Event Kansas Regionals Top 32 Report

One Approved

;
Advanced Member
Disclaimer: Mods please move this is in the wrong spot. Wasn't sure where to put this.

Hey PokeBeach! Back with another tournament report, this time for Kansas Regionals which happened last weekend. The tournament featured 176 masters which would be 8 rounds and top 8 playing off day 2. I decided to roll in with an Yveltal list that I had success with in testing. The list looked something like this:

2 Yveltal-EX
2 Yveltal - Fright Night
1 Yveltal - Oblivion Wing
1 Darkrai EX - Night Spear
1 Darkrai EX - Dark Pulse
2 Shaymin EX
1 Jirachi EX
1 Mew Fates Collide

3 Professor Sycamore
1 N
1 Colress
1 Lysandre
1 Ghetsis
1 Delinquent
1 AZ

4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
4 Dark Patch
3 Trainer's Mail
3 Max Elixir
2 Battle Compressor
1 Escape Rope
1 Dowsing Machine

2 Fighting Fury Belt
1 Float Stone

2 Silent Lab
1 Reverse Valley

9 Darkness Energy
3 Double Colorless Energy

So the above list was based on Oliver Barr's list that Top 8'd Seattle Regionals before losing to a very unfavorable matchup in Rainbow Road. The only difference was I dropped a Sableye for a Float Stone, and I ran the Mew instead of a Mewtwo EX, to take out Gallade. The list allowed me to blow up the field rather quickly similarly to turbo darkrai, but I also had the option to play more conservatively if I needed to. Anyways, without me explaining my list any further, let's just jump into the matches!

Round 1: vs Scott DeGraw w/ Night March

This game was featured on stream on MrRen123's twitch channel.

Game 1: Scott won the coin flip and had a very good opening. He opened a Joltik, and threw 5 or 6 night marchers into the discard pile and had a pretty good board state set up. At the end of his turn he played Trainers Mail and took an Escape Rope but held it and passed turn. I opened a Darkrai. I attached an energy as well as a Fury Belt, and sycamored into an Oblivion Wing yveltal. I retreated behind the baby yveltal. I was holding an Ultra Ball and could have tried to continue to set up with Shaymin (I had no supporter so I had to take either that or Jirachi) but I opted to hold it forgetting that he had Escape Rope in hand. I Dark Patched to the Darkrai, and I figured he probably wouldn't get to 220 HP regardless if he found a way to get Darkrai active (lol) so I just passed. Scott played the Escape Rope, Sycamore'd, and unfortunately drew into his 1 Startling Megaphone. He also played Muscle Bands instead of Fury Belt, so he was able to drop a few more marchers into the discard pile and hit for 180 exactly on the dot. The next turn I went for a little EX to further my set up, and was able to take an oblivion wing KO, but Scott was able to Lysandre my little EX for a KO and took a 2-5 Prize Card lead. I scooped shortly after.

Game 2: My opening was better than average this time. I had a Dark Pulse Darkrai up and running on turn 2. Scott was still able to Megaphone the Fury belt away almost instantly, much to my annoyance, but his start was less spectacular so it still stuck around to take some early KOs. Mid-game scott burned through his hand in an attempt to keep up with my start, so I dropped my tech of Delinquent to discard the only 2 cards in his hand - a Puzzle of Time and a Teammates. Scott drew passed for a few tuns and conceded to go to game 3.

Game 3: Time was called on the first turn of the game. unfortunatly, I started 1 Darkrai, whiffed off of a Trainer's Mail, and then dead drew. I countered his Dimension Valley twice, but Scott just attached a second DCE and was able to KO my lone Darkrai EX to steal game 3. Drats.

0-1-0

Round 2: vs Jason Chavez (Trevenant)

Game 1: I won the coin flip (thank God) and blew up my field on turn 1, knowing I wouldn't get another chance to play my items afterwards. I just put 3 energy on an yveltal EX and started taking KOs. Jason did manage to keep the prize count fairly close, but i never really felt I was threatened. He eventually ran out of Trevenants and had to push up Wobbuffet in order to take a KO, so I was able to Escape Rope, free retreat, and Lysandre his Mewtwo EX to take the final KO of the game.

Game 2: My opponent went first but unfortunately had a less than stellar start. He missed the turn 1 Wally item lock, so I was able to explode again and just sweep his field.

1-1-0

Round 3: vs Lonnie Web (Accelgor/Wobb)

Game 1: I won the coin flip and Ghetsis'd his opening hand for 4, leaving him with a Wobb and a DCE. He dead drew for the rest of the game so I swept his field.

Game 2: Shoutouts to @Pride for what we call "The Ultimate Trap." Turn 1 my only supporter was Ghetsis, so I ghetsis'd for 1. Turn 2, my only out to a supporter was VS Seeker for Ghetsis, for 2. Turn 3, I laid the ultimate trap. "He'll never do it 3 turns in a row!!!" Lol. I ghetsis'd my opponent again for 3. He still had a supporter to play, but the following turn, he was so scared that I would Ghestis again that he plowed through his entire hand, leaving him with just 2 cards. So I played Delinquent, and then swept through his entire field.

2-1-0

Round 4: vs Pearce Blend (Toad/Bats)

Game 1: My opponent went first, and after he flipped over the Seismitoad, I knew I had to advance my board state as much as humanly possible because I wasn't going to get another chance to do so. unfortunately he Ghetsis'd me for 5, so I didn't get that chance.

Game 2: I went first, and tried to push forward as much as possible. I set up an early Fright Night and attacked his Jirachi EX. Unfortunately he Super Scoop Up'd it out of play instantly. I was able to set an yveltal EX up in the backfield, but unfortunately, it fell just short of the KO on Seismitoad because my opponent found a Fury Belt in time. Item Lock slowly but surely killed my deck as I had zero access to Elixirs and Dark Patches, so I just wasn't able to set up any more attackers. Playing such a low amount of pokemon hurt me as well, because without Ultra Balls, I would have to sycamore away resources to attempt to draw them. My opponent was really cool though, and ended up making top 8 at 6-1-1, so that was cool.

2-2-0

Round 5: vs Lavell Lovett (Yveltal @Maxie's)

Game 1: My opponent mulliganed with like 5 items in his hand, so after he hit a basic, I turn one ghetsis'd him and slowed him down significantly. he was able to draw into a supporter not too much after, but it still gave me time ot advance my board state. My opponent ended up burning a bunch of resources to try and catch up with me, and late-game he left himself with very few cards in his deck. I was actually able to deck him out by Ning him from 3 cards to 4, and then he drew his last card on the following turn, and conceded.

Game 2: Game 1 took up a lot of time, so I just ended up stalling this game out. I made my opponent kill 3 non-exs, and then take down 2 Fury Belted Darkrais, whcih was hard for him. On turn 1, he got the Maxie's for the gallade, but I responded with a turn 1 Fates Collide Mew KO via Dark Pulse, so it was very hard for him to take out my darkrais late-game. My opponent didn't have enough time to get all 6 of his prize cards, so I ended up winning the set 1-0.

3-2-0

Round 6: vs Carrington Huffman (Carbink BREAK/Regirock/Landorus)

Game 1: Carrington flipped over 2 Safeguard Carbinks on the first turn, but didn't play any other pokemon down aside from a Regirock, so I wasn't really sure what was going to happen. I swarmed my non-EX attackers in an effort to take down the safeguard carbinks, but I think this ended up hurting me late-game as I didn't have enough heavy hitters to take down the Landorus. In addition, the low-HP basic pokemon ended up being free cheap prizes for Carrington to take with hammerhead. He ended up taking down all 3 of my baby Yveltals, and he was able to threaten a KO on my Mew on the bench via Hammerhead. I was forced to Sky Return it out of play, and N my opponent to 1. unfortunately, he hit a Sycamore, and was able to bring up an Yveltal EX and Land's Judgement for the ko. We didn't have time for game 2, so my opponent won 1-0.

3-3-0.

Round 7: vs Nick O'Connel (thundurus/Lugia/Deoxys)

Game 1: Plasma! A blast from the past! My opponent took an early KO on my Shaymin EX with Raiden Knuckle, but I was able to bring up his Lugia EX that he was charging on the bench and OHKO it with Evil Ball. From there, I kept Silent Lab in play, and my opponent wasn't able to do enough damage to keep up with a fully charged Yveltal-EX. He conceded the set after game 1.

4-3-0

Round 8: vs Steve Guthrie (Yveltal@Maxie's)

Game 1: I won the coinflip and Ghetsis'd and rolled him. I must have done this 4 or 5 times by now, Expanded really sucks lol.

Game 2: My opponent tried to Ghetsis me on turn 1, but I only had 3 items in hand, as well as a Sycamore that I was holding. I turned the tables and Ghetsis'd my opponent back on turn 2, and left him with a couple of energy, an Archeops, and a stadium. Eventually when he started laying his energy down, I was able to Delinquent the remaining cards out of his hand and then drop Silent Lab, which shut down his deck completely. I just took KOs with Fright Night Yveltal and was able to set up an Yveltal EX on the bench to clean up late-game.

Final Record: 5-3-0, 30th place

I just ecked into top 32 on resistance, shoutouts to my opponents for not sucking. Out of my packs, I pulled 4-ish ultra rares, which was cool. The CP from Kansas also puts me above 100 on the season, which means I just need to top 8 Nationals to get a worlds invite...lol. It's not a lot of CP but I didn't play any states this year so I'll take it. I'm at about the same place I was last season, but I only have played in like half as many tournaments. Hopefully I'll get to play a fuller season next year and see where I can end up but for now, it's time to focus on slaying Night March and doing well at nationals. Thanks for reading, see you later this season!

Back