News Lysandre's Trump Card Has Been Banned

I hope this serves as a sentiment to PCI to never print a Broken Time Space variant ever again.

Next update is at 10/20, I wonder if it means they will look at the tournaments in that time to decide what they like to do with other suspects subjected for a ban.

Absolutely necessary move. Archeops has been, and would continue to suffocate the high level expanded meta and FOGP never should have been printed, and honestly should have been banned instead of Shiftry in the first place.

I feel sorry for people who bought playsets of Decidueye thinking they could keep playing that deck in expanded when it rotated. Actually, no I don't. Grass item lock matches were the biggest solitaire snorefests since Riptide was a thing.

Would've been nice to see Trev and Hypnotoxic Laser get hit (and maybe Seismitoad cause it's got less grass to worry about now ) but I see this going in the right direction if they pay attention to it.

Edit: A note that I've had some people disagree with me and laser in the past - I think it's too luck based and will be too broken with Seviper against Stage 2 decks. It would ruin the format they seem to be looking to create.

NOOOOOO!!! WHY???!!! THESE ARE MY ONLY EXPANDED DECKS!!!! I BOUGHT A SECRET RARE ARCHEOPS FOR 40$ AND GOT NO USE OUT OF IT! THIS DEFEATS MY WHOLE PURPOSE OF EXPANDED!! NOW GARBODOR WILL RULE THE EXPANDED FORMAT!!!
I am outraged by this, like, seriously pissed off. Now my amazing idea of expanded DeciPlume is dead, Garbodor WILL rule expanded, just like standard, and a card I payed more than its actual value for will drop, probably to 10 bucks or less. Also, bad move on TPCI because Trevenant and Sableye will be stupid good.

NOOOOOO!!! WHY???!!! THESE ARE MY ONLY EXPANDED DECKS!!!! I BOUGHT A SECRET RARE ARCHEOPS FOR 40$ AND GOT NO USE OUT OF IT! THIS DEFEATS MY WHOLE PURPOSE OF EXPANDED!! NOW GARBODOR WILL RULE THE EXPANDED FORMAT!!!
I am outraged by this, like, seriously pissed off. Now my amazing idea of expanded DeciPlume is dead, Garbodor WILL rule expanded, just like standard, and a card I payed more than its actual value for will drop, probably to 10 bucks or less. Also, bad move on TPCI because Trevenant and Sableye will be stupid good.

Honestly all those should be gone too, hopefully next ban-list.

Makes complete and perfect sense. Darkrai-GX/Turbo Dark should keep Trev in check so I don't see too many issues there, but it will definitely be interesting with these changes to Expanded.

People are saying Grass-type decks are gone, but I think Vespi can still function without FOGP. Sure, Oricorio kinda sucks if you bump into that but it's not the end of the world if you don't. Play Parallel instead.

Makes complete and perfect sense. Darkrai-GX/Turbo Dark should keep Trev in check so I don't see too many issues there, but it will definitely be interesting with these changes to Expanded.

People are saying Grass-type decks are gone, but I think Vespi can still function without FOGP. Sure, Oricorio kinda sucks if you bump into that but it's not the end of the world if you don't. Play Parallel instead.
Also, LandyBats. I've determined that's the new play without Archeops. It goes well against Garb since it doesn't play very many items, hits Drampa for weakness, and doesn't require high energy count to attack, so Espeon doesn't hit it hard. It also hurt Trevenant by bench sniping, and Crobat abuses their Dimension Valley, and Turbo Dark by hitting for weakness. I think that, or Toad Bats.

Honestly all those should be gone too, hopefully next ban-list.

I don't think that will happen as it would set a dangerous precedent. Certain cards in Expanded will be overpowered going forward, but that's the point of a non-rotating (so far) format. If everyone is playing equally overpowered cards, then it's not an issue. It's when one or two cards warp an entire format that it becomes an issue. Are Laser, Toad, Battle Comp, Trev, etc. fun to play against? Not really, no. But they're not unbeatabl either, and you don't ecessarily HAVE to account for them when considering an archetype. Archeops HAD to be accounted for. FOGP less so, but that card is just busted for a variety of reasons. I'd hate to see Pokemon shift toward the ban-happiness of Magic; for me, it's been part of what makes Pokemon great: the meta's ability to shift and react and adapt when one archetype seems too dominant.

All this said, though I wouldn't be too surprised if Ghetsis gets banned eventually, especially with the printing of Tapu Lele, as it can produce exactly the kind of game states they reference in their statement: one where you could effectively lose the game before ever taking a single turn.

Even though I loved the 'plume variants I suppose it was gonna be completely broken with that new venusaur :c

Good decisions here, but why not Hypnotoxic Laser?
I'm hearing this way too much.o_O Laser is not an issue at all. They flip heads? Use Keldeo EX + Float, AZ, switching cards, Olympia, etc to get out of the sleep. Laser isn't even close to ban level like Forest was IMO.

Absolutely necessary move. Archeops has been, and would continue to suffocate the high level expanded meta and FOGP never should have been printed, and honestly should have been banned instead of Shiftry in the first place.

I feel sorry for people who bought playsets of Decidueye thinking they could keep playing that deck in expanded when it rotated. Actually, no I don't. Grass item lock matches were the biggest solitaire snorefests since Riptide was a thing.
Lol you realize if they banned forest instead of shiftry forest would have never seen a day of legality

RIP forest decks in expanded :( I was looking forward to play a Venusaur deck, mixing SM Shining Legends and BW Dark Explorers variants. ♫ Now life has killed that dream...I dreeeaaaaam. :(

And now Water will be even stronger in Expanded. Blechhh.

Those two cards were on the top of my list. I would have also added Hypnotoxic Laser, Trev and Battle Compresser on that list but this is a start I guess. It seems they want a fast format without the locks.

Forest of Giant Plants was banned for the same reason Birthing Pod was in MtG, they don't want to worry about it every time they print a set.

As for Archeops, everyone and their mother (literally, Some moms took up the game) played Hex Maniac so I don't think "we banned it so people didn't have to run counters to it" was the motive, rather, it was banned because of the rise of Pokemon GX cards. TPCI thought that Archeops made the game un-un by preventing people from using their Pokemon GX so they got rid of it

Espeon EX is very much a thing right now....
I have never seen an expanded deck with Espeon-EX. Do you play Expanded, or are you going of Standard? The 2 formats are incredibly different to one another.

Here are my opinions on each of the bans:

Forest: Great! T1 item lock is broken and shouldn't be in the game. It is also way to easy to abuse and can allow a literal turn 1 win thanks do Decidueye+SSU+Devolution Spray+ SUC.

Archeops: Once again, Great! This lock is stupid considering evolution is a core theme in the Video Games, and we ARE supposed to be loosely connected...

On bans proposed in this forum:

Laser: It seldom finds its way into decks that perform well. Why?

Trev: Trev in and of itself is not broken; Wally broke Trev. I propose a Wally ban because nothing else plays Wally, and it would significantly nerf Trev.

Compressor: It is pretty much used equally across every deck. It is also allows for more creativity in the format.

My own: Ghetsis. This card is the only card left that can just destroy games.

Lol you realize if they banned forest instead of shiftry forest would have never seen a day of legality

...not a concern when a particular card is broken. We were stuck with Lysandre's Trump Card for what, six months before it was finally banned? Thankfully, they didn't try to find a "work around" by banning something else. ;)

As for Archeops, everyone and their mother (literally, Some moms took up the game) played Hex Maniac so I don't think "we banned it so people didn't have to run counters to it" was the motive, rather, it was banned because of the rise of Pokemon GX cards. TPCI thought that Archeops made the game un-un by preventing people from using their Pokemon GX so they got rid of it

Didn't quote the first part because I agreed with it and this is already gonna be a long post. ;)

The official announcement makes it clear it is the specific Archeops + Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick combo that is an issue. I do believe the the powers-that-be are trying to promote more play of Evolutions as well, and especially with Evolutions of Grass-Types losing Forest of Giant Plants, they decided it was time to let this go. If those designing the cards hadn't made Basic Pokémon so fast, strong, etc. and had not made Evolving Pokémon 99.9% filler, they might be hearty enough that Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick could have been the one to receive the ban. Oh, and while that is just a guestimate, the 99% isn't mere hyperbole; I think it may literally be about 1 in 100 Evolving Pokémon that get a worthwhile stat or effect so they aren't pure filler, and the numbers are even lower for those that have both worthwhile stats and effect.

Addendum: Also, just because a card can be countered is not always the same as it being well-balanced. That most decks have to run Hex Maniac because of how potent multiple Abilities are may be balanced, but it reminds me of kids making up rules for a game on the fly. You get outlandish effects maybe balanced by other outlandish effects, when the game would be more fun lacking both. ;)

Last edited:
Back