Contest March 2019 CaC: Attack & Defense! (Results Are Up!)

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
[Stage 2] Tyrantrum-GX HP250 [F]
Evolves from Tyrunt

Ability: Borrowed Time
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may search your deck or discard pile for Unidentified Fossil and put it onto your Bench. This Pokémon's attacks cost [C] less and do 30 more damage for each Unidentified Fossil in play. At the end of each turn, if there is no Unidentified Fossil in play, this Pokémon is Knocked Out.

[F][C][C][C] Megaton Bite 130+
If your opponent's Active Pokémon was on the Bench and became your opponent's Active Pokémon during their last turn or during this turn, this attack does 100 more damage and this Pokémon does 50 damage to itself.

[F][C][C][C] Roar of the King GX 150
You may discard any number of your Benched Pokémon and all cards attached to them. If you discarded at least 2 Pokémon, search your deck for any number of Pokémon that evolve from Unidentified Fossil and put as many of them as possible onto your Bench. Reveal the rest, and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [G]x2
Resistance: -
Retreat: [C][C][C][C]
GX rule: When your Pokémon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Garchomp UPR (for how to refer to a specific Trainer card i.e. whether to say 'a card named' or not)
Golisopod-GX (reverse First Impression)
Blacephalon-GX (as many as you like vs. any number)
Oof, glass cannons. It was hard to come up with something that wasn't just 'increase damage taken next turn' or 'does x damage to itself'. In the beginning, I tried to make a glass cannon deck instead of a glass cannon card–in a resource game like Pokémon, most of the time you're better off investing your resources in something good and durable than in something great that will get KO'd if a fly lands on the right spot. So I thought, "Alright, let's make a card that you can center a deck around that can go either horribly bad or one-sided good." I don't personally think feast or famine decks are fun to play against, but here we are. So, I actually made 3 different cards before this one–Staraptor-GX, Yveltal-GX, and Mew & Mewtwo-GX. (You may see a modified version of one of those soon enough.)
The first two inherently fit into the 'no counterplay or nothing you can do' category, and the last one was so sacky (it was intended to be) that ultimately I decided to scrap it. What could be worse than losing 2 Prizes? Losing 3 Prizes. And I would've stuck with this mindset, but balancing a Tag Team so that you don't autolose the game if it gets KO'd before it does its thing and making it fast enough to do its thing but not too fast turned out to be complicated so I turned to a forgotten mechanic–Fossil Pokémon.

And so I present to you, the ultimate glass cannon–the self-destruct button. Borrowed Time because, well, Tyrantrum is supposed to be already extinct. This guy's Ability searches a copy of the fossil so it doesn't instantly get KOed, and it gives you more incentive to keep the fossil around if keeping your Pokémon alive wasn't good enough. The problem with a setup like this was that you had to keep the fossil around, but the fossil did absolutely nothing and put you into further disadvantage. So I gave it a little push, which I think ends up being pretty justified considering the original attack costs and what happens if your fossil bites the dust again.

I was actually not too sure about Megaton Bite's gigantic damage output only with the reverse First Impression restriction, so I put some recoil too. The best thing is that it still fits the original reasoning of the T-Rex having a bite so strong it could just kinda bite savagely wherever and hope for the best, but such a strong bite could have hurt it in the long run.

As for the GX attack, just a strong consistency boost so that a fossil deck can ditch those clunky fossil support cards that do more harm than good. I feel it's one of those things that only works because what it supports is so weak–if it searched for things that evolved from, say, Inkay, it would be a whole other matter. Besides, it fit the theme and opens up the possibilities for a fossil deck instead of just a Tyrantrum one.

KnightofDust

your future past waits
(I could have used Imgur but I forgot my login details and I can't be asked to make a new one)

Wobbuffet is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a "defensive" Pokemon. It's quite sad that he's not utilized more in the anime but that's besides the point here.

Looking at the different Wobbuffet cards of different eras on Bulbapedia, most of them revolve around damage counters placed on Wobbuffet and dealing damage through attack affects. I'm particularly interested in the Diamond & Pearl Wobbuffet as it truly captures the role of Wobbuffet: A sandbag that reflects damage. The idea was to make Wobbuffet able to tank a hit or two while not being obnoxious to deal with.

Dummy gives Wobbuffet a bit more tankiness to it, especially when its low on HP, giving you time to set up your Bench. Endure also helps out a bit, if you managed to flip a heads. No damaging attacks since the basic Wobbuffet already has them.

110 HP seems fine, if not a bit too much, but I don't play the card game so I don't really know what's an acceptable value. Looking at all the LV.X cards it seems like 110-140 seems fine, and I don't want to slap a massive HP on an already tanky card so 110 seems alright.

Psychic weakness and no resistance, as per all Wobbuffet cards, 3 retreat cost because its a wall, and walls don't tend to move very much.

It's a fun card to make since it's the first time I'm using Photoshop instead of GIMP, as well as my first DPPt card. I grew up with DPPt and some of my fondest memories of Pokemon were from playing the gen 4 games. Although I don't play the card games I remember buying tins to collect those shiny LV.X cards (I might dig them out from my boxes, they should be still there). I would love to make more cards but the life of an engineering undergraduate is very demanding and most of my free time is spent on sleeping/procrastinating instead of making cards.

Artwork by the incredible nintendo-jr

Blank and symbols by Metagross101

Galaxy foil by aschefield101

Also, because why not? (Artwork by AnaPunda)

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Here's my entry :D

dd13l92-2651e0f0-f1d7-4783-aa0d-9a6a5386ec85.png

Once again, I'm not really that competitive when it comes to actual Pokémon TCG so I'm not the best at determining what's a wall and what's not, however, what I thought of as a wall, was a card with high defense that is able to power up it's benched allies, and with that Mega Diancie was created! I decided to go the FA'ish/Extra Rare route because my entry last time was a little lacking/boring in the art-department, so I just wanted to go all in! I also wanted the Ability and attack names to fit with the effects of the two, with Diancie defending it's diamond companions and compressing carbon/Fairy Dust into energy to give to the benched Pokémon.

References:
Ability: Melmetal GX (SM Promos)
Attack: White Kyurem GX (Dragon Majesty), Drampa (Guardians Rising)
Fairy Dust

Credit:
Blank, Symbols and Rulebox: @aschefield101
Holofoil: @Nekoban Ryo
Artwork: Mega Diancie by PinkDermy

Nyan

She/They
Mewtwo_GX.png

I've had this card done for quite some time now. But now I am finally submitting it! As you can see... this card has some wild visual effects. I was gonna make it a regular art, but I wanted to emphasize the art and symbols so I made it a "special" fullart, similar to the Mewtwo secret rare from Shining Legends. I took the concept of making a "Glass Cannon" to the extreme here. This things can hit some... pretty ridiculous numbers using Calamity Blaster, and if tempered with healing from Max Potion and the like, this card can be somewhat consistent. I see it as more of a "one-time nuke" type of thing, though. That's also what I was trying to convey with the art. One very, very massive release of energy. The art comes from the EX promotional artwork.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
^One question: If your Mewtwo GX does 40 damage to itself, is Weakness applied to this damage? I ask this because when a Psychic Pokémon (with Psychic Weakness) damages itself, it normally tells you not to apply Weakness to the damage. For example, in the HGSS Set, if you look at Weezing, a Psychic-type card, it has the Super Explosion attack (for this example, we are replacing "Weezing" with "This Pokémon") with the following effect: This Pokémon does 90 damage to itself, and don't apply Weakness to this damage."

Nyan

She/They
^One question: If your Mewtwo GX does 40 damage to itself, is Weakness applied to this damage? I ask this because when a Psychic Pokémon (with Psychic Weakness) damages itself, it normally tells you not to apply Weakness to the damage. For example, in the HGSS Set, if you look at Weezing, a Psychic-type card, it has the Super Explosion attack (for this example, we are replacing "Weezing" with "This Pokémon") with the following effect: This Pokémon does 90 damage to itself, and don't apply Weakness to this damage."

You're right, but that's like... the most niche ruling i've ever seen. The latest reference for that would be Nidoqueen from Ancient Origins, which does have "Don't apply Weakness to this damage." I wouldn't have even known to look for that, I just referenced through all of the SM Pokemon with recoil effects, and there's none that have self-weakness.

Good job for being observant I guess...

Also, incase it's not obvious, it's not intentional for my Mewtwo to inflict self-weakness.

Last edited:

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Carvanha [D] HP50
Basic

NO. 318 Savage Pokémon HT: 2'07" WT: 45.9 lbs

Ability: Cannibal Fish
Between turns, if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, put 1 damage counter on 1 of your [D] or [W] Pokémon for each of your Carvanha in play.

[D] Smell of Blood 10+
Choose one of your benched Basic Pokémon in play, except Pokémon-EX and Pokémon-GX. This attack does 20 more damage for each damage counter on that Pokémon.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance: n/a
Retreat: [C]

If anything invades Carvanha’s territory, it will swarm and tear at the intruder with its pointed fangs. On its own, however, this Pokémon suddenly turns timid.
Sharpedo [D] HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Carvanha

NO. 319 Brutal Pokémon HT: 5'11" WT: 195.8 lbs

[D] Self-Inflicted Wounds
Put damage counters on this Pokémon until its remaining HP is exactly 10. If the Defending Pokémon is Knocked Out during your next turn, take 2 more prize cards.

[D] Dead in the Water
If this Pokémon’s remaining HP is exactly 10, your Opponent’s Active Pokémon is Knocked Out.

Retreat: n/a

It drinks in seawater and jets it from its rear to propel itself. It is very sensitive to the scent of blood.
I forgot to record my references… Sorry. Shrine of Punishment is what I used for the ability, if that helps. It’s more recent than Flygon BCR. I think I used Salamence-GX for the attack ("except pokemon ex and gx").

My entry for this month’s contest was originally going to be the Sharpedo, and that’s really why it’s here. It’s not necessary, but it does show how the evolution line would interact with itself – TPCI generally releases self-synergising evolution lines, so I try to do that when I make a CaC that isn’t the final evo. If you want me to stop, please let me know! I don’t want to make things any harder for you guys.

Carvanha looks like it can get some huge numbers pretty quickly for low energy costs, and maybe it can, but considering that Cannibal Fish can only put damage counters on [D] and [W] Pokémon, it is not ridiculously overpowered, and could end up being a huge drawback sometimes since you HAVE to put damage on the board. Because of this, attacking for one energy doesn’t sound so unbalanced after all. Carvanha is also really fragile – it gets OHKOed by basically everything in the meta (even Zorua + DCE + Kukui + Devoured Field gets a turn one KO).

This is the original wording of Cannibal Fish, by the way. Would it have been better for me to have left it like this? It just seemed like what I have now is a lot more balanced and a lot riskier.
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may put 2 damage counters on 1 of your [D] or [W] Pokémon.
Note that Tapu Koko is pretty close to an autoloss, btw.

Edited, -2 pts. I think (read: hope) I fixed everything.... We shall see.

Last edited:

Nyora

A Cat
BW4_EN_85.png

Hahaha you thought this was my CaC.
Cincinno HP 90 Colorless
Stage 1 - Evolves from Mincinno
NO. 573 Scarf Pokémon HT: 1’08” WT: 16.5 lbs.

/Ability/ ~ Echo Coat
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and any damage is done to this Pokémon by your opponent’s Pokémon’s attacks, you may choose to reduce all damage done by that attack by any additional damage this Pokémon’s Echoed Voice attack would do during your next turn by the effect of this Pokémon’s Echoed Voice attack (before applying Weakness and Resistance). Remove any additional damage this Pokémon’s Echoed Voice attack would do by the effect of it’s Echoed Voice attack during your next turn.

[C][C][C] Echoed Voice 30
During your next turn, this Pokémon’s Echoed Voice attack does more damage equal to the amount of damage this attack did during this turn. Discard an Energy from this Pokémon. (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

Their white fur is coated in a special oil that makes it easy for them to deflect attacks.

Weakness: Fighting x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1
Attack & Defense? Why not both? Echoed Voice can rack up damage, up to a literal infinite amount (but that’s unlikely) and can also reduce damage.. by an infinite amount (also unlikely). It may not be too fast, though, as it’s a Stage 1 and needs 3 Energies to attack! That said, I’d say it’s probably just a better Aerodactyl. While it’s damage may be lower at first, damage additions such as Choice Band, Professor Kukui, and more help make it hit heavy, and also make it possibly hard to kill as well. Without a way to stop it, it’s constant spamming of Echoed Voice may get a little too good. Hence, Echoed Voice’s final effect of discarding an Energy. An obvious pair for this then would be Triple Boost Energy, though you’d really appreciate having a way to get Energy on it next turn (maybe Welder + attachments, just attaching every turn?) but any way you go about it just makes it even harder to setup and keep it up. Unlike a lot of other 1 Prize attackers, you want it too stay in play, so it may be a little bit harder to use in the first place. Keep in mind that it being moved to the Bench removes all effects on it, restarting your Echoed Voice damage.

All that said, I think it holds a lot of potential. Choice Band and Professor Kukui puts the first attack at 80 damage, meaning next turn it does 80 more to that, starting it at 110! With your Choice Band attached, your hitting with 140. Next turn, it does 140 more damage, starting it at 170, and so on and so forth. It’s essentially adding 30 every turn to the amount it did last turn, and even more with any other damage boosters you have. Oh, adding 170 damage? But what if it dies? N O P E. You can also choose, by Echo Coat, to reduce any damage done to it (from opponent’s attacks) equal to the amount of damage Echoed Voice adds. So you can instead sacrifice that +170 damage you’d do, for -170 damage on that Cincinno. -170 damage is a lot, but now your Echoed Voice damage additions restart, so watch for that.

I know some of the cards mentioned here aren’t even out yet, but I still mentioned them as they most likely will be soon enough and they help Cincinno.
Druddigon (If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon)
greninja_card_pokemon_tcg_detective_pikachu.jpg
I couldn’t honestly find much for it’s other effects, so a lot of the wording is probably wrong.

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
Carvanha [D] HP50
Basic

Between turns, if this Pokémon is your active Pokémon, put 1 damage counter on 1 of your [D] or [W] Pokémon for each of your Carvanha in play.

[D] Smell of Blood 10+
Choose one of your benched Basic Pokémon in play, except Pokémon-EX and Pokémon-GX. This attack does 10 damage plus 20 more damage for each damage counter on that Pokémon.

Retreat: [C]

If anything invades Carvanha’ territory, it will swarm and tear at the intruder with its pointed fangs. On its own, however, this Pokémon suddenly turns timid.
Sharpedo [D] HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Carvanha

[D] Self-Inflicted Wounds
Put damage counters on this Pokémon until its remaining HP is exactly 10. If the Defending Pokémon is Knocked Out during your next turn, take 2 more prize cards.

[D] Dead in the Water
If this Pokémon’s remaining HP is exactly 10, your Opponent’s Active Pokémon is Knocked Out.

Retreat: n/a

It drinks in seawater and jets it from its rear to propel itself. It is very sensitive to the scent of blood.
I forgot to record my references… Sorry. Shrine of Punishment is what I used for the ability, if that helps. It’s more recent than Flygon BCR. I think I used Salamence-GX for the attack ("except pokemon ex and gx").

My entry for this month’s contest was originally going to be the Sharpedo, and that’s really why it’s here. It’s not necessary, but it does show how the evolution line would interact with itself – TPCI generally releases self-synergising evolution lines, so I try to do that when I make a CaC that isn’t the final evo. If you want me to stop, please let me know! I don’t want to make things any harder for you guys.

Carvanha looks like it can get some huge numbers pretty quickly for low energy costs, and maybe it can, but considering that Cannibal Fish can only put damage counters on [D] and [W] Pokémon, it is not ridiculously overpowered, and could end up being a huge drawback sometimes since you HAVE to put damage on the board. Because of this, attacking for one energy doesn’t sound so unbalanced after all. Carvanha is also really fragile – it gets OHKOed by basically everything in the meta (even Zorua + DCE + Kukui + Devoured Field gets a turn one KO).

This is the original wording of Cannibal Fish, by the way. Would it have been better for me to have left it like this? It just seemed like what I have now is a lot more balanced and a lot riskier.
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may put 2 damage counters on 1 of your [D] or [W] Pokémon.
Note that Tapu Koko is pretty close to an autoloss, btw.
This plus Black Market Prism though is insane if it doesn't get replaced

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
This plus Black Market Prism though is insane if it doesn't get replaced
Yeah, I did think of that, but pretty much every deck plays counter stadiums these days. Thunder Mountain, Brooklet Hill, Shrine of Punishment, Devoured Field, etc etc. Black Market can only be expected to save you one prize, if that.

Luplayz

The Master of bad Pokemon
ok so I have my entry now, so here it is!
(I put a concept art for this card if I make it an image based card later on.)
Entry:
Basic)- Solgaleo & Lunala GX HP 280 (P)
TAG TEAM

cxud30mwebn21.png

Ability: Star Power

As many times as you like during your turn you may attach an Energy from your hand to 1 of your TAG TEAM
Pokémon.

(M)(P)(P)(C) Astral Blast 180+
You may put 2 trainer cards from your discard pile into your hand. If you do, this attack does 50 more damage.

(M)(P)+ Cosmic Power GX
Search your deck for up to 4 cards and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards. If this Pokémon has at least 4 extra (P) Energy attached to it (in addition to this attacks cost) You may put your opponent’s hand into the Lost Zone. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: (P) x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: (C)(C)(C)

TAG TEAM rule: When 1 of your TAG TEAM is Knocked Out your opponent takes 3 Prize Cards.

Thanks.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Oh, fine!
Text, please.
Froslass - Water - HP90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Snorunt

No. 478 Snow Land Pokémon HT. 4’03” WT. 58.6 lbs

Ability: Howling Wind
Once during your turn, you may put 1 damage counter on each Pokémon in play for each Energy attached to that Pokémon (both yours and your opponent’s).

[W][C] Snap Freeze 30x
This attack does 30 damage for each damage counter attached to this Pokémon. Then, double the amount of damage counters on this Pokémon. If this Pokémon is Knocked Out by placing damage counters from this attack, put 1 damage counter on all of your opponent’s Pokémon with Pokémon Tool cards attached to them. Then, discard those Pokémon Tool cards.

It freezes foes with an icy breath nearly -60 degrees Fahrenheit. What seems to be its body is actually hollow.
Weakness: [M] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
I mean, they DO have a spot open (you can check it by going to the front page of the thread, you know).
Thought I'd throw out the precaution just in case we haven't found someone to judge this month yet, since it's still TBD on the front page of the thread, which I read. If I'm required to judge this month I'll just simply remove my entry and judge everyone else's. Thought I'd make that as clear as I could to anyone working out judging for this month.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
VioletValkyrie's Entry: Aegislash
March 2019 Create-A-Card: Attack and Defense

Aegislash - Metal – HP140
Stage 2 - Evolves from Doublade

No. 681 / Royal Sword Pokémon / HT: 5'07" WT: 116.8 lbs.

【 Ability: Crowned Shield 】
Whenever this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and is damaged by an opponent's attack, choose 1:

● This Pokémon takes 60 less damage from attacks (after applying Weakness and Resistance) until the end of your opponent's turn.
● Put a Blade Counter on this Pokémon.

[M][M][C] Last Stand Sword 180
If this Pokémon doesn't have a Blade Counter on it, this attack does nothing. Remove all Blade Counters on this Pokémon.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat: 3

PokéDex Entry: Generations of kings were attended by these Pokémon, which used their spectral power to manipulate and control people and Pokémon.

MR2019CaC // VioletValkyrie
➤ Thoughts and Creative Process:
Hehe, "MR2019CaC"...

Oh right, this is where I talk about the card.
So yeah, real original going with Aegislash, Vi. Nice one. I thought with Sword and Shield being announced recently it would be cool to make a fake for not only the games, but one of, if not my favourite Kalos Pokémon.

Attack and Defense is an interesting theme because I wasn't sure what to do with it besides Pokémon choice. I thought it would be an interesting idea to play around with flexibility and allow for a Pokémon that can both be offensive or defensive, and give you control over whichever one you wanted at the risk of completely removing the other one.
The ability giving you the choice of either becoming a wall (which is in a more interesting method than just "this has 300HP", even if not by much) at the risk of not being able to attack at all, or being able to swing for a massive amount by removing all of your defenses and leaving you with a frail 140HP attacker with 3 retreat. You're playing a big risk vs reward battle just by playing the card but its strengths can outweigh its weaknesses. The flexibility lets it be an interesting and useful card in practically any scenario.

Anything else on this card was basically just given proper balancing. Low HP count, high retreat, high damage output, and relatively high defense, I did some playing around with the numbers and I think this is just what I found most comfortable.

I really enjoyed this one, for something I thought up of in 20 minutes. I hope that whoever does judge ends up liking this since I had a lot of fun with it.

See you next time!

➤ References:
You'll notice my references list is a lot smaller, and that's because of a certain site that's making things very awkward since I can't use it as a consistent reference anymore.
I will state though that the defense effect from Crowned Shield takes into account the effects of abilities on Pokemon before calculating the damage, there are several cards with abilities that have an effect where you flip a coin when atacked, and if heads, you prevent that damage outright. I'm going off that logic and I think I can safely say because of that that my wording for the ability is correct, and that Crowned Shield reduces damage from the attack that activates the ability.

Anything I didn't use references for just ended up being a personal feeling and hoping it was solid enough.

Tate & Liza [Sun and Moon: Celestial Storm - 148/168]
The wording for "Choose 1:"

EDIT: Ugh. Give me the -2.