Meatless Monday

Do you support the 'Meatless Monday' Law?

• NO! >/

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Yes, it's not that bad

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Yes, people shouldn't eat meat in the first place

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Pleas Comment)

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

CT_400

Aspiring Trainer
Today in my Animal Science class, we were told that Massachusetts is trying to pass a law that will BAN THE SALE OF MEAT from Restaurants on Mondays ONLY to help the environment

Below are links to articles dealing with this possible 'Meatless Law' (THIS IS REAL) :

Articles/Blogs that DO NOT support the law

http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/02/12/mandatory-%E2%80%9Cvegan-mondays%E2%80%9D/

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/12/cambridge-plans-taxes-veganism-climate-change/

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/secondhandsmoke/2010/02/12/global-warming-hysteria-cambridge-ma-goes-loony/

http://forums.pressdemocrat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7111054036/m/5331064769

http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=5541

Articles/Blogs that SUPPORT the law (Provide me with those and I'll happily post it)

http://www.insidetoronto.com/community/health/article/71620--animal-agriculture-plants-heaviest-carbon-footprint-tva

What do you think?

Should there be a Ban on Selling Meat in Restaurants every Monday?

Is this a pointless law?

Do you even care?

Why or why not?

Here is my opinion:

I think this is a stupid law the Cambridge Climate Congress is trying to pass. Vegetarians are slowly trying to FORCE meat eaters to eat veggies.

Sure we can still buy meat in grocery stores on Sunday and eat it at home, but why should we be FORCED to do so?

Vegetarians call meat eaters ‘heartless’ and ‘supporting animal cruelty’, but look at what they’re trying to do.

You don’t see meat eaters trying to pass a law that banns people from buying veggies at a restaurant.

I know, I know, this isn’t my state, but who’s to say that if this law gets passed, that it won’t be forced in my state too?

And for the record, there is already a 'Meatless Day', it's called LENT

That's not fair to the people that like eating meat (burgers, steak, etc.). And there is Lent when you can't eat meat which I follow.

This is B/S. I will eat meat every day no matter what kind of crap they try to pull. Kinda also B/S they're trying to ban the sale of alcohol past midnight, most bars see the most business between 12 and 1 in the morning. Then the smoking ban that got passed in ohio where you can't smoke in buildings anymore, like restaurants and what not. About a month after it was passed, alot of places saw a decline in sales. Bowling alleys suffered, on a late night trip to denny's they said they were suffering because they usually got all the bowlers after the league was over, but now with the smoking ban they don't even bother. I still believe that people have the right to decide if their business shall be smoking or non smoking.

I think it's kind of silly. People should be free to devour whatever kinds of living creatures they desire, THIS IS AMERICA DAMMIT.

CT_400 said:
Vegetarians call meat eaters ‘heartless’ and ‘supporting animal cruelty’, but look at what they’re trying to do.

Never have I seen your average vegetarian call someone "heartless" for eating meat. You are no doubt getting mixed up with animal rights extremists, so please don't tar us all with the same brush.

I am all for reducing the consumption of meat on a national scale. It is both needless and a waste of resources. Good for them, really.

I personally think restricting people to now eating meat on Monday is probably the most person thing i have ever heard. I myself am not a Hamburger eater at all. I only really eat meat when i am at Tacobell or having steak with the family. But seriously its like telling the vegetarians that they can't eat vegetables on monday. Why do vegetarians even care? To me it sounds like a bunch of control freaks got high and had a party.

I wouldn't be allowed to see another Monday? That's horrible!

Guys, you're acting as if meat is a nonrenewable resource and we can't live without it.

As long as animals keep reproducing, and we keep hunting them, there will be meat.

"ZOMG I CAN'T EAT MEAT AT RESTAURANTS ON MONDAYS ANYMORE NOOO!!! :'("

This is overreacting. Also, doing this "ONLY to help the environment" is good. We should be helping the environment.

LoneTyranitar: They're not banning people from eating meat. They're banning restaurants from selling it.

bacon and WailmerMan: I would say that not all meat harms the environment. Probably, completely organic meat is not harmful at all. I get this idea from The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. (All of you should read this book. :-/) Also, in the book, it tells you that you can find local sustainable (completely organic) meat farms/stores in your area at http://www.eatwild.com/index.html

42 chocolate said:
LoneTyranitar: They're not banning people from eating meat. They're banning restaurants from selling it.

Ummm question here, why would you go to a restaurant and and buy meat? To sit down and eat it. Pretty much, its asking all places such as Buffalo Wild Wings, Outback Steakhouse, and all other places that specialize in meats to close on mondays. Thats just pure B/S. If I want to go out and have a steak dinner monday night after work, than thats what I should be allowed to have.

If you want to go out and have a steak dinner on a Monday night, you can go to the grocery store, buy something similar to a TV dinner, go home, cook it in the microwave, and eat it. Not that hard, really. :-/

Also, for the record, Lent is a religious holiday.

I find it funny how both of your news articles are from Fox, and most of you seem to be focusing on the negative (our own satisfaction) rather than the positive (the effect on the environment.) I mean, really, is our own satisfaction more important than helping the environment?

xD at 42's sig.

Anyways, I'd support meatless monday if I didn't know how much it could hurt small restaurants. Many family owned buisnesses barely get by with the little money they have. Cutting maybe 90% of their income for one day would ruin them. I think supporting less meat eating would be a good idea, but I think "Meatless Monday" may be taking it too far.

42 chocolate said:
If you want to go out and have a steak dinner on a Monday night, you can go to the grocery store, buy something similar to a TV dinner, go home, cook it in the microwave, and eat it. Not that hard, really. :-/

It is hard when the ban on the sale of meats go to extremes. This is not a communist country, but they are acting more and more like it by telling us what we can and cannot watch. What to eat and when to eat it. These are all things of a communist government.

PheonyxXx said:
Ummm question here, why would you go to a restaurant and and buy meat? To sit down and eat it. Pretty much, its asking all places such as Buffalo Wild Wings, Outback Steakhouse, and all other places that specialize in meats to close on mondays. Thats just pure B/S. If I want to go out and have a steak dinner monday night after work, than thats what I should be allowed to have.
What restaurant doesn't specialize in meat?

omahanime said:
What restaurant doesn't specialize in meat?

I guess places that specialize in seafood. Since obviously, during lent, fish is ok. So I'm assuming the law will act the same way. And theres a place around here called the "Tree Hugger Cafe'" their entire menu is nothing but vegiterian stuff. Tofu and vegi burgers, oh god is it scary.

I'd like to start my support group for no-vegetable tuesdays and cookies-only fridays please

That is silly. I mean, so you have to eat NO meat anywhere on Monday? If they were doing it for lent thats soemhting diffrent. It's just taking away from there rights more. So what? I bet you Peda has something to do with this. -_-

42 chocolate said:
Guys, you're acting as if meat is a nonrenewable resource and we can't live without it.

As long as animals keep reproducing, and we keep hunting them, there will be meat.

"ZOMG I CAN'T EAT MEAT AT RESTAURANTS ON MONDAYS ANYMORE NOOO!!! :'("

This is overreacting. Also, doing this "ONLY to help the environment" is good. We should be helping the environment.
You can say that because you probably have 1,000 pieces of chocolate in your closet or some where in your house, lol. Also, if its only NO MEAT ONN MONDAY AT RESTAURANTS, just make a burger at home!

I'm all for helping the environment, and I have considered becoming a vegetarian a couple of times, but banning meat on Mondays seems a little kooky to me. Why Monday? I don't really think it will make people eat less meat, it will just make people buy their eat in advance. It's not going to help, it's just going to be a big inconvenience.

On the plus side, it would add a whole new level of humor to the Garfield comics. Yet another reason to hate Mondays.

Yeah, it means no lasagna for Garfield either.

This is dumb. You can't stop people from wanting to eat what they want to eat.

dmaster out.

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

Please Continue :D

42 chocolate said:
Also, for the record, Lent is a religious holiday.

Exactly.

There already IS a 'Meatless day'.

Lent is a free CHOICE to eat meat or not on Friday, so, this guy's efforts to stop people from eating meat on Mondays is ridiculous.

42 chocolate said:
I find it funny how both of your news articles are from Fox, and most of you seem to be focusing on the negative (our own satisfaction) rather than the positive (the effect on the environment.) I mean, really, is our own satisfaction more important than helping the environment?

Mostly because I don't support this law and I like Fox :D

Provide me with those positive articles and I'll happily add them

Back