Kabutops, Omastar, Old Dome Fossil from “Pokemon Card 151!”

See, if these were treated like trainer gallery holo rares, this set could have been the best thing ever! All that amazing artwork, restricted to a tiny box :(

Wow. The Kabutops, Old Dome Fossil, and Omastar line illustrations are giving me EX era, e-card era, and Wo-Chien alt-art vibes respectively. Beautiful artwork. This set is shaping up to be a very fun one, illustration- and gameplay-wise. It's this type of art that makes bulk arguably as fun to collect as Illustration Rares. Seriously, though, is anyone else getting gen 3 vibes from that Kabutops? Souichirou Gunjima's art is amazing, but this is the first time I've looked at an illustration from this artist and thought "are you sure this isn't supposed to be a Holon Phantoms holo rare?"
By the way, I thought that Giovanni's Charisma is a fun effect to have in the card pool. If the format ever slows down somewhat and the limelight shifts to stage 2 ex's, with giant two-prize blimps trading 2HKO's and slower Energy acceleration, this Supporter could create an interesting dynamic where you can rush to take an attack while setting your opponent back. This is if we have a SM-LOT format dynamic at any point. Jason Klaczynski described the XY block format having enough unique Supporter effects to create a skillful and unique gameplay dynamic if the games progressed beyond being determined by the opening coinflip, and if this set continues to produce fun, unique, situational, non-draw Supporters for even a couple of the remaining gym leaders, the potential for a unique format at some point down the line increases.

Cool cards...wish they were a bit better in terms of effect because Stage 2 fossils are a pain to get into play, but at least they'll be good meme decks.
See, if these were treated like trainer gallery holo rares, this set could have been the best thing ever! All that amazing artwork, restricted to a tiny box :(
Nah, they look fine. Arts that cover the whole card aren't the be-all end-all. There are plenty of times that I prefer the look of normal cards. For example, I like it being easier to see a card's type at a glance and the full card arts aren't good for readability, and they necessitate some of the art being covered with text. Normal arts are better for actually reading the cards and it's not rare at all for the art to be better.

Silly Question, but does Kabutop's Ability actually stack with Supereffective Glasses? Probably not.

Would be cool if it does though.. ?

Kabuto/Kabutops - Stage 2, even tho its a cool ability, getting this thing out as soon as you play a Fossil card and the usage of it would be challenging. 3/3
Omanyte/Omastar - nah. 2/2

I'm currently not playing so Idk about current standard format but... IF rapid strike keckleon meets this kabutops you are in front of a basic that deals 360 every turn no matter what. just ensure a tool to protect them a bit and thats it
I use that Kecleon in my GLC deck with supereffective glasses. You target weakness and do 270. And smeargle from EVS is a good backup since I already run 3 of every energy

huge fan of the Omanyte and Omastar artwork, will probably mess around with Omastar too since I'm a sucker for spread

As I'd understand it;

- From the Japanese perspective, you're correct, e-Card Kabuto/Omanyte/Aerodactyl could only evolve from Buried Fossil at time of printing. However, they were Stage 1 cards which stated they evolved from Mysterious Fossil, and once Mysterious Fossil did get printed in the ADV (and PCG) blocks all Kabuto/Omanyte/Aerodactyl had this either/or option.

I would read it as contradictory to how Buried Fossil was handled if a ruling was issued that Old Dome Fossil can't evolve into any card that is named Kabuto. However, even though the Japanese "unlimited format" technically should go as far back to e-Card 1, Japanese rulings aren't necessarily beholden to early sets, and the cut-off currently seems to be BW1 – they formally still support DP1-on on the site, but it doesn't feel like they actually do still do that. In other words, they could rule otherwise and it wouldn't actually be a "contradiction" to Buried Fossil, because they don't think that far back anymore.

I do think another card you'd want to look at and consider is Eevee GX and its Ascension DNA Ability, as that's another card with a mechanism that allows it to "evolve into" Stage 1 cards, though it's not quite the same scenario.

- From the international perspective, the idea of an English unlimited format is a mess, but the argument would be that e-Card Kabuto/Omanyte/Aerodactyl were always in a scenario where they could evolve from Buried Fossil or Mysterious Fossil, which happened again with the EX era, and I think the only reason the question of whether Buried Fossil can evolve into any of the Gen 4 Kabuto/etc. is that it was rotated out anyways, and unlimited rulings are a patchwork mess that only come up when people ask about it.

In other words, for both editions of the game, the precedent exists that when Pokémon cards can evolve into another Pokémon card, it can override the matter of what the card it is evolving into says it's evolving from – so Old Dome Fossil should be able to evolve into a BW Kabuto. However, none of the precedents seem binding in this scenario – even though I think Eevee GX should factor into the considerations here, at least somewhat – so the matter could be handled either way.

Ascension DNA isn't the same because it's an Ability. You could have theoretically have an Ability that let you evolve Pikachu into Charizard if the text said so, but if the Ability was shut off, you could not just put the Charizard onto that Pikachu because no evolutionary path between them exists. It seems straightforward enough to me.

Buried Fossil specifically states that you can put a Pokemon that evolves from Mysterious Fossil onto it. That text, "evolves from Mysterious Fossil," is what I would think is the important text to look at, so any post-Mysterious Fossil fossils would not be compatible with Buried Fossil.

I could see it argued both ways. I'll be interested in finding out what the actual answer is either way.

If this works like Buried Fossil...

* This can only evolve into the Kabuto from this set, as it needs to be a Pokémon that evolves specifically from Old Dome Fossil.
* However, you can use a rare candy to evolve this into most/any Kabutops (since I'm not sure if it would be legal to evolve e.g. Team Up Kabuto into Fates Collide Kabutops, since that's a stage 1 Pokémon evolving into another stage 1 Pokémon) since Kabutops can evolve from any Kabuto, including the one that evolves specifically from Old Dome Fossil.

Dang. Hoping the new fossils would add to the item pokemon who don't give up prizes. I can see why though, it would create some shenanigans in expanded if too many were made.

Back