Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

This card is alright, not decent but not horrible. TPCi is trying to make it obvious that Zoroark is a good partner for Steel. I just can't find the space and consistency for it.

So you rush in and retreat with this guy and hit for 110 damage. That's it. The problem is, you can't power this guy up in 1 turn unless you get lucky with Max Elixir and I doubt Steel decks will run enough copies of that and Energy to be consistent. So the fastest you can get him going is T2 or T3. For that amount of damage, there are better options such as Mega Manectric or even Yanmega.

Unown only works on the bench. But this card look amazing. I'm also glad it is a metal type. But *cough*cough* the artwork *cough*cough*IS AWESOME(had to say it twice for this awesomeness. Hopefully the megas artwork is even better than this. Also more playable.). A;so hyped for mega which should not be a high attack cost. Most non-mega pokemon have the same energy cost as the mega so mega scizor (if pattern continues) should have 2 energies, but it could be like mega latios needing 3 energies while the non ex needs 1 and 4.
References to Unown were made before the second attack's translation was fixed. It originally said to add damage if a Pokemon was played from your hand to your bench.

They are separate, TCG is mostly inspired by the videogame, but not by the anime... "Pokémon Center Lady" (not "Nurse Joy") is looking at us. ;)

The video games sometimes take inspiration from the animation (Pokémon Yellow, anyone?); yes, that which they inspired sometimes inspires them. Some of the decisions with the TCG seem at least potentially inspired by them as well. Pokémon is a multi-media franchise; past experience with both Pokémon and other such things has taught me that while some things have much more influence than others, it isn't always a one-way street.

Now, does that mean the animation affects the TCG? I'm not sure; a lot of art from (especially) the early games gets tweaked for the animation and which the TCG aligns with seems to vary. Of course some of it might be a lack of data: Copycat has had at least four major printings and the art is different between the oldest two and the two most recent. Said older versions have a green haired Trainer that looks very much like the animation's character "Duplica". Unfortunately I can only find her over world sprite for Gen 1 games, and while it is so simple that either the animation or the TCG may have interpreted it as Duplica's animation model, the idea that both did so separately is highly improbable. Now if her Trainer "battle" sprite looks exactly like that... well I'm wrong. My Google Fu failed me and I couldn't find said image. I think I found every other Trainer's look in the game except hers. @_@

Changing gyarados to dark would mean you wouldn't need water energies. BUT we have quagsire and friends, but they don't switch energy cost from fighting to water, it is always water

TCG adaptations of video game dual-Type Pokémon can use either, both or neither Energy-Type matching the TCG equivalent of their video game Types. I'm not even sure if recent cards have followed a hard and fast pattern that we ought to be using them for firm predictions. Educated guesses, certainly, but not really concrete points upon which an argument can rest. Also, it will be kind of funny if Gyarados ends up being a Colorless-Type. ;)

They made a scyther ex.

Which is not the same as Scyther EX (or as the official stuff seems to put them, Scyther-ex and Scyther-EX). No, I'm not sure why the hyphen gets added and I may be mistaken for Scyther-ex, but you'll see even in game text (like on Spirit Link) cards that the Mega Evolutions are "M ______-EX" with the hyphen before the "EX" even though the name text on the actual card has no hyphen. @_@

Anyway, we got a Scyther-ex and later a Rocket's Scyther-ex due to peculiarities in the game: cards that were originally Basics without Evolutions and/or homaging older versions of them, I believe.

Hopefully this card gets a break. It isn't that good right now, but with a break, it will do much better

Hopefully this card gets a break. It isn't that good right now, but with a break, it will do much better

What are you talking about? Since when did Pokemon EX with a mega evolution available and confirmed have a chance of getting a BREAK card >.>

Or are you just purposely confusing "break" as in a easier time and "BREAK" as an evolution?

You all are crazy. The artwork is very boring, imo. More 3d computer generated looking art... Hand drawn looks much better.

AAAAAAAWWW YEAH! I can see a lot of strategies with him, especially using Float Stone and/or Switch. The art, on the other hand, that's something else... I love Scizor (Hence my profile picture). What a cool card!

Scizor is my favorite Pokemon and I am thrilled with this artwork! Can't wait to get my hands on one of these (and can't wait to see the Full Art)

References to Unown were made before the second attack's translation was fixed. It originally said to add damage if a Pokemon was played from your hand to your bench.
I saw that it said update 1, but I didn't know the translation was wrong. I thought it was just the name. Now I feel dumb for reading the wrong thing.

I really love the artwork!! I had a feeling that it was gonna be a steel type, too. The attacks aren't anything great. I'm really hoping that the mega is playable.

120 nice but we have Jirachi

and Enhanced Hammer

and Xerosic

and Crushing Hammer

and Team Flare Grunt

and Paint Roller

and more than one stadium card.

So my initial impression is this card is pretty strong. So many cards use special energy and/or depend on stadiums. 120 is a two-shot on most things in the game and for just two metal it can be out early and hitting hard. Despite its lack of serious firepower it disrupts the opponent enough that I think it can survive for a while. Early still but it seems it has potential.

I think it depends on how badly you need to trash your opponents special energy. This could be useful going up against Strong Energy decks.
Or how badly you want to discard their Sky Field.

Back