retreat unless your going to use Seeker to heal it or something.

X-Ball, Mewtwo second attack is pretty broken too. You're going to at least be doing 40 damage with it, and a lot of Pokemon require a lot of energy now. (Maybe not a lot, but you know.. Zekrom requires 3 to be successful, which means it has bolt striked, leaving it at an OHKO with X-Ball.)

A Skeleton List?

Pokemon: 10
4 Mewtwo EX
3 Jirachi UL
3 Shaymin UL

Items: 28
4 Proffesor Juniper
4 Sage's Training
4 Junk Arm
4 Dual Ball
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Eviolite
2 Energy Retrieval
2 Switch

Energy: 12-15
12-15 Psychic Energy

That leaves you with plenty of room.

Of course, all of this is just speculation, since we only know two cards from that set at the moment, but hopefully you understand where i'm going.

What was dominant last format? Big HP basics that did big damage, and got set-up quickly.

Right now, in my opinion big basics are pretty dominant as well.
Zekrom has 2 National Championship titles at the moment, which is better then any other deck in this format.
TyRam also did pretty good at Nats, making Top 8, and going 9-0 in swiss.

So, why can't Mewtwo be just as good, if not better?

I honestly see this is as a huge part of the metagame in the near future.

I know i'll be trying my hardest to get a playset when they come out, and i wouldn't expect these to be cheap.

This idea was made by me, and my cousin. Any credit goes to us.
Jus' Sayin'.

I would not speak too quickly, as the rest of the format would probably have support cards for this

But so far, you're strategy is good. And this card is cheap.

Like what? I don't know of much that can take down 170 in one hit. Especially with an Eviolite on it. And Mewtwo can OHKO most of the format with a Plus Power or two.

I'm not saying that this is the end of the format, and this card will be the new SP and everything, but it has amazing potential in this format.

Of course, we haven't seen any other cards from the set, but this one is just amazing.

I believe this card will be extremely popular and I would probably tank it with evolite and defenders and possible run a couple of pluspowers and run maybe a 2-2 Zoroark with 2 DCE

Why play Zoroark? I don't think it would be very useful. The goal is to always attack with M2, nothing else.

This card has some serious potential, no? 170 HP and swinging for 120 discarding 1 energy. That trolls just about all of the metagame.

If you want to run Mewtwo EX, you'll need something for Mew Prime. With Jumpluff or Cinccino in the Lost Zone, it can OHKO Mewtwo EX (weakness) and get 2 free prizes. I don't know what to use to counter it (maybe Yanmega Prime, or something?) but you'll need something.

Yeah, i was thinking about Mew earlier, because it would just slaughter this.
But, to be honest, i can't think of anything good to counter.

Something that can hit for 60 easily..? Donphan? I'm not sure. I wouldn't really want to play Donphan in here, because that would hurt consistency badly. Same thing with Yanmega. I'm not a fan of Yanmega as a tech, anymore. It's just not good enough, and i'd have to change my supporter lines to fix it in.

This card just makes me happy I run samurott it cant be ohkoed and can always 2ko back with 2 water energy meaning it can exchange active pokemon while taking extra prizes. Also I think this card is extremely balanced it cant ohko wither reshiram or zekrom and both of which will 2 ko back giving an edge in the prize exchange to the dragons. Even if mewtwo does get a pluspower each turn to ko the dragons it is still an even prize exchange not to mention that an eviolite on a dragon makes the ohko practically impossible.

e.g.
mewtwo kos reshiram w/pp takes 1 prize
reshiram blue flares
mewtwo kos reshiram w/pp takes 1 prize
reshiram blue flares takes 2 prizes

prizes 2-2 after 2 turns and an eviolite swings the exchange in reshiram's favor.

TLDR: Because of the 2 prize rule even if mewtwo ohkos everything it can always be 2koed back giving an even prize exchange.

Bwaaaa

This card, and the EXs in general, are going to make Mew Prime much better, since Mew Prime can OHKO this thing back to win the prize exchange. It will also be able to use any cheap powerful attacks the EXs have without the 2 prize thing. That's my opinion, anyway. I think that Mewtwo EX itself will be overhyped when released like Emboar but eventually people will realize it can be countered.

But.. how often will Zekrom be out fully loaded, twice in a row? Especially T1/2.
Almost never.

Same thing with Reshiram. It's hard to get out Emboar/Typhlosion really early, when M2 is online usually T1/T2.
Also, Catcher can play a huge roll in the Emboar/Typhlosion thing, because M2 can just catcher it up and OHKO/2HKO.

And as for Samurott, you fail to Zekrom. Epicly. And you're saying your going to have out Samurott's consistenly as i 2HKO them? You have to have 3 Water or 2 water/DCE to kill my Mewtwos, as i X-Ball you, then kill you with Psycho Drive.

'Nuff said.

Dark Void said:
This card, and the EXs in general, are going to make Mew Prime much better, since Mew Prime can OHKO this thing back to win the prize exchange. It will also be able to use any cheap powerful attacks the EXs have without the 2 prize thing. That's my opinion, anyway. I think that Mewtwo EX itself will be overhyped when released like Emboar but eventually people will realize it can be countered.
Yeah, Mew Prime can get better. But, this deck can play Mew Prime in it..? I don't see why not. It's Psychic, techible, and can help the mirror out perfectly.

Emboar was overhyped, because MagneBoar was overhyped. MagneBoar just wasn't consistent. ReshiBoar is consistent. Emboar is still a good card..

And as for Mew using the EX's Attacks, 60 HP x2 is 120, which is 2 prizes. 170 x 1 is 170, which is 2 prizes. You know what i mean? You can basically kill 3 Mew Prime, or kill 1 Mewtwo EX.

I'd rather just use M2 EX.

I don't mean Mew over this guy, but there will probably will be other EXs that have little cost for powerful attacks for Mew. This won't be the only card released in the set nor will it be the only EX so Mew is almost guarenteed to get an EX that works with it.

Dark Void said:
I don't mean Mew over this guy, but there will probably will be other EXs that have little cost for powerful attacks for Mew. This won't be the only card released in the set nor will it be the only EX so Mew is almost guarenteed to get an EX that works with it.

I understand what your saying, i just mean..
Mewtwo EX has 170 HP.
Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem have 130 HP. And they are apparently becoming EX's. (They assumingly will have equally high HP as Mewtwo does) (That is, saying that they do become just reprints, you never know)

Would you want to see off any of those? No. Outrage would be useless, and youre better off just using them yourself of instead of letting Mews die.

I don't think Mew would be good for Seeing off the EX's, but i could be wrong. I just think your better off attacking with the EX's, but i understand what your saying. It does open up a whole new field for Mew.

Some thing I didnt mention before is cinncino and zoroark they can consistently do atleast 100 damage a turn against this assuring 2kos adding another deck that can safely exchange prizes. Sure this card cant be ohkoed but you take 2 prizes! So it effectively has a prize to hp ratio of 85 hp, this card needs to take a prize a turn to be even considered viable but that just is not certain with the dragons and eviolite around. I also do not think you will be getting out many turn 1 mewtwos, ZPS has enough trouble without being reliant on flips and getting the energy into the discard first.

Bwaaaa

geez this card is sooo broken....the format is just going to be run by basics.... i was thinking posibly running this card with emboar so the energy u discard can be fire so you could keep the psycick energy on it.

@bwaaa
Junpier + Sages + Junk Arm can get you enough Psychic in the discard. Out of 6 Flips + your guaranteed at least two heads most of the time tbh.
Just proxy the deck and try it yourself. It's actually really consistent..

@joe
This format has been ran by basics since base set. trololol.
Base Set: HayMaker
DP-UL LuxChomp
MD-CL LuxChomp/SableLock/ChenLock
MD-BW SableDonk

HGSS-on ZPS, ReshiBoar, ReshiPhlosion/TyRam.

I know theres more, but still. You get my point.

Emboar wouldn't be good. I mean sure, you can drop the fires on it, but they can catcher up Emboar and that would suck.

Well there's a whole set and we've only seen a couple cards. Maybe mewtwo will be bad compared the rest of the set (pretty hard to do). They're could be a couple good psychic pokemon that could OHKO mewtwo. So we need to see the rest of the set to be sure.

I know, and i've stated that a few times in this thread.
Of course, all of this is just speculation, since we only know two cards from that set at the moment, but hopefully you understand where i'm going.

But its kinda hard to top that. Sure they could throw a couple good Psychics out there, but they have to be able to swing for 90 pretty cheap to OHKO it.

id run mewtwo wit archeops and sum double colorless, problly add mew prime and sum dragons too and eviolites. the new EXs could rlly make Archeops OP and if it becomes rlly good then i guess trainer lock decks will become good too... dont rlly like theorycrafting b4 sets come out but i do know one thing mewtwo will do(make Machamp alot less popular...)

also smoochems sounds fun in a mewtwo deck too(can move about their energy for disruption/X-ball set up)

I'll admit this is a great card, and that a Zekrom like list is probably the best way just now to run him in. It does have some flaws though. Zekrom decks sometimes fail to get a donk since you need a very specific setup (Zekrom, Pachirisu, Shaymin, and either 3 energies or 2 energies and Unown UD) which at best requires a 4 card combo. At first look it seems like to achieve the same thing with Mewtwo you will need one more card (a way to discard the energies) which sounds like it'll be harder to achieve. I haven't tested anything like this so I might be wrong but that's what it seems like just now.

When it gets set up it'll be strong enough to knock out some popular pokemon in 1 hit such as Yanmega, Reshiram (with a pluspower) and Zekrom. However there are still a few pokemon that can't be OHKO'd by it, as well as a lot that can knock him out in 2 turns (at worst you'll lose 2 of your own pokemon and the prize exchange remains the same). There's also Rayquaza Deoxys Legend that can OHKO it for 3 prizes.

Back