Logo Tutorial [GIMP]

pokemeister899

VM if you want to play ACNL with me!
Today we will be making a logo, used with the very easy features of GIMP. It only takes five steps! Parts circled in red are the important ones.

Step 1:

t1.png

Go to File, then Create, then Logos. Today we will use the Glossy one, because I feel like it. :p

Step 2:

t2.png

This will pop up. For my text, I will put example, but you can do whatever you want for that.

Step 3:

t3.png

Click the Gradient on Blend Gradient(Text) and Blend Gradient(Outline) and select a gradient. For this we'll use the Tropical Colors gradient.

Step 4:

t4.png

You can change the font size if you want. I left it as 100. Now click OK at the bottom, and...

Step 5:

t5.png

There we go, its done! You can add a color/gradient background if you want, but I'm not going too. Try making it yourself!

I knew that when I first got GIMP, which was like 6 months ago. It is pretty simple to do. It is nice, and has lots of designs.

Electric Pokemon Master said:
I knew that when I first got GIMP

^ that

And it's not really logo as in any type of logo too, but more of a typographic thing going there. Even MS office these days can do it, with their wordarts (and in some ways it even surpasses gimp's text tools)

I did my logo (the little symbol on the corner of my avatar) in gimp too. Used its bezier curve functions under the path tool. It's not as precise as using a vector program, but it's the most one can manage with a raster program like gimp.

On a personal note, I find that using the text tool to generate the word, and then using that as a template works better, because you have more control over stuff and can backtrack if need be. I've never really used that logo tool.

Guys, it's helpful regardless. It may be obvious to you all, but a lot of people who just get Gimp don't know where to start exploring. This is a step for them, or those who want to use the Logo generator in general. I'm going to add it to the Tutorial and Resource list, thank you very much.

Theres a whole bunch of gimp documentation

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

^ that covers the basics. Standard for every gimp beginner. I took a pretty long time to read through it when I first got gimp too.

Like lilsparks101 said, it's still a good tutorial. Thanks, pokemaister899, it will at least be a good contribution to the Tutorial & Resource Thread.

Back