Metagross EX / M Metagross-EX in 'Mega Metagross-EX Premium Collection' [11/12]

It's a shame it's Metal type and not Psychic. Metal has already had heaps of love in Phantom Forces.

Psychic type too had heaps of love in Phantom Forces. I mean, that was kinda the focus of the set!

In any case, it's a bit meh. Mega Metagross is pretty neat in that it can actually take OHKOs, but considering Dialga-EX does that quite effectively, I don't see it getting any play, even in Metal Decks (maybe a Pyroar Counter, but M Kangaskhan seems vastly superior). Metagross-EX itself it also almost worthless.

But I have to say, they do look great, and that's all that matters to a lot of people.

Do we now how much these collections will cost yet. The M Metacross seems decent and could hit for some big numbers.

You know, not that I don't like Shiny Pokemon and all, but does anyone know if we're going to get these guys in their regular colors?

Assuming the weather mellows out tomorrow, I wonder if I can find this and the and maybe the treasure tin tomorrow. Not to mention I still need the Phantom Forces trainer box.

I really want the Mega Metagross Collection now.

As for Basic Metagross-EX, it is fairly weak. Magnetic Laser can move Energy off of something on your Bench that you powered up earlier, like a damaged Dialga-EX, but is otherwise too weak. Squared Attack is just plain awful. Rarely will it ever do 100, maybe 150 if you're lucky with Victini. Yea, Mega Metagross DOES have the Mega rule, but I feel that it still is really viable for anyone who wants to try it.

Substitute Robot is going to make Megas that don't have Spirit Links a lot more playable. Gatling Slug is really great, especially since you get that acceleration and consistency from Bronzong. 4 Metal Energy does 170. Even 130 for 4 Colorless Energy isn't that awful, since you can power it up with Blastoise or Emboar. I could definitely see Emboar/Pyroar/Metagross be a thing.

That said, though, since M Metagross-EX is a promo, I doubt it will see play in tournaments. Still, I plan on getting a Mega Metagross collection for Christmas, and then maybe use Gift Money or Trading to get my hands on a few more copies of the card, so I can get a 2-2 line at least for my Bronzong/Cobalion LTR Budget deck.

Hopefully the Booster Packs are weighed in our favor. Even if it is just about 2-3 holos total, that would be nice. Let's see, here is a value calculation of the box:

-Metagross-EX (est $4)
-M. Metagross-EX (est $6)
-8 packs (est $3.50 each, so total to $28)
-The Jumbo (est $5)
-The Playmat (not sure exactly, but probably about $6-8 depending on the material)

So, overall, this totals to 4 + 6 + 28 + 5 + 7 = $50

Again, just an estimate.

That could be a good reason to release these guys in regular form. Being released regular form in an expansion set could allow for a spirit link for Metagross. Not that I suppose every mega needs one. M. Diancie won't have one. None of the megas in XY or Flashfire have one. Still, it'd be kind of nice.

Auride said:
Psychic type too had heaps of love in Phantom Forces. I mean, that was kinda the focus of the set!

In any case, it's a bit meh. Mega Metagross is pretty neat in that it can actually take OHKOs, but considering Dialga-EX does that quite effectively, I don't see it getting any play, even in Metal Decks (maybe a Pyroar Counter, but M Kangaskhan seems vastly superior). Metagross-EX itself it also almost worthless.

But I have to say, they do look great, and that's all that matters to a lot of people.

Not really. I mean, yes it was called Phantom Forces as a set name. And yes Psychic types got a stadium of their own. But that's as far as it goes. Just because it had Gengar-EX and its Mega doesn't mean Psychic was the focus of the set. That's like saying Colorless types were the focus of Flashfire just because it had Kangaskhan-EX and its Mega.

I think this is going to cap off at $60 USD. I'm going off of the ETB here, as this box includes 2 EX cards, a jumbo EX, and a playmat instead of a thick cardboard box with energy cards and some decorative plastic dice.

Yeah, they don't seem that great. Funny how Squared Attack is the same as Quad Smash that Undaunted Metagross had. At least the art is pretty cool as far as 3D art goes, I just find it strange why they used the shiny version instead of regular.

Hopefully the Booster Packs are weighed in our favor. Even if it is just about 2-3 holos total, that would be nice.

That's not how these packs work. You just pull badly because you're not getting a solid amount from a single source. Given these have FOUR sets (!!!) in them it'd be safe to assume that your pulls won't be too good.

Also Metagross-EX confirmed worst EX ever printed. M-Metagross is pretty cool though, would've loved to have seen a Spirit Link though.

As with the majority of recent promos, it looks like these are going to be binder EXs. M-Metagross has a decent attack at best, but can skill be OHKOed by a Pyroar with a Muscle Band, while is Metal's biggest weaknss. Aegislash-EX has a smilar (though weaker) attack, but with the addded bonus of being a basic and having an Ability that's very helpful in our current format. I wouldn't count on this guy seeing play, except in the odd fringe deck.

As for the collection itself, this looks interesting. I'm expecting them to cut us at least somewhat of a deal with the sheer amount of things included in the box. Elite Trainer Boxes average around $40 and also contain eight boosters and some goodies. I'd imagine this to be priced slightly higher.

@Milennin: It's shiny because of the ORAS time release, where Steven I believe has a shiny Metagross. I think either he gives you a shiny Beldum post game to train or the game might come with a code for a shiny one like how XY came with the code for a Torchic with its hidden ability and Blazikenite.

Anyone know if I'd have more luck looking at walmart or target for this today? Don't have time to check both but I love metagross!

I'll be the odd one out and say that I see M-Metagross EX doing fairly good for a promo card eventually. I really want to see this playmat though. Not holding high hopes for something that nice looking though. But who knows.

yeah neither store had it today, hopefully they come in soon! I did find the new treasure tin and walmart finally got the 2014 worlds decks, so it was still a fun trip :)

Back