News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
MY EVALUATIONS
  • The box - Cool.
  • Lucario - 3 for 120, and acceld by Strong Energy is nice and standard but the immunity effect can be prevented. So, it's 2-3 Geodudes for me.
  • Porygon-Z - Meh! It can be good against Evolved GXs and Megas for a possible KO, but not all decks are evolved-based, unless we moved on to the that evo-based format. The atk is so much underpowered! Don't use that. So, it is 3 Geodudes.
  • Other Cards - I need a translation of Alolan Sandshrew.
  • Raichu - Where is my Alolan Raichu?! Remember, only 3 Alola Forms remaining not introduced in the TCG: This, Exeggutor, and Marowak

Last edited:

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
Oop. We're likely getting a Gardvoir GX now.

(I'm still the fan favorite tho - shouldn't be a competition at all <3)

Clamtrak

Aspiring Trainer
I think Porygon Z has potential.
Okay, you can't drop Porygom and then use a rare candy for an instant Porygon Z anymore, like back in the days (I feel old).
BUT there are enough supporters that shuffles hands back into the deck.
And keep in mind, Pokémon GX are evolutions too (some of them), so in a rotated format with less Pokémon EX and when the focus might be back on stage 1 & 2 Pokémon, this could work as a nice tech!
Wow, I never thought about that. That's a really good point. So maybe in standard, but not in expanded.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Wow, I never thought about that. That's a really good point. So maybe in standard, but not in expanded.

Yeah, and just think about the sweet, sweet wonderland image when you can evolve two Porygon at once! :D
When you hit this point, you may cry... In joy as the one playing and in disbelief when beeing the opponent.

Porygon Z was always ment to be a tech, not a play-around-card or built-a-deck-for-me.
I'm really excited to see where the cut will be this upcoming rotation and how severe it will be!
We really are in need of a EX free meta for the current printed cards to shine.

BrandonHappened

Ghosts and Fairies are kinda my jam
That Porygon Z is literally the worst thing I've ever read
I don't believe for one second that someone thought "ok, it'll be useful for one turn, then only be able to do 80 damage every two turns", I don't know, I just can't see it

ZygardeGuy

Baba ba wawa ha ha ba ba
I am sorry, but wasn't there going to be an alolan ninetales card with safeguard??
Saw it some and can't find it except for a korean one on ebay.
Help!

Clamtrak

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, and just think about the sweet, sweet wonderland image when you can evolve two Porygon at once! :D
When you hit this point, you may cry... In joy as the one playing and in disbelief when beeing the opponent.

Porygon Z was always ment to be a tech, not a play-around-card or built-a-deck-for-me.
I'm really excited to see where the cut will be this upcoming rotation and how severe it will be!
We really are in need of a EX free meta for the current printed cards to shine.
I'd have to guess the 2018 standard format would be BREAKPoint and Generations onward. But this Porygon-Z could throw a huge knot in a deck with those stage 1 and 2 GXs, because just deal damage equal to the prevolved stage, then play Porygon-Z. That gives you a free knock out, and removes a card for your opponent to play that GX onto.

RadleyMadish

You see this? It's Alolan Wooper, I just know it.
At first, I read the title as "Pokemon booster boxes now contain a SR Lucario and Porygon-Z". Lol nope.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
That Porygon Z is literally the worst thing I've ever read
I don't believe for one second that someone thought "ok, it'll be useful for one turn, then only be able to do 80 damage every two turns", I don't know, I just can't see it

There are enough cards that can bounce back cards to your hand.
For example you can use a devolution spray, super scoop up or any other card to return it and then replay it.

Porygon Z will NEVER be viable for its attack, not even once.
You combine it with spreed damage or card disruption, to get the most out of it.
Against megas you can even nab a turn, when really lucky.

I think you're just thinking way too narrow a use for cards.
Not directly aimed at you, but this kinda seems the problem with the ptcg (community) at the moment, the lack of new ideas or even trying to look for them.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
After reading the comments, I'm surprised a certain something was (mostly) overlooked...
GX evolutions grant MASSIVE hit point increases.

I'd never reccomend the Porygon as an attacker, but...
It's attack actually does enough damage to KO Decidueye-GX.

The ability makes all Decidueyes revert to Dartrix (80HP)
Then, you play Lele for a card shuffle supporter (either N, or Skyla into Red Card).
Then, knock out what used to be a Decidueye.

Though I feel like Espeon-EX is a... more streamlined option, the fact that this is an ability, means that you can immediately take advantage of the HP decrease.

Try reading it as:
When you play this card from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon during your turn, you may reduce the total HP of your opponent's active Pokemon, until their next turn.

Lurantis-GX | 60HP
Decidueye-GX | 80HP
Ninetales-GX | 60HP

Just to list a few~

Another thing to consider:
This is a very powerful effect against Mega Pokemon, if you use Field Blower to discard the links~
Now, they will have to search for another link, or lose tempo from evolving without one.

Clamtrak

Aspiring Trainer
There are enough cards that can bounce back cards to your hand.
For example you can use a devolution spray, super scoop up or any other card to return it and then replay it.

Porygon Z will NEVER be viable for its attack, not even once.
You combine it with spreed damage or card disruption, to get the most out of it.
Against megas you can even nab a turn, when really lucky.

I think you're just thinking way too narrow a use for cards.
Not directly aimed at you, but this kinda seems the problem with the ptcg (community) at the moment, the lack of new ideas or even trying to look for them.
That final thing you said about the community is the exact problem I have with it.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I think Espeon-EX is generally better than Porygon-Z as a devolution option. Porygon-Z requires at a minimum a 6 card investment to run reliably. For the extra cost, it gives you two things over Espeon

1. The ability to devolve then N (good, but if you're going for donks this doesn't matter too terribly much)
2. The ability to devolve then attack (situationally good)

Espeon, on the other hand, is far more efficient in terms of deck space requirement since everything it needs (C, switching cards) is stuff you should be running anyways. Espeon can also start devolving up to 2 turns earlier which usually doesn't matter, but it really messes up stage 2 decks, especially if they rely on rare candy.

If there's another Porygon/Porygon2/PorygonZ in Burning Shadows that provides more justification for running Porygon/2 then maybe that changes. Until then I think it's too deep of an investment for the effect. Maybe in a deck like Baby Koko/Baby Lele.

It does have some interesting tech applications in Unlimited combined with Porygon2 Great Encounters. One of the classics of unlimited is that Porygon2 with Porygon-Z HST since it lets you use 2 supporters in one turn and infinitely recycle supporters. Including this as a one of allows you to devolve then N then use whatever other supporter you get/want to use.

Last edited:

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
I think Espeon-EX is generally better than Porygon-Z as a devolution option. Porygon-Z requires at a minimum a 6 card investment to run reliably. For the extra cost, it gives you two things over Espeon

1. The ability to devolve then N (good, but if you're going for donks this doesn't matter too terribly much)
2. The ability to devolve then attack (situationally good)

Espeon, on the other hand, is far more efficient in terms of deck space requirement since everything it needs (C, switching cards) is stuff you should be running anyways. If there's another Porygon/Porygon2/PorygonZ in Burning Shadows that provides more justification for running Porygon/2 then maybe that changes.

It does have some interesting tech applications in Unlimited combined with Porygon2 Great Encounters. One of the classics of unlimited is that Porygon2 with Porygon-Z HST since it lets you use 2 supporters in one turn and infinitely recycle supporters. Including this as a one of allows you to devolve then N then use whatever other supporter you get/want to use.

Yeah, as I mentioned in my post, Espeon-EX is a lot more streamlined.
To the point where... I'd probably never run PorygonZ.

Though, hopefully we'll be getting a usable Porygon2!
Maybe one that helps with evolution, or has some sort of synergy with PorygonZ's ability~

With that being said... Porygon from Evolutions isn't the worst card, necessarily...

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Espeon EX is worse than Porygon Z on sooo many levels.

1. It's an ability, you can still attack to K.O. the active devolved Pokémon.
2. It isn't an easy target EX which is equal 2 prizes.
3. You can combine it with supporter and item cards.
4. Thank to beeing an ability you can reuse it when teamed up with devolution spray, SSU and many others.

I think those point are destroying any arguments for Espeon EX. ;)

Bonus: with a blower you can even counter Garbador! ;)

Last edited:

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Espeon EX is worse than Porygon Z on sooo many levels.

1. It's an ability, you can still attack to K.O. the active devolved Pokémon.
2. It isn't an easy target EX which is equal 2 prizes.
3. You can combine it with supporter and item cards.
4. Thank to beeing an ability you can reuse it when teamed up with devolution spray, SSU and many others.

I think those point are destroying any arguments for Espeon EX. ;)

Bonus: with a blower you can even counter Garbador! ;)

Actually... what I stated is true.
It's a more streamlined version.

These are both tech cards, and not something you should build a whole deck around.
With that being said, Espeon uses less space and is easier to set-up, thus it's a better option for the majority of decks looking for this tech.

1. I already mentioned that as being an advantage it had.
2. Porygon is an easier target, because you have to evolve it from your hand, meaning you will have a low HP Pokemon on your bench.
3. I mentioned this as well. Though, I'd also like to mention that this is unnecessary, as some strategies don't need to do this.
4. Thanks to Espeon's being an attack, you can re-use it whenever you want, without other items.
Further more, if you want to use Devo spray, you'd either have to wait a turn, or need another Porygon2 on your bench.
Super Scoop-Up is reliant on a coin flip, and will set you even further back than Devo spray.

I believe what I've stated in my original post to be perfectly accurate~

Bonus: You can actually uses Espeon's attack while Garbodor's in play.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
I see the problem with Espeon EX waisting an attack and the opponent just “reevolving“ the following turn.
And the set up for the damage is easily removed, by clever opponents.
Porygon Z can, in some rare accounts, deevolve twice in a turn.
I kinda see a big selling point in countering machoke, so you can land multiple hits in the same turn. ;)

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
Just give me regular holo rares. I'm disappointed that even in XY evolutions you get more EX cards than regular holos.

It used to be just a few secret rares per set but now even regular energy cards are given gold borders.