News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

MystikX

Aspiring Trainer
...I made a deck based around Scizor-EX and his second attack, using FFB to make him 210 HP and do 120 damage. I'm making a deck based around Golisopod-GX, and ain't no one stopping me.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Ah, but you see, you wouldn't only be hitting for 120. Choice band to 150. 2 Lurantis promo on the bench = 190. Kukui = 210. Those are some pretty huge numbers that aren't that hard to put together...for one energy and the necessity of switching. That switch necessity isn't all that hard to hit even without Zoroark. Honestly, if anything I am more irritated that the second attack and the GX attack are so underwhelming. That said, there is a deck here.

Oh, and outside the box thinking. This could be used similar to have Tapu Bulu is currently used in these Vikavolt + Koko deck. I don't think it works, but it is at least interesting
You're right. I was thinking about pairing it with Bulu for big damage dumps and the obvious promo Lurantis, Zoroark, and Choice Band, maybe with a couple baby Golisopods for GX decks.
I think I underestimated this card, I just saw 120 damage and thought, "well thats not enough" without thinking about Zoroark and Lurantis. With Forest it would be insanely fast, you could probably donk some people lol. Definitely going to be fiddling with a list.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
This card does have a fair amount of potential to it, depending on what else Burning Shadows has to offer, and what cards are in the pool post-rotation. Float Stone would be a good way to do a one energy 120 damage per turn, as would Switch if you swap it for a Pokémon with a 0/1 energy retreat cost. If it wasn't for Devolution Spray preventing you from evolving the Pokémon again that turn, that'd make for a good strategy too.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Man, I've been slacking on getting to these leaks...
A lot of good things have already been pointed out!

The Wishwashi was something that I really wanted to mention, glad to see someone else thought of it~
Also saw someone mention Max Potion, another thing I had considered!

So, I'll just mention a few things I haven't seen touched on...
The GX attack is a pretty nice amount of damage; 150 for two attachments~
and while switching to the bench doesn't help with First Impression, it can slow your opponent's momentum by preventing a 2HKO~

I think this card will have a pretty good amount of survivability!
Both Acerola and Olympia will allow you to "heal" your Golisopod.
Acerola is really good here, because you only need 1 attachment to set-up AND it allows you to switch in a new GolisopodGX!

Another thing to consider here, is Multi-Switch.
Using Multi-Switch after the GX attack can help keep your momentum, allowing you to set up an Armor Press in one turn~
This is also a positive interaction with Max Potion, as you can move your DCE to the active before healing!

The retreat cost is more of a "balance" mechanic, and less of an actual problem.
Lysandre will be rotating, and you're gonna run a lot of "switch" cards anyways~

Overall... I think this is a great card!

TheMaskedMeowth

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah it seems like there's only one GX left in the sets to reveal. So there's Golisopod, Necrozma, Marshadow (presumably), and Gardevoir in SM3N, and so far Charizard, Ho-oh, and Noivern in SM3H. My bets are on the last one being Alolan Raichu.

MorningSTAR1337

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah it seems like there's only one GX left in the sets to reveal. So there's Golisopod, Necrozma, Marshadow (presumably), and Gardevoir in SM3N, and so far Charizard, Ho-oh, and Noivern in SM3H. My bets are on the last one being Alolan Raichu.

The Evidence for Marshadow is indisputable for now:

1. Marshadow has been officially revealed a few months back, at the same day as the movie trailer that well...revealed him.
  2. Marshadow also appears in the "Darkness that Consumes Light" pack art in Japan.
  3. By the time Burning Shadows is released, chances are that a Marshadow distribution or the movie in which he appears would had hit theaters at least in Japan.
  4. He is both Burning and a Shadow :p
  5. There has been precedent for Mythicals having cards released in the sets while they are being distributed. Arceus had an entire set in the DP/Pt era, Meloetta cards appear in Boundaries Crossed, Diancie cards in Phantom Forces (she is even feature in one of the pack arts), Hoopa was in Ancient Origins and Magearna and Volcaneon were both in Steam Siege. The latter two of which appeared as EXs

ZygardeGuy

Baba ba wawa ha ha ba ba
The only issue is that it misses key numbers. Also, it's a lot harder than you think to switch into a new Golisopod every turn.

My main concern is that, for standard at least, not only is getting out 3 stage ones pretty clunky, but Field Blower can discard the Float Stone on your Zoroark. Also, with one baby Lurantis and a Choice Band, you're only hitting for 170, so you'd need to get two Lurantis into play before you start hitting for OHKOs.

I think the best way to play this Golisopod is to play it on its own with heavy Float and Switch counts, along with Max Potions and Aether Paradises.
Aether Paradise only reduces damage dealt to basic [G] and [L] Pokemon.

George

Plays 4 Ultra Ball in Every Deck
I feel like there might be a Flareon GX coming on, my reasoning behind this is; if the two other Sun and Moon sets both have Eevee evolution GXs, they might be consistent with it, but maybe not, but they also did the same thing when BREAKPoint started, they released Espeon EX, and then all the others followed in Fates through Generations. So I feel that there might just be a Flareon GX in Burning Shadows... (it would be the BEST birthday present ever!)

I feel like there might be a Flareon GX coming on, my reasoning behind this is; if the two other Sun and Moon sets both have Eevee evolution GXs, they might be consistent with it, but maybe not, but they also did the same thing when BREAKPoint started, they released Espeon EX, and then all the others followed in Fates through Generations. So I feel that there might just be a Flareon GX in Burning Shadows... (it would be the BEST birthday present ever!)
Reply if you guys agree!

Last edited by a moderator:

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
In recent prints, ho-oh has had more special cards than regular cards in tcg, maybe a confirmation of it's legendariness. I just wanted to see a regular half decent playable Ho-oh card though.

Frisko

Master Fire Trainer
Ah, i do remember Bunnelby, i used that in one of my older decks, but it was primarily to disrupt my opponent until i got some of the heavy hitters set up on the bench.
You may be able to fake someone out with a Ninja Boy into Charizard GX for a win, being sneaky that way. hahaha

With the GX move you could potentially turn 2 have 3 Chandelure's on your bench or any stage 2 fire pokemon that you sycamore'd earlier. I was just looking through a couple sets and Chandelure is kind of a cool new card.

I'm really excited for this. Float Stone, Zoroark, Switch, and even the combination of this guys first move then GX move next turn is great. I love the GX move U-turn and Volt Switch are competitive for a reason in VG switch out moves are just great for utilizing different Pokemon you have set up, granted you can only use that specific move once. One thing I'm wondering if you have a Zoroark on bench with a Float Stone can you retreat that same turn then? I would guess you can since you hadn't used retreat yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

MorningSTAR1337

Aspiring Trainer

the Fates Collide thing might be a coincidence, as Flareon's, Sylveon's and Leafeon's presence in Generations was due to packs unrelated to the core set (Flareon and Sylveon were Pokekyun cards and Leafeon came from a deck that also included Meowstic EX in Japan), plus they released Sylveon GX without corresponding Leafeon, Flareon or Jolteon cards so...

Its possible, but with only one slot left in the pack, though it might eb overkill for SM4 to have half the GXs be eeveelutions. (also I thought Generations came after Fates)

On an unrelated note, but would it be more accurate to say that that the western packs are an amalgamation of 3 Japanese packs instead of 2?

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
MY GEODUDES
  • Golisopod-GX - I love it! Accessible to Giant Plants (until August), the first attack is accsible to Zoroark, and Sunny Day Lurantis, Choice Band, Kukui will do big numbers for 1 Energy. The 2nd was OK, good with Muscular Dumbbells, for bulkiness but the majority will favor to choice band for numbers! The GX is situational if you get almost KOed and throw a Max Potion next turn. 4-5 Geodudes.

Last edited: