Discussion M Tyranitar EX

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirtli

Gen 6 National Dex Complete!
I'm considering getting back into the game along with a group of other people from my local card shop, and I was wondering if people thought M Tyranitar EX would be a good card to build around in the upcoming format. I've been playing a Lucario/Machamp deck lately, but there's really no playerbase at our shop right now.

One thing that I thought might be interesting is M Ttar EX with the Crobat line from Phantom Forces, but I'm honestly not too sure what the big decks and strategies are right now, since the last time I played, I used Porygon-Z GE and Dusknoir Lv.X SF in my two decks >.<

If you wanted to go for a bulky heavy hitter Mega, I'd go with either P Groudon or M Aggron. They're just better decks.

For Dark-type decks, I think M Tyranitar EX is better than Yveltal EX. Use Yveltal XY to boost energy, and using mega turbo and DCE, you can attack quite quickly. You need only 2 damage counter to OHKO with M Tyranitar, use it with bats line. P Groudon is better than it, but I think it is comparable with M Aggron. Currently I have no idea utilizing theta double, you can attach hard charm to avoid OHKO against Col Ray, weakness policy to remove fighting weakness, or just straight muscle band. It would be ways better if focus sash was usable in other types...

I am looking forward to trying Team Magma's Secret Base with M Tyranitar. That stadium alone gives you the magic number of counters that he needs to OHKO most Pokemon.

I think utilizing M-Tyranitar's Double AT is what is gonna help it even the match up against P-Groudon. It can attach a Weakness Policy to nullify weakness and maybe run PRC Ninetails as a partner to lock P-Groudon out of a stadium. Also the Double Colorless energy requirement means it could power up faster/easier than P-Groudon.

I'm surprised people haven't seen M Ty's Theta trait to be more of a hindrance than a boon. Since Spirit Link as a first item is a given, the second slot gives the opponent another chance to drop a Head Ringer onto it.

Without damage on the opponent's active, Muscle Band isn't going to be contributing anything important. Weakness Policy is terribly situational at best, and the other tools are either decent or utter garbage.

On the plus side, M Tyranitar will work very well with Yveltal XY, with Oblivion Wing both accelerating energy and dealing 30 damage, which adds 180 bonus damage onto M Tyranitar's attack, for a grand total of 290 (320 counting Oblivion Wing damage). I could see a built using high/max Yveltal XY counts doing well.

I'm surprised people haven't seen M Ty's Theta trait to be more of a hindrance than a boon. Since Spirit Link as a first item is a given, the second slot gives the opponent another chance to drop a Head Ringer onto it.

Without damage on the opponent's active, Muscle Band isn't going to be contributing anything important. Weakness Policy is terribly situational at best, and the other tools are either decent or utter garbage.

On the plus side, M Tyranitar will work very well with Yveltal XY, with Oblivion Wing both accelerating energy and dealing 30 damage, which adds 180 bonus damage onto M Tyranitar's attack, for a grand total of 290 (320 counting Oblivion Wing damage). I could see a built using high/max Yveltal XY counts doing well.
How could that be a hindrance? Most decks don't play Head Ringer, and for decks that do it is usually 2 most. If there wasn't the Theta trait, you'd only have the head ringer on. And if your opponent uses 2 head ringer on one T-Tar, then you can easily put down another fresh one with odds of it not having any Ringers slapped onto it. In the case of Seismitoad, regardless, you aren't going to be attaching tools, so I don't think that having the trait is a big deal unless if the opponent plays 4 or more flare tools.
I think many people will be playing the deck with either the Crobat line or a Forretress line and probably no muscle band as he hits for crazy amounts of damage.

i think tyranitar/Bats could be really good, especially with Level ball coming back to fetch the first two stages of bats and ultra ball to get crobat and throw away energies for Yveltal XY to grab. Maybe Pokémon fan club to get zubats as well?

The answer to this is quite simple. I use tool retrieval in every one of my decks. Reason? head ringer. pop those things off and replace them asap.

pokemon (20)

3 Tyrannitar EX
3 M Tyranitar EX
3 Yveltal (XY)
4 Zubat (phantom forces)
4 Golbat (phantom forces)
3 Crobat (phantom forces

Energy (12)
8 darkness energy
4 double colorless energy

Trainer (27)

2 lysandre
2 shadow circle
4 level ball
4 ultra ball
4 sycamore
3 Birch's observations
3 trainer's mail
3 Tyranitar spirit link
2 VS seeker

Something I threw together. I'm not sure if all 4 level balls and ultra balls are actually necessary, maybe drop 1 of each for a couple muscle bands or another birch and trainers' mail

pokemon (20)

3 Tyrannitar EX
3 M Tyranitar EX
3 Yveltal (XY)
4 Zubat (phantom forces)
4 Golbat (phantom forces)
3 Crobat (phantom forces

Energy (12)
8 darkness energy
4 double colorless energy

Trainer (27)

2 lysandre
2 shadow circle
4 level ball
4 ultra ball
4 sycamore
3 Birch's observations
3 trainer's mail
3 Tyranitar spirit link
2 VS seeker

Something I threw together. I'm not sure if all 4 level balls and ultra balls are actually necessary, maybe drop 1 of each for a couple muscle bands or another birch and trainers' mail

...or at least drop Crobat: Its 130 HP is too much for level ball. Not to mention:

For Dark-type decks, I think M Tyranitar EX is better than Yveltal EX. Use Yveltal XY to boost energy, and using mega turbo and DCE, you can attack quite quickly. You need only 2 damage counter to OHKO with M Tyranitar... ...

^ If Crysis says 2 damage counters are needed, Golbat should be the only Zubat evolution in this deck: Golbat gives you the 2 damage counters to the active that you need for M-Tar to OHKO. That means the 3 Crobat is just too many bats than necessary for M-Tar to do its job in this deck: sweep. If you could, those 3 slots in the excess can be replaced with 2 muscle bands and the 4th trainer's mail...

edit: Oops... Even the muscle band is unnecessary... Some math:

20(Golbat) + 110(Destroyer King) + 120(60 * 2(counters)added damage per Destoyer King's effect)=250 w/o MB > 240 maximum damage every pokemon released so far can possibly take before getting KOed...

So, make those 2 aforementioned MBs hard charms. Or ditch the 4th trainer's mail for a third hard charm. Whatever works best for you...

Last edited:
...or at least drop Crobat: Its 130 HP is too much for level ball. Not to mention:

^ If Crysis says 2 damage counters are needed, Golbat should be the only Zubat evolution in this deck: Golbat gives you the 2 damage counters to the active that you need for M-Tar to OHKO. That means the 3 Crobat is just too many bats than necessary for M-Tar to do its job in this deck: sweep. If you could, those 3 slots in the excess can be replaced with 2 muscle bands and the 4th trainer's mail...

edit: Oops... Even the muscle band is unnecessary... Some math:

20(Golbat) + 110(Destroyer King) + 120(60 * 2(counters)added damage per Destoyer King's effect)=250 w/o MB > 240 maximum damage every pokemon released so far can possibly take before getting KOed...

So, make those 2 aforementioned MBs hard charms. Or ditch the 4th trainer's mail for a third hard charm. Whatever works best for you...

yeah, you're right, only need golbat damage to get 250 with destroyer king so unless they decide to print something with more HP than Wailord EX, it's safe without muscle band and crobat.

i've also thought about Absol (roaring skies) as a contingency plan to move counters off of retreated/switched/escape roped guys onto actives for destroyer king to finish but I'm pretty skeptical about its worth. Probably better to just have more trainers, especially since he is also too big to fetch with level ball

Last edited:
yeah, you're right, only need golbat damage to get 250 with destroyer king so unless they decide to print something with more HP than Wailord EX, it's safe without muscle band and crobat.

i've also thought about Absol (roaring skies) as a contingency plan to move counters off of retreated/switched/escape roped guys onto actives for destroyer king to finish but I'm pretty skeptical about its worth. Probably better to just have more trainers, especially since he is also too big to fetch with level ball

Absol? Basic?

One spare slot unaccounted for(No. of cards you listed = 59<60 card deck, so you need one more card to make it equal)?

Cut that hard charm to 1 and add two Absol and a Fan Club to fetch them, if only at the cost of your turn supporter...

And can we take this to the deck garage? I don't want any trouble giving you deck advice in this forum, when there's a place for advice in the garage forum...

I think 3-3 golbat line 2-2 foretress line would do well mabye a bit clunky but the damage needs to be spread so that when they retreat you can still hit hard plus I don't know why his energy cost is a big deal you can have him powered up by turn two using mega turbo once and a DCE I think he could make tier 1 or 2

Absol? Basic?

One spare slot unaccounted for(No. of cards you listed = 59<60 card deck, so you need one more card to make it equal)?

Cut that hard charm to 1 and add two Absol and a Fan Club to fetch them, if only at the cost of your turn supporter...

And can we take this to the deck garage? I don't want any trouble giving you deck advice in this forum, when there's a place for advice in the garage forum...

Yeah, i realized after I posted it that the original list is only 59 cards. In any case, I'll move it over to deck garage

The big issues with M TTar are Theta double, and possibly being slow. If your opponent can get down Head Ringers, the energy cost suddenly becomes unmanageable. So, ideally, we would want to slow down the game while TTar sets up, and have your opponent to not be able to play items. What card fits this perfectly? Seismitoad.

My List (XY-on):

POKEMON (16):
3x Tyranitar-EX
3x M Tyranitar-EX
2x Seismitoad-EX
3x Zubat
3x Golbat
2x Crobat

TRAINERS (32):
4x Professor Sycamore
2x Shauna
2x Professor Birch's Observations
1x Lysandre
1x Teammates/Xerosic
3x Tyranitar Spirit Link
3x Muscle Band
1x Hard Charm
3x Ultra Ball
1x Dive Ball
2x Switch
3x Shadow Circle
1x Silent Lab
1x Professor's Letter
4x Mega Turbo
2x Acro Bike
1x Trainer's Mail

ENERGY (12):
4x Double Colorless Energy
6x Darkness Energy
2x Dangerous Energy

The big issues with M TTar are Theta double, and possibly being slow. If your opponent can get down Head Ringers, the energy cost suddenly becomes unmanageable. So, ideally, we would want to slow down the game while TTar sets up, and have your opponent to not be able to play items. What card fits this perfectly? Seismitoad.

My List (XY-on):

POKEMON (16):
3x Tyranitar-EX
3x M Tyranitar-EX
2x Seismitoad-EX
3x Zubat
3x Golbat
2x Crobat

TRAINERS (32):
4x Professor Sycamore
2x Shauna
2x Professor Birch's Observations
1x Lysandre
1x Teammates/Xerosic
3x Tyranitar Spirit Link
3x Muscle Band
1x Hard Charm
3x Ultra Ball
1x Dive Ball
2x Switch
3x Shadow Circle
1x Silent Lab
1x Professor's Letter
4x Mega Turbo
2x Acro Bike
1x Trainer's Mail

ENERGY (12):
4x Double Colorless Energy
6x Darkness Energy
2x Dangerous Energy

Looks like a solid list. Why do you have three Muscle Bands though? If you've hit the opponent with a Bat bite or they've taken damage from the Bad Energy, then you'll already be OHKO'ing them and if they have no damage on them, then it will be a 2HKO regardless if a MB is attached or not.

Looks like a solid list. Why do you have three Muscle Bands though? If you've hit the opponent with a Bat bite or they've taken damage from the Bad Energy, then you'll already be OHKO'ing them and if they have no damage on them, then it will be a 2HKO regardless if a MB is attached or not.

Those are in there for 2 reasons. 1, in order to fill up the second tool spot for Theta double and avoid Head Ringers. 2, In order to increase damage in the event that you're unable to get a bat out for the turn. With 1 damage counter, Destroyer King does 170 which can fall short of OHKOing high-HP EXs. Muscle Band pushes that damage up to OHKO any non-Mega EX that isn't a whale. It also puts D-King in 2HKO range for Mega/Primal Pokemon without any damage on them.

Some additions:

-1 Professor Sycamore
-1 Acro Bike
+1 Super Scoop Up
+1 AZ

Those are in there for 2 reasons. 1, in order to fill up the second tool spot for Theta double and avoid Head Ringers. 2, In order to increase damage in the event that you're unable to get a bat out for the turn. With 1 damage counter, Destroyer King does 170 which can fall short of OHKOing high-HP EXs. Muscle Band pushes that damage up to OHKO any non-Mega EX that isn't a whale. It also puts D-King in 2HKO range for Mega/Primal Pokemon without any damage on them.

Some additions:

-1 Professor Sycamore
-1 Acro Bike
+1 Super Scoop Up
+1 AZ

Well, Destroyer King is a 2HKO anyway, as you'll deal 110 damage the first turn then 770 the next, but I can see the validity of making it 190.

I'd suggest going 4-4 Golbat rather than 3-3-2 Crobat. You only need the 20 damage +230 from Destroyer king to KO anything including Wailord.

I'd also recommend finding room for some Absol ROS. Moving around 30 damage is enough to KO anything if you they put out something bulky and you can't find Bats or Lysandre. It just gives you more outs to a KO.

Some additions:

-1 Professor Sycamore
-1 Acro Bike
+1 Super Scoop Up
+1 AZ
I think that you should remove these muscle bands cause you dont have any pokemon that deal less than 20 damage so you can still OHKO a EX if you had attacked before. Or if you don't attack before muscle band wouldn't help you that much. Then add some other tool cards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back