News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
All I want is colorless support. I just hope that the fire attacks aren't super dumb in power level to compensate for that. I like not having to deal with nuke level base attacks.
Well it sure as heck shows that I was wrong now, Kiawe shows us that Charizard-GX will have a heavy attack cost and the end turn effect shows that it will be nuke level. I think im already in love with my new deck Ho-oh GX/Charizard-GX and hopefully Chandelure gets a GX thats fire as well this set and I will freak. Fire is gonna be soooooo darn good this next set omgggg

asdjklghty

-------------
Looks Like Imma stock up on good Water decks. So far I've been straying away from them because of the unfortunate grass weakness. Why Lycanroc why you no good?

Post rotttion this is going to be one of the best formats in a while like HGSS-on time or end of B&W. Good thing I bought a reverse water spider. Time to buy one more.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Just noticed that it's also not limited to attaching to Fire Pokemon. What else might this be funny with?

The old Rayquaza-EX from Dragons Exalted comes to mind as well as the dragon type Mega Rayquaza. If you move first you can drop a casual 300 damage on turn 2. In terms of non-fire types I imagine most of the big beneficiaries will be dragon types that have fire in their energy cost, or pokemon that have enormous colorless costs like Dragonite SUM and Snorlax GX.

Sadly, you can't blacksmith to reattach discarded fire energy back to them which limits the shenanigans you can do with non-fire types.

WolfAllTheWay

Typhlosionwolf
Advanced Member
THIS COULD NOT MAKE ME HAPPIER! I'm going to have so much fun with this card. All my fire dreams can now come true! (except when somehow I get knocked out directly after using it...) Goodbye dreams...

This card looks great though. Can't wait to see what people come up with involving this card!

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
The old Rayquaza-EX from Dragons Exalted comes to mind as well as the dragon type Mega Rayquaza. If you move first you can drop a casual 300 damage on turn 2. In terms of non-fire types I imagine most of the big beneficiaries will be dragon types that have fire in their energy cost, or pokemon that have enormous colorless costs like Dragonite SUM and Snorlax GX.

Sadly, you can't blacksmith to reattach discarded fire energy back to them which limits the shenanigans you can do with non-fire types.
You can't blacksmith, but you can Turntonator them back on the next turn. It is a bit unwieldy and begging to get lawl'd by sylveon gx, but if the goal is to 1 shot Wailord a couple times, that's the deck for you LOL!

thflame

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think this is "great" for Volcanion EX. Nothing in that deck wants 4 energy(maybe Turtonator), and they already don't have a big issue with getting energy in play via Power Heater and Max Elixir.

Now, Ho-Oh EX on the other hand.... 4 for 180 doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

Get this card T1, and it is amazing. Get it on a turn that you wouldn't be able to attack on anyway and it isn't much worse.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
I'm now wondering, if Evolutions survives the rotation, this could probably lead to some broken combos with Charizard EX. Seriously, if you get Charizard Spirit Link, M Charizard EX and another fire energy in your opening hand with that, you can just Crimson Dive EVERYTHING.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I think people are going to be looking at a lot of old high cost fire types (hell, even standard charizard EVO doesn't look THAT bad with this), and as was mentioned Flareon-EX Turbo now looks truly terrifying instead of just a minor tech in some Volc decks.

A turn 1 attachment plus a turn 1 Kiawe plus a turn 2 attachment hits 170 damage on turn 2, choice band can take you to 200 against EX/GX. And actually you can hit more than that depending on how many elixirs you can land because Flareon can use flash fire to take energies from benched pokes. Theoretically you could have up to 2 flash fire uses on top of that for a total of 8 fire energy, which brings you to 210 base damage, 240 with choice band or 220 with FFB. With Tapu Lele, turn 1 Kiawe is going to be very easy to pull off, even easier in expanded with compressor.

I think a lot of naturally bulky cards are going to get steamrolled by all of the suddenly viable high cost, high damage fire type attackers and there will be more of a shift towards trying to make trades with lower HP cards... But Flareon has scaling damage so you don't need to invest that deeply if you don't need to hit those numbers unlike something like Megazard Y.

I also guess Lele will be around in literally every deck to punish people for investing too deeply with this kind of energy acceleration, but again, with Flareon you don't necessarily need to go balls to the wall with 5+ attachments on one card if there's no high HP threat to chunk through.

Last edited:

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
I'm now wondering, if Evolutions survives the rotation, this could probably lead to some broken combos with Charizard EX. Seriously, if you get Charizard Spirit Link, M Charizard EX and another fire energy in your opening hand with that, you can just Crimson Dive EVERYTHING.
You could also use Ho-oh's GX attack and skip all of that as well as add a few other big fire types to the mix. This might be really crazy when it comes to what it can do

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
You could also use Ho-oh's GX attack and skip all of that as well as add a few other big fire types to the mix. This might be really crazy when it comes to what it can do

Indeed, all we can do for now is wait and see what will unfold.

Fayld

Advanced Member
Outside the box thinking. Mega Ray might actually like this on turn 1. It would definitely be a completely different build compared to current mega ray decks.

9Blades

Gym Leader of Water Types
This'll be good for Charizard GX's (Or the Evolutions Charizard EX as everyone has said) inevitable high attack cost. Really interested to see how this'll do alongside Ho-oh GX as well. I feel like that last bit of "your turn ends" was added in last minute when they realized how broken it would be without it.

TotoBoss

Kappa
Heres to hoping this works for rainbow energy as well, if not all fire decks become new meta.
Actually iirc, rainbow energy counts as colorless unless its attached to anything, therefor whenever its in the deck it counts as colorless and not as "fire". So nooe you cant search out rainbow energys with kiawe.

Fayld

Advanced Member
Actually, I just thought of something nasty. What about the other mega ray? 300 on turn 2 without the draw backs of the other mega ray. That sounds stupidly overpowered.