Koala Pokemon 'Nekkoala' and Puppy Pokemon 'Iwanako' Revealed in 'CoroCoro!'

ElfieIsLovely

Top Coordinator
So I wake up at 12:05 in the morning to check Serebii and not only Doge is confirmed but we finally got a Koala and he cute as could be? All we need is a saw shark and Dolphin. Pokemon is showing out!!!!

Ami Dark

Professor/Leader of the Destiny Tower League
A rock dog. I can dig that. Wonder if it will be right in the beginning to catch like Lillipup was in Black and White. >w> Be nice to have a kitty and a puppy right off the rip.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Give me. The dog. I want. The dog.

But wait... How are WE getting Magearna? They get a code for it like three months early! Can we have something like ORAS and XY? It comes with a code for like maybe a level 10 Magearna?

Last edited:

Turtleatlaw

Aspiring Trainer
Nothing like seeing new Pokemon to get you excited for a new generation!

And new typings for the Pokemon in the early routes is always refreshing.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
I like these two. Cute and simple designs, no silliness. Much better than the starters. Nice to know the dog is not the usual Normal-type and a Koala pokémon is one of those things that should have already happened.

I hope these QR codes don't turn out to be a mess like the serial codes... I'm kinda tired of GF coming up with a new stupid gimmicky way every gen to distribute event pokémon. Just do it through Wi-Fi and everyone's happy.

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
I'm definitely curious as to why the dog is a rock type of all things. Also the Koala's ability is such a double edged sword, like great it can't be burned, poisoned, etc, but sleep is such a pain of status to deal with.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
Actually, kinda annoyed at the dog. I mean, love him as a Pokemon, but if it does turn out to be something you encounter everywhere early on, being stuck with normal-type attacks on our starters will make them a real pain.
...Actually, for that reason, I bet we won't find them in the beginning routes.

I'm trying to think of good use for the Koala's ability, but it just seems to be a bit of a niche to avoid most status. I mean, if it gained enough bulk on evolving maybe it'd make a good RestTalk user, but Rest removes status anyway so the ability turns redundant.
Actually, I'm going to be optimistic and hope for a branched evolution here. One where he wakes up (in similar fashion to Vigoroth gaining all his energy) and is more offensive, and the other where he stays in a deep sleep and focusing more on defense.

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer
Am I the only who noticed that theres suddenly a sparkle/shine next to the Pokemon lab?

it wasn't there before

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Rocky is definitely a suited name for this guy.

Actually, kinda annoyed at the dog. I mean, love him as a Pokemon, but if it does turn out to be something you encounter everywhere early on, being stuck with normal-type attacks on our starters will make them a real pain.
...Actually, for that reason, I bet we won't find them in the beginning routes.

I'm trying to think of good use for the Koala's ability, but it just seems to be a bit of a niche to avoid most status. I mean, if it gained enough bulk on evolving maybe it'd make a good RestTalk user, but Rest removes status anyway so the ability turns redundant.

It is like a nerfed Magic Guard ability, the way I see it.
And you got a point with the dog, which is going to be annoying for whoever's going to choose Litten (it is actually logical, them being a dog and a cat).

Last edited:

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Dog is almost certainly a reference to a loyal shiba inu from Japanese history. First starter dog I'm not immediately turned off by design, plus interesting type ...
But perhaps the most satisfying thing is the curvy route diagram from image #5, oh my god.

Axelsaurus

Honnouji Accademy League Champ
Both really really cute. Nekkoala has a pretty interesting ability for a early normal type, finally something new; I'm really hoping for a giant wombat evo! Something cute and tank-ish. Iwanko is refreshing too, being pure rock instead of normal, and I'm really hoping its evos will be fast: there's an overall lack of fast rock types, and this little guy could be interesting in that regard. I'm glad they're continuing the XY path of early 'mons not being utterly impersonal.

dotamin

Aspiring Trainer
To think that it took Nintendo 20 years to finally come up with a pokemon based on koala....oh well. On topic, I absolutely love both of them. Nekkoala's ability sounds pretty good, hopefully it will have stats to pull it off. Iwanko's pure rock typing is quite a surprise and I'm thankful they didn't go for the predictable normal typing. If you ask me, Sun and Moon are already shaping up to be better then X and Y.

Videoland

Aspiring Trainer
The dog is awesome, I hope it will have a good speed stat as we don't have many speedy rock pokémon! Off course being a early route mon will probably make it suck (som birds have been good, but usually not the mammals or bugs =/)

yu6

Demon Buster Trainee
Iwanko is really cute! I really like this new puppy!
As for Nekkoala... for now I don't know... I don't like it but don't dislike it neither XD