Legendaries vs tuned deck

dbgoldberg323

TCG Professor, League Owner
So I'm starting to see what you guys were saying about the meta being all about fast Basics and Stage 1's. I played a match the other night with my Gothivoire deck against my wife's Zekrom/Reshiram/Regigigas EX deck, and went 1-2-0 against it.

I've got two questions.

1. What should I do against a deck like that, one that's not fully optimized but uses high hit-point basics with cheap and awesome attacks? (Using my Gothivoire deck above, of course). Any changes/suggestions?

2. What could my wife add to her deck to make it faster? She runs a ton of draw supporters as well as the super nice Interviewer's Questions (to get those 4x DCE out faster). I know I haven't posted a deck list, but honestly it's basically just Regi, Reshi, Zek, DCE's, fire & electric energy, switches, catchers, draw supporters, interviewer's questions, and I think she was toying with Plus Powers, Revives, and Max Potions. I know I'll probably see some "add Mewtwo EX" responses for this part, but what else could she throw in to that legendary-themed deck to make it more efficient?

Thanks a lot for the tips/suggestions/advice guys!

item lock is useless vs your wifes deck. and if item lock is useless then so is gothitelle, stage 2 with lame attack... youll need to promote darmanitan or mewtwo

and your wife can add electrode prime to her deck, and then fine tune the deck list.

JayKam said:
item lock is useless vs your wifes deck. and if item lock is useless then so is gothitelle, stage 2 with lame attack
Gothitelle doing 150 damage with just 3 energy is lame? Knocking out her EX's with OHKO is lame? Do you know what Gardevoir does?

JayKam said:
youll need to promote darmanitan or mewtwo
I'm trying not to use Mewtwo because I know it will work too well. As for Darmanitan, I'm thinking of taking it out altogether and upping the numbers for Gothitelle. Gothitelle hits harder and more consistently.

JayKam said:
and your wife can add electrode prime to her deck, and then fine tune the deck list.
Hmm. Energymite is nice. She'd have to add 2x Voltorb and 2x Electrode Prime plus maybe Pokémon Communication or something to make it work, but then I'm not sure a prize for 2-3 energy is worth it without more energy like double rainbow, boost, etc. We'll take a look at it though.

The problem with gothitelle is that its a stage 2 and takes more time to set up than for example mewtwo. (I know you dont want it but Mewtwo EX would probably be the better choice to attack with since it also uses the opponent's energies to help attack.) I think he said gothitelle was pretty lame because mewtwo will completely destroy it and take advantage of it any day, it has relatively low hp, and is a stage 2 so it will take more time to setup.

With the reshiram/zekrom/regigigas EX deck, energy acceleration would be great since its crucial to start attacking as much as possible. Just a quick question but does that deck have any pokemon that does damage to your own bench (e.g. donphan, landorus,..)? It would be a pretty good combo with the three. It would be kinda helpful if you posted the decklists so we can help with it better.

Jirachi said:
The problem with gothitelle is that its a stage 2 and takes more time to set up than for example mewtwo. (I know you don't want it but Mewtwo EX would probably be the better choice to attack with since it also uses the opponent's energies to help attack.) I think he said gothitelle was pretty lame because mewtwo will completely destroy it and take advantage of it any day, it has relatively low hp, and is a stage 2 so it will take more time to setup.
I understand, but for two energy (which would equal four with Gardevoir) it can attack for 110 damage which would OHKO Mewtwo EX. It is certainly slower than Mewtwo (and is weak to him) but it's not really that bad. This is why I simply don't like Mewtwo EX, but see that other thread for discussion on that.

Jirachi said:
With the reshiram/zekrom/regigigas EX deck, energy acceleration would be great since its crucial to start attacking as much as possible. Just a quick question but does that deck have any pokemon that does damage to your own bench (e.g. donphan, landorus,..)? It would be a pretty good combo with the three. It would be kinda helpful if you posted the decklists so we can help with it better.
I basically did list the deck out in my last post, but I agree it should have its own Deck Garage thread.

I was mainly talking about your wife's decklist really so we might be able to help change some things so it might be more efficient.

Jirachi said:
I was mainly talking about your wife's decklist really so we might be able to help change some things so it might be more efficient.

So was I:
dbgoldberg323 said:
I know I haven't posted a deck list, but honestly it's basically just Regi, Reshi, Zek, DCE's, fire & electric energy, switches, catchers, draw supporters, interviewer's questions...

But I made a new Deck Garage thread on it here http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-outrage-zekrom-reshiram-regigigas to prevent this thread from becoming a Deck Garage thread and thus being in the wrong spot.

Anyways, how should I go about defeating a deck like hers with my Gothivoire deck? What strategies to players usually use to get rid of these high HP basics with Outrage? Just OHKO them? Status effects?

It would be pretty hard. That's where mewtwo EX would help a lot though. Since all those basics can be set up a lot faster, it would be best to use a basic to attack so you can it up a lot faster.

Jirachi said:
It would be pretty hard. That's where mewtwo EX would help a lot though. Since all those basics can be set up a lot faster, it would be best to use a basic to attack so you can it up a lot faster.

I guess you're right. I'd have to pull out the Mewtwo version of that deck for any hopes in defeating a faster deck like that, and then I've resorted to easy mode.
cry.gif
I can't wait for sets that have Pokémon that do more damage to or seriously screw EX's like back in '06. :p

I think the best counter to mewtwo would just be mewtwo, the best counter to regigigas might be terrakion, the best counter to zekrom EX is also terrakion. Since your wife's deck contains both zekrom and regigigas EX, try terrakion.

Jirachi said:
I think the best counter to mewtwo would just be mewtwo, the best counter to regigigas might be terrakion, the best counter to zekrom EX is also terrakion. Since your wife's deck contains both zekrom and regigigas EX, try terrakion.

Oh lol, I guess I meant "what should I do against decks like this", as opposed to her deck specifically. I guess using the Mewtwo version would work. I just feel like there's something missing that I could do to really have an edge. Maybe I'm just still in shock at how amazing these EX's and high-HP basics are.

As I said, I believe the best thing to do against those kinds of decks might be to just use mewtwo EX and If they also have a mewtwo EX just hope to win the mewtwo war.

I'm assuming you're using the Gothivore list with Darmanitan? The Mewtwo EX variant would be a better choice against your wife's deck as her deck revolves around Basic pokemon that need 3 energy minimum to start attacking. Load Mewtwo up with just 2 {P} energy with Gardevoir on the bench and you're dealing 140 damage.

With your current list (if you haven't changed anything) you should drop the energy count to 13 energy as it's more than enough, plus Gardevoir is already doubling all your {P} energy. This will free up 8 slots which will be put into various items and supporters. Also switch the Judge for N. Unlike Magnezone your deck has no built in draw power, so if you judge yourself into a bad hand your in trouble. N helps early game by giving you a fresh hand of 6 or if your opponents winning you can N their hand size down giving you time to mount a comeback.

Exp. Share is something to consider seeing as preferably you'll want 3 {P} energy on Gothitelle for 150 damage. It helps with maintaining energy on the field. Shaymin UL is another card to help maintain energy on the field. If you have a switch in hand and a fresh Gothitelle on the bench you can use Switch to switch out your damage Gothitelle for the fresh Gothitelle and drop a Shaymin to tranfer all of the energy. Having trouble setting up? Twins could be the card for you. setting up 2 Stage 2 pokemon can be hard especially if your I/S/S isn't properly designed to handle it. If you go down in prizes, then drop a Twins and get any 2 cards you want.
Max out the Rare Candy and add some Sage's Training

As for your wife's deck: is she already running Eviolite and Prism Energy? If not, then those are some good cards for keeping pokemon alive slightly longer as well as helping with the energy clash (Prism provides every energy type) Shaymin + Super Scoop Up/Seeker helps with using Max potion as i doubt she wants to heal a pokemon and lose all the energy attached to it. She can drop a switch to a benched EX pokemon, use Shaymin to transfer the energy and then Max Potion the damaged pokemon. It's a little situational, but it can be done.

Your wife's deck is too spread out. She needs to take things out so that she only has 1 type of energy to play with, and then add some form of energy acceleration. If she sticks with Zekrom maybe Eels or Pachirisu/Shaymin, if she goes with Reshiram pick Emboar or Typhlosion.

^i think he made another thread in the deck garage containing his wife's deck called it an outrage deck I think. I think if it's an outrage deck you should add donphan or landorus or etc. but if you plan on attacking with not the outrage most of the time then do what rikko said.

For your wife's deck i would recommend that she throws in landorus or donphan prime. These help to get damage counters on your dragons on the bench.

As for your deck i would recommend maxing out on rare candy, communication and catcher. The rare candy helps to get out your stage 2s early, the communication helps with set up and the catchers help to bring up this like regigigas's that have no energy on them.

LMK if i helped =)

Back