Metagame Reading

Cinema

Gyarados Bait
Sorry if this is better suited for TCG Discussion, but it has something to do with competitive tournaments and strategies.

How do you guys know what people in your meta are playing? People always say things like, "Change this based on your meta", and "This deck needs to be like this or like this, depending on your meta". Do you just tweak your deck last minute at the tournament based on what you can see people playing, or something else?

I know someone would say to just look around at league, but many of the tournaments people go to involve traveling, and therefore not only people from league.

I would really like to hear you guys' feedback since I love playing decks like 6-Corners and the like, which depends heavily on what the current meta for my area is

Thanks!

Just be friends with everybody. Especially if you're a Senior. Most Seniors aren't particularly secretive about what they're playing. I know all of the good Masters in my area, but they still won't tell me what they're playing half the time. :mad:

Another thing you can do is stick around for cut if you don't already know what all the decks in cut are. Memorize what players are playing what deck in cut. Often, if somebody does well with one deck, they'll play the same deck for the next tournament.

^

Basically what happened at my Cities, except I didn't really realize it until afterwards. Since JWittz publicly said he'd use EelZone, and then Jason Klaczynski and the Top Cut guys were playing it, and later many of them switched to Durant, my Cities was mostly Durant, Eels, and TyRam. I didn't see a single Chandy, probably because of people fearing Durant.

Celebi23 said:
Just be friends with everybody. Especially if you're a Senior. Most Seniors aren't particularly secretive about what they're playing. I know all of the good Masters in my area, but they still won't tell me what they're playing half the time. :mad:

Another thing you can do is stick around for cut if you don't already know what all the decks in cut are. Memorize what players are playing what deck in cut. Often, if somebody does well with one deck, they'll play the same deck for the next tournament.

Unfortunately, that's not really true for my area. Even the seniors will either not tell me what they're playing or they'll tell me something that leads me to play something bad. All I know is that I won't be taking their word for anything. I at least know most of the competitive seniors in AZ, but we all almost have rivalries. We talk and goof around but we're all in it to win it.

Join one of their testing groups then. If you test against a bunch of the competitive seniors, you'll know what decks they're running without having to ask.

Do you mean like online? I only know 1 other senior from AZ on Pokebeach, though. I'm friends with everyone at my league, so I always know what they're going to be playing. It's just the people from Phoenix that I don't know.

Just pick a good player, a great player, and a random scrub with a good deck. See what they're playing and those 3 decks will be seen a bunch at your tournaments. This only really works in seniors though.

I just ask somebody who goes to the other league what the meta is...
Most Seniors is my area aren't very secretive, but that only goes for the better players.

Celebi23 said:
Join one of their testing groups then. If you test against a bunch of the competitive seniors, you'll know what decks they're running without having to ask.

Which is why I test with masters.

Also, I am going to move this to TCG General Discussion, because this thread is not about strategies or decks.

Back