Japan Rotating All "A" Block Cards from Standard!

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
A stupid rule that only makes basic decks and Dedenne-Gx stronger. Evolution decks at least had a chance to setup if you got turn 1. Now you need to go turn 2 to setup and then you cant even properly attack lol.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Finally a Japan which is similar to ours. So we don't need to worry on the Winning Deck List videos including rotated cards.

JL_muserwolves

Mercy!
I would like to register my displeasure that a *very* important first turn rule change, which I'm sure will be coming to our shores with the advent of Gen 8, is buried as the last line in this article and not mentioned in the title, with no source image of the change's announcement. That's almost bigger news to me than the rotation we all figured was coming at some point.

Interesting that they waited this long to rotate but I guess they wanted to do it alongside the rule change. RIP Lillie in Japan, though.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
I would've preferred if they had just continued printing the "if you go second and it's your first turn" kind of cards. That could've been the gimmick of Galarian forms, like how most Alolan forms have 0 energy attacks and every Ultra Beast has a prize gimmick, as well as make it a more common bonus effect on Trainer cards.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
A stupid rule that only makes basic decks and Dedenne-Gx stronger. Evolution decks at least had a chance to setup if you got turn 1. Now you need to go turn 2 to setup and then you cant even properly attack lol.
I dunno about that, now that welder engines can’t hit absurd damage turn two, stage 1s now have a shot if they go turn 2

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Interesting that they waited this long to rotate but I guess they wanted to do it alongside the rule change. RIP Lillie in Japan, though.

Well, Lillie will be rotating out of Japanese Standard in November, presumably at or around the time this new rule change is put into effect, so they probably won’t be too torn up by it

Scoop

Literally a sheep
That rule change is... I've got mixed feelings on it. I fear how it's gonna be for Archie, but I think being able to get the Mewtwo/Mew-Kingdra GX combo out in turn 1 might be enough to wait until the next turn. Or using Karplord to stall it out and tank some damage before you can whip out Blastoise.

Just please don't neuter the ONE deck I enjoy, Pokemon. Please?

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
If they do this, they better give us some "bench this and draw cards" pokemon like dede or shaymin.
This is ridiculous.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Hoooooooooo boy!

That rule change is going to make Expanded weird!

Let Loose Marshadow just became a staple in every deck in case you get stuck going first (to hopefully kneecap an opponent going second so you can get set up and going on your T2).

JL_muserwolves

Mercy!
Well, Lillie will be rotating out of Japanese Standard in November, presumably at or around the time this new rule change is put into effect, so they probably won’t be too torn up by it
That's what I was referring to. That and Rare Candy (to a certain extent) are two big pieces we will still have that they won't.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
This change really requires a new thread, it's insanely important and insanely ridiculous.

Dedenne still exists. This change will just skyrocket the prices of rare Pokemon (because, obviously, a staple effect HAS to be on a rare) that can save your brick hand on turn one.
I understand that this change wasn't simple. Judge is a good card and you don't want to have a Standard without a similar effect. If you put "You can't use this card on first turn" on Judge, then you have to make a new card and rotate Judge out. But I'd take that over hundreds of loses to brick hands on turn one.

OnGaard

Aspiring Trainer
Every evolution deck will now need to turn 1 (going second) Red & Blue for Evo.

I don't think this rule change breaks the game, but it's definitely a major shift. There will now be a bunch of decks that will shift to always wanting to go second. And this severely hurts Malamar.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
This new rule is basically forcing you to play big basic decks. Hence the new V cards coming out that will be expensive. Gee what a coincidence.