News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

wonderful_whismur

The most wonderful whismur in the world
Hmm. I don't think it's bad at all. Just use it for the first move. One grass energy for 120 damage is incredible. Moving it into the active is completely in your control so it's not a difficult condition to meet.

xTITAN

Training Aspirer
Although you can use stand in zoroark or something to change the active each turn and keep using the 120 damage right?
You could, and I would probably at least try to pair those two together, but I doubt that it would be very viable. Zoroark does cover Golisopod's weakness of not being able to hit for key numbers, but the fact that Golisopod is practically useless until you have Zoroark out makes it a bit clunky.

not that bad if you find a way to constantly switch them
Even if you find a way to switch them out, it misses key numbers.

garchompcrescent

Part-Time Misplayer
Golisopod + zoroark/keldeo + baby (and maybe even a GX) lurantis? With choice band it has very good numbers. I actually think this is a 7-8/10 card.

xTITAN

Training Aspirer
Hmm. I don't think it's bad at all. Just use it for the first move. One grass energy for 120 damage is incredible. Moving it into the active is completely in your control so it's not a difficult condition to meet.
The only issue is that it misses key numbers. Also, it's a lot harder than you think to switch into a new Golisopod every turn.

Golisopod + zoroark/keldeo + baby (and maybe even a GX) lurantis? With choice band it has very good numbers. I actually think this is a 7-8/10 card.
My main concern is that, for standard at least, not only is getting out 3 stage ones pretty clunky, but Field Blower can discard the Float Stone on your Zoroark. Also, with one baby Lurantis and a Choice Band, you're only hitting for 170, so you'd need to get two Lurantis into play before you start hitting for OHKOs.

I think the best way to play this Golisopod is to play it on its own with heavy Float and Switch counts, along with Max Potions and Aether Paradises.

Last edited by a moderator:

wonderful_whismur

The most wonderful whismur in the world
The only issue is that it misses key numbers. Also, it's a lot harder than you think to switch into a new Golisopod every turn.

Hmm didn't notice the three retreat cost. If only it had one retreat cost, even manually retreating into another Golisopod could be incredibly worth it.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I guess you could say this card isn't giving the best first impression.

If you want me to be honest I think Golisopod could be kinda fun to use with stuff like Baby Lurantis and Choice Band...Who knows maybe I'll make a fun Golisopod deck.

Also...That Ho-Oh is mildly disappointing not necessarily for the art itself but for the background and the bordering. Blue borders haven't been fitting well for done Pokemon...The backgrounds are still iffy but the texturing can be pretty nice on them. I do hope Full Arts can get better over time because as if now they've gone into a bit of a rough spot...Maybe I just need to get used to it.(Like hyper rares. I'm still not necessarily big on those yet.)

Last edited:

Hornleach1

Aspiring Trainer
No question about it, this is a good card. The first attack with: switch, escape rope, float stone (whatever you want to use) is incredibly efficient. Add choice band and the promo lurantis and you can be hitting gx's for KO's for 1 energy. Then follow up with max potion and you can heal loosing only 1 energy and then repeat the next turn. The second attack is reasonable if used with the stadium that reduces damage done to grass types. The Gx attack is a little lacking but can still get KO's.

Gold Weedle

Aspiring Trainer
Seeing as prereleases and drafts are the only type of organized play I see, I'd give this a 10/10 if I pulled it.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Normal Golisopod from Guardians is better tbh. The first attack would be good with Zoroark to continuously switch but still, just 120 damage. It's an okay card. I give it 6/10. I do like the art though!

BKRapper

Aspiring Trainer
I will be making a deck out of this for sure. I can see the untapped potential when paired with muscle dumbells.

MquaZa

PB's D/P & G/S Player
I don't know if anyone mentioned it before.. but it could se some use, since there is Shrine of Memories avalible + Charmander from generations and his 20x the amount of damage flip attack for [R][C]+ Victini + Charizard GX best HP in the game
Expandey format you have blacksmith...

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I think this Golisopod is actually really good. The second attack is unimpressive but you have to consider the support this thing has, the promo Lurantis and baby golisopod work really well here, and with Zoroark/float stone, or possibly weavile sts/float stone if you want to be able to tech burning shadows weavile, you can get a switch every turn. With FOGP still in rotation you can attack on turn 1 for 120 if you go second if you get the right draws. Choice band and a couple Lurantises will take you to 190 which is a nice OHKO on the big GX basics, and bring your GX attack into OHKO range on most everything.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Am I the only one disappointed about the Sun and Moon full arts in this set? I mean honestly I think the ultra rare versions look better than the full arts do. The ultra rares almost remind me of the full arts we had in BW/XY era stuff whereas these new full arts just seem...I don't know, kind of bad.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Houndoom EX/Bunnelby was decent for a time but when Greninja BREAK came out it kinda killed that, that is also why I don't think Charizard GX would work out all that well. There was also a Wailord EX mill deck for a while.

Ah, i do remember Bunnelby, i used that in one of my older decks, but it was primarily to disrupt my opponent until i got some of the heavy hitters set up on the bench.

ZygardeGuy

Baba ba wawa ha ha ba ba
I donut understand why people think it is so bad. I think this card is great.
Happy National Dount day in the US!

taschen88

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, same here. It looks good, but not as wonderful as you would expect from a Ho-oh Full Art. The Pokemon itself should have covered a lot more of the card in my opinion, and the pose is just a little meh. They could have done a lot more with it.

Agree! I expected tinges of cyan/blue/purple in the background to make Ho-Oh pop out more out front. Well, let's see how to holo glistens when the card gets released. As an online-only player, I've noticed they're making holo cards more "in your face" holo, so I'm hoping they do that with this card as well. :)

Jonathan Jung

Meta is the Meta
1st turn with him out, use first impression, next turn GX, then first impression again

Also, a plus, you can use a DCE to fill the other attack costs