Japanese 'Sun' and 'Moon' Expansions and Decks in December!

New card format, just like what we saw on Sol GX on worlds? I'm definitely loving it. I hope EXs and Megas still exist because there are some Megas like Abomasnow that hasn't featured in the TCG yet.

New card format, just like what we saw on Sol GX on worlds? I'm definitely loving it. I hope EXs and Megas still exist because there are some Megas like Abomasnow that hasn't featured in the TCG yet.
Somehow, unless the English cards keep the same blanks as the XY cards, The EXs and Mega EXs will more or less be scrapped. Though I do hope they keep the Dual-type cards going.

This is amazing! as soon as it comes out in Canada, I will buy the Popplio and Litten decks. As for Rowlet, meh. never liked Rowlet much anyway. But that "premium trainer box" looks cool. GX counter... hmmm... not sure about that, maybe it is to show that you have used a GX move? I personally hope that mega evolutions will stick around, but they probably wont.

Ah, what a wonderful time for me to be getting into competitive pokemon TCG and VGC! I'll be able to jump into competitive battles in SM at the same rate as everyone else without being as far behind, and now it'll be the same with the TCG around my birthday! I look forward to perhaps playing against you guys!

On a side note, GX makes me think of Yu-Gi-Oh GX and that Solgaleo image on the box... Metal Garurumon is all I'm seeing. Lol

The larger boxes are actually something of a disappointment to me, honestly. More packs per box means the boxes are more expensive... and now they're so expensive that even a single box is above the customs limit here, which would make it significantly more expensive for me to continue buying boxes for each set.

I was already debating whether I should keep going with the TCG for Sun/Moon since I'm not too keen on the GX cards either, so maybe this is a sign. I'll just put the money into more PokéPlush instead.

The larger boxes are actually something of a disappointment to me, honestly. More packs per box means the boxes are more expensive... and now they're so expensive that even a single box is above the customs limit here, which would make it significantly more expensive for me to continue buying boxes for each set.

I was already debating whether I should keep going with the TCG for Sun/Moon since I'm not too keen on the GX cards either, so maybe this is a sign. I'll just put the money into more PokéPlush instead.
I loved to buy and open boxes too, but now I'll only buy single cards for my decks and that's it.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be collecting through the Sun and Moon TCG as much.

For one, I'm not a big fan of the template. To me, the one they settled on in BW was perfect and I said to myself, "this is what they need to settle on" and for a while, they did. They kept the template for the XY sets too. And I was happy. As a result, Roaring Skies and on I collected like none other and they are likely my favorite sets ever printed in the TCG, collecting wise, simply because of all the beautiful full arts and secret rares. Now that that format is gone, EXs will likely disappear with the format, and that's the main reason I started collecting again. Now, that format is likely done, so are EXs and BREAK cards.

Secondly, I despise what's replacing them. GX cards. The template they used on it looked hideous, and it's most likely gonna be the template we see on most of our cards. If I luck out they keep EXs with the same template, then I'll keep collecting EX cards, and hope Alolan Ninetales gets one (hey, I lucked out with Glaceon getting one. Can't Alolan Ninetales? ;))

But I do look forward to seeing the official decision for the template on normal cards besides GX cards. I love the BW-XY template and there's really no reason to get rid of it. It's fine as is.

Last edited:
Oh my. I may have to sit this round out... because, well... my wallet sat me down for an intervention last night XD

Whooo! Yeah, Japan! Get your game on with Pokemon GX in December! ;) :p ;)

As far as collecting goes, it's not looking good at all; bigger, more expensive booster boxes (why?) and way too fancy looking templates. GX sounds like something coming from a cheap science fiction movie..

This, along with nostalgia, is why I am looking forward to Evolutions. The choises they made for the set may be weird here and there, but at least the cards look really good, and it may be the last set that does.

It'll be interesting to see if these Premium Trainer Boxes come to the English sets or not.

As for the templates - while I actually like the GX template & look (even if I hate how overpowered they seem like they'll be, one-time-use or not, continuing to make Big Basics overpowered compared to evolutions), I don't like the new standard card template. I really like the BW/XY one, as it's both simple and stylish, but this just look too simple with no style at all. Not a fan. :/

I am looking forward to the Sun & Moon cards, at least, outside of the GX.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be collecting through the Sun and Moon TCG as much.

For one, I'm not a big fan of the template. To me, the one they settled on in BW was perfect and I said to myself, "this is what they need to settle on" and for a while, they did. They kept the template for the XY sets too. And I was happy. As a result, Roaring Skies and on I collected like none other and they are likely my favorite sets ever printed in the TCG, collecting wise, simply because of all the beautiful full arts and secret rares. Now that that format is gone, EXs will likely disappear with the format, and that's the main reason I started collecting again. Now, that format is likely done, so are EXs and BREAK cards.

Secondly, I despise what's replacing them. GX cards. The template they used on it looked hideous, and it's most likely gonna be the template we see on most of our cards. If I luck out they keep EXs with the same template, then I'll keep collecting EX cards, and hope Alolan Ninetales gets one (hey, I lucked out with Glaceon getting one. Can't Alolan Ninetales? ;))

But I do look forward to seeing the official decision for the template on normal cards besides GX cards. I love the BW-XY template and there's really no reason to get rid of it. It's fine as is.
You're not the only one who liked BW-XY templates. I'm worried too, about the lack of EXs, BREAKs, and Megas. I mainly collect Pokemon cards for ultra rares like those, so...

As far as collecting goes, it's not looking good at all; bigger, more expensive booster boxes (why?) and way too fancy looking templates. GX sounds like something coming from a cheap science fiction movie..

This, along with nostalgia, is why I am looking forward to Evolutions. The choises they made for the set may be weird here and there, but at least the cards look really good, and it may be the last set that does.
Also the conveptpacks, why give a holo energy per pack? Yuck. 5 cards but one is energy! For a whoppING 4000 yen a box. And there are 50 different cards but you only get 80+20 energy in a box?
I'm a sucker for cps, bUT I'll wait for the set list before I pay my preorder.

I too started collecting the cards because of the textured full art exs.

To me these full art non textured gxs just look boring. And i know these are promos but I'm sure the set ones will be the same.

Can you imagine a full art textured Snorlax Ex? What could've been.

i am not going to flame against the gx cards because i like the new card look! I cant wait for the collection box for popplio!

Back