Lucario EX Support

I1lucky

Your local Infernape
Lucario EX in itself is a great card to make a deck around mainly because of it being a fighting type. This lets all his moves get boosted by up to 100 damage (120 with muscle band) because of the new strong energy and fighting stadium. It's first attack is ok. It does 30 for 1 F energy which like all of his attacks can be boosted to do much more. His second costs 2 F energy is (in my opinion) the best because it does 60 damage (when boosted doing 180 knocking out a non mega EX in one hit) AND adds a bonus of drawing til you have 6 cards in your hand. It's final attack for 3 F energy a plain 140 damage (when boosted knocks out anything)

Of course it will be hard to get him set up and keep him alive.

So what could help make lucario better?
Discuss!

playtcg has just updated their cards to include furious fists, and yeah, Lucario EX and all the support are amazing. A couple of observations.

-Lucario's first attack is nice for starting damage, but it's the second attack that's the best. That built in draw has already saved me in a couple of games. I haven't really needed to use the mega (though I imagine that's a good one too).

-After I put it in one of my decks, I realized that focus slash didn't work on already damaged pokemon. Not a very good card, but I guess it could be decent with low HP pokemon (Hawlucha, Dugtrio, ect).

-The release of Dedenne has got me rethinking starter pokemon like Emolga. While Dedenne has a much better attack, I forgot how useful Emolga's free retreat was and there were times when I wished I had played that instead.

-My own fighting stadium has actually cost me a game by allowing an opponents Landorus to KO my own after it was put asleep by pesky lasers.

-Korrina is the bread and butter of fighting decks. It easily replaces Skyla (for those decks) and has even got me playing some item based draw to get the most out of it (playing computer search as the ace spec lets me get the stadium too). My favorite use is searching out Machamp and Rare Candy to evolve. I think it's easily the best card of the set.

What about a deoxys plasma badge approach?
I could see a couple deoxys as a helping hand making all of his attacks that much more powerful

Or garbotoxin that would work too maybe add a couple druddigon

grantm1999 said:
I1lucky said:
So what could help make lucario better?

Playing landorus alongside (or instead of) lucario makes it better.

Landorus EX isn't "better" than Lucario. It's only up side is obviously spread, but Lucario not only ignores resistance, but has a second attack and allows it to thoroughly outclass Lucario EX. You can play Landorus EX with it, but replacing it takes away half the engine.

I1lucky said:
I could see a couple deoxys as a helping hand making all of his attacks that much more powerful

Muscle band and lasers does the same thing but better

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
I1lucky said:

Muscle band and lasers does the same thing but better

True, but what if you combo badge with Thundurus and Strong energy? You could get back those energies for more damage (and even more with Deoxys EX).

Guys. Why are we even talking about pairing it with Deoxys when there's Machamp? (Plus it's not like you could attach Muscle Band AND Plasma Badge.)

Mora said:
Guys. Why are we even talking about pairing it with Deoxys when there's Machamp? (Plus it's not like you could attach Muscle Band AND Plasma Badge.)

Theorymoning I guess
Although I don't think you'd really base the whole thing around Machamp. It'd probably be a 3-0-3 or 2-1-2 IMHO

I wouldn't even add Machamp. PTCG is about consistency, and consistency would be to throw in the Muscle Band, choose between Fighting Stadium or Laserbank, and play aggressively. Adding in another line of Pokémon and then devoting 3-4 slots to Rare Candy is not going to work in this fast-paced meta. This is why Fighting Pokémon are going to be very strong and popular with this new set. Korrina brings so much consistency and promise to the table that it's kind of hard not to ignore Lucario-EX or Landorus-EX at this point. These guys are going to be just as good, if not better, than Darkrai/Sableye with the advent of Dark Explorers. Having a set devoted to a particular type is a pretty big deal.

Serperior said:
I wouldn't even add Machamp. PTCG is about consistency, and consistency would be to throw in the Muscle Band, choose between Fighting Stadium or Laserbank, and play aggressively. Adding in another line of Pokémon and then devoting 3-4 slots to Rare Candy is not going to work in this fast-paced meta. This is why Fighting Pokémon are going to be very strong and popular with this new set. Korrina brings so much consistency and promise to the table that it's kind of hard not to ignore Lucario-EX or Landorus-EX at this point. These guys are going to be just as good, if not better, than Darkrai/Sableye with the advent of Dark Explorers. Having a set devoted to a particular type is a pretty big deal.

True! But look at it this way
We are basically adding a Stage 2 line to a (more or less) Big Basics build. That's basically (more or less) what Wambaldt did to his Landorus/Registeel deck for nationals. And it worked out pretty well for him
Granted they are two seperate thoughts (one requires multiple stage twos, the other only one) but I I just thought it was food for thought (especially now with Korrina in play you can basically mimic what Andrew did)

PS: if I got the guys name wrong sorry I've been up for 16 hours

I was thinking the samething serperior about Machamp but we need a counter for pyroar. I dont think one mega lucario will be enough, the options I can think of are machamp, raichu, beartic, and dugtrio (doesnt one shot pyroar unless you have a muscle energy or a muscle band and laserbank which is alot). beartic and Raichu would be really slow since we dont use DCE. I think Laserbank would be better than fighting gym but I would use two banks and one fighting gym with four lasers. I think you have to run lasers no matter what even without the gym since 170 hp is a popular number for ex's could make us ohko, as well as it gives us more of a fighting chance against pyroar which I think will be even more popular next format, since tdk, accelgar, and yveltal are all nerfed or in accelgars case gone....

I dont like having autolosses in my deck thats why I played raichu 3/3 yveltal last format, I hope we can get something similar for fighting. As much as I hate machamp, raichu and beartic seem almost as slow with no synergy.

Lucario EX is a good support card. I think he will just be the token 1 starter for slow fighting decks like Tyrantrum/Landuros or Machamp/Landuros EX. Drawing 6 cards can do a lot.

I don't think Machamp is needed, but it's not a bad choice either. Combined with strong energy, muscle band, and the stadium, you can get stupid amounts of damage. Even a basic Machop with a mere F for 10 attack can become a huge hitter with enough support. Korrina makes it easy to get rare candy/Machamp, and it's always nice having a counter to that blasted Pyroar.

if fighting.dek was abusing dce I'd be against it but can anyone think of any better counters to Pyroar with some synergy other than machamp?? or maybe running two mega lucario is better?? What do you guys think?

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Theorymoning I guess
Although I don't think you'd really base the whole thing around Machamp. It'd probably be a 3-0-3 or 2-1-2 IMHO

Serperior said:

I'm not saying that Machamp is way to go, I'm just saying that Machamp > Deoxys. But I would like to note that with Korrina, you can litterally search out everything you need for Machamp: the Machamp and the Rare Candy. Plus, unlike Blastoise decks, Lucario and Landorus can hold their own just fine even if the soonest you can get out Machamp is turn 5. You're not sitting there dead in the water, fishing for your Stage 2, and passing. Again, not saying it's the way to go because I honestly haven't done much testing with it, but I do think it deserves credit as being one of the more playable Stage 2 options.

Edit: Anyone else find this slightly amusing? :p

dawtz said:
it gives us more of a fighting chance against pyroar.

If you want a counter to Pyroar, play LaserBank and/or Garbodor. You're already running Muscle Band and Float Stone is certainly a benefit with a heavy Lando-EX. Depending on your deck, you should always go first to get the early Laser or get your Bench ready for your Garb /or/ be the first to put damage onboard. It's almost a win-win situation for this deck at this point, just because the damage output for this deck is nuts.

Garbodor is fragile though and weakens matchups that Don't abuse pokemon abilities. I'm not saying it's bad, I just like to be proactive and prevent myself from the awful start of just grubish as well. Pyroar decks just use so many catcher effects now in days that they can kill it often.

Unless blastoise gets popular id rather use stage one or two.

When you mean Catcher effects, you mean Lysandre. Save Pramawat, Catcher flips are inconsistent and no one really goes for those. Trubbish starts really do suck. On the other hand, check this out. Korrina grabs Float Stone and a Lando or Lucario from your deck. So, you can attach to that EX, attach the Float Stone and bring out your main attacker and get to work. I don't like running Garbodor altogether because I hate the reliance on a Tool, but if you're worried about Pyroar, this is your best option right now.

Starting with Trubbish is not a problem as long as you're able to get another Pokemon out. You just attach Float Stone and boom! Ready to evolve into a Garbodor and instantly start shutting down after you retreat to the bench (On the second turn, of course)!

Also I've been doing a little testing with Lucario and I think it's better off without the Machamp. There are plenty of other things that can do better than Machamp does, and in a more consistent way too.

IMO, there will be essentially 2 strong lines of F decks emerging from the Furious Fists set: Landorus-Lucario-"friends" and Landorus-Lucario-Machamp. Since the English scans of the sets were made available, friends and I have been play-testing both types of decks. IMO, both decks are good; have their inherent +/-, and will be represented at upcoming tournaments.

Back