Lugia EX (PS # 108) {12/28/12}

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
296d850.png

Card of the Day: Lugia EX​
108-lugia-ex.jpg

Honest ratings from now on.

Art: 8/10, pretty epic! Can work on one or two things,yet epic!

Ability: 10/10 Basically all pokemon are EX's. And... EX's give you half the prize cards. Although they must be knocked out by lugia

Plasma Gale: 8/10. I believe this and some energy retrieving pokemon will work very well. Plasma Gale is a very strong move. So, great card overall

Pros
-The ability.
-Being colorless makes it splashable.
-120 for 4 is good even without the power.
-180HP and fighting resistance make it hard to KO.

Cons
-Requires discarding a special energy to attack.
-Has no other attack to fall back on.
-Makes non EXs even worse.

I think I hate this card. The one thing that non EXs had going for them was that they only gave an opponent one prize when taken out. If you were up against a deck with several EXs, you only needed to take out 3 to win the game while they needed 6. EXs still dominated, but at least they were balanced out. Then comes Lugia which takes two prizes off of anything it KOs. Anything with 120HP or less is an easy two prizes for Lugia. Sure, EXs now give up 3, but that's not as big as a deal since many of them have 170+ HP and are near imposible to 1HKO.

As for the card itself, it's good. It's hurt by the fact that it needs the plasma energy, but that can be worked around with the right cards. I ciould see it being fun to play in RayEels. Rayquaza can get two prizes off of the EXs while Lugia can get 2 prizes off of everything else. 8/10 for playability

Artwork 9/10

I honestly have no idea what to think of this card.

On one side, it looks amazing. Great stats all around, including a fighting resistance and the perfect 180 HP (none of this 170 nonsense). It's got a completely mental ability, combined with an attack that does a hefty 120 damage, enough to take out many support Pokemon and weakened EX's. The fact that it can take an extra prize means it only has to take out two EX's to win the game, which isn't that hard with the use of Landorus and/or Hypnotoxic Laser. It's just icing on the cake that it requires only colorless energy and that it can be easily accelerated to through the use of Colress Machine.

On the other side, it's lacking in several areas. 120 may seem nice, but it often falls short of the OHKO on many things, which hurts a lot considering it has to discard a Plasma Energy every time it attacks. That brings me to the next point, which is that because of the discarding, Lugia is limited to the number of times it can attack. Not only that, but if Lugia ever becomes popular, people can play Enhanced Hammer which not only further limits Lugia's number of attacks, but can discard DCE, which is Lugia's main way of powering up other than Colress Machine.

As another interesting fact, Lugia has not shown up in a single Japan list in the T4 of battle carnivals, which shows that Lugia's downsides may seriously outweigh the good things about it. Time will tell if Lugia turns out to be the menace it's hyped to be, but with Enhanced Hammer lurking around and the fact that 120 damage often isn't enough to get the job done, I can personally see it being a giant dud.

Playability: I have no clue, but I'll take a guess and say 3/10. It might show up in a few good decks here or there, but once again, Enhanced Hammer is essentially a straight up 100% counter to this if it ever becomes popular.

Art: 9/10 It's screaming I'M GONNA HUG YOU!!! You can't get much better than that.

Japan has never been a good outlook for our meta. America calls it wrong every time. "Garchomp/Altaria is gonna be BDIF" (I kid you not some of the best players in this site have posted this on old threads, then "Keldeo/Blastoise will suck just like AltChomp" nope! Its one of the best decks in the format right now. So I never take anything from Japan seriously and whatever seems to be the hyped standing of this deck, tends to be the opposite (at least, as long as Iv'e played).

Hammers do kill this, but Colress machine will be deadly with it. Our only current way to search out special energy has been computer search thus far, but getting to search it AND attach it? This thing could be deadly. Lugia has tons of things it can be paired with as well. Its colorless, ASG with Eviolite on top of a fighting resistance will make this thing tank as hard as Tornadus-EX while being twice as deadly. In a pure colorless deck you can include Ho-oh to accelerate energy, Mewtwo, and even Registeel-EX could see play as he runs on colorless energy and will prep that sweet 3 prize knockout. Those are just to name a few! Lugia could be the Mewtwo of any plasma deck. There are so many options to make a Lugia build, which one could be best is anyone's guess, however this card will see play and it will be good. My Favorite thing about this card is it can be paired with pretty much any energy acceleration engine besides dark patch you have-

Eels
Ho-oh
Emboar
Blastoise
Terrakion EX

The list goes on and on. Lugia having a colorless attack requirement makes this thing scary good IMO. The ability is godly and it can be used in any deck running a few plasma and colress machine. How many cards can fit decently into most decks with a max 8 card engine AND take the game in 2 KO's? Lugia EX. I'm looking forward to playing this card when it comes out as I think it will be amazing. I love that a card like this is so powerful, yet flexible and can fit into most decks, yet is not as simple to the strategy of building your deck as adding in a Mewtwo would be. A lot of people will hate this card with a passion and a lot of people will love it. With Tornadus-EX running rampant and the possibility of Lugia adding pressure to, Zekeels and other electric attackers actually may see a comeback.

My rating:
Looks: 8/10. Lugia is one of my faves
Playability: 9/10 Only time will tell!
{D}

I don't think this card will be too good. Plasma Gale needs 4(!) energy to attack, even if it can be charged up with Double Colorless/Colress Machine. Pretty much all you can do is gather cheap prized with Catcher with this card, which not all the decks run. Against 170/180HP EXs you would have to kinde setup the Plasma Gale knock outs with something like Landorus EX's Hammerhead, which will take several turns.

Art: 7.5/10
Playability: 6/10

exdarkrai01 said:
Japan has never been a good outlook for our meta. America calls it wrong every time. "Garchomp/Altaria is gonna be BDIF" (I kid you not some of the best players in this site have posted this on old threads, then "Keldeo/Blastoise will suck just like AltChomp" nope! Its one of the best decks in the format right now. So I never take anything from Japan seriously and whatever seems to be the hyped standing of this deck, tends to be the opposite (at least, as long as Iv'e played).

Hammers do kill this, but Colress machine will be deadly with it. Our only current way to search out special energy has been computer search thus far, but getting to search it AND attach it? This thing could be deadly. Lugia has tons of things it can be paired with as well. Its colorless, ASG with Eviolite on top of a fighting resistance will make this thing tank as hard as Tornadus-EX while being twice as deadly. In a pure colorless deck you can include Ho-oh to accelerate energy, Mewtwo, and even Registeel-EX could see play as he runs on colorless energy and will prep that sweet 3 prize knockout. Those are just to name a few! Lugia could be the Mewtwo of any plasma deck. There are so many options to make a Lugia build, which one could be best is anyone's guess, however this card will see play and it will be good. My Favorite thing about this card is it can be paired with pretty much any energy acceleration engine besides dark patch you have-

Eels
Ho-oh
Emboar
Blastoise
Terrakion EX

The list goes on and on. Lugia having a colorless attack requirement makes this thing scary good IMO. The ability is godly and it can be used in any deck running a few plasma and colress machine. How many cards can fit decently into most decks with a max 8 card engine AND take the game in 2 KO's? Lugia EX. I'm looking forward to playing this card when it comes out as I think it will be amazing. I love that a card like this is so powerful, yet flexible and can fit into most decks, yet is not as simple to the strategy of building your deck as adding in a Mewtwo would be. A lot of people will hate this card with a passion and a lot of people will love it. With Tornadus-EX running rampant and the possibility of Lugia adding pressure to, Zekeels and other electric attackers actually may see a comeback.

My rating:
Looks: 8/10. Lugia is one of my faves
Playability: 9/10 Only time will tell!
{D}

You shouldn't pair Lugia-EX with any of those cards. It will take consistency from the deck, thus it won't attack as soon as possible. Also, most decks will be big basic decks from now on, and that's Lugia's problem. It needs to OHKO 2 of them, but it can only attack 4 times. If your opponent runs 1 Max Potion or Enhanced Hammer, you basically lost the game right there. Of course that you can run Thundurus EX to get the energy back, but in exchange you are letting your opponent attack you and get a 1 turn advantage on you. I personally think that Lugia won't ever be the main attacker in this format. Only if a good Plasma Pokémon that used DCE and Plasma Energy came out, and Lugia would be the finisher. Overall, Lugia is soooo easy to counter that it's not even fun. I can only see Lugia being good if it can get T1 120 consistently. If not, I'm afraid we won't see Lugia shine.

Playability: 6/10 because if it gets that T1 120 it could be good.
Artwork: 10/10 absolutely love it.

The card will be better when we get Shadow Triad (lets you recover team plasma cards from discard pile).

The only bad thing of Lugia EX is that it needs to discard 1 Plasma Energy. 120 for {C}{C}{C}{C} is not bad. With its ability its monster just needs to KO to EXs. The problem is that it doesn't OHKO any EXs as nothing has a colorless weakness. It falls to OHKO many other non-EXs (Hydreigon, Blastoise, Terrakion, etc.) and that (combined with just using the attack 4 times) is what hurts it most.

This is just an idea, but maybe...
Landorus (Start... Hammering away early game)
Dusknoir (Takes Lando's 60/90 damage attacks wherever you want them)
Togekiss (Lets you set up [next Poke] while not being Hammered or Catchered)
Lugia EX (With Dusknoir and Lando hitting first 2 turns this can just come in and WIN)

120 for 4 is pretty bad though. Mewtwo does 120 for 3 and discards any energy, Lugia does 120 for 4 and discards a special energy. And nobody uses Mewtwo's second attack. Lugia EX can take advantage of DCE of course to make the attack 3 energy, but then its just making itself more hammer weak than it already is and somewhat inconsistent.

I know, I'm just pointing out to the people who think that 120 for 4 would be a decent attack if not for the ability that it really isn't.

grantm1999 said:
yes but you win half a game per time you attack with it in the scenario I proposed.

It also benefits from colress machine which takes some of the sting out of the cost.

It's not great on it's own, but with all the team plasma support, I could see this becoming a beast.

It also gets absolutely destroyed by Enhanced Hammer, any big basic deck that runs Max Potions probably wins against this and it also has a limited number of attacks. Now you will probably say that Shadow Triad solves this problem. It does not. It takes your supporter of the turn, which is huge. Also, you need atleast 15 cards of your deck (1 quarter of your deck) to make this thing work. 4 Plasma Energy, 4 DCE, 4 Colress Machine and 3 Lugia EX. That's so many cards! Also, since Lugia-EX takes so many prizes, it can easily be N'd to a low number of cards by T3/T4, while it's deck still has 30 cards or more. I think the card could have some serious potential, but it just has too many flaws to work IMO. We'll see.

Roronoa Zoro said:
It also gets absolutely destroyed by Enhanced Hammer, any big basic deck that runs Max Potions probably wins against this and it also has a limited number of attacks. Now you will probably say that Shadow Triad solves this problem. It does not. It takes your supporter of the turn, which is huge. Also, you need atleast 15 cards of your deck (1 quarter of your deck) to make this thing work. 4 Plasma Energy, 4 DCE, 4 Colress Machine and 3 Lugia EX. That's so many cards! Also, since Lugia-EX takes so many prizes, it can easily be N'd to a low number of cards by T3/T4, while it's deck still has 30 cards or more. I think the card could have some serious potential, but it just has too many flaws to work IMO. We'll see.

There are a couple of ways around that.

First is the new magnezone, which lets you use two supporters per turn. This can help with the speed and allow you to use Shadow Triad and a draw supporter the same turn. This also allows you to skyla for any supporter and then use that for the turn. IMO, it's not worth it since you still need space for energy acceleration, but at the same time, the ability to use two supporters in one turn is too good not to take advantage of.

As for energy acceleration, eeels. Combined with colress machine, getting four energy onto Lugia should be no problem. You don't even need to bother with DCE (so you're safe from enhanced hammer). Eels also get a big boost with the new rotom (which also benefits from plasma/colress machine). Not only does it have a discard and draw attack, but it has the potential for a first turn donk. I think that alone could save eels from dying out.

pokedan24 said:
Roronoa Zoro said:

There are a couple of ways around that.

First is the new magnezone, which lets you use two supporters per turn. This can help with the speed and allow you to use Shadow Triad and a draw supporter the same turn. This also allows you to skyla for any supporter and then use that for the turn. IMO, it's not worth it since you still need space for energy acceleration, but at the same time, the ability to use two supporters in one turn is too good not to take advantage of.

As for energy acceleration, eeels. Combined with colress machine, getting four energy onto Lugia should be no problem. You don't even need to bother with DCE (so you're safe from enhanced hammer). Eels also get a big boost with the new rotom (which also benefits from plasma/colress machine). Not only does it have a discard and draw attack, but it has the potential for a first turn donk. I think that alone could save eels from dying out.

You really shouldn't waste more of your deck space in a slow Stage 2. It will only make your chances of attacking T1/T2 smaller. Now if you don't run DCE and start running Eels, your deck gets vulnerable to even more things. It gets inconsistent as it has to run a 4-4 Eel line with Level Balls and Ultra Balls. It has to run Super Rod and you will take more time to start attacking, which ,IMO, is the only vantage Lugia has over other things (being able to take 2 prizes in the first turn, which is very unlikely without Eels, now imagine with Eels). Not to mention that you can easily get donked by Landorus EX when you are playing Eels.

Actually use Thundurus EX (BW8)...

Energy discarded? No problem, come out and attack and reattach it.

I don't think Lugia will ever be good as its own deck. Doing 120 and having to stream 1 of 4 special energy every time you attack? It screams inconsistency. I like Lugia as a 2 of in decks with other strategies. Remember that Lugia's attack SUCKS. The only reason he is good is to take that extra prize on the knockout. I will be testing Lugia with lots of different lists, but I can tell you that Lugia will be similar to Ho-oh in the fact that your deck must be good without him first, then adding him will make your deck killer. I don't want to 2 shot stuff with Lugia. I would rather prep the KO with something different and then take the KO with Lugia. I don't think using Thunderus EX to recycle Plasma Energy will be good because that means you will be hitting 120 every other turn. Not that great IMO. Time will tell though.

petertclo said:
Actually use Thundurus EX (BW8)...

Energy discarded? No problem, come out and attack and reattach it.

I already talked about Thundurus. You basically waste an attack for an Energy. Do you really want to do that in the middle of the game? I wouldn't want to do that.

Back