Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist's Block [4/21]

Mitja

veteran smartass
Was that the only noteworthy part of the interview? <___<

People whining about Mega Flygon is what made it go from one of my favourite Pokemon to something I am annoyed by when mentioned somewhere... I mean this now feels the same as if they asked why there was no third Mega for Charizard.

What about the other hundreds of Pokemon who weren't chosen to get Megas yet? xD

And I wish they'd have had that issue with Mega Gallades design... if it allowed it to get a better ability when released a generation later or so...

Frosty

Bleh.
...art blocks are the worst

i guess that explains some of the Pokemon designs from all the generations XD

Mitja

veteran smartass
Frosty said:
i guess that explains some of the Pokemon designs from all the generations XD

If they released mega Flygon despite considering its design not good enough, then your post would make sense.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
That is... okay, that's actually pretty hilarious. And I guess this means we'll probably see Mega Flygon at a later date once they come up with a good design for it. Makes me wonder how terrible their ideas are after seeing some of the questionably designed Pokémon (mega or otherwise) we've seen over the last few years, but that's GF's call, not mine. :p

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
Seriously? Looking at Mega-Garchomp and others, I couldn't think that GF could have artist's block. :rolleyes:
Well, after the lame items created in order to have Mega-Evolution, after the "excuse" for not having customisation in ASOR, this is just another nail in the coffin for me and somewhat of an argument for saying that GF should be doing new Pokémon and evolutions, instead of just redisigning Pokémon with their Mega-evos.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Leaf_Ranger said:
Seriously? Looking at Mega-Garchomp and others, I couldn't think that GF could have artist's block. :rolleyes:
Well, after the lame items created in order to have Mega-Evolution, after the "excuse" for not having customisation in ASOR, this is just another nail in the coffin for me and somewhat of an argument for saying that GF should be doing new Pokémon and evolutions, instead of just redisigning Pokémon with their Mega-evos.

What's wrong with Megachomp?

A nail in the coffin? For the franchise or what? Is there some crisis regarding Pokemon I missed? Dx

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Somehow the information doesn't surprise me. Maybe that means Mega Flygon will make its debut in Z/X2/Y2, whatever they choose. I suspected we'll be getting new megas when this game comes out anyway.

Not sure how to interpet 'artist block' mind you. I won't go so far as to criticize the design intracies of any Pokémon since I know I couldn't do any better but one does have to wonder what they rejected.

MegaBeedrill

This isn't even my final form!
So basically.. mega flygon never happened because GF ran out of ideas? I believe it. Especially when they could've gave the hoenn bugs and birds megas over the *kanto* ones in a *hoenn* remake.. and salamence became a flying croissant.

We did get a movepool change for flygon in oras, Boomburst and bug buzz being learned by vibrava so perhaps we may see some kind of special oriented verison of mega flygon making an appearence in a future installment.

Personally I hope it still becomes of thing.. there were plenty of pokemon from the hoenn region that deserved and needed megas while being more popularly begged for from the fanbase (flygon, milotic) and when oras was ending the mega train, we mostly saw nonhoenn megas being announced.. at this point it would seem like anything's chance from hoenn getting a mega isn't great considering the main focus would be distributing mega evolutions to other generations since hoenn already got special treatment with a large number of new megas in addition to x/y's gen 3 pokemon megas. In Z or whatever, I'd mostly expect all the generations around hoenn getting megas (kanto, unova, kalos) but I'd certainly like them to introduce mega flygon now than never.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Pikachu6319 said:
Not sure how to interpet 'artist block' mind you. I won't go so far as to criticize the design intracies of any Pokémon since I know I couldn't do any better but one does have to wonder what they rejected.

The interview doesn't imply any rejected designs... it actually even says they didn't have any completed designs, and rather that the idea was dropped from consideration.

But if we're gonna speculate on what could have been going on at gamefreak in regards to Flygon... my theory is that they were going to make it have a Bug-type Boomburst, but dropped that because that'll be simpler to figure out once they've introduced such an ability first, which is an apsect ORAS wasn't expanding. And perhaps they also have ideas for fixing the excuse-Levitators in gen 7 some way, which would then give Flygon a proper ability first, so holding off the idea of making a Mega for it till then would make sense... or anything along those lines.

Mitja

veteran smartass
lavandula said:
I really want to know how many other Pokemon are on the same boat as Flygon?

Exactly.

Well Flygon came up because of the secret base guy, who was pretty much the only NPC of importance without his signature pokemon having a mega evolution.

But even if the interviewers followed up that with a question about other potential megas, knowing gamefreak, they'd try to dodge the topic somehow lol...

Pikachu6319

Scooby
They needed to have some kind of designs in the first place in order to have artist block stop a completed design. That implies there were designs that were rejected.

However, that was not just applies to the hypothetical mega Flygon but to basically any other Pokémon that could have been in the franchise that was ultimately rejected. All of the potential Pokémon that were or are still in the same boat as lavandula put it.

Leaf_Ranger

Mitja said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

A nail in the coffin? For the franchise or what? Is there some crisis regarding Pokemon I missed? Dx

Mega-Garchomp is just a Garchomp with a little more red, more teeth and other small and few changes.

Like I've said, for me it's a nail in the coffin, not that it's the same for others and the franchise.

Gentlefish

Hero of Truth
Mitja said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

Leaf Ranger is just biased. ;)
In all seriousness, though, Mega Garchomp's design isn't exactly stellar.
That said...

Leaf_Ranger said:
Mega-Garchomp is just a Garchomp with a little more red, more teeth and other small and few changes.

Yes, GIANT BLADES are hardly noteworthy. Besides, we're not talking about a fourth stage; Megas are literally the same Pokémon with design changes. Sometimes new ideas are introduced (see: Pinsir, Sceptile and Medicham, for example), other times not much changes. A lot of Mega Evolutions accentuate pre-existing design concepts (Metagross, Mawile and arguably Kangaskhan, among others).

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Mega Audino is hardly comparable... The Mega looks like what could be an actual evolution for Audino, which is easier as Audino is not part of an evolutionary family... I think Stage 2s might be the hardest Pokémon to come up with Megas as they're the final stage of evolution and have a very complete design on their own...

Leaf_Ranger

Gentlefish said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

Yes, GIANT BLADES are hardly noteworthy. Besides, we're not talking about a fourth stage; Megas are literally the same Pokémon with design changes. Sometimes new ideas are introduced (see: Pinsir, Sceptile and Medicham, for example), other times not much changes. A lot of Mega Evolutions accentuate pre-existing design concepts (Metagross, Mawile and arguably Kangaskhan, among others).

For me they aren't because it's a change of Garchomp's fins and claws...it's Garchomp with slightly modified fins! Sure, giant blades were the most likely path to follow and you're right when saying that Mega-evo. isn't per se a fourth stage but in the basic I think it is or there wouldn't be news like these about artist's block. I think GF is trying hard to come up with something new but in the end they don't know if they should make some Mega-evos more like an actual fourth stage and "new" Pokémon or the ?#% Pokémon with accentuated features. Follow this thought with Kalos' short Dex and I don't see where GF is heading. I'm not saying that GF is running out of ideas, but I think they're wasting their time with Mega-evos, more so when it's about some Pokémon that should/could have an actual evolution! Geez, I know that the game doesn't need to come up with answers for everything but if we still don't know why some Pokémon evolve and other's don't, then why present players with yet more questions about Mega-evos, with some being likely due to fan love and being presented as something that is used with some jewelry and Power Rangers' like activation?