Lucario EX Support

Machamp won't have any success. It's a stage 2 that you have to set up just for +20 and adds unnecessary clunk.

grantm1999 said:
Machamp won't have any success. It's a stage 2 that you have to set up just for +20 and adds unnecessary clunk.

Lol "just +20"
That's a huge amount. And that's a pretty bold Statement "won't have any success".

People will still play it, even if it is bad. *Cough cough* Garchomp Altaria

Mora said:
People will still play it, even if it is bad. *Cough cough* Garchomp Altaria

Garchomp wasn't good until plasma was a thing and Rayboar, and Stoise. It was mediocre
Even then it was a niche deck. You had to call the meta.
Machamp is the same way, a meta call.

I won't go as far as to call Machamp "bad" however I do think that Fighting decks that don't play Machamp are a tiny bit better. The Machamp engine takes a lot of space but it allows Fighting to OHKO easier. I'm sure both variations will see a fair bit of success. Machamp has flaws but so does every other card (and deck).

I have tried Lucario EX/Tyrantrum and it is very good. Lucario EX does a lot of early damage, and can help you set up. Then switch to Tyrantrum to just finish everyone off. Landuros EX/Garbodor/Lucario EX is still a good deck.

I think we are all underestimating how easy it is to set up Machamps. By utilizing Korrina, you can stream these things starting Turn 2. Korrina for Machamp and Rare Candy, then boom! Machamp set up. I'd add a 3-0-3 line, as Machamp is rather good. It can even go as a non EX attacker if need be.

I think that 2-2 Raichu is a better option for pyroar counters, just my opnion, I just got into PTCG and don't really know what to play.

My friend just made a Lucario deck yesterday and I tell you this thing is a beast. As for partners I think the best would be between Garbodor and Machamp. I would personally go for Garbodor since it's easier to set up and now even faster with Korrina. And Lucario can pretty much OHKO almost anything without the need of Machamp by using the other ways of attack boosting in this new set. Still Machamp would also be a great partner helping you dish out that OHKO faster.

I actually think Machamp is the better one because of Korrina. Korrina can't grab Garbodor unless you use Korrina to grab an ultra ball or Evosoda. You can also use Korrina to fetch both rare candy and Machamp, meaning you only need a machop benched to get your Machamp. Speaking of Machop, I've managed to get this otherwise useless evolving basic hitting for 90 for one energy. Even starting with a basic like Machop can end up being not so horrible. Just having the ability to deal insane amounts of damage for a single energy is very powerful. We've seen Altaria have some success, but Machamp has so much more to work with that it's worth putting a stage 2 line in a deck.

Oh yeah, it also takes care of Pyroar which is always a plus.

The thing with Korrina is that it does give 1 pokemon and an item which makes Machamp easy setup and basically if you really want to get things setup fast you could run with 6 Korrinas (4 regs and 2 FA) which I saw someone in league today. I sometimes wonder if that is even legal but I think I read somewhere FA and regs are treated as different cards. Pretty much I saw him hit hard and fast, not giving the other Vir/Gen deck time to setup.

pygohan said:
The thing with Korrina is that it does give 1 pokemon and an item which makes Machamp easy setup and basically if you really want to get things setup fast you could run with 6 Korrinas (4 regs and 2 FA) which I saw someone in league today. I sometimes wonder if that is even legal but I think I read somewhere FA and regs are treated as different cards. Pretty much I saw him hit hard and fast, not giving the other Vir/Gen deck time to setup.

You can only run 4 cards with same name so 6 korrina's would be illegal, regardless of rarity.

Whilst I agree that machamp lets you hit huge damage numbers for small energy, I've come to prefer the big basics style deck with lucario, landorus, and mew two with garbodor to lock. I prefer being able to lock abilities with garbodor then have my own machamp abilities locked by someone else's garbodor.

pygohan said:

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, no wonder he was able to win with Machamp :p.

Perhaps you were thinking of FA Pokemon, where if you run a FA and a regular you need to write it down twice on your decklist...?

Machamp sounds great in theory, but doesn't work well when played. Unless you are playing against an Unlucky opponent, and you have a great hand you are not going to set up more than one Machamp at a time. Machamp is a stage 2 support in a format with Red Signal, Catcher, and Lysandre. Also on top of that if you want him to attack it is 3 fighting energy, and to retreat 2 colorless. Lucario EX deck's should not use DCE, so it will take you two turns to recover or 3 to attack. 150 is good, but Mewtwo EX hits times 2 on it.

Mr.Muffin said:
Machamp sounds great in theory, but doesn't work well when played. Unless you are playing against an Unlucky opponent, and you have a great hand you are not going to set up more than one Machamp at a time. Machamp is a stage 2 support in a format with Red Signal, Catcher, and Lysandre. Also on top of that if you want him to attack it is 3 fighting energy, and to retreat 2 colorless. Lucario EX deck's should not use DCE, so it will take you two turns to recover or 3 to attack. 150 is good, but Mewtwo EX hits times 2 on it.
Hmmm... Have you actually play-tested a Machamp deck yet? I'm having good results in my play-testing thus far. I run a 3-1-3 Machamp line in a deck (with 4 Korrina) and have not yet had any issues in getting 2 Machamps (80% of the time consistently) onto my bench. The damage output boost supplements Lucario EX's damage nicely; plus, Machamp 1HKOs Pyroars too.

TuxedoBlack said:
Hmmm... Have you actually play-tested a Machamp deck yet? I'm having good results in my play-testing thus far. I run a 3-1-3 Machamp line in a deck (with 4 Korrina) and have not yet had any issues in getting 2 Machamps (80% of the time consistently) onto my bench. The damage output boost supplements Lucario EX's damage nicely; plus, Machamp 1HKOs Pyroars too.

There's really no point in playing Machamp at all, unless you're planning on going for Lucario's 3rd attack or Land's Judgement.

Unless you plan on burning a ton of resources to get Lucario out with 2 Strong Energy, Muscle Band, Fighting Stadium and 2 Machamp on your bench, you won't be OHKO'ing anything. It would make the deck FAR more consistent to simple aim for a 2HKO strategy and drop the 3-1-3 Machamp and the Candies for more consistency cards.

TuxedoBlack said:
Mr.Muffin said:
I have actually have used it 3 times before I switched to Landuros/Lucario EX/Raichu against a friend who used Virgen, Dragonite EX/Virizion EX, and Yvetal/Garbodor.

4-1 M Lucario EX, 3 Landy EX, 1 Safeguard Sigilpyh(For Mega turn lost), and 2 Celebi EX work better than any deck I have tried.

Back