Contest March 2023 CaC: Synergy: Stage 2 (All Results Up!)

Out of curiosity, PMJ, what would your appraisal of Permafrost Breath and Whiteout be after the appropriate errata to Seething Hoarfrost?
Still not very good. Icy Aura only works if Walrein ex is in the Active Spot, and while doubles exists as a format in this era, I'm not judging based on how well it performs in doubles. Attacking with Glalie ex means Walrein ex is benched and you are losing damage turn after turn since you don't have Icy Aura to nullify the healing that Seething Hoarfrost provides. The idea behind the attacks is still good, but Seething Hoarfrost makes Glalie ex an awful attacker on its own - it works much better as a partner for Walrein ex. The only difference now is that your opponent has some reprieve against the constant Bench battering from Water Arrow.

Note: May CaC Delayed

Hello, everypony, I am sad to announce that the next CaC is going to be delayed until June. Jabs had some laptop issues late in the month that were only resolved, like, yesterday, I think? Combined with other IRL stuff he's got going on, the decision was made to push the next CaC until June so he could focus on taking care of his business rather than try to rush everything.

With that said, I've got piping hot text scores for you all, so don't fret your pretty little heads. Image scores will come as Jibblywuff gets them done. In the meantime, we'd be interested in hearing about any possible CaC themes you'd be interested in seeing (or revisiting - we do run repeat months sometimes). We had a good discussion about it in our Discord last night. You should join if you haven't already.

Text-Based Results

Some really cool entries this month! This month's theme was an easy chance for you to really get those creative juices flowing. As always, finding extra ways to make your entry fit the theme is a good way to score higher in the Creativity column.

Also, I want to point out, again, that high marks in Wording can save your score. Even if your idea isn't the greatest, a perfect or close to perfect Wording score can cement your place on the podium just because of how easy it is to earn full marks in Believability on top of it.

If you're not a member of our Discord, I suggest joining our community to get some help with wording or other ideas. I know I'm always happy to help fellow image-based fakers fix things and push their scores higher.

Relicanth HP90 [F]
Basic Pokémon

[Ability] Restoration
Once during your turn,you may search in your deck for a Stage 2 [F] Pokémon,reveal it,and put it onto your bench.If you have fewer Pokémon in play than your opponent,search in your deck for a [F] Energy and attach it to that Pokémon.Then,shuffle your deck. You can’t use more than 1 Restoration Ability each turn.

[C][C] Ancient Seal
During your next turn,your opponent's Pokémon-GX have 30 HP less.

Weakness:[G]X2 Resistance:None Retreat Cost:[C][C][C]

My Thoughts
Part of me is glad that you tried solving the problem of getting Tyrantrum into play by using Relicanth to cheat it out. It's a bigger problem than simply not being able to do enough damage or having an expensive attack.

I like the fact that it's a once per turn type of thing. I personally don't care about removing the Fossil from the equation altogether. I have mixed feelings about it letting you get "Stage 2 F Pokemon." I'm all for unintended consequences, but the fact that this allows you to get TEU Omastar out on turn one is highly troubling. It is cool that it allows you to get UNM Garchomp out and possibly powered up in one turn for huge comeback potential, and CEC Seismitoad can be used to help pull specific cards out of your deck, but the fact that you can also get Omastar makes me think you should have narrowed this down a little more. Maybe you could put a Pokemon that evolves from a Fossil from your hand onto your Bench? Getting Tyrunt out consistently also supports Tyrantrum. Gotta keep game balance in mind here.

As far as the attack goes, I'm not really a fan. Tag Teams don't care about losing 30 HP as far as Tyrantrum is concerned, as 160 damage isn't nearly enough to OHKO them. It does let you get the drop on Lele and the rare Oricorio-GX, but I still don't think I would use this attack. And that mega whopper of a Retreat Cost isn't doing it any favors, although with an Ability like that, it's probably worth the risk of starting with it.

Wording errors:
General
- Pokedex info missing [-1 point]
Restoration
- (before your attack) missing [-1 point]
- Always capitalize Bench [-1 point]
- extra "in" in the second sentence [-1 point]
- "search your deck for a F Energy card (Tropius CEC) [-1 point]
Ancient Seal
- "your opponent's Pokemon-GX get -30 HP." (Island Challenge Amulet CEC) [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
(Definitely helps Tyrantrum out. Bonus point for allowing it to support other Pokemon, but I think it needs a bit more tweaking.)
Wording: 9/15
(You should join our Discord, we are growing all the time and would love to help you sort through wording issues.)
Believability/Playability: 13/15
(The turn one Item lock potential brings this down. Otherwise, it's good.)
Total: 39/50
Banette HP: 80 [P]
353.png
Stage 1: Evolves from Shuppet

banette.png

NO.354 Marionette Pokémon HT: 3'7" WT: 27.6 lbs.
Ability: Abandonment Grudge
If this Pokémon is discarded from your hand by an effect of an attack or Ability from either player's Pokémon, your opponent reveals their hand. Choose a card you find there and discard it.

[P] Fearful Revival
During your opponent's turn, if this Pokémon would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, you may return this Pokémon and all cards attached to it to your hand, then discard a card from your hand.

Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: [F] -30
Retreat: [C]

Resentment at being cast off made it spring into being. Some say treating it well will satisfy it, and it will once more become a stuffed toy.

My Thoughts
I actually really like Hatterene RCL. If it were easier to get out, I don't doubt that it would see more play, or at least make Bibarel more popular. I would have been happy with any of the cards I gave you, but I like this card (Hatterene) quite a bit.

After thinking about it for a while, I've decided that Abandonment Grudge is okay. Amoonguss SIT has a pretty bonkers Ability on paper, but since there are only two cards I could possibly find that would even trigger Surprise Spores, and both of them suck the big one (one of them being, incidentally, Hatterene RCL), the Ability itself is F tier. Actual non-Supporter hand disruption basically doesn't exist anymore, probably by design since they keep banning all of it in Expanded.

Being able to trigger Abandonment Grudge on your own, though, is pretty good. Mind Hat is obvious, but setup mons like Kirlia SIT can also take advantage of it (and give you more cards to Mind Hat away).

Honestly, I think Mind Hat is good enough that it doesn't need too much tweaking. Being able to pick the card they discard is a great advantage to have, but considering that cards like Bibarel exist to replenish a hand and make cards like Roxanne useless, I think you would have been better served by figuring out how to make Hatterene do more damage. Off the top of my head, maybe an Ability that puts some damage counters on the opponent's Active once it (Banette) gets discarded from any source. This might need a limiter on it somehow, but anything to help Hatterene hit harder is welcome in my book.

Considering this card is worth more dead than alive, I think I would have liked to see a way to get this out of play without relying on your opponent needing to kill it. Remember that this is a Stage 1 and attacking with it necessarily means evolving Shuppet on purpose, and I would never want to do that with this card. Just net it out of play bro. I'll give you credit for trying to make the attack work with Hatterene (it does fuel Dripping Grudge if you discard Banette after the fact, after all), but I'm not a fan of this attack. Think about it, what exactly are you recovering? A single Energy and a Shuppet? Not really worth it, I think.

Wording errors:
Fearful Revival
- Missing the word "next" in the beginning [-1 point]
- Should be "return this Pokemon and all attached cards" [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 15/20
(Yep, it makes Hatterene better on paper, but even with Banette's help, I'm only mildly inspired to take it out of the binder.)
Wording: 13/15
(Not bad)
Believability/Playability: 12/15
(Abandonment Grudge is a good bonus for Mind Hat but, in my opinion, tries to fix what isn't broken (or, rather, what is less broken). Fearful Revival is a terrible attack and barely helps advance your game plan, especially since it requires you to die in order to take advantage of some really paltry recovery.)
Total: 40/50
Keldeo – [F] – HP 140
Basic
Z4QnnU-NjzN8j9Q-HxDsFGoaEOXSuFltJSXFAhLp1WHE5dLB4Im84whIl2WYxsCHmjxfBodsnNzArC2HdWc1o1GgNBCP44QlcVaCS6lbbBtFx_XnUJiHvT4aszdtlPV5_e1vcLRl87JfT8VauFMAFmM

NO. 647 Colt Pokémon HT: 4’07” WT: 106.9 lbs.

Ability: Enraged Spirit
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may attach a number of [F] Energy from your discard pile to one of your Pokémon equal to the number of cards discarded during your last turn by your Pokémon’s attacks or abilities.

[F][C] Valiant Aura 70
You may look at the top card of your deck. If it is a basic Energy card, discard it. Otherwise, put it into your hand.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: None
They say that Keldeo must survive harsh battles and fully develop the horn on its forehead before this Pokémon's true power will awaken.

My Thoughts
Pretty neat. Enraged Spirit can be used after things like Refinement and Make Do, so it can provide acceleration even in the early game. Being able to load up Tyranitar in a single turn out of nowhere and keep on taking fat KOs is pretty on-brand for a Pokemon like Tyranitar. I like that the way Keldeo helps is by accelerating your already-discarded Energy and not by trying to mitigate the self-mill effect of Mountain Swing - it helps Keldeo stand on its own as a helper in its own right, which is made more obvious by its synergy with Kirlia and friends. Limiting Enraged Spirit to cards discarded by attacks or Abilities is key, so good job there. I couldn't find anything which would be particularly troublesome with this card's existence, so great job there.

Valiant Aura really seems almost like an afterthought, with an effect that basically boils down to "draw a card." Enraged Spirit is already doing some heavy lifting, so the attack doesn't have to be anything spectacular, I don't think. It works with Enraged Spirit, at least.

Overall, yeah, I like this. Its usage outside of Tyranitar decks is limited since you accelerate Fighting Energy, but the fact that cards like Kirlia SIT exist means there's always a possibility for greater usage outside of this specific use case. Good fake.

Wording errors:
Enraged Spirit
- Always capitalize "Abilities" [-1 point]
Valiant Aura
- Because discarding the Energy is mandatory, you have to reveal the top card of your deck instead of keeping it private. You could also keep the discarding effect optional by saying you may discard it. Either way, you need one of those options here. [-1 point]
- "Otherwise" hasn't been used since classic era. For this, just copy Gutsy Pickaxe: "If it is not an Energy card, put it into your hand. [-1 point]

(I like that it does its intended job without being shackled too closely to Tyranitar. Thinking of ways to use this card is fun.)
Wording: 12/15
(Looking at Gutsy Pickaxe would have saved you two points!)
Believability/Playability: 15/15
(No issues.)
Total: 44/50
Glalie ??110 HP(W)
STAGE 1
Evolves from Snorunt
When Pokémon-ex has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Poké-Body: Seething Hoarfrost
As long as Glalie ex is in play, each of your opponent’s Pokémon that has 4, 8, 12, 16, or 20 damage counters on it can’t use any Poké-Powers or Poké-Bodies other than Seething Hoarfrost. Remove 1 damage counter from each Active Pokémon (both yours and your opponent’s) between turns.
(W)(W) Permafrost Breath
Put up to 4 damage counters on the Defending Pokémon. You may discard 2 (W) Energy attached to Glalie ex. If you do, move up to 4 damage counters from 1 of your Pokémon to the Defending Pokémon instead.
(W)(W)(C)(C) Whiteout
Put 1 damage counter for each Pokémon in play that has any damage counters on it on any Pokémon (both yours and your opponent’s) in any way you like.
weakness:(M)
resistance:

retreat cost:(C)

My Thoughts
As a big fan of Ice-type Pokemon, I kinda like it, but Seething Hoarfrost desperately needs a limiter on it. In a format with very limited ways to force Walrein ex out of the Active Spot (and in many cases you can just bring up another one), Seething Hoarfrost can make your Active Pokemon practically invincible as you are healing up to 80 damage from it going back into your turn. Since Icy Aura and Seething Hoarfrost only affect each player's Active Pokemon, this leaves Walrein ex free to tear the opponent's Bench to ribbons with Water Arrow, cutting off key powers after a single usage. Water Arrow's damage means Benched Pokemon won't have any reprieve from Seething Hoarfrost.

Permafrost Breath and Whiteout almost seem like afterthoughts at this point. I like the idea of trying to manipulate the damage to lock Pokemon down, I like that you can opt to do a little bit of healing with it, and I like the idea of taking advantage of a heavily damaged board to take big KOs late in the game. But I'm not sure I'd ever use either of them since Seething Hoarfrost is making my fat 150-HP Stage 2 ex so bulky that Acid Rain Walrein is jealous.

Wording errors:
I almost feel like Permafrost Breath should say Energy cards here, but even Raichu HP omits the word, so I'm letting it slide. Full marks here.

(It's a joy to read your analyses and to see how much thought you put into these. Bonus point for the Glacia reference in your Pokemon selection, you probably couldn't have picked a better Pokemon as a partner.)
Wording: 15/15
(No real issues.)
Believability/Playability: 11/15
(Seething Hoarfrost's healing is a bit too much when you make it stackable. When you're healing this much damage, if you don't have some seriously strong hitters, you are going to be hard pressed to overcome Walrein ex before he can lock you out of the game by shutting off Claydol and then hitting a Rocket's Admin. to low.)
Total: 43/50
Basic - Radiant Trubbish - 90 [D]
1680292355103.png
Radiant Pokémon Rule
You can't have more than one Radiant Pokémon in your deck.

Ability: Collection Sharing
While this Pokémon is on your bench, treat any Tool card attached to this Pokémon as if it were attached to both Active Pokémon.

[C] Garbage Collector
Put up to 2 Item cards from your discard pile into your hand.

W - [F] | R - | Retreat - [C]

It is said Trubbish were born when a chemical reaction occurred between an abandoned trash bag and industrial waste.

My Thoughts
Interesting card. Collection Sharing definitely makes me want to find ways to abuse it, but it also raises some questions, like how does Emergency Jelly interact with it? Do you just get a free 120 heal every time you get knocked into low health? Does Box of Disaster turn all of your Pokemon V into time bombs?

The situation you described, where you do 180 damage to all of your opponent's Pokemon, is pretty wild, and sounds like the extreme end of things. Mew VMAX is certainly trembling in its boots a little, and I don't think that's a bad thing. As a partner for Jumpluff, I think it's great. Many Tools increase your damage output, and being able to double up on them gives Jumpluff a much-needed boost in power, so much so that it might be scraping the lower limits of busted (1 Energy for 240 damage on a non-Radiant one-Prizer with no drawback or weird requirement is pretty crazy), but I'm going to give it a pass since 240 is barely enough to take out Pokemon V.

I like that it forces you to give the same effect to your opponent, and that the effect isn't generalized towards Jumpluff specifically, or Rapid Strike Pokemon in general, as the effect can backfire on you if you use a general tool like Air Balloon or Cape of Toughness, or even some niche Tools like Windup Arm or Panic Mask. You could even be cheeky and attach Hero's Medal to it to give your opponent's VMAX a nasty surprise when they come up front.

The card is strong, but not so strong that it objectively outclasses all other Radiant Pokemon, which is the mark of good design, I think. Garbage Collector's effect is fine, given that it's a Radiant Pokemon. It's too bad that under SV rules you can't get Tools back with this attack anymore, but I'm not judging this under SV rules, so hey, cool way to get Tools back!

Great card overall. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Wording errors:
Collection Sharing
- "As long as this Pokemon is on your Bench..." (Whiscash RCL) [-2 points]
- "...any Pokemon Tool card..." [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 18/20
(I think the mechanic behind Collection Sharing is great. Fantastic use of a Radiant Pokemon. My only gripe, if you can even call it that, is that by choosing Trubbish you seem to be leaning into the less interesting attack rather than focusing on the much more interesting effect of sharing its Tool with others. "Garbage Collector" is a boring attack name with a boring effect, and even though it makes sense for a Pokemon like Trubbish, it's been done to death and that's the only thing that really hurts your fake. I would have much preferred to see any Pokemon known for sharing or being kind in its spot instead, especially since it's a (text-based) Radiant Pokemon and it's gonna be a Basic anyway! If this had been something like Blissey, I think you would have earned the full 20 here. Still, the card is excellent on its own merits.)
Wording: 12/15
(You said you used Radiant Hisuian Sneasler as a reference, but I don't know what you used it for.)
(No issues here. This would absolutely see some play, even outside of Jumpluff decks.)
Total: 45/50
Porygon-Z – [C] – HP120
Stage 2 – Evolves from Porygon2

NO. 474 Virtual Pokémon HT: 2’11” WT: 75.0 lbs.

Poké-Power: Dynamic Converter
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may choose 1 of your opponent's Pokémon and a basic Energy card attached to Porygon-Z. That Pokémon is the same type as the basic Energy card you chose until the end of your opponent's next turn. This power can't be used if Porygon-Z is affected by a Special Condition.

[C] Data Desynthesizer
Does 20 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon that are affected by any Poké-Powers or Poké-Bodies from your Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: Fighting (+30)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C] [C]

My Thoughts
All right, not bad, not bad. Props for taking advantage of existing support cards to determine your entry, that's good. On paper, Porygon-Z certainly helps Metagross do its thing, but is it worth it? Given that Dynamic Converter requires you to have Energy attached to Porygon-Z to use, and given that Metagross's Geo Impact has a heavy Metal Energy cost, chances are low that you will actually have the correct color of Energy attached to Porygon-Z in order to change a Pokemon's type to something Geo Impact will hit. Additionally, Data Desynthesizer doesn't really help Metagross at all--Metagross helps Porygon-Z, in this case--and as such, outside of the Metagross use case, Porygon-Z becomes completely laughable and not worth the cardboard it's printed on.

Strictly as a partner for Metagross, sure, it technically works, but there are ways to make it support Metagross without being so narrowly focused on it. Here's how I'd fix it. First, instead of requiring a specific type of Energy, you could change the requirement to having a Stadium in play (having Conductive Quarry specifically in play comes to mind, but that might be a little too specific) and then allowing the player to just pick a type. Now Peezy becomes a much more flexible option and doesn't force you to waste attachments or kill your consistency by running a bunch of one-of Energy cards in the hopes you hit the jackpot. As for the attack, the effect is a little interesting, but there are so few cards that apply a constant global effect to your opponent's Pokemon the way Metagross does, it seems much too limiting to be useful. The way the attack is now, it makes me want to use Porygon-Z, not Metagross, and it doesn't make sense to support Metagross by usurping its role as an attacker. Maybe, since you need a Stadium in play (like Conductive Quarry?), you could use Porygon-Z's attack to pull 3 Stadium cards from your discard pile. Now it helps Metagross without being explicitly shackled to Metagross. Get it?

Wording errors:
General
- Flavor text is missing. As of Arceus, For non-Pokemon SP, flavor text is only omitted if the card in question has a Poke-Power or Poke-Body and two attacks. Since this card only has one attack, the flavor text would not be omitted. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(Does what it sets out to do, even if a bit ineffectively. Bonus point for incorporating Porygon2's support into choosing the Pokemon for your entry.)
Wording: 14/15
(No major issues.)
(Dynamic Converter could have been fun but it's too gimmicky for my liking. The attack makes me want to swarm Porygon-Z than try to make it work with Metagross.)
Total: 42/50
Vespiquen – G – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Combee

NO. 416 Beehive Pokémon HT: 3’11” WT: 84.9 lbs.

Ability: Sticky Nectar
When your opponent tries to use a Trainer card to remove a Special Condition from their Active Pokémon, they flip a coin. If tails, the Special Condition is not removed. You can't apply more than 1 Sticky Nectar Ability at at a time.

[G] Pollen Dance 40
Heal 30 damage from 1 of your Pokémon for each basic G Energy attached to that Pokémon.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat:
It houses its colony in cells in its body and releases various pheromones to make those grubs do its bidding.

My Thoughts
It's a good effort. You have a clear thought process, and drafting your card around Swift Sting is great, but I think the card falls a little short. Let me explain.

Sticky Nectar sounds great on paper until you realize that the only Trainer cards that can be used to heal Special Conditions are Full Heal and Life Herb, and that neither of them saw play despite existing alongside Hypnotoxic Laser. When you can play a switching card, retreat, or evolve to get rid of the Special Conditions that Swift Sting inflicts, it makes Sticky Nectar seem a lot less useful when it's so restricted like that. An interesting alternative would be to make Special Conditions more debilitating, like putting 6 damage counters on a Confused Pokemon and inflicting double poison damage. Maybe say your opponent can't attach Energy to their Pokemon that are affected by 2 or more Special Conditions. There's nothing you can do about the effects going away when the target moves to the Bench, but there are more meaningful ways to make confusion and poison hurt than to prevent removal by a method no one was ever going to use anyway.

Alternatively, you could change the effect to heal Pokemon by a little every time they retreat. That would be unique and let you switch from Beedrill to Beedrill while using some minor healing along with Vespiquen to keep them healthy.

As far as the attack is concerned, you have stiff competition from Lilligant NVI, who can fully heal 1 of your Benched Pokemon, no questions asked, for [G]. Maybe to help Beedrill, you can use the attack to shuffle 2 Pokemon from your discard pile into your deck? A recovery attack to help get Beedrill pieces back would be quite useful, and allows Vespiquen to assist other Grass decks as well.

Wording errors:
Sticky Nectar
- "Whenever your opponent tries to..." [-1 point]

(Blocking Special Condition removal basically doesn't exist, in favor of outright preventing them, but there's certainly a niche for it.)
Wording: 14/15
(Only one simple error, nice work.)
(In a format with Hypnotoxic Laser, being able to preserve Special Conditions could be huge, but the card as written doesn't go far enough in carving out the aforementioned niche.)
Total: 42/50
Hoopa– Type – HP70
Basic

NO. 720 Djinn Pokémon HT: 1’08” WT: 19.8 lbs.

Ability: Fractured Space
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a card from your hand. If you do, you may play this Pokémon from your hand as a Stadium card. While this card is in play as a Stadium card, evolved Pokémon in play (excluding Pokémon-EX) have [C] more Retreat Cost but their attacks cost [C] less.

[C] Space Leap 20
Shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck. If there is no Stadium card in play, put this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your hand.

Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
It gathers things it likes and passes them through its loop to teleport them to a secret place.

My Thoughts
Not bad. It's a neat way to both get the damage increase from Primordial Boom and make it easier to use.

Space Leap is a fun way to suicide if you ever feel like scooping in style, or to get it out of play, like you said.

It's a serviceable fake. Not sure how I feel about Hoopa itself turning into a Stadium, but I guess I can sorta see it if I squint real hard. There are certainly far worse Pokemon you could have used.

Wording errors:
General
- Hoopa Confined is the "Mischief" Pokemon, you've got Hoopa Unbound's classification here. (But the height and weight are correct, at least.) [-1 point]
Fractured Space
- "Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is in your hand, you may discard..." (Klefki STS) [-1 point]
- "...you may put this Pokemon as a Stadium card into play." (Dusknoir LV.X) [-2 points]
- "As long as you have this Pokemon as a Stadium card in play..." (Dusknoir LV.X) [-2 points]
- "...the attacks of each evolved Pokemon in play is [C] more, and the Retreat Cost for each evolved Pokemon in play is [C] more. (Team Aqua's Muk DCR, Trevenant BKT) [-3 points]

(A simple fake, but it gets the job done. There are a lot of Pokemon that could benefit from having an Energy cut from their costs.)
Wording: 7/15
(Some large errors, some small. Sometimes, when there are no recent references, you can use existing wording from a previous era.)
(Absolutely playable. A searchable Dimension Valley that everything gets access to? Yeah, I'll take a couple, thanks.)
Total: 38/50

3rd Place: Charmaster:)’s Glalie ex, with 43/50 points.
2nd Place: LightningSpence836’s Keldeo, with 44/50 points.
1st Place: Buddy2707’s Radiant Trubbish, with 45/50 points.

Congrats to the top three! I'm very pleased to see text-based get more and more competitive - you guys are really putting out some good work. Remember to work on that wording, and don't forget to ask for help!
Super happy I was able to take 1st place this month with one of my favorite decks! ?

Image-Based Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

Thanks for your patience with results this round, everyone. Here they are!

This was a more experimental round than usual — we’ve asked for synergy before for rounds like React Energy, but we’ve never sent contestants individual cards that are different from everybody else's. From a judging perspective, I think things went well! Everyone gave one of their assigned cards at least some level of incorporation in their final entry, and you were able to use those interactions to let some incredible creativity shine through.

I’m also curious for your thoughts, though. This is a type of theme we might like to run again someday (though probably with something other than Stage 2s), so we’d like to know how your enjoyment this month compared to other types of themes. How easy was it to pick one of the three cards you were sent? How easy was it to use that card as a starting point for a custom card? How many iterations did your entry go through before you submitted it? That kind of thing.

On the point-awarding / point-docking end of things, I wanted to commend everyone for a great showing in the Wording category this month. I saw a lot of people asking for help in our Custom Card Community Discord before submitting, and it clearly paid off! Almost all wording errors this month were minor stylistic things, like italics or number of spaces, rather than major syntax errors. Which is great! Just don’t forget to double-check those stylistic things. :p

We’ll be back soon with the next round, which will be longer than usual to get us back on schedule. See you in June!

~~Jabberwock

darkraideltacontest-png.17442

Synergizes with: Infernape SF

Kicking things off with a cross-era entry! It does a great job of being an anachronism (a Fairy(?)-type Darkrai in Generation III) without looking in any way out of place. The art draws the eye in an excellent way, from the brighter red of Darkrai’s neck crown thing down its arm to the glowing sparkles in the lower right. The soft pink glow really sells the Delta typing, and I’m intrigued as ever by the “oldening” of the blank I’ve come to expect from your cards. I seem to recall you saying it’s some combination of a noise filter and a blur? Whatever you’re doing, it’s working — the card looks just like an old scan.

Somehow, I also remember you saying you build your cards piece by piece, Frankenstein-ing together a blank from bits of other blanks rather than trying to create elements like textures from scratch. If that’s true, I can hardly begin to understand where you started with this one — we haven’t had any ex-era [M]/[C] dual types before! It’s truly incredible; there’s something in my brain that just refuses to believe this card is a fake.

As far as the theme goes, the synergy is there, though it’s a little light. An obvious problem keeping Infernape from being good is that this super powerful effect only activates 50% of the time, so boom, give the player a second shot at it. It’s a natural place to go if you’re trying to make Infernape better.

But while it mitigates the downside of the coin flip effect, it doesn’t address the underlying issue with it — that luck-based effects are very hard to do well with, especially in the ex era and DPPt. A 75% chance to accelerate 4 Energy is pretty good, but the remaining 25% of the time, you’re still left with nothing. An effect that “fixes” the coin flip, like Will CEC, potentially with additional costs to use, might be the more gameplay-oriented way to tackle this — that way, the player is more in control, even if they have to meet somewhat steeper costs to get there. That’s generally preferable to trusting things to the roll of the dice.

Another minor note: I’d like to see an attack that takes full advantage of Infernape’s Poké-Power! This one does 40 for (e.g.) [R], but you could take advantage of that in any deck that plays Basic Energy. Infernape’s big attack is cool in its own right, but if you’re going to the trouble of setting it up with Darkrai for support, you would probably hope for other strong options, too.

You’ve clearly put thought into the effects, and I can totally sympathize with not having a huge Pokémon TCG gameplay background to draw on. Fortunately, many of our members are only too willing to help out! It’s great to have a community you can draw on for help with effects and such as needed — brainstorming, fine-tuning, and all the rest. It’s also great that you’re already showing so much attention to detail (a Fairy-type Delta Species Darkrai?) — I’m super excited to see what you do with it in the future.

Wording errors:
- On ex-era dual-type cards, the first type listed in the “Delta Species rule” is the type corresponding to the symbol you see in the top right. So for the Energy symbol on this card, it should properly say “This Pokémon is both [C][M] type.” [-1 point] Edit: PMJ has brought to my attention that you may have meant the card to be [M][C] type, which would preserve the order of types used in attack costs, modern sets, etc. The exact pattern of the texturing would be the giveaway here, but it seems your texturing doesn't correspond 1:1 with real Delta Species cards, so I can't use that as a guide. What I'll say here is that the type symbol and dual-type rule text should match, so I must still dock the [-1 point], but it would be up to you which one you change.

Fonts and Placement errors:
- ex-era names should be in Gill Sans Bold Condensed — compare the “Darkrai” here to, for example, Dark Gyarados. [-0.5 point]
- This era could be all over the place in terms of text width and kerning, but I don’t believe I’ve ever seen the attack text squished horizontally this much. It’s about right for DPPt, but I can’t make it work for the ex era. [-0.5 point]

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(You’ve clearly thought hard about the direction for this card: from composing the art to the “Fairy-type Darkrai scares things away and then attacks them with rainbows” part of your entry notes, the whole thing screams intentional design. I could wish for greater attention to the theme, though — this way, it feels a little like you ticked a box by giving Infernape a second coin flip and then went off in a different direction entirely for the attack.)
Believability/Playability: 9/15
(It’s definitely on the strong side. 40 for [R] is quite powerful for a Basic Pokémon in this era, and devolving any of your opponent’s Pokémon as an on-drop effect can be devastating in a format with Rare Candy. These effects can probably be fine-tuned without overhauling them completely — capping the attack at 20 or 30 would be appropriate, and I think limiting Cosmic Fear to the opponent’s Active Pokémon would be a good fix there. As a more minor note, I also find it hard to see this card without [P] Resistance, since virtually all ex-era [D] Pokémon had it.)
Wording: 9/10
(Minor dual-type error.)
Fonts and Placement: 4/5
(A couple minor errors.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Man oh man, where to begin? I think it suffices to say that I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that this is a custom card!)
Total: 39/50
swagsire-3-png.17457

Synergizes with: Blastoise PL

The art is pretty! It’s quite dark; I think perhaps you could have done with brightening the whole thing in addition to the Quagsires, making the river and such stand out a bit more. But the muted colors work great with the Fighting blank, and the holosheet application is nice.

On Marsh Waves, spreading that much damage is a pretty strong effect, so I think it’s a good choice for a 3-Energy attack that you need to set up Blastoise in order to stream. Blastoise cares about the top of the deck, the format in general cares about the top and the bottom of the deck, so it makes sense to make a card that acts as a go-between for those two zones.

I like that you’re thinking about the broader context of the format. As staples go, it’s hard to get more staple-y than Claydol in mid-DP, so any card trying to synergize with it is definitely looking in the right direction. I’m not sure just putting cards back on the top of the deck really does it, though — bottoming cards is generally viewed as a positive feature of Claydol’s Poké-Power, helping you get rid of cards you don’t want in a format famously light on discarding options. It’s pretty rare that you use Cosmic Power and think, “Wow, I really wish I had those cards back right now.”

So I think the card’s main utility will remain with Blastoise, helping you cycle your Energy between Dig Well and Marsh Waves, and hey — that ain’t a bad thing. I can see Blastoise needing this to be good, and this certainly needs Blastoise. Can’t ask for better synergy than that!

Wording errors:
- The parentheses surrounding “before your attack” should be italicized like the text they contain. This is true for any reminder text clause. [-0.5 point]

- The “Evolves from Wooper” text should be italicized. Futura is the correct typeface, but I believe the exact font is something like Futura LT Heavy Oblique (checked against Meta’s DP blanks). [-0.5 point]
It looks like you’ve moved the flavor text down by around 30 px. DPPt keeps the flavor text in the same spot by convention, and while there were occasional formatting outliers back then, I’m not aware of any cards where the flavor text jumps around to make room for more attack text. You can squeeze the text more to fit inside the allotted room (see Alakazam MT or Deoxys LA for 7-line examples of this), or remove the flavor text entirely if you decide you need more room. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(The synergy with Blastoise is great. I also like that your design direction was to try and benefit from the format’s overall bottom-deck dependency, though I’m not sure it quite panned out in practice, at least as far as Claydol is concerned. Still, for Blastoise, it works. Good answer to the theme!)
(Well designed! A strong effect gives you a reason to play it, but you need Blastoise or another comparable Energy accelerator to do so, and DPPt is light on those overall. Not too strong, but I imagine it would make for some interesting games.)
Wording: 9.5/10
(Parentheses.)
Fonts and Placement: 3.5/5
(Italics again, and unfortunately can’t move flavor text around that way.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Cute art! Brightening the Quagsires was a great touch. The art is still a little dark, so the last point here would come from bringing out some more of the background details.)
Total: 45/50
dfqosoy-389321ff-156d-4453-9ec3-4c3e43eda47a.png

Synergizes with: Koga’s Beedrill G2

Your holosheet work is on point as ever. The colors of the background sky blend so seamlessly, it looks hard to apply a holo effect without washing it all out — but it seems like you’ve managed it here! My favorite part is that you’ve gotten the blending modes just right to make the “stars” and sparkles take on the background color, rather than all just being white. I don’t get to see that too often with a galaxy holosheet.

My one gripe with the art is that it’s very unusual for any part of the image other than the Pokémon to be uncovered by the holosheet, the way the ground is here. It’s a pretty effect; it’s just inaccurate to the TCG’s way of doing things. I would suggest giving the ground a lighter version of the same holosheet, like Giovanni’s Nidoking has here.

On the effects … well, Koga’s Beedrill makes you flip coins, so Koga’s Venomoth lets you reflip them if you don’t like the result. This is how the TCG has been tackling coin-flip mitigation for years, all the way back to Victini NVI, in the modern era, or Sabrina’s ESP, if you’re willing to go back a little farther. It’s a time-tested strategy, and often it works! But it’s not exactly the most original approach to fixing a card’s coin flips.

There are other parts of Koga’s Beedrill’s attacks that would have been interesting to play around with, too. You could go for the Special Condition angle, making Paralyzed or Poisoned an even more threatening condition to be affected by. You could mitigate the restrictions of Hyper Needle by introducing some way for it to be reused. You could even give Beedrill’s HP a buff, helping it stick around longer to hopefully do more damage with its flippy attacks. Point is, there’s a lot of material there to work with!

Shield Dust is an interesting idea for an attack, but unfortunately I don’t think it ties into the Pokémon Power or Koga’s Beedrill very well. It can Poison the Defending Pokémon, but Koga’s Beedrill can do that too, and by making your opponent flip the coin, you don’t even get to benefit from Ninja Tactics to make it likelier to stick. The one benefit it does provide is a potentially much-needed defensive attack for a deck that otherwise runs fast and doesn’t have many defenses to speak of, so that helps — I just wish it were more reliable.

Wording errors:
- I would probably use “for each attack” rather than “each turn” for the one-at-a-time Pokémon Power qualifier, referencing Unown [A] rather than Unown [X]. But it’s a reference pool of 1 card either way, and this era is crazy enough with wording already, so who’s to say. [-0 points]
- Everything else looks good!

- Looks good.

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(Shield Dust is interesting, even if it’s not particularly synergistic with the rest of the card or with Koga’s Beedrill. For me, though, Ninja Tactics leaves a lot to be desired from an originality standpoint.)
(Balancing looks fine! The effects could probably be pushed a little further, if anything.)
Wording: 10/10
(No big issues.)
Fonts and Placement: 5/5
(Looks good.)
Aesthetics: 4.5/5
(Excellent holosheet application! The art is a wonderful choice and looks right at home on a fancy WotC-era card. However, if you’re going to apply a holosheet, strictly speaking it should be applied to all non-Pokémon areas of the art. Only half a point docked because the effect is still very nice.)
Total: 44.5/50
mimikyu.png

Synergizes with: Luxray BRS

Interesting take on the art! You’ve long been willing to make a stab with illustration types a lot of fakers wouldn’t touch (remember those papercraft models?), and I like that you’ve tried to lend this one some extra legitimacy by connecting it to the “Pokémon with jobs” cards. I’m not sure the art needs it, necessarily — it’s not as wacky as the papercrafts — but it’s a cool touch.

At first glance, both effects seem like pretty standard places to start with Luxray BRS. The first attack does more damage if the Defending Pokémon has more Energy attached, so you attach more Energy to it from the opponent’s discard pile. Once you look at potential prevos and you see Luxio RCL, rearranging the top X cards of your deck becomes a natural secondary effect.

You mention a couple gameplay applications I appreciated. Punishing the opponent for playing Special Energy and letting you extend your damage boost beyond 100 is great for Embellish. 70 HP letting you absorb two Flash Impacts is also good — a very DP-player thing to notice. I like the fact that you considered prevos at all: it would have been easy to go with a Tapu Lele CRZ–like attack, like you said you almost did. But that would have been essentially an Energy Crush clone, and then what’s the point of playing Luxray BRS at all? This is the more nuanced choice.

That’s basically where I’m at on the effects. Initially kneejerk responses for improving Luxray’s Energy Crush and Luxio’s Top Entry, with a couple twists to make me go “oh, huh”. I think where it really shines is that it does what the prompt asked it to do — taking a card you got and making it better — and it does it very cleanly: adding those two Energy takes all the inconsistency out of Luxray’s attack, and with multiple Mimikyu in a turn, it makes it very possible to stream huge one-Energy attacks from a Stage 2 Pokémon.

Wording errors:
- All looks good.

- Alright so this is dumb but I did the research so I’m gonna lay it out there. TPCi changed the “small name text” font in SwSh. Compare the “Alolan” in Alolan Vulpix CEC to Alolan Vulpix V. See how it’s a little more horizontally squished now? My best guess is they squished it at the beginning to accommodate “Galarian” as a longer word, and then just didn’t bother to un-squish it when they wanted to make Alolan Pokémon (or Special Delivery Pokémon) later. HOWEVER, and this is what really gets me, they used the old width for the “on the Ball” promos and only the “on the Ball promos”. So is it wrong? I’m going to dock [-0.5 point] because I believe this was catchable: there are many, many examples of squished small name text, and only five “on the Ball” promos. Furthermore, the more natural reference for a name like this is one with small text at the beginning of the name, not the end like “on the Ball”. (Finally, separately, you might also take a look at the size of that text — I think your px size might be 1 or 2 px too small.)
- Whew. That should be everything. Nice work on the rest, as usual!

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(The effects certainly address the prompt, but they’re pretty natural effects to go with, and I can’t say I was too surprised when I read the card. I do like the thoughtfulness with which you chose “Energy” over “basic Energy” in Embellish, and your attention to details like 70 HP vs two Flash Impacts, but at the end of the day it’s just a pretty realistic support mon for Luxray. Good answer to the theme, but still room for creativity.)
(Embellish being an easily repeatable effect on a Basic Pokémon lets it take Luxray from an unreliable gimmick to a real contender. Well thought through.)
Wording: 10/10
(Looks good.)
Fonts and Placement: 4.5/5
(See above.)
(This is an interesting new take on the SwSh holosheet, but I think the blending could be tuned a little further. The part over the diagonal stripes on the background patch is especially hard to look at. Still, the art is great, and I like that it was the starting point for so much of the card’s flavor.)
Total: 45.5/50
zoroarkvmaxfinaldraft-png.17512

Synergizes with: Grimmsnarl RCL

Wowee, that art makes a statement, all right! I can see ishmam’s illustrations on a VMAX as an alternate-art kind of thing — alt arts get pretty wacky in terms of art styles, so I don’t have too much trouble envisioning a high-saturation, almost comic book–looking piece like this one. However, I’m not sure this card is completely doing it justice! The main thing is that the Pokémon’s face should almost never be behind any text, since it’s the focal point of the card. I could also wish for some attempt at texturing and a holosheet, but ultimately that’s secondary. If you get the framing right, that’ll go for miles.

With the Ability copying Abilities and the attack copying attacks, it looks like your main thought here was, “Okay, these effects aren’t fundamentally bad, Stage 2s are just too hard to play,” so you got rid of the Stage 2 part and made both effects usable as-is on a basically-Stage-1 Pokémon instead. That’s an interesting choice, and I have to say I didn’t see it coming for this theme. Part of me wants to quibble with it being “synergy” at all, since you’re just using the same Ability and attack on a different Pokémon, and it works for any powerful [D] Pokémon in the format — Zoroark VMAX doesn’t really synergize specifically with Grimmsnarl.

Does it make Grimmsnarl better? Sure, some minor balancing concerns aside, I believe it makes Grimmsnarl better. But mechanically, it doesn’t change much apart from the Pokémon’s effective Stage. There are interesting gameplay applications if you sort through the whole list of [D] Pokémon it can copy, trying to find the most synergistic overall combinations available to you, but by then we’re kinda getting away from the spirit of the theme.

Those combinations are exciting, and I do respect the originality with which you tried to make this applicable to the whole format! But sometimes, the most exciting designs come from zeroing in on a particular niche. Punishing the opponent when they attach Energy, putting additional restrictions on their Energy attachments, making it generally harder for them to even find Energy — these are all options I’d be interested to explore in connection with Grimmsnarl, probably more so than a generic “take these effects and put them on a Stage 1 instead.”

Wording errors:
- I think Aerodactyl VSTAR is the ideal reference for the Ability — the bit where it “gains an Ability” with a given effect, rather than being able to “use” that Ability. This is because Abilities regularly get removed from their Pokémon through effects like Canceling Cologne, so there’s ambiguity when a Pokémon “can use” an Ability without “having” it. [-2 points]
- The “é”s in the attack’s reminder text aren’t italicized like the rest of the clause. [-0.5 point]
- The reminder text should contain an “etc.” after the “Pokémon-GX”. [-1 point]

- Looks good.

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(Keeping the gameplay largely the same and simply reducing Stages by one isn’t a route I expected anyone to choose! But I think you might have cast your net a little too wide for this theme. The gameplay potential of this card is more about finding interesting synergistic combinations across a format’s entire cardpool, rather than supporting Grimmsnarl RCL in particular.)
Believability/Playability: 10/15
(A couple Believability notes: [D] Pokémon in SwSh are no longer weak to [F] unless they get their [D] typing from being Poison-type, and I just can’t see a modern Pokémon card “attaching” another card without attaching it as a Pokémon Tool or a Special Energy. One Playability note: [D][D][D] is quite a challenging cost! I might suggest dropping Surprise Shadow to [D][D], to help the card accomplish its goal of making certain attacks easier to use.)
Wording: 6.5/10
(A couple minor errors in the reminder clause, and one nitpick about the Ability wording.)
Fonts and Placement: 5/5
(Looks good.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(I like the idea of using ishmam’s art in an alt-art style, and to do so on a VMAX is especially bold! But I think Zoroark’s face probably ought not to be obscured by the text, and some texturing or holosheets would take it a long way further.)
Total: 35.5/50
kpcac18_galarian_perrserker-png.17519

Synergizes with: Empoleon BRS

This is quite a creative take! Control decks usually aren’t top of mind for most people when they’re making custom cards, and I can think of barely any other CaC entries I’ve ever seen that have gone for it. On the list of things I would have thought of when reading Empoleon BRS, control is pretty far down the list — which might be my own bias, since you’ve clearly made it work well here. Props for an inventive strategy!

So the intention here is to burn through your excess resources as quickly as you can, getting as many of the things you might need as possible into the discard pile, and then falling into a rhythm where you get to choose approximately three cards a turn, one from the deck and two from the discard pile. This is basically what a lot of other control decks have to work with, too, if you look at effects like Steven’s Resolve or Magical Ribbon, so I don’t have a hard time seeing it work.

A potential concern is that in addition to a very efficient control engine, you can do 80 damage a turn with an easily streamable Stage 1 attack, where other control decks have historically not really been able to put damage pressure on the opponent as well. However, I think this is a fair trade-off to make given that you’re relying on essentially just those three cards a turn, and otherwise most of your resources wind up in the discard pile, where you can’t just happen to draw into them.

The tools are all there, but I imagine it would take quite a skilled player to pull this off. Certainly an interesting card!

Tangentially, I also like the nod to the Galarian Meowth that helps you discard cards to search out its Evolution. I’m not sure I buy that it’s so hard to discard cards in this format that Meowth will drastically help you on your path to activating Empoleon’s Ability, but it’s a nice touch nonetheless.

Wording errors:
- The straight apostrophe in “Captain’s” should be curly instead. I generally let this slide when it comes up in attack text (in cases like “don’t” or “opponent’s”), but it’s a lot more noticeable in an attack name. [-1 point]
- Pokédex info in the middle bar should have two spaces, not one, between the number, the “[___] Pokémon”, the “HT”, and the “WT”. [-0.5 point]

- The “KPCAC18” text should be italicized. [-0.5 point]

Creativity/Originality: 14/15
(Nicely done! I like that you envision it as a control deck playing out of the discard pile — I think that’s underexplored territory, and you manage to craft a route to it out of Empoleon BRS very effectively here. The last point here might come from doing something with Empoleon’s attack — I think it’s a bit of a shame to let that fall by the wayside. Still, excellent work!)
(The ability to take any card you like out of the deck and any two cards out of the discard pile makes for quite a threatening control deck, and as a Stage 1 with a [C][C] attack it’s quite easy to stream. However, in the end that’s essentially all you get, since you’re trying to burn through your hand so fast to keep taking advantage of Empoleon’s Ability, and 3 new cards a turn is roughly what most other control decks have to work with.)
Wording: 8.5/10
(A couple minor stylistic errors.)
(Don’t forget about the bottom text!)
(It looks good — the Perrserker is eye-catching, and the holosheet blends nicely with the background. It doesn’t wow me, exactly, but it’s a nice tidy holo SwSh Stage 1.)
Total: 46/50
starmie-4-png.17664

Synergizes with: Kingdra BUS

I know the art was one of the big sticking points on this card — starting with a Staryu by mistake, and then trying a couple different things before settling on this one. First things first: I want to encourage you to go big with art! Holosheets are only part of the battle — stuff like unusual art styles, box-breaking illustrations (if you can justify them), and your own modifications can all go a long way. In general, the art you choose can be the difference between somebody reading your card and not reading it.

On ishmam’s art in particular — it’s awesome; there’s a reason so many people use it. But the flip side of that is that I’ve seen a lot of ishmam illustrations on SM-era blanks over the years. The holosheet application on this one is nice and the colors blend well with the blank, two things working in your favor that certainly aren’t the case for every card I’ve seen with an ishmam illustration. But I think you could have gone bolder.

Paradigm Shift is a great Ability, so great I hesitate to give the green light to a version of it that can be used multiple times in a turn if the player has multiple Starmie. But I think it’s okay — the opponent can play around it by just not ending their turn with a heavily damaged Pokémon in the Active Spot, and it’s not like it lets you inflict additional damage you didn’t already do. So sure, it helps spread Pokémon — drastically helps Kingdra’s Tornado Shot math — and it just might be what Kingdra needs to succeed. It would make for a fun spread deck!

That said, I could wish for a more exciting attack than Strange Signals. I get that Starmie is never intended to see the Active Spot at all, but an attack for [W][W] is so far above what a Kingdra-focused deck is ever likely to achieve that you’ve only cemented its status as a Bench-sitter. It might as well not matter what the attack actually does, since you’ll never have the chance to use it, even if it’s dragged Active by a Guzma or other gusting card. Even Bench-sitting support Pokémon deserve usable attacks!

Wording errors:
- Pokédex info in the middle bar should have two spaces between the number, the “[___] Pokémon”, the “HT”, and the “WT”. [-0.5 point]
- “is Confused” → “is now Confused”. [-1 point]

- The Pokédex info text looks quite bold — double-check that you don’t have Faux Bold or any unusual text styles on. [-0.5 point]

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(Paradigm Shift addresses the prompt well, synergizing with Kingdra to form the underpinnings of a strong deck. I believe there’s room to expand on Kingdra further using Starmie’s attack, though, which right now doesn’t do too much of use.)
(The ability to move damage from the Active Pokémon to the Bench, 30 at a time, would be a huge boon for spread decks like Kingdra. In this case, I do believe this could make the difference between a niche gimmick and a meta deck.)
Wording: 8.5/10
(A couple minor errors.)
(Bolding on Pokédex info text.)
(Holosheet works nicely, as do the colors blending with the blank. Still, you could go bolder!)
Total: 43/50

3rd Place: SleepyBoi’s Quagsire, with 45/50 points.
2nd Place: PMJ’s Seamstress Mimikyu, with 45.5/50 points.
1st Place: Kaleidophoenix’s Galarian Perrserker, with 46/50 points.

Congratulations, and see you in the next round!

Last edited:
Congrats to the winners. Apologies to everyone I helped with the wording and stuff and still got dinged for stuff I missed. Looking forward to trying out my SV placement guide for the true litmus test of how well I did the placements (until then I would suggest using it at your own peril next month).

Some final comments on this CaC
I enjoyed it so much! Appreciate the help on the Discord, especially the PMJ's wording pro tips. Didn't think about asking for balancing expertise on help thou, dumb me, I'll be sure to try next time.
About the card, I wanted to make it [C] [M] you guessed correctly the first time, I just messed up the order in the Delta Rule lol. As for how I made the dual type texture, I just put two layers, one with [C] and one with [M], on top of each other and partly erased the top one as I saw fit. I do it for DPPt as well and it turns out pretty good sometimes.
For the attacks, yes I kinda just checked a box with the synergy and then used the second attack to link them thematically, I truly need to incorporate the gameplay part more. Also the probability is even lower than 75% on that, pretty minor gain lol.
The Darkai name in the wrong condensation still haunts me! Thanks for the feedback or I would have heavily butchered my ex sets, I'm glad I entered this competition fr. The bit about the text box I don't really get, as I literally traced Flygon HP, but I surely messed up later by stretching the card in some way, still a mystery how I manage to pull these goofs off.
I don't feel like giving serious feedback for the theme, this is my first CaC after all, but I surely had fun, would do another one of these as in the early stages I cooked up a crazy Lost Delta Empoleon and then Immediately realized it was another stage 2 and would have been a nightmare to make it work as support for another stage 2.
Thank you all, organizers and participants for making this a lot of fun, I can't wait for the next one!

hey, that was a really fun one! i think i'm improving a decent amount with wording (only one error on each card, think that's a personal record!) and maybe placement, and i definitely understand where i went wrong with the card balance and aesthetics this time! this was a really interesting theme, and id love to do something like this again

The bit about the text box I don't really get, as I literally traced Flygon HP, but I surely messed up later by stretching the card in some way, still a mystery how I manage to pull these goofs off.
Here's a screenshot of what I mean — the top one is Flygon HP and the bottom one is your Darkrai (excuse the quality on the Flygon haha; I took a low-res scan and just blew it up to match your card):
Screenshot_2023-06-03_at_1.29.56_PM.png
Differences in kerning / spacing between letters are excusable; The Pokémon Company was all over the place with their kerning at the time. But you can see that even the letters themselves are quite squished! For stuff like capital O's, DPPt is generally one of the only eras where you expect them to be noticeably taller than they are wide. If I remember right, 96% is the lowest horizontal squishing you want to use on other eras.

Hope this helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can clarify about this, and hope to see you in the next round! :)

Back