Local Store "Legacy" - Need Help With a Deck

froggy025 said:
Deals 40 for a DCE, with PlusPowers it is your best bet for donking purposes.

Alright, seems legit, but I will say this deck has no popularity inside of the legacy scene that we have, but I can see how awesome it is.

A list I saw was:
----Pokemon (15)----
2x Ditto
3x Rocket's Zapdos
3x Mewtwo (Promotwo)
3x Clefairy
3x Clefable
1x Erika's Jigglypuff
---Trainers (30)---
4x Plus Power
2x Energy Removal
4x Super Energy Removal
3x Misty's Wrath
3x Professor Oak
3x Computer Search
3x Item Finder
3x Gust Of Wind
1x Nightly Garbage Run
2x Sneak Attack
2x Scoop Up
----Energy (15)----
4x Double Colorless Energy
5x Psychic Energy
6x Lightning Energy

I FEEL the energy count is super small, but the dig potential is just crazy. Also wasn't sure why the lack of Bill, but I guess there wasn't enough room?

If you're playing with people who know what they're doing, here's how the game will often play out if your opponent goes first:

Opponent plays Trapper Combo to destroy your hand
Opponent plays Chaos Stadium
Opponent attaches an energy to their Rocket's Zapdos and attacks
Your turn comes and you draw a Misty's Wrath
You flip tails on Chaos Stadium and your opponent gets to use it instead
You have no hand so all you can do is pass
Your opponent uses Plasma again and now has a full power Rocket's Zapdos
You draw an energy and attach it
Your opponent proceeds to beat you down while you're helpless to do anything about it

Wizards of the Coast were seriously considering implementing a limit of 15 trainer cards per deck because it was so ridiculous. Cleffa being printed in the next set was the only reason it didn't happen.

Tash said:
If you're playing with people who know what they're doing, here's how the game will often play out if your opponent goes first:

Opponent plays Trapper Combo to destroy your hand
Opponent plays Chaos Stadium
Opponent attaches an energy to their Rocket's Zapdos and attacks
Your turn comes and you draw a Misty's Wrath
You flip tails on Chaos Stadium and your opponent gets to use it instead
You have no hand so all you can do is pass
Your opponent uses Plasma again and now has a full power Rocket's Zapdos
You draw an energy and attach it
Your opponent proceeds to beat you down while you're helpless to do anything about it

Wizards of the Coast were seriously considering implementing a limit of 15 trainer cards per deck because it was so ridiculous. Cleffa being printed in the next set was the only reason it didn't happen.

Thankfully, NONE of the people there are playing that, so this scenario isn't going to happen. xD

Yup, Trapper is a great choice, as it forces your opponent to either top-deck Oak / Misty's Wrath / Bill / Erika, or get crushed.
And that's a reason why I don't like not playing 4 Bill even if there is not enough room.

And Wizards actually implemented the limit of 15 Trainers / 3 copies per deck in 4 of their STS.
Here's an example at the STS New Jersey in November 2000:
http://s17.postimg.org/5y7ws12vx/deck_database_preview2.png

froggy025 said:
Yup, Trapper is a great choice, as it forces your opponent to either top-deck Oak / Misty's Wrath / Bill / Erika, or get crushed.
And that's a reason why I don't like not playing 4 Bill even if there is not enough room.

And Wizards actually implemented the limit of 15 Trainers / 3 copies per deck in 4 of their STS.
Here's an example at the STS New Jersey in November 2000:
http://s17.postimg.org/5y7ws12vx/deck_database_preview2.png

Interesting.. they play a format where they don't care for how many trainers you have. So that's not something to be worrying over (thankfully).

What is an example of a Trapper deck? Also, where would I go to just look around at retro pokemon decks? Been trying to look and failing, rather suboptimal at google-ing for old things.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL! <3

Here's what I play on TCGone, decklist is not perfect by any means, feel free to tweak it:

4 Rocket's Zapdos (G2 15)
1 Erika's Jigglypuff (G2 69)
2 Ditto (FO 3)

3 Professor Oak (BS 88)
2 Misty's Wrath (G1 114)
4 Erika (G1 16)
4 Bill (BS 91)
3 Computer Search (BS 71)
3 Item Finder (BS 74)
4 The Rocket's Trap (G1 19)
1 Rocket's Sneak Attack (TR 16)
2 Imposter Oaks Revenge (TR 76)
2 Chaos Gym (G2 102) (Not implemented in TCGone, I play +1 Rocket's Sneak Attack +1 No Resistance gym instead)
3 Pluspower (BS 84)
2 Super Energy Removal (BS 79)
2 Gust Of Wind (BS 93)
1 Warp Point (G2 126)
2 Scoop Up (BS 78)

4 Double Colorless Energy (BS 96)
11 Lightning Energy (BS 100)

froggy025 said:
Here's what I play on TCGone, decklist is not perfect by any means, feel free to tweak it:

4 Rocket's Zapdos (G2 15)
1 Erika's Jigglypuff (G2 69)
2 Ditto (FO 3)

3 Professor Oak (BS 88)
2 Misty's Wrath (G1 114)
4 Erika (G1 16)
4 Bill (BS 91)
3 Computer Search (BS 71)
3 Item Finder (BS 74)
4 The Rocket's Trap (G1 19)
1 Rocket's Sneak Attack (TR 16)
2 Imposter Oaks Revenge (TR 76)
2 Chaos Gym (G2 102) (Not implemented in TCGone, I play +1 Rocket's Sneak Attack +1 No Resistance gym instead)
3 Pluspower (BS 84)
2 Super Energy Removal (BS 79)
2 Gust Of Wind (BS 93)
1 Warp Point (G2 126)
2 Scoop Up (BS 78)

4 Double Colorless Energy (BS 96)
11 Lightning Energy (BS 100)

Oh! Awesome thanks, though curious..:
1. Why so few pokemon?
2. What is TCGone?
3. Why play Erika if you're trying to strip your opponents hand?

1. You need room for the Trainers.
2. A free simulator which you can use to play old formats
3. You play Erika, then Imposter Oak's Revenge, negating the cards they drew with Erika.

froggy025 said:
1. You need room for the Trainers.
2. A free simulator which you can use to play old formats
3. You play Erika, then Imposter Oak's Revenge, negating the cards they drew with Erika.

All makes sense, my question now is what would you change about the list? Has anything underperformed? Any numbers you would would change? (Besides the 2 Chaos gym since you can't play them in TCGone)

I'm really into the control style of decks (which this seems to be, or really a combo deck), so I'm putting it together, just grabbing up Rocket's Zapdos' atm.

Back