Korrina vs. Skyla

I1lucky

Your local Infernape
Korina and Skyla are very similar as cards.
Korrina - Trainer
Supporter

Search your deck for 1 [F] Pokemon and 1 Item card, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Which is better?

RE: Korrina v.s Skyla

While Skyla is still in the format, I'd assume that Skyla will still be the go-to Trainer-search Supporter in the format, but Korrina is very good, and while most decks cannot take advantage of the energy searching ability, searching for an Item is all Stage 2 decks need to be able to search out that Rare Candy, which is Skyla's main use now in Stage 2's. I feel like they sort of slapped on the Fighting-energy search to align it with the Fighting theme of Furious Fists, but it really doesn't matter as it's optional. :) Besides, without Beaches next season, not being able to Skyla for a Beach will no longer be a thing.

Usually Skyla since it can get you Stadiums and a Supporter for next turn, but in the upcoming fighting decks, Korina is better. It can still get the majority of cards you'd get with Skyla while also netting you a pokemon.

Not sure about decks that have a few fighting pokemon teched in.

Woah, Fighting Pokemon? I thought it was energy... Man, that changes everything. This will make splashing a Landorus or two into my Empoleon Deck a lot easier.

Skyla is much more consistent since with Korrina If you don't have any Fighting Types to search for the requirement of it's effect then the card is supposed to do nothing because it requires you to meet 2 conditions unless you decide to fail to find on the Fighting Type depending If it's in your deck or not or just use Korrina for the sake of getting Rare Candy in hand which I don't think is legal according to tournament rules. Korrina would be great for getting Landorus EX and Rare Candy in Empoleon/Dusknoir but what If Boundaries Crossed gets rotated out next season? Kind of a moot point don't you think?

Card Slinger J said:
Skyla is much more consistent since with Korrina If you don't have any Fighting Types to search for the requirement of it's effect then the card is supposed to do nothing because it requires you to meet 2 conditions unless you decide to fail to find on the Fighting Type depending If it's in your deck or not or just use Korrina for the sake of getting Rare Candy in hand which I don't think is legal according to tournament rules. Korrina would be great for getting Landorus EX and Rare Candy in Empoleon/Dusknoir but what If Boundaries Crossed gets rotated out next season? Kind of a moot point don't you think?

Just want to point out a couple things here. Skyla is better yes but we're only going to have the two cards in format together for about. 2-3 weeks before rotation. You don't need to complete both conditions for the card for it to go off your deck is private knowledg do you can fail the pokemon search and just grab the item. Just like pokeballs. And since boundries crossed is rotating we'll still have empoleon dusknoir because they where both reprinted as secrecy rares in plasma and the basics in LTR just saying :)

Wait, has it been confirmed that next rotation is PS on yet?

You know, I think Korina might be the better card. Most of the cards you search for with Skyla are indeed items. Korina can still turn into an energy (professors letter), pokemon (ultra ball), damage boost (laser/muscle band/silver bangle), draw (bicycle/roller skates), and even obscure things like energy switch and ace specs. The fact that it can get a pokemon (even if limited to fighting) and an item lets it serve two purposes. Since fighting decks are getting a huge boost with their own special energy, I would not be surprised if they become big again.

Fighting decks will be good, Korrina will only help. I feel like Korrina is the better card anyway because a lot of decks currently run sawk or other fighting pokemon to counter Darkrai and Thundurus. Skyla can search out stadiums and other supporters, but tropical beach is most likely getting rotated. Korina can search for bicycle, flame torch, roller skates, level ball to get that Jirachi for a supporter.

Sadly level ball is most likely rotated along with beach unless the obscure tuners about level ball, dark patch and sableye as gold reprints turns out to be true (unlikely though).

Cortel II said:
Sadly level ball is most likely rotated along with beach unless the obscure tuners about level ball, dark patch and sableye as gold reprints turns out to be true (unlikely though).

Wait Level Ball, Dark Patch, and Sableye (Dark Explorers) are getting reprinted as Secret Rares eventually? Apparently TPCi loves Darkrai/Yveltal/Garbodor too much to rotate out next season If this rumor is true. I think Darkrai's overstayed his welcome and needs to get rotated out however people will complain about not being able to run Yveltal EX since it's what makes it work alongside Garbodor for shutting down meta decks that rely on abilities.

Yo-yos said:
As for the tropical beach post, it was 200 it is now 50.

Not surprising since it's getting rotated out next season, although I probably still wouldn't pay $100 for 2 Beaches just to make my deck consistent enough to do well at Cities, States, Nats, or even Worlds. My budget for buying cards on eBay is $25 max especially for singles so as tempting of an offer getting 2 Beaches for $100 a piece from someone at my locals before they rotate sounds nice it's too much of a risk for me to take when I have better investments elsewhere.

Please stay on topic guys :D. You can talk about the next rotation here. If you would like to talk about Tropical Beach then you may create a new thread to talk about it.

Skyla is better due to variety. Fighting types need a huge boost to be viable when the set comes out (ahem energy acceleration), and yeah Korrina is good, but Skyla searching for Stadiums like Tropical Beach, or supporters for next turn is just so clutch. I've skyla'd for supporters so many times ironically, but at least I was able to. Korrina is still dead with a bad hand unless you play Jirachi, and if I want to play a non draw supporter I want it to be Lysandre.

Skyla lets you grab stadiums and supporters, where as korrina grabs items and pokemon, and in all honesty even when I use skyla to grab items not stadiums and supporters, so korrina is definitely better 1 versus 2.

Also if your opponent is smart they will N you to dilute the skyla to supporter grab.

I plan on testing Korrina in Empoleon / Dugtrio and I see alot of synergy going for it. The idea is to open the game with Kangaskhan so you can Call for Family Piplup and Diglett onto your bench then next turn Korrina for Rare Candy and Dugtrio If you already have Empoleon in hand so you can get both your Pokemon out fully evolved by Turn 2 or Turn 3.

In my Mega Lucario deck Korinna is essential as it allows me to search for Either Lando/Luca/MLuca and to search for computer search, muscle band, Ultra balls, and sparkling robes (To defend against HypnoLaser). And also skyla isn't being rotated out as she is in BCR.

Back