News Japan's SM3+ Set: 'Shining Legends!'

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
Are you all stupid? The psychic type isn't dead. The only deck that relies on psychic attackers is espeon garb which would roll this card so everyone can stop their stupid pointless posts about how the psychic type is dead

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
Are you all stupid? The psychic type isn't dead. The only deck that relies on psychic attackers is espeon garb which would roll this card so everyone can stop their stupid pointless posts about how the psychic type is dead

That's just ridiculous. First off, Drampa / Garbodor is a thing as well. Tauros / Garbodor is a thing as well (though less of a thing). That's 3 decks including Espeon / Garbodor which hit Psychic types for weakness. I could maybe get behind your statement if Espeon / Garbodor and Drampa / Garbodor were used as frequently as Tauros / Garbodor...you know, you might run into one at a tournament if you are extremely unlucky. But they aren't. They are 2 of the top 5 decks in the format and are literally EVERYWHERE. There is a reason M Mewtwo is dead as a competitive deck right now when it absolutely dominates every other deck that isn't running Garbodor. It is because these two decks are so prominent that you literally won't make day two at any major tournament running it. And this is from a person who thought M Mewtwo was going to be huge with Garbodor. It just doesn't stack up. So far, Pokemon hasn't released a single psychic weak pokemon that changes the math when facing a 1 energy 1 prize attacker that lights you up for as little as 6 items in your discard pile and a choice band attached. 6. SIX. That is literally NOTHING in your discard pile. That's 2 Ultra Balls, 1 VS Seeker, 1 Field Blower, and 2 tools after they Field Blower you. Look at that for a second. Just look at it. You tell me what psychic weak deck is out there that isn't throwing at least 6 items in that discard pile within the first 3 turns of the game and I will show you a psychic weak deck that is going nowhere fast against anything good.

Until Garbodor rotates, they ban it, or put out an errata making it so Trashalanche doesn't hit for weakness, psychic weak decks not running Garbodor are Garbodor victims. Period. End of story.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Love that mewtwo (in 3 sets since xy) and charizard (4 sets since xy) get all the complaints for overprinting, yet nobody seems sick of the staryu or clefairy lines (5 prints since xy)
Because Charizard and Mewtwo take our ultra Rare slots, and the clefairy/ Staryu lines are commons and uncommons

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Well they are kind of Pokémon's main, most popular, characters, Pikachu, of course, gets lots of prints as well. They are trying to appeal to a more wider range of fans, in these sets. By doing this it means that they can't assuming that people buying the product are "huge fans" who like the more diverse/less popular Pokémon (such as Darmanitan.) A more casual fan would prefer to see the Pokémon they already know, and Charizard, Mewtwo, Gardevoir, and Darkrai just happen to be some of the more popular Pokémon all around.

I'm more of a casual Pokémon fan, and although I wouldn't mind seeing a Pokémon like Darmanitan get the GX treatment, I'd really prefer to see the Pokémon that I really like get the GX treatment, and I think that's what Pokémon is going for in the card game. To appeal to casual fans as well as bigger ones.

Well of course, Theyre doing what sells and nobody can stop that whether they like it or not. But like you said with appealing to both kinds of fans, that would be a good way to go for them. I do think they've been getting a bit more varied with the sun and moon era so if it gets to be a good balance of appeal then I think it'll be fine. I mean some people really do love Charizard and the others so why stop their enjoyment?

That's only from a collecting standpoint though, of course if a card is fun to play then I'll like that card. For instance, Bulu isnt my favorite Pokemon ever but I adore his card for how much fun Ive had playing it. Same could go for any Pokemon, so I guess there's two ways of looking at it.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I can't help but wish we had gotten Mewtwo BREAK.

What could make me want an overly represented Pokémon released as a gimmick I knew they'd drop almost immediately?

*ahem*

On a more serious note

Mewtwo-GX – Psychic – HP190
Basic Pokemon

[P] Full Burst: 30x damage. This attack does 30 damage times the amount of Energy attached to this Pokemon.

[P][C] Super Absorption: 60 damage. Heal 30 damage from this Pokemon.

[P][P][P] Psycho Break GX: 200 damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by any effects on your opponent’s Active Pokemon. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Typing seems more important for Expanded than Standard (at least at the moment), but being a Basic Pokémon-GX with 190 HP seems legit. Unless I'm using that bit of slang wrong; I meant it seems like a sound basis. Bottom stats are what you'd expect. This isn't splashable like the original Mewtwo-EX, but in a Psychic Type deck, it lets you power through blockers. Only concern would be those that actually work by placing effects on your attacker or something with 190+ HP and Resistance (as Resistance isn't an "effect" in game mechanic terms).

Full Burst isn't great, but it gives you something fast that scales; if a deck can load Mewtwo-GX with Energy, it won't be an efficient heavy hitter, but it can fulfill the role. In Expanded, Dimension Valley only helps Super Absorption, but 60-for-one-plus-heal-30 has potential, at the very least. After all, you could use Choice Band, Muscle Band, or Fighting Fury Belt to augment it.

Last edited:

The Cat Hatter

Aspiring Trainer
images
They said it will be like generations. God dammit. Just hoping that the FA's will have texture. Got my fingers crossed

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
If it weren't for Garb, this would be a good card. Maybe not great but definitely good. You just can't get by the weakness to Garb though, and that makes virtually all Psychic types (except for Garb) unplayable at this point.

You can literally put every Psychic Pokemon next to Garb, and every comparison ends the same way: "Not as good as Garb."

I won't say they aren't as good a Garb since you can play around Garb. For example, in order for garb to kill a Psychic weak Pokemon, there needs to be at least five items in your opponent's discard pile or three and a Choice Band (in most cases). Mewtwo-GX needs only two Energy and a Choice Band and no extra clauses. Garbodor also has 120 HP which isn't that high.

Choice band (anything that beats my cool kid deck needs to get banned because it rustle my jimmies)

Choice Band is a broken card, mostly because it adds the damage before Weakness and Resistance. It makes the time-to-kill way to low.

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
I can't help but wish we had gotten Mewtwo BREAK.

What could make me want an overly represented Pokémon released as a gimmick I knew they'd drop almost immediately?

*ahem*

On a more serious note

Typing seems more important for Expanded than Standard (at least at the moment), but being a Basic Pokémon-GX with 190 HP seems legit. Unless I'm using that bit of slang wrong; I meant it seems like a sound basis. Bottom stats are what you'd expect. This isn't splashable like the original Mewtwo-EX, but in a Psychic Type deck, it lets you power through blockers. Only concern would be those that actually work by placing effects on your attacker or something with 190+ HP and Resistance (as Resistance isn't an "effect" in game mechanic terms).

Full Burst isn't great, but it gives you something fast that scales; if a deck can load Mewtwo-GX with Energy, it won't be an efficient heavy hitter, but it can fulfill the role. In Expanded, Dimension Valley only helps Super Absorption, but 60-for-one-plus-heal-30 has potential, at the very least. After all, you could use Choice Band, Muscle Band, or Fighting Fury Belt to augment it.

Don't forget Psychic Mirage Gardevoir in Expanded as well. Two attachments = 120 damage using the first attack on a Pokemon that is 20 HP heftier than its EX counterparts and also having an effective "nuke" at the bottom.

It is still too slow for Expanded though, so it ultimately just doesn't matter. I guess you could try something clever like Archie's Blastoise to Mewtwo GX to stack as many water energies onto it as possible as early as possible since the card isn't limited to just psychic energies, but even that is just setting yourself up for getting stomped by Yveltal EX. It doesn't heal as efficiently as Mewtwo EX, doesn't act as an effective splash like the original Mewtwo EX, and will still get absolutely obliterated by Night March and Trashalanche decks in Expanded though and that makes me think this card won't get played in either format in any sort of competitive environment.

I know a lot of cards are DOA (like Wishiwashi GX) and are generally just collector's items, but it seems like they were actually trying to make this good and unfortunately, there is absolutely no where this can be played without it being a massive 2 prize liability against a large portion of the meta. I mean, I guess this is just another example of a card that could theoretically be played with Kiawe T1 to set up a massive nuke (picture 1 attachment for the psychic energy requirement, then 4 for Kiawe, then another energy T2 = 180 damage without a choice band or 200 if you happened to attach a DCE either of those turns), but even that seems super iffy when there are other cards that will nuke better without the psychic weakness. It also suffers from "now what" once someone inevitably knocks out the first one. You certainly aren't going to have a second "nuke" set up without the use of a good number of items or something like Metagross GX to set it up.

Maybe that's the way this gets played: alternate attacker for Metagross decks to combat fire decks. That's literally the only way I can see it working though :(

Dunno, this feels like a card that goes into an all or nothing deck similar to Typhlosion. You either win huge or you lose. There is no tight game.

Artifactor

Poet lost in static.
Aside from the fact you can splash it into a garbodor deck for early game damage you can also combine it with shining mew in the same set for a turn 2 150 damage, which may be a viable solution for a format that is looking to be a stage one dominated format or a slower paced format, in some ways it's easier to use than m Mewtwo as you won't need specific items or tools and it can also be equipped with fighting fury belt as well.

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
Well this artwork is really ugly tbh
Yeah something's really off with the dimensions of the art:
Mewtwo's torso is stretched and the chest is much smaller then normal and with that front and center,just comparing it to the standard art shows how much it's off the typical scale of Mewtwo.

You're not alone on this I also am not digging this art

Attachments

• 600px-150Mewtwo.png
    600px-150Mewtwo.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 3