Contest January 2024 CaC: Level Ball (Image Results Up!)

i'm gonna call it - i'm not going to be able to finish this image entry in time for CaC. sorry for not managing my time better! i DO have a text entry, at least?

Manaphy - W - 90HP
Basic -
Amazing Rare
Spr_4p_490.png

Ability: Ocean's Blessing
When you play a Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may attach an Energy card from your hand to that Pokémon. You can't apply more than 1 Ocean's Blessing Ability at a time.

[W][P][G] Amazing Gift
Search your deck for up to 5 cards and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]
Born on a cold seafloor, it will swim great distances to return to its birthplace.

That artwork is heartbreaking! Why is Porygon2 in tears? It doesn't look like it wants to go to space! Who thought it was okay to break its little heart?

I put all the blame on Ignis, I didnt even ask for it he just made it as an extra artwork during a secret santa.

As for the Porygon2, it might be sad to leave but im sure that once its actually on the planet its supposed to explore, its gonna have a blast :)

/In4IMG
Managed to make this in the last hour and a half
CaC_Jan2024.png
Ninjask · Legends Awakened (LA) #67 - wording for a Power checking bench space and sentence structure. If condition is met and if bench is not full, you may play (Pokémon) to bench
Empoleon FB · Supreme Victors (SV) #27 - "If you played (Trainer) card"
Lickilicky · Secret Wonders (SW) #12 - "If you choose"

Balancing notes - This card is supposed to be balanced around late DPPt to early HGSS. The power having both a conditional trigger and a hard once per turn limit is to both reduce the amount of time a player could take on a single turn (think of how long a player's turn lasted when Shaymin EX was the main draw support instead of Crobat V), and to put a soft limit on the consistency of a deck built around Shaymin. Currently Grateful turns your single copy of Level Ball into 2 additional Level Balls at the cost of a bench space for Shaymin. This gives you a slightly easier time building up your evolution lines by giving you a consistent way to get the basics out and ready to evolve next turn. Petal Storm is a pretty standard Do the Wave type attack that easily synergies with Grateful Bloom, if a player if careful enough they could easily have 6 G Pokémon in play in 2 turns and do 60 damage provided they can get the energy cost covered.

I wouldn't be too worried about Misfortune Dance. The only playable cards it turns off in the 2006, 2007, and 2008 formats are Pokéball, Energy Removal 2, Pokémon Reversal, Dual Ball, Life Herb, Super Scoop Up, Energy Charge (Maybe? I don't know if it was played in the EX era), and Time-Space Distortion. That's eight cards, and none of them are absolutely essential. Pokéball and Master Ball compete for space in turn-2 decks (read this article for information on which is stronger in a given deck: https://erikreeds.wordpress.com/2023/09/16/master-ball-vs-poke-ball-in-rs-pk/), but the difference is small enough those decks won't suffer from using Master Ball instead. Dual Ball was primarily useful in big basic decks like turn-2 Zapdos or RayLer (the latter of which was only playable in EX Block, an official format in Japan that used all third generation sets). Shutting off Time-Space Distortion would be painful, except that you're not being aggressive if you attack with Comfey. The other cards are not essential for setting up, and were strong and disruptive when successful, so having some counterplay to them isn't horrible; in fact, I would consider removing the coin flip. If you are fielding a 50 HP basic and attaching an Energy to it to stop your opponent from using a Super Scoop Up to pick up their 110 HP Rayquaza ex delta that will Knock it Out on your opponent's next turn, you do not want to flip tails. You are putting too much on the line.

I am more worried about the Poké-Power not being on a coin flip. Jason Klaczynski's blog features RayLer, the BDIF in the EX Block Format, an offensive control deck that relies on three of the strongest basics in the format, and what puts Minun up their with a 110 HP basic and the infamous Pushaway abuser is its ability to retrieve Pow! Hand Extension with Sniff Out. This deck can easily shift gears between stripping away your opponent's hand, trapping a Pokémon in the active, and raining down destruction on your opponent's bench, due in no small part to Sniff Out. Then Erik Reeds build Ratlock, which uses Raticate from FireRed & LeafGreen to create an even more oppressive Pow lock deck that doesn't even need to worry about status conditions disrupting it. And before you think the Worlds formats are safe, Jay Hornung adapted RatLock to the 2005 Worlds format (https://jklaczpokemon.com/ex-decks/#rayler, https://erikreeds.wordpress.com/2022/03/19/ratlock-rs-pk/,
). With so many decks being built around looping Pow! Hand Extension with attacks, I am terrified by the thought of how much worse this could get if you could do it on an ability. Maybe putting the Poké-Power on a coin flip would work, especially since you couldn't use a second Comfey to try again.

Given how severe Comfey plus Pow! Hand Extension could become, I would suggest editing this card and incurring the two point penalty. You would probably lose more than 2 playability/believability points if you did not edit it.
Thank you for the links I'll use them to better my knowledge on the format and Trainer cards in general.
You are probably 100% right on this and even on the fact that editing it would be the best choice. (Not that I can really form a valid opinion even after reading the articles. I know next to nothing about the rest of the tcg.)
I won't edit it thou since I don't like editing an entry once submitted.
Again, thank you for the links, I really feel like I've learned sth and gained a new resource for balancing cards around similar effects that have already been exploited in a deck. I will use this site and articles to avoid making such mistakes in the future.

Thank you for the links I'll use them to better my knowledge on the format and Trainer cards in general.
You are probably 100% right on this and even on the fact that editing it would be the best choice. (Not that I can really form a valid opinion even after reading the articles. I know next to nothing about the rest of the tcg.)
I won't edit it thou since I don't like editing an entry once submitted.
Again, thank you for the links, I really feel like I've learned sth and gained a new resource for balancing cards around similar effects that have already been exploited in a deck. I will use this site and articles to avoid making such mistakes in the future.
Thanks for replying. Glad I could help you in some way, and I hope it will be useful going forward.

13_whimsicott.png

/In4IMG
Managed to make this in the last hour and a half
CaC_Jan2024.png
Ninjask · Legends Awakened (LA) #67 - wording for a Power checking bench space and sentence structure. If condition is met and if bench is not full, you may play (Pokémon) to bench
Empoleon FB · Supreme Victors (SV) #27 - "If you played (Trainer) card"
Lickilicky · Secret Wonders (SW) #12 - "If you choose"

Balancing notes - This card is supposed to be balanced around late DPPt to early HGSS. The power having both a conditional trigger and a hard once per turn limit is to both reduce the amount of time a player could take on a single turn (think of how long a player's turn lasted when Shaymin EX was the main draw support instead of Crobat V), and to put a soft limit on the consistency of a deck built around Shaymin. Currently Grateful turns your single copy of Level Ball into 2 additional Level Balls at the cost of a bench space for Shaymin. This gives you a slightly easier time building up your evolution lines by giving you a consistent way to get the basics out and ready to evolve next turn. Petal Storm is a pretty standard Do the Wave type attack that easily synergies with Grateful Bloom, if a player if careful enough they could easily have 6 G Pokémon in play in 2 turns and do 60 damage provided they can get the energy cost covered.
Aaaaand he's back.
Just in time for me to go off the grid again (rainwater and tax evasions and all).

i did it! hooray! sorry it took so long!
decided to just. start from scratch and make something really simple, since the card i was working on would likely need a lot more time and effort to fix, and i'm already technically past the deadline.

here's my image entry and some quick thoughts!
joltik.png
hoo boy, this certainly is a card, isn't it? not gonna talk about the process as much as i normally try to do because uh. it wasn't really that interesting this time around? if you couldn't tell, this card is meant to work as support for castforms! the archetype is really neat, but from what i've played with it it seems like setup is just so slow that the meager attacks don't make up for the turns you spent discarding that many stadiums. this should expedite that process, so the high damage numbers matter because you can use them before your opponent sets up! the attack is meant as a failsafe just in case one of your joltik ends up being nestballed or in starting setup or you need to take back a castform and heal it. i know it's probably not that useful with castforms, since the whole point of the deck is using no energy, but maybe this'd shake up the structure enough for it to be an option.

I know I’m late so can the community give me some advice on my card.

Victini 60hp
(C) Victory Swap
Discard your hand. Then take your prize cards and replace them with the top 6 cards of your deck.

I thought this could be cool but I am curious what u guys think?

I know I’m late so can the community give me some advice on my card.

Victini 60hp
(C) Victory Swap
Discard your hand. Then take your prize cards and replace them with the top 6 cards of your deck.

I thought this could be cool but I am curious what u guys think?
You should specify how many. Like, "Once during your turn, you may discard your hand. If you do, you may take any amount of prize cards, and put them into your hand. Then, for each prize card you took in this way, take the top card of your deck, and put it in your prize cards."

Image-Based Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

Well, two months in, happy New Year, everybody! I know a lot of you felt the time crunch on this round, and I figure that’s probably for a whole variety of reasons. The beginning of the year can be a chaotic time. But you all brought fantastic ideas to the table, even the cards that weren’t started till the last few days of January, and that’s what I love to see. I’ll only point out that having the time to revise your card, to go over it a few times yourself, show it to other people, and ruminate in case a better idea comes to you, can be the difference between a good score and a great score in this contest. In addition to the usual things we call you guys on, like accidental wording and font slips, another thing that’s helped by having this revision time is your ability to take an idea and develop it to the furthest extent possible. That can win you the last few points in Creativity, opening up design, synergy, and gameplay questions you hadn’t even been thinking about to begin with.

I decided this month I’m not going to call out incorrect apostrophes/quotation marks (i.e. curly quotes vs. straight quotes) anymore, unless it’s the one mistake holding you back from a perfect score. I already don’t dock points for them anyway, it’s hardly the biggest deal, and the error is too common for me to point it out every time. But it is something to be aware of, since the Pokémon TCG does have a preference in the modern era, and it’s worth striving for accuracy where possible.

You guys did great this month! Limited to 90 HP or less, I enjoyed seeing your take on the little guys. See you in a few hours for the next round!

~~Jabberwock

shedinjalvx-png.18619

I like the effects a lot. First of all, LV.X with both a Power and a Body, yes please, sign me up. The Power plays very well into the Body: Wonder Spirit would be much too niche to ever be viable by itself, but if you can activate it all on your own with another effect from the same card, then it becomes an interesting situational threat.

Painful Curse’s damage-placing effect is thematically great for a Ghost-type, and I like the possibility for Special Energy / Stadium disruption, since there otherwise isn’t a whole lot of that in DPPt. It gives you confidence that even if you’re not checkmating games with it, at least you’re able to use it to severely mess up your opponent’s plans. A disruption-focused Shedinja deck with the Shedinja LA you reference could be a lot of fun!

How often do I think this would realistically be able to checkmate a game? Not very. It’s kinda the same issue that prevents Shedinja from being a competitively viable VG Pokémon — it’s just too fragile, and you don’t want to risk one of your Prize cards on your opponent not having an answer.

With that in mind, I might suggest a change or two to Wonder Spirit, since I’m not sure walling Pokémon SP is the best possible effect for it. I dispute that SP decks “basically dominate” the DPPt format, as you say in your notes, but even if they did, they can deal with a 10-HP wall pretty easily — all it takes is one Flash Bite to really ruin Shedinja’s day. So, if you do want to wall Pokémon SP, I think making Shedinja immune to the effects of Pokémon SP’s Poké-Powers is a must.

Otherwise, an effect that protects Shedinja from Evolution Pokémon, like Shedinja DR’s Wonder Guard, might work, if you want to try something different. It is worth noting that DPPt already has a Shedinja, Shedinja SV, that works pretty well as an SP wall, forcing the opponent to hit it with something like Luxray GL’s Trash Bolt if they want to take a Knock Out. So it might make sense to go in a different direction with this card. There’s a lot of options!

Wording errors:
- Scizor-GX suggests that “If” is a better way to begin the Poké-Body than “As long as,” which is usually reserved for clauses about being in the Active Spot or on the Bench. [-2 points]

Fonts and Placement errors:
- Looks good. I tend to prefer using the DPPt-era font for the LV.X rule text, even on Omnium, but I know Frutiger is Pone’s preferred rule font, so who am I to argue?

Creativity/Originality: 15/15
(Plenty of props for creativity! I particularly like that the LV.X doesn’t increase the base form’s HP; it feels very appropriate for a Shedinja. And, as noted above, the combination of the Poké-Power and Poké-Body is great stylistically and mechanically. From a purely creative standpoint, I can’t think of a single thing I would change.)
Believability/Playability: 12/15
(Great attention to balancing in general — the card can function as a neat disruptor in a format without other cards that disrupt in the same way. However, I can’t see Wonder Spirit presenting much of a hassle for SP decks, and I think its effect would be better oriented in another direction.)
Wording: 8/10
(A minor error.)
Fonts and Placement: 5/5
(A quibble, but no points docked for doing it Pone’s way.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(It looks great! The drop shadow and border holosheet are two especially convincing elements. Nicely done!)
Total: 45/50
kpcac26_dark_fraxure-png.18826

MAN this looks good! Seldom do I see custom cards — CaC entries or otherwise — playing around with e-card blanks in this way, even though the results can be so eye-catching. People deride this era for the big yellow border running down the left side, but I think more of them would be singing a different tune if the border had this kind of versatility for special types of cards. With the holo effect and the red embellishments, it just looks stunning.

My compliments for a well-executed part-Darkness dual type, too — as you probably know, these are famously frustrating because of the black-text/white-text distinction on the two different type textures. I think you did great with it here.

Let’s look at the effects — I gotta say, first of all, you’re making my head hurt a little with an e-card blank that uses SM-era textures and has effects balanced for DPPt. It’s practically a custom era at this point, but no matter, that’s what CaC is all about!

There’s certainly a discard theme going on, though I could wish the effects played nicer with each other. Having your attacks tie into each other thematically is one thing, but introducing synergy is another, and I think it could benefit from some of the latter — otherwise, you run the risk of the card being played for only one of its effects (probably the Poké-Power) and the others going unnoticed.

The Poké-Power is great! It’s like a cross between Dedenne-GX and Zebstrika LOT, and while I think it’s less intrinsically useful than either was in its time, it’s true that it could see play under the right circumstances. Being able to activate several of them in a turn is an asset over Dedechange, and with a 2-for-40 attack, it has the potential to continue helping out after the Poké-Power is done and used.

There are a couple caveats there. The Energy costs are quite steep, since few decks can afford to play multiple Energy types like this. And I’m not convinced that Dark Shear is strong enough to make up for that cost. True, you can do up to 120 damage, but you would need a very specific effect to be able to stack your deck just right to achieve that. For 4 Energy on a Stage 1 with 80 HP … I think I’d want this attack to either cost somewhat less or do somewhat more.

The card is a great proof-of-concept overall. It demonstrates a fantastic new custom modified blank, and the effects make you think. But I think you could take the effects a little farther — don’t be afraid to push the envelope on the mechanics as well as the aesthetics!

Wording errors:
- The second attack should presumably be Dark Shear, not Dark Sheer. [-1 point]

- Looks good — your blank, your rules, for the most part. However, I will note as a point of personal preference that e-card Pokémon used Gill Sans Bold Condensed for the Pokémon name, and it looks a little out of place to my eye to use Gill Sans Bold instead.

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(I like that you have a discard theme going, though the effects don’t play into each other much, and none of them is all that new as Pokémon effects go. Some self-synergy — perhaps a way to stack the top of the deck to help with Dark Shear? — could go a long way.)
Believability/Playability: 13/15
(Looks broadly fine on playability, certainly not game-breaking. I’m docking one point because Dark Shear, with its steep multicolor cost, strikes me as very hard to use without some specific support cards. I’m docking another point because, on the believability end, it bugs me a little that the card is both a Dark Pokémon and a Team Rocket’s Pokémon, since those are two separate categories in the real TCG.)
Wording: 9/10
(Shear/Sheer.)
(Looks good, with one suggestion.)
(The holosheet, the darkened e-card border, the red embellishments, the type texture mixing … Simply stunning. I hope to see more from these blanks in the future!)
Total: 43/50
porygon2-png.18830

I chuckled when I saw the art and read the Held Item. There’s something particularly amusing about this card being entered by “Gravity Monkey”. Poor Porygon2!

I like the design of the Held Item and Poké-Body a lot. I see a lot of decks designed around responding to the opponent’s board, but not too many effects that encourage the opponent to respond to yours. Offering them choices and then punishing them when they make the wrong one is an interesting area of design space that could use some more exploring.

Dicey Shuttle has a great design (even if it’s unusual to see a Held Item on a Stage 1, and, what’s more, a Held Item you can activate voluntarily on your turn). As we’ve seen, effects like Keldeo-EX’s Rush In are historically strong, practically removing an element of stall, as well as all Special Conditions, from any format in which they appear. To put it on a Stage 1, however, and to allow your opponent to block the effect for a potentially steep cost, is a very interesting modification. Most of the time, they won’t want to discard the Trainer card, but once in a while, having the option will be crucial. Even if there’s nothing else the Porygon2 player wants to pivot into, Porygon2 itself can be a formidable wall, which the opponent might not like to see in the Active Spot at the end of the turn.

One potential concern that might actually end up being a net positive: while the card is certainly great in Evolution-heavy formats like Lackey DPPt, it must really struggle against decks with attacking Basics. Aside from the Poké-Body doing virtually nothing in those matchups, the cost of Copy-and-Paste would be too high to stand a chance. People use Basic attackers because they like only having to invest a couple of cards in an attack — when you’re using an 80-HP Stage 1 to use the same attack for three Energy, it becomes a lot less good. However, this is probably a good thing for the card’s balancing. In a format where every deck is heavy on Evolutions, Porygon2 becomes practically a staple — that’s the risk you run when you design a strong [C] card.

Copy-and-Paste feels like an appropriate attack here, even if it’s not as unique as the other two effects. Overall a well designed card — I would be interested to see it in action!

Wording errors:
- Pokémon with Held Items don’t get Pokédex information in the space between the Held Item and the illustration. [-1 point]
- The “unless” wording in the Held Item is unusual, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt since Held Items have broken wording conventions to save space before.
- For hyphenated attack names in DPPt, not always, but generally, the first word is the only one to be capitalized. I’ll give you “Copy-and-Paste” on the basis of Lickilicky C, but “and” should certainly be lowercase. [-1 point]
- Unfortunately, the wording for copying an attack in DPPt is significantly more complicated than that. [-3 points]

- Looks good!

Creativity/Originality: 14/15
(Love the effects — none of them is too out there, but they riff on more common effects in a great way, and the gameplay potential is fantastic. I’d love to see the card in action. The last point here, which is less than I normally withhold for copy-and-pasting an existing attack effect, would come from a more unique attack.)
Believability/Playability: 14/15
(The effects are all individually good and work with each other in interesting ways, but the card is fortunately held back from becoming a staple by its vulnerability to Basic-focused decks. One cautious point docked because, while I love the flavor of the Held Item with respect to the art, it’s very unusual to have a Held Item that you can activate at will on any of your turns. From a purely believability standpoint, the effect would probably be better served as a Poké-Power.)
Wording: 5/10
(A few errors.)
(Looks good.)
(I mean, the art is fantastic, it looks right at home on the blank, and the effects tie into it super well. This is about as good as it gets without introducing holosheets and stuff.)
deltacomfeycac-png.18831

A holo Delta Species card is such a great way to draw attention to an otherwise underappreciated Pokémon! Nothing says “look at me” like a pair of new types and some compelling artwork to match. It’s sort of a shame the nature of the Delta Species holo washes out the colors of the Pokémon, since Comfey would normally be so eye-catching, but perhaps that’s part of the point — it’s a Colorless-type card now, after all. I like the cell tower in the background, as always for your Delta cards.

Recycle Ring is in rare company as a returner of Trainer cards — and as an effect repeatable every turn, no less! Even with a couple of restrictions, like the hard once-per-turn limit and the fact that the Trainer card goes on top of your deck rather than immediately to your hand, I have a hard time seeing why every deck in the format wouldn’t be compelled to play one of these. Getting more uses out of your strongest Trainer cards for the low, low price of a single Bench spot? What deck wouldn’t want that?

I know this card went through several iterations before reaching this point. If I were to suggest one more for the Poké-Power, I think making it a single-use on-drop power would help. That way, you have to think a little harder about when and why you want to play it, and the drawbacks of it taking up a Bench spot later in the game, rather than simply playing it as early as possible and using the power every turn afterward. Another option, if you want to preserve the every-turn aspect, could be to require that Comfey be in the Active Spot in order to use the power — just some kind of additional barrier that requires the player do a little more thinking than simply putting down the Pokémon and declaring “Recycle Ring.”

Misfortune Dance is a great concept — reminds me of the Malamar XY promo that never really took off. However, provided you reduce the power of the Poké-Power in some way, I think you could even get away with making the all-coin-flips-are-tails effect automatic. True, you shut down all your opponent’s coin flips for the turn, a kind of soft lock, but you’re not preventing them from playing the game, and you’re not gaining much ground yourself in the process.

The concepts are interesting. I like the coin flip and Trainer recovery ideas, especially since they’re underexplored in faking out of perceived swinginess or brokenness. However, in the process of iterating on an effect, I think it’s often better to simply try to balance a single effect rather than come up with many possible effects for the same idea. This card is quite different from your initial concept, but I still have some balancing concerns about it. If you scrap the initial concept and start over with a new effect, you’re back to square one on the balancing process!

Wording errors:
- Looks good.

- Looks good.

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(Interesting study of underexplored effects — it’s certainly easy to see the utility of both the Poké-Power and the attack in the ex format. Comfey hitting the field and then dancing around the place causing havoc for coin flips and Trainer cards is a great visual. The last few points here could come from thinking about the gameplay potential, since the card as-is would be pretty straightforward to play. How would you make the effects compelling enough to get somebody to stop on this card and think, “This looks like a ton of fun. How can I make this work best?”)
(Recycle Ring seems quite strong, while Misfortune Dance is a little underwhelming. It might help to place an additional restriction on Recycle Ring to make the player think more about using it, and to remove the coin flip from Misfortune Dance.)
Wording: 10/10
(Looks good.)
(Looks good.)
(Fantastic as always — it’s easy to see Comfey, normally a colorful and vibrant Pokémon, as a washed-out Delta Species Pokémon here. It’s a little sad that the flowers aren’t brighter, but I think the effect works! And the background is stunning as usual.)
dgz096u-09fec952-294e-4469-833e-cf1383a5e0a6.png

Welcome back to CaC, Omega! It’s been cool to follow the progress of your custom blanks over on Discord, and I’m glad to see they finally found their way to the PokeBeach neck of the woods. I particularly like the HP space, the grille/Poké Ball thing to the left of the illustration, and the flavor text/W/R/R section down below. On this card, the colors pop especially well, particularly the bright red of Shaymin’s scarf thing, and the green parts of its body complementing the blank while contrasting against the blue background. Great choice of art and great execution of the holosheet.

A couple concerns about the blank, one practical, one aesthetic. I know these blanks have been in development since long before this round of the contest and you’re by no means obliged to take any of this into consideration, but this is CaC and this is the part where I make suggestions about your entries.

First, as you’re probably aware, there are a couple of good reasons for not putting important information (like “Basic Pokémon”) on the border of a card, which are (a) that the edges are the first things to wear, and (b) that they can make miscuts really obvious. Even when they moved the copyright to the bottom border in SwSh, an unprecedented decision, they took care to leave some solid yellow space between the copyright and the actual edge of the card. For cards that are only ever intended to be digital, it’s not really that big a deal, but it’s why it looks so odd, at least to me, to put the “Basic Pokémon” bar on the border.

Second, I’m surprised by the spacing of the attack text section. I know the intention is to maximize the possible space for multiple lengthy effects, but it strikes me as weird to make the margins so small and text space so wide, and then also leave a whole bunch of space between Petal Storm and the flavor text area. Why not just space everything in that section evenly? As with putting things on the border, it’s not intrinsically wrong to do it this way, but no Pokémon era has ever organized its attack text space like this, so it throws me for a loop when I see it here.

Grateful Bloom is interesting. As far as “Bloom” effects go, I like that it turns one search card into three. The hard cap of one Grateful Bloom per turn makes sense to me; you don’t want one Level Ball–like effect to fill out your whole Bench by itself. However, the intent to slot it into a format like DPPt–HGSS is where you lose me a little. Decks in these formats famously prefer Supporter cards like Roseanne’s Research and Pokémon Collector over Trainer (Item) cards to search out their Basic Pokémon. I think Grateful Bloom would benefit a lot from a simple change in the first sentence to “Trainer or Supporter card,” to let it function as intended with the way decks in these eras are conventionally built.

Power Bloom is … okay. You’re probably not using a 3-Energy attack to do 60 damage and no other effect with a 70-HP Pokémon all too often, though it could be useful once in a while in a deck that normally prioritizes a different attacker. I think it’s more likely that in most games, you’ll grab Shaymin to net an additional Pokémon off your search card, and then it’ll just be a Bench-sitter that’s served its purpose after that. Ironically, maybe an additional attack (like a support attack?) would help round things out!

It’s not bad work overall. I like the blank, my two quibbles with it aside, and the art is a great demonstration of what it can do. But I think the effects could use some more development, perhaps the attack moreso than the Poké-Power. I’d be interested to see what you do for a CaC that you decide to join before the last day! ;)

Wording errors:
- “if you played” → “if you play” to match the tense of “choose”. Empoleon FB doesn’t work as a reference here because it’s an attack checking something that happened earlier, not a Poké-Power checking something that triggered it and has yet to resolve. [-1 point]
- The “[clause] and [clause] and [clause]” structure of the first sentence of Grateful Bloom is unusual — TPCi is generally quite happy to list clauses separated by commas, so “if you play a Trainer card from your hand to search your deck for a Pokémon, you choose Shaymin, and your Bench isn’t full” would be more in keeping with what I’d expect. To use a more modern convention, you could also do “if you play a Trainer card from your hand to search your deck for a Pokémon and you choose Shaymin, and if your Bench isn’t full”, or you could simply cut the whole “if your Bench isn’t full” clause, since Ninjask LA is an exception to the rule and plenty of cards (e.g. Garchomp LV.X) don’t use the clause for similar effects. [-1 point]

- In Petal Storm’s damage, it looks like you’ve got a letter “x” rather than the multiplication symbol (×). [-0.5 point]

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(A Poké-Power that activates from the deck to turn one search card into three search cards is pretty cool design space, and I sure wish there were more effects like it in the real TCG. I think you could take this card quite a bit farther, though — perhaps repurposing Petal Storm into a more unique attack, or adding a second attack for additional utility after the Poké-Power has been spent.)
(A couple points docked for playability. The Poké-Power seems alright in principle; useful for Grass decks that need to get a bunch of Pokémon out quickly. However, at least the way DPPt–HGSS and most custom formats that imitate it are set up, it would almost definitely need to be able to activate off a Supporter search as well in order to be useful — there’s no Level Ball in DPPt! Petal Storm is okay for a Basic power-wise, but of course you don’t want to be attacking with a 70-HP Pokémon if you can help it, so the attack space might merit a second, more support-oriented effect if you want the card to do more than Bench-sit.)
(Two minor errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 4.5/5
(10x rather than 10×.)
Aesthetics: 4.5/5
(A well developed blank with an excellent piece of art to showcase it. I particularly like the brightness of the colors, and I think the holosheet serves to bring them out even more. Just don’t forget to cut your corners!)
Total: 42/50
mr_mime_ex-png.18838

Ha! A shame PMJ isn’t judging image; he’s a big fan of Mr. Mime(-EX). I can’t recall ever seeing an Evolutions fake before, much less an Evolutions Pokémon-EX. Mad props for pulling this one together this month!

I like that it’s a 90-HP Pokémon-EX, and I like even more that it’s a 90-HP Pokémon-EX that can function as a front-liner. Party Walls gets pretty strong pretty fast if you’re building a Bench of three other Mr. Mime-EX and perhaps a couple M Gardevoir-EX, but it never gets higher than an effective 190 HP, which is just barely above the typical high end for Basic Pokémon-EX. Granted, your opponent won’t generally be one-shotting this thing, so it might get to be more like an effective 240 HP, but even that isn’t absurd for the level of commitment you have to maintain — a full Bench of dual-type Pokémon, none of which is a consistency support Pokémon. And it’s true that the format does contain Sky Field, letting you potentially push your numbers even higher, but the format also contains Parallel City, which keeps things from getting too crazy.

And then, provided your opponent is playing skillfully with a small board, you have an incentive to keep your own Bench size down to reap the benefits of Balancing Act — mitigating the huge strength Mr. Mime could otherwise amass unchecked. Design-wise, this is anti-synergy at its finest; a true balancing act if there ever was one.

That said, in thinking about the card’s overall utility, I wonder whether Balancing Act does enough damage, or has a strong enough effect, for the card to truly be a contender. As it is, once you fill your Bench, you’re sitting with a Pokémon-EX with only moderately high HP. It can tank hits for a while, but it’s no Wailord-EX, stalling all day with only a one-card commitment. How is it going to win games? Presumably through effective use of Balancing Act — but, if it’s going to be attacking, I think it needs to either be a more effective wall or do more damage, at least 3HKOing most opposing Pokémon-EX, if not better. If you’re only chipping away with 40-60 damage a turn, your opponent is easily winning the Prize trade no matter how many [P] and [Y] Pokémon you’re Benching.

That’s my one gripe with the card, on the playability front. Looking purely at the design, it’s fantastic. I know you were pressed for time this month, but it’s a great idea with really solid execution, and I think the time crunch only hurt the card barely if at all. Hoping for a more leisurely round for you next month!

Wording errors:
- Looks good.

- Looks good.

(Making a Pokémon-EX is a daring choice for a month where the card has to have a printed HP of 90 or less, but it definitely paid off! Party Walls is a great way to justify giving the card such low HP, and Balancing Act provides an element of anti-synergy that tests players’ skill fabulously, both on the Mr. Mime’s end and on the opponent’s end. Well done once again!)
(The card falls a little short on playability, imo. It reduces damage heftily, but isn’t quite a good enough wall, or a low-maintenance enough one, to be able to occupy the same kind of niche as Wailord-EX, and its offensive power isn’t really enough for me to expect it to win most Prize trades. Bumping Balancing Act up to 3 Energy and base 60 damage, 80 with Muscle Band, might be the ticket here, aiming for a 3HKO on most opposing Pokémon-EX.)
(Looks good.)
(Looks good.)
(The Unite pose goes great with the background for a FA Pokémon-EX, and the gold lineart looks solid. I could always wish for texturing on something like this, but it’s more than eye-catching enough for the full 5 points here.)
Total: 47/50
dgxln1x-b8e87181-4553-4814-800a-0c05be0cf0b4.png

Cute art! It would be neat to see a Wooloo card in the same set with a Whimsicott in the background.

The effects are unique in their own ways. I like the idea of a Pokémon conditionally being worth a negative Prize card, and there’s precedent for Whimsicott having a high-stakes way to mess with Prizes like this. I’m not sure 3 coin flips is the way to do it, since that’s practically the same as saying “it’ll never happen” for deckbuilding purposes, but admittedly it’s a tricky effect to make work. Maybe something more like The Wages of Fluff, where your opponent can see it coming and play around it, would be more balanced.

Toy Box is one of your famous downgraded GX attacks, which I always like to see. This design for it reminds me of Cyrus’s Conspiracy, which makes me wonder why these specific three types of cards. It’s cool to highlight that Items and Pokémon Tools are different now, but Pokémon Tools aren’t as ubiquitously useful as the other two, so I figure you’d probably be searching for just the Item and Energy an awful lot of the time playing this.

One of the things I like about CaC is when people work the theme into their cards in a more-than-superficial way. This is definitely one of the harder themes to do that with, but I saw the three coins in the Ability and three cards in the attack and thought, “Huh. Three times three is nine. Like Level Ball.” Not sure if that was intentional, but it’s a nice nod if so!

Wording errors:
- “can’t take a Prize card” → “can’t take any Prize cards,” per cards like Glimmora and Snorlax Doll. [-1 point]
- [check first sentence of Ability]

- Looks good.

(The effects are interesting individually; I especially like the idea of a Pokémon being worth negative Prize cards. Toy Box is interesting too; I like that it’s a downgraded GX attack. However, while they’re eminently believable effects to have on a Whimsicott, I think you could push the envelope a little more — paradoxically, while I’m a big fan of the downgraded GX attacks in general, GX attacks aren’t usually too unique in and of themselves, so their downgraded counterparts might take a little extra work to win creativity points here.)
(It seems gimmicky and ultimately too difficult to play. Fluffy Prizes requiring three(!) heads makes it hard to justify playing in the first place, and the difficulty of controlling it makes it hard to rely on in a game. Toy Box strikes me as much less powerful than something like Sylveon-GX’s Magical Ribbon, especially when decks typically play only a few copies of a single type of Pokémon Tool, so I’m not sure it would be worth setting up a Stage 1 for in the modern era.)
(One minor error.)
(Looks good.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(The illustration is cute, but I could wish for something extra to make the card pop, beyond putting some art on a blank.)
Total: 41/50
joltik-png.18847

I like the art, and I’m especially amused that not one but two entries this month have the Pokémon attached to balloons in their illustrations!

On the effects, I like where your headspace is at — it’s always cool to look at underused archetypes in a metagame and see how you can make them better. However, possibly due to the time crunch you experienced toward the end of the month, I think a couple things are holding you back here. For one, Gone With The Wind only lets you return “Pokémon with 90 HP,” crucially not “Pokémon with 90 HP or less,” so it doesn’t work for bouncing Joltik or, indeed, any of the CRE Castforms. Then, for mechanical reasons, you probably want it to say “90 HP or less remaining” and specify that it’s your Pokémon you’re bouncing, not your opponent’s.

For Cut the Power, unless there’s some other extremely useful Joltik in the format (which, at least as of right now, there isn’t), you’re probably just going to be playing four of this Joltik. If that’s the case, there’s no difference between Cut the Power working one time for four Joltiks and four times, each for one Joltik. Cut the Power could just say “[...] discard this card. Search your deck for a Stadium card and discard it. Then, shuffle your deck.” and have exactly the same effect. A potential area of expansion for the card would be to add some kind of synergistic effect if you do discard four Joltiks at once, like the way Missing Clover has a much better effect if you play all of them at the same time rather than individually. It’s up to you what that could be — maybe discarding as many Stadiums as you like, so getting four Joltik into your hand equates to activating Castform’s Ability instantly!

Granted, the errors probably could have been caught with a quick review before posting, and I know you were short on time — they’re easy things to miss when you’re rushing. The ideas are still great; I’m always keen to see targeted ways to boost underappreciated archetypes, and I think this one does a good job in principle. I hope you get to spend more time developing your entry next month! :)

Wording errors:
- Per, e.g., Audino BCR and Trumbeak LOT, “discard this card” should be “discard this Pokémon,” even while the Pokémon is in your hand. For the same reason, “cards with “Joltik” in their name” and “each card you discarded in this way” should say “Pokémon” instead of “card,” though amusingly the difference would matter if an Item card named something like “Joltik Doll” existed. [-2 points]
- Need to specify that you’re discarding the “3 cards with “Joltik” in their name” from your hand. I would also suggest saying “3 other cards” to make it as clear as possible that the user of the Ability doesn’t count toward the 3. [-2 points]
- As noted above, the attack should stipulate that the Pokémon you’re bouncing have to be your Pokémon, and say whether the 90-HP requirement is maximum HP or remaining HP. [-2 points]
- “Cut the Power” and “Gone with the Wind” should be capitalized as such. [-1 point]

- Looks good.

(I like the headspace that leads you to pick an underused archetype and try to make it better. It gets you into interesting design questions like, What is this archetype trying to do? Why can’t it do it effectively? If it had this particular asset, how would that change things? I think the Ability answers several of those questions in the right kind of way. I’m less sure about the attack. It does address the problem of starting Joltik, but this is a format with Scoop Up Net. You might be able to take the attack in a different direction to do even more with the archetype, if you wanted!)
Believability/Playability: 11/15
(I have a couple concerns here. One is that in the Ability, you could cut the whole thing about 3 other Joltik and have an Ability with essentially the exact same effect — I find it hard to believe an Ability like this would be printed without either cutting that part or adding a bonus for discarding a few Joltik at once. The other is, holy cow, 70 HP is a lot for a Joltik!)
Wording: 3/10
(A few errors.)
(Looks good.)
(Cute illustration, though I wish the top of the balloon was in it! A holosheet or something else to make the card pop could help here.)
Total: 34/50

2nd Place: A tie between Midarlarsupl’s Shedinja LV.X and Diego_Brando’s Comfey δ, each with 45/50 points.
1st Place: Nemes’s Mr. Mime-EX, with 47/50 points.

Congratulations, and see you in the next round!

Image-Based Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

Well, two months in, happy New Year, everybody! I know a lot of you felt the time crunch on this round, and I figure that’s probably for a whole variety of reasons. The beginning of the year can be a chaotic time. But you all brought fantastic ideas to the table, even the cards that weren’t started till the last few days of January, and that’s what I love to see. I’ll only point out that having the time to revise your card, to go over it a few times yourself, show it to other people, and ruminate in case a better idea comes to you, can be the difference between a good score and a great score in this contest. In addition to the usual things we call you guys on, like accidental wording and font slips, another thing that’s helped by having this revision time is your ability to take an idea and develop it to the furthest extent possible. That can win you the last few points in Creativity, opening up design, synergy, and gameplay questions you hadn’t even been thinking about to begin with.

I decided this month I’m not going to call out incorrect apostrophes/quotation marks (i.e. curly quotes vs. straight quotes) anymore, unless it’s the one mistake holding you back from a perfect score. I already don’t dock points for them anyway, it’s hardly the biggest deal, and the error is too common for me to point it out every time. But it is something to be aware of, since the Pokémon TCG does have a preference in the modern era, and it’s worth striving for accuracy where possible.

You guys did great this month! Limited to 90 HP or less, I enjoyed seeing your take on the little guys. See you in a few hours for the next round!

~~Jabberwock

shedinjalvx-png.18619

I like the effects a lot. First of all, LV.X with both a Power and a Body, yes please, sign me up. The Power plays very well into the Body: Wonder Spirit would be much too niche to ever be viable by itself, but if you can activate it all on your own with another effect from the same card, then it becomes an interesting situational threat.

Painful Curse’s damage-placing effect is thematically great for a Ghost-type, and I like the possibility for Special Energy / Stadium disruption, since there otherwise isn’t a whole lot of that in DPPt. It gives you confidence that even if you’re not checkmating games with it, at least you’re able to use it to severely mess up your opponent’s plans. A disruption-focused Shedinja deck with the Shedinja LA you reference could be a lot of fun!

How often do I think this would realistically be able to checkmate a game? Not very. It’s kinda the same issue that prevents Shedinja from being a competitively viable VG Pokémon — it’s just too fragile, and you don’t want to risk one of your Prize cards on your opponent not having an answer.

With that in mind, I might suggest a change or two to Wonder Spirit, since I’m not sure walling Pokémon SP is the best possible effect for it. I dispute that SP decks “basically dominate” the DPPt format, as you say in your notes, but even if they did, they can deal with a 10-HP wall pretty easily — all it takes is one Flash Bite to really ruin Shedinja’s day. So, if you do want to wall Pokémon SP, I think making Shedinja immune to the effects of Pokémon SP’s Poké-Powers is a must.

Otherwise, an effect that protects Shedinja from Evolution Pokémon, like Shedinja DR’s Wonder Guard, might work, if you want to try something different. It is worth noting that DPPt already has a Shedinja, Shedinja SV, that works pretty well as an SP wall, forcing the opponent to hit it with something like Luxray GL’s Trash Bolt if they want to take a Knock Out. So it might make sense to go in a different direction with this card. There’s a lot of options!

Wording errors:
- Scizor-GX suggests that “If” is a better way to begin the Poké-Body than “As long as,” which is usually reserved for clauses about being in the Active Spot or on the Bench. [-2 points]

- Looks good. I tend to prefer using the DPPt-era font for the LV.X rule text, even on Omnium, but I know Frutiger is Pone’s preferred rule font, so who am I to argue?

(Plenty of props for creativity! I particularly like that the LV.X doesn’t increase the base form’s HP; it feels very appropriate for a Shedinja. And, as noted above, the combination of the Poké-Power and Poké-Body is great stylistically and mechanically. From a purely creative standpoint, I can’t think of a single thing I would change.)
(Great attention to balancing in general — the card can function as a neat disruptor in a format without other cards that disrupt in the same way. However, I can’t see Wonder Spirit presenting much of a hassle for SP decks, and I think its effect would be better oriented in another direction.)
(A minor error.)
(A quibble, but no points docked for doing it Pone’s way.)
(It looks great! The drop shadow and border holosheet are two especially convincing elements. Nicely done!)
kpcac26_dark_fraxure-png.18826

MAN this looks good! Seldom do I see custom cards — CaC entries or otherwise — playing around with e-card blanks in this way, even though the results can be so eye-catching. People deride this era for the big yellow border running down the left side, but I think more of them would be singing a different tune if the border had this kind of versatility for special types of cards. With the holo effect and the red embellishments, it just looks stunning.

My compliments for a well-executed part-Darkness dual type, too — as you probably know, these are famously frustrating because of the black-text/white-text distinction on the two different type textures. I think you did great with it here.

Let’s look at the effects — I gotta say, first of all, you’re making my head hurt a little with an e-card blank that uses SM-era textures and has effects balanced for DPPt. It’s practically a custom era at this point, but no matter, that’s what CaC is all about!

There’s certainly a discard theme going on, though I could wish the effects played nicer with each other. Having your attacks tie into each other thematically is one thing, but introducing synergy is another, and I think it could benefit from some of the latter — otherwise, you run the risk of the card being played for only one of its effects (probably the Poké-Power) and the others going unnoticed.

The Poké-Power is great! It’s like a cross between Dedenne-GX and Zebstrika LOT, and while I think it’s less intrinsically useful than either was in its time, it’s true that it could see play under the right circumstances. Being able to activate several of them in a turn is an asset over Dedechange, and with a 2-for-40 attack, it has the potential to continue helping out after the Poké-Power is done and used.

There are a couple caveats there. The Energy costs are quite steep, since few decks can afford to play multiple Energy types like this. And I’m not convinced that Dark Shear is strong enough to make up for that cost. True, you can do up to 120 damage, but you would need a very specific effect to be able to stack your deck just right to achieve that. For 4 Energy on a Stage 1 with 80 HP … I think I’d want this attack to either cost somewhat less or do somewhat more.

The card is a great proof-of-concept overall. It demonstrates a fantastic new custom modified blank, and the effects make you think. But I think you could take the effects a little farther — don’t be afraid to push the envelope on the mechanics as well as the aesthetics!

Wording errors:
- The second attack should presumably be Dark Shear, not Dark Sheer. [-1 point]

- Looks good — your blank, your rules, for the most part. However, I will note as a point of personal preference that e-card Pokémon used Gill Sans Bold Condensed for the Pokémon name, and it looks a little out of place to my eye to use Gill Sans Bold instead.

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(I like that you have a discard theme going, though the effects don’t play into each other much, and none of them is all that new as Pokémon effects go. Some self-synergy — perhaps a way to stack the top of the deck to help with Dark Shear? — could go a long way.)
(Looks broadly fine on playability, certainly not game-breaking. I’m docking one point because Dark Shear, with its steep multicolor cost, strikes me as very hard to use without some specific support cards. I’m docking another point because, on the believability end, it bugs me a little that the card is both a Dark Pokémon and a Team Rocket’s Pokémon, since those are two separate categories in the real TCG.)
(Shear/Sheer.)
(Looks good, with one suggestion.)
(The holosheet, the darkened e-card border, the red embellishments, the type texture mixing … Simply stunning. I hope to see more from these blanks in the future!)
porygon2-png.18830

I chuckled when I saw the art and read the Held Item. There’s something particularly amusing about this card being entered by “Gravity Monkey”. Poor Porygon2!

I like the design of the Held Item and Poké-Body a lot. I see a lot of decks designed around responding to the opponent’s board, but not too many effects that encourage the opponent to respond to yours. Offering them choices and then punishing them when they make the wrong one is an interesting area of design space that could use some more exploring.

Dicey Shuttle has a great design (even if it’s unusual to see a Held Item on a Stage 1, and, what’s more, a Held Item you can activate voluntarily on your turn). As we’ve seen, effects like Keldeo-EX’s Rush In are historically strong, practically removing an element of stall, as well as all Special Conditions, from any format in which they appear. To put it on a Stage 1, however, and to allow your opponent to block the effect for a potentially steep cost, is a very interesting modification. Most of the time, they won’t want to discard the Trainer card, but once in a while, having the option will be crucial. Even if there’s nothing else the Porygon2 player wants to pivot into, Porygon2 itself can be a formidable wall, which the opponent might not like to see in the Active Spot at the end of the turn.

One potential concern that might actually end up being a net positive: while the card is certainly great in Evolution-heavy formats like Lackey DPPt, it must really struggle against decks with attacking Basics. Aside from the Poké-Body doing virtually nothing in those matchups, the cost of Copy-and-Paste would be too high to stand a chance. People use Basic attackers because they like only having to invest a couple of cards in an attack — when you’re using an 80-HP Stage 1 to use the same attack for three Energy, it becomes a lot less good. However, this is probably a good thing for the card’s balancing. In a format where every deck is heavy on Evolutions, Porygon2 becomes practically a staple — that’s the risk you run when you design a strong [C] card.

Copy-and-Paste feels like an appropriate attack here, even if it’s not as unique as the other two effects. Overall a well designed card — I would be interested to see it in action!

Wording errors:
- Pokémon with Held Items don’t get Pokédex information in the space between the Held Item and the illustration. [-1 point]
- The “unless” wording in the Held Item is unusual, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt since Held Items have broken wording conventions to save space before.
- For hyphenated attack names in DPPt, not always, but generally, the first word is the only one to be capitalized. I’ll give you “Copy-and-Paste” on the basis of Lickilicky C, but “and” should certainly be lowercase. [-1 point]
- Unfortunately, the wording for copying an attack in DPPt is significantly more complicated than that. [-3 points]

- Looks good!

Creativity/Originality: 14/15
(Love the effects — none of them is too out there, but they riff on more common effects in a great way, and the gameplay potential is fantastic. I’d love to see the card in action. The last point here, which is less than I normally withhold for copy-and-pasting an existing attack effect, would come from a more unique attack.)
(The effects are all individually good and work with each other in interesting ways, but the card is fortunately held back from becoming a staple by its vulnerability to Basic-focused decks. One cautious point docked because, while I love the flavor of the Held Item with respect to the art, it’s very unusual to have a Held Item that you can activate at will on any of your turns. From a purely believability standpoint, the effect would probably be better served as a Poké-Power.)
Wording: 5/10
(A few errors.)
(Looks good.)
(I mean, the art is fantastic, it looks right at home on the blank, and the effects tie into it super well. This is about as good as it gets without introducing holosheets and stuff.)
deltacomfeycac-png.18831

A holo Delta Species card is such a great way to draw attention to an otherwise underappreciated Pokémon! Nothing says “look at me” like a pair of new types and some compelling artwork to match. It’s sort of a shame the nature of the Delta Species holo washes out the colors of the Pokémon, since Comfey would normally be so eye-catching, but perhaps that’s part of the point — it’s a Colorless-type card now, after all. I like the cell tower in the background, as always for your Delta cards.

Recycle Ring is in rare company as a returner of Trainer cards — and as an effect repeatable every turn, no less! Even with a couple of restrictions, like the hard once-per-turn limit and the fact that the Trainer card goes on top of your deck rather than immediately to your hand, I have a hard time seeing why every deck in the format wouldn’t be compelled to play one of these. Getting more uses out of your strongest Trainer cards for the low, low price of a single Bench spot? What deck wouldn’t want that?

I know this card went through several iterations before reaching this point. If I were to suggest one more for the Poké-Power, I think making it a single-use on-drop power would help. That way, you have to think a little harder about when and why you want to play it, and the drawbacks of it taking up a Bench spot later in the game, rather than simply playing it as early as possible and using the power every turn afterward. Another option, if you want to preserve the every-turn aspect, could be to require that Comfey be in the Active Spot in order to use the power — just some kind of additional barrier that requires the player do a little more thinking than simply putting down the Pokémon and declaring “Recycle Ring.”

Misfortune Dance is a great concept — reminds me of the Malamar XY promo that never really took off. However, provided you reduce the power of the Poké-Power in some way, I think you could even get away with making the all-coin-flips-are-tails effect automatic. True, you shut down all your opponent’s coin flips for the turn, a kind of soft lock, but you’re not preventing them from playing the game, and you’re not gaining much ground yourself in the process.

The concepts are interesting. I like the coin flip and Trainer recovery ideas, especially since they’re underexplored in faking out of perceived swinginess or brokenness. However, in the process of iterating on an effect, I think it’s often better to simply try to balance a single effect rather than come up with many possible effects for the same idea. This card is quite different from your initial concept, but I still have some balancing concerns about it. If you scrap the initial concept and start over with a new effect, you’re back to square one on the balancing process!

Wording errors:
- Looks good.

- Looks good.

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(Interesting study of underexplored effects — it’s certainly easy to see the utility of both the Poké-Power and the attack in the ex format. Comfey hitting the field and then dancing around the place causing havoc for coin flips and Trainer cards is a great visual. The last few points here could come from thinking about the gameplay potential, since the card as-is would be pretty straightforward to play. How would you make the effects compelling enough to get somebody to stop on this card and think, “This looks like a ton of fun. How can I make this work best?”)
(Recycle Ring seems quite strong, while Misfortune Dance is a little underwhelming. It might help to place an additional restriction on Recycle Ring to make the player think more about using it, and to remove the coin flip from Misfortune Dance.)
(Looks good.)
(Looks good.)
(Fantastic as always — it’s easy to see Comfey, normally a colorful and vibrant Pokémon, as a washed-out Delta Species Pokémon here. It’s a little sad that the flowers aren’t brighter, but I think the effect works! And the background is stunning as usual.)
dgz096u-09fec952-294e-4469-833e-cf1383a5e0a6.png

Welcome back to CaC, Omega! It’s been cool to follow the progress of your custom blanks over on Discord, and I’m glad to see they finally found their way to the PokeBeach neck of the woods. I particularly like the HP space, the grille/Poké Ball thing to the left of the illustration, and the flavor text/W/R/R section down below. On this card, the colors pop especially well, particularly the bright red of Shaymin’s scarf thing, and the green parts of its body complementing the blank while contrasting against the blue background. Great choice of art and great execution of the holosheet.

A couple concerns about the blank, one practical, one aesthetic. I know these blanks have been in development since long before this round of the contest and you’re by no means obliged to take any of this into consideration, but this is CaC and this is the part where I make suggestions about your entries.

First, as you’re probably aware, there are a couple of good reasons for not putting important information (like “Basic Pokémon”) on the border of a card, which are (a) that the edges are the first things to wear, and (b) that they can make miscuts really obvious. Even when they moved the copyright to the bottom border in SwSh, an unprecedented decision, they took care to leave some solid yellow space between the copyright and the actual edge of the card. For cards that are only ever intended to be digital, it’s not really that big a deal, but it’s why it looks so odd, at least to me, to put the “Basic Pokémon” bar on the border.

Second, I’m surprised by the spacing of the attack text section. I know the intention is to maximize the possible space for multiple lengthy effects, but it strikes me as weird to make the margins so small and text space so wide, and then also leave a whole bunch of space between Petal Storm and the flavor text area. Why not just space everything in that section evenly? As with putting things on the border, it’s not intrinsically wrong to do it this way, but no Pokémon era has ever organized its attack text space like this, so it throws me for a loop when I see it here.

Grateful Bloom is interesting. As far as “Bloom” effects go, I like that it turns one search card into three. The hard cap of one Grateful Bloom per turn makes sense to me; you don’t want one Level Ball–like effect to fill out your whole Bench by itself. However, the intent to slot it into a format like DPPt–HGSS is where you lose me a little. Decks in these formats famously prefer Supporter cards like Roseanne’s Research and Pokémon Collector over Trainer (Item) cards to search out their Basic Pokémon. I think Grateful Bloom would benefit a lot from a simple change in the first sentence to “Trainer or Supporter card,” to let it function as intended with the way decks in these eras are conventionally built.

Power Bloom is … okay. You’re probably not using a 3-Energy attack to do 60 damage and no other effect with a 70-HP Pokémon all too often, though it could be useful once in a while in a deck that normally prioritizes a different attacker. I think it’s more likely that in most games, you’ll grab Shaymin to net an additional Pokémon off your search card, and then it’ll just be a Bench-sitter that’s served its purpose after that. Ironically, maybe an additional attack (like a support attack?) would help round things out!

It’s not bad work overall. I like the blank, my two quibbles with it aside, and the art is a great demonstration of what it can do. But I think the effects could use some more development, perhaps the attack moreso than the Poké-Power. I’d be interested to see what you do for a CaC that you decide to join before the last day! ;)

Wording errors:
- “if you played” → “if you play” to match the tense of “choose”. Empoleon FB doesn’t work as a reference here because it’s an attack checking something that happened earlier, not a Poké-Power checking something that triggered it and has yet to resolve. [-1 point]
- The “[clause] and [clause] and [clause]” structure of the first sentence of Grateful Bloom is unusual — TPCi is generally quite happy to list clauses separated by commas, so “if you play a Trainer card from your hand to search your deck for a Pokémon, you choose Shaymin, and your Bench isn’t full” would be more in keeping with what I’d expect. To use a more modern convention, you could also do “if you play a Trainer card from your hand to search your deck for a Pokémon and you choose Shaymin, and if your Bench isn’t full”, or you could simply cut the whole “if your Bench isn’t full” clause, since Ninjask LA is an exception to the rule and plenty of cards (e.g. Garchomp LV.X) don’t use the clause for similar effects. [-1 point]

- In Petal Storm’s damage, it looks like you’ve got a letter “x” rather than the multiplication symbol (×). [-0.5 point]

(A Poké-Power that activates from the deck to turn one search card into three search cards is pretty cool design space, and I sure wish there were more effects like it in the real TCG. I think you could take this card quite a bit farther, though — perhaps repurposing Petal Storm into a more unique attack, or adding a second attack for additional utility after the Poké-Power has been spent.)
(A couple points docked for playability. The Poké-Power seems alright in principle; useful for Grass decks that need to get a bunch of Pokémon out quickly. However, at least the way DPPt–HGSS and most custom formats that imitate it are set up, it would almost definitely need to be able to activate off a Supporter search as well in order to be useful — there’s no Level Ball in DPPt! Petal Storm is okay for a Basic power-wise, but of course you don’t want to be attacking with a 70-HP Pokémon if you can help it, so the attack space might merit a second, more support-oriented effect if you want the card to do more than Bench-sit.)
(Two minor errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 4.5/5
(10x rather than 10×.)
Aesthetics: 4.5/5
(A well developed blank with an excellent piece of art to showcase it. I particularly like the brightness of the colors, and I think the holosheet serves to bring them out even more. Just don’t forget to cut your corners!)
mr_mime_ex-png.18838

Ha! A shame PMJ isn’t judging image; he’s a big fan of Mr. Mime(-EX). I can’t recall ever seeing an Evolutions fake before, much less an Evolutions Pokémon-EX. Mad props for pulling this one together this month!

I like that it’s a 90-HP Pokémon-EX, and I like even more that it’s a 90-HP Pokémon-EX that can function as a front-liner. Party Walls gets pretty strong pretty fast if you’re building a Bench of three other Mr. Mime-EX and perhaps a couple M Gardevoir-EX, but it never gets higher than an effective 190 HP, which is just barely above the typical high end for Basic Pokémon-EX. Granted, your opponent won’t generally be one-shotting this thing, so it might get to be more like an effective 240 HP, but even that isn’t absurd for the level of commitment you have to maintain — a full Bench of dual-type Pokémon, none of which is a consistency support Pokémon. And it’s true that the format does contain Sky Field, letting you potentially push your numbers even higher, but the format also contains Parallel City, which keeps things from getting too crazy.

And then, provided your opponent is playing skillfully with a small board, you have an incentive to keep your own Bench size down to reap the benefits of Balancing Act — mitigating the huge strength Mr. Mime could otherwise amass unchecked. Design-wise, this is anti-synergy at its finest; a true balancing act if there ever was one.

That said, in thinking about the card’s overall utility, I wonder whether Balancing Act does enough damage, or has a strong enough effect, for the card to truly be a contender. As it is, once you fill your Bench, you’re sitting with a Pokémon-EX with only moderately high HP. It can tank hits for a while, but it’s no Wailord-EX, stalling all day with only a one-card commitment. How is it going to win games? Presumably through effective use of Balancing Act — but, if it’s going to be attacking, I think it needs to either be a more effective wall or do more damage, at least 3HKOing most opposing Pokémon-EX, if not better. If you’re only chipping away with 40-60 damage a turn, your opponent is easily winning the Prize trade no matter how many [P] and [Y] Pokémon you’re Benching.

That’s my one gripe with the card, on the playability front. Looking purely at the design, it’s fantastic. I know you were pressed for time this month, but it’s a great idea with really solid execution, and I think the time crunch only hurt the card barely if at all. Hoping for a more leisurely round for you next month!

Wording errors:
- Looks good.

- Looks good.

(Making a Pokémon-EX is a daring choice for a month where the card has to have a printed HP of 90 or less, but it definitely paid off! Party Walls is a great way to justify giving the card such low HP, and Balancing Act provides an element of anti-synergy that tests players’ skill fabulously, both on the Mr. Mime’s end and on the opponent’s end. Well done once again!)
(The card falls a little short on playability, imo. It reduces damage heftily, but isn’t quite a good enough wall, or a low-maintenance enough one, to be able to occupy the same kind of niche as Wailord-EX, and its offensive power isn’t really enough for me to expect it to win most Prize trades. Bumping Balancing Act up to 3 Energy and base 60 damage, 80 with Muscle Band, might be the ticket here, aiming for a 3HKO on most opposing Pokémon-EX.)
(Looks good.)
(Looks good.)
(The Unite pose goes great with the background for a FA Pokémon-EX, and the gold lineart looks solid. I could always wish for texturing on something like this, but it’s more than eye-catching enough for the full 5 points here.)
Total: 47/50
dgxln1x-b8e87181-4553-4814-800a-0c05be0cf0b4.png

Cute art! It would be neat to see a Wooloo card in the same set with a Whimsicott in the background.

The effects are unique in their own ways. I like the idea of a Pokémon conditionally being worth a negative Prize card, and there’s precedent for Whimsicott having a high-stakes way to mess with Prizes like this. I’m not sure 3 coin flips is the way to do it, since that’s practically the same as saying “it’ll never happen” for deckbuilding purposes, but admittedly it’s a tricky effect to make work. Maybe something more like The Wages of Fluff, where your opponent can see it coming and play around it, would be more balanced.

Toy Box is one of your famous downgraded GX attacks, which I always like to see. This design for it reminds me of Cyrus’s Conspiracy, which makes me wonder why these specific three types of cards. It’s cool to highlight that Items and Pokémon Tools are different now, but Pokémon Tools aren’t as ubiquitously useful as the other two, so I figure you’d probably be searching for just the Item and Energy an awful lot of the time playing this.

One of the things I like about CaC is when people work the theme into their cards in a more-than-superficial way. This is definitely one of the harder themes to do that with, but I saw the three coins in the Ability and three cards in the attack and thought, “Huh. Three times three is nine. Like Level Ball.” Not sure if that was intentional, but it’s a nice nod if so!

Wording errors:
- “can’t take a Prize card” → “can’t take any Prize cards,” per cards like Glimmora and Snorlax Doll. [-1 point]
- [check first sentence of Ability]

- Looks good.

(The effects are interesting individually; I especially like the idea of a Pokémon being worth negative Prize cards. Toy Box is interesting too; I like that it’s a downgraded GX attack. However, while they’re eminently believable effects to have on a Whimsicott, I think you could push the envelope a little more — paradoxically, while I’m a big fan of the downgraded GX attacks in general, GX attacks aren’t usually too unique in and of themselves, so their downgraded counterparts might take a little extra work to win creativity points here.)
(It seems gimmicky and ultimately too difficult to play. Fluffy Prizes requiring three(!) heads makes it hard to justify playing in the first place, and the difficulty of controlling it makes it hard to rely on in a game. Toy Box strikes me as much less powerful than something like Sylveon-GX’s Magical Ribbon, especially when decks typically play only a few copies of a single type of Pokémon Tool, so I’m not sure it would be worth setting up a Stage 1 for in the modern era.)
(One minor error.)
(Looks good.)
(The illustration is cute, but I could wish for something extra to make the card pop, beyond putting some art on a blank.)
Total: 41/50
joltik-png.18847

I like the art, and I’m especially amused that not one but two entries this month have the Pokémon attached to balloons in their illustrations!

On the effects, I like where your headspace is at — it’s always cool to look at underused archetypes in a metagame and see how you can make them better. However, possibly due to the time crunch you experienced toward the end of the month, I think a couple things are holding you back here. For one, Gone With The Wind only lets you return “Pokémon with 90 HP,” crucially not “Pokémon with 90 HP or less,” so it doesn’t work for bouncing Joltik or, indeed, any of the CRE Castforms. Then, for mechanical reasons, you probably want it to say “90 HP or less remaining” and specify that it’s your Pokémon you’re bouncing, not your opponent’s.

For Cut the Power, unless there’s some other extremely useful Joltik in the format (which, at least as of right now, there isn’t), you’re probably just going to be playing four of this Joltik. If that’s the case, there’s no difference between Cut the Power working one time for four Joltiks and four times, each for one Joltik. Cut the Power could just say “[...] discard this card. Search your deck for a Stadium card and discard it. Then, shuffle your deck.” and have exactly the same effect. A potential area of expansion for the card would be to add some kind of synergistic effect if you do discard four Joltiks at once, like the way Missing Clover has a much better effect if you play all of them at the same time rather than individually. It’s up to you what that could be — maybe discarding as many Stadiums as you like, so getting four Joltik into your hand equates to activating Castform’s Ability instantly!

Granted, the errors probably could have been caught with a quick review before posting, and I know you were short on time — they’re easy things to miss when you’re rushing. The ideas are still great; I’m always keen to see targeted ways to boost underappreciated archetypes, and I think this one does a good job in principle. I hope you get to spend more time developing your entry next month! :)

Wording errors:
- Per, e.g., Audino BCR and Trumbeak LOT, “discard this card” should be “discard this Pokémon,” even while the Pokémon is in your hand. For the same reason, “cards with “Joltik” in their name” and “each card you discarded in this way” should say “Pokémon” instead of “card,” though amusingly the difference would matter if an Item card named something like “Joltik Doll” existed. [-2 points]
- Need to specify that you’re discarding the “3 cards with “Joltik” in their name” from your hand. I would also suggest saying “3 other cards” to make it as clear as possible that the user of the Ability doesn’t count toward the 3. [-2 points]
- As noted above, the attack should stipulate that the Pokémon you’re bouncing have to be your Pokémon, and say whether the 90-HP requirement is maximum HP or remaining HP. [-2 points]
- “Cut the Power” and “Gone with the Wind” should be capitalized as such. [-1 point]

- Looks good.

(I like the headspace that leads you to pick an underused archetype and try to make it better. It gets you into interesting design questions like, What is this archetype trying to do? Why can’t it do it effectively? If it had this particular asset, how would that change things? I think the Ability answers several of those questions in the right kind of way. I’m less sure about the attack. It does address the problem of starting Joltik, but this is a format with Scoop Up Net. You might be able to take the attack in a different direction to do even more with the archetype, if you wanted!)
Believability/Playability: 11/15
(I have a couple concerns here. One is that in the Ability, you could cut the whole thing about 3 other Joltik and have an Ability with essentially the exact same effect — I find it hard to believe an Ability like this would be printed without either cutting that part or adding a bonus for discarding a few Joltik at once. The other is, holy cow, 70 HP is a lot for a Joltik!)
Wording: 3/10
(A few errors.)
(Looks good.)
(Cute illustration, though I wish the top of the balloon was in it! A holosheet or something else to make the card pop could help here.)
Total: 34/50

2nd Place: A tie between Midarlarsupl’s Shedinja LV.X and Diego_Brando’s Comfey δ, each with 45/50 points.
1st Place: Nemes’s Mr. Mime-EX, with 47/50 points.

Congratulations, and see you in the next round!
Who won text?

Text-Based Results
Some good entries this round. Most of you scored over 40. If you all checked your wording and made sure things were correct, you'd all score over 40.

Join the Discord etc, we'll help you. :)

Radiant Mimikyu
HP: 90
Type: Psychic

Ability: Suspicious Stare
Effect: As long as this Pokemon is on your bench, you may put 1 damage counter on your opponent's active Pokemon in between turns. If your opponent's active Pokemon is knocked out in this way, discard this Pokemon and all cards attached to it.

Attack: [P][C] Hide And Seek
Damage: 40
Effect: This attack does 10 damage to 3 of your opponent's Pokemon that have any energy attached to them. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon)

Weakness: Dark
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C]

Description: Although this Pokemon looks scary, it's quite friendly. However, don't look underneath the bag it wears, as it is said that anyone who looks under it will get scared of what's inside so bad, that it will kill them.
My Thoughts
Really powerful and definitely worthy of your Radiant slot. The effect is identical to poison, and in an era where Pokemon can have upwards of 300 HP, I don't think this is busted, especially given the opportunity cost of using it over another Radiant Pokemon that might have more focused purpose for your deck. Having to discard the Pokemon if Suspicious Stare kills something is fair but only a minor inconvenience when Rescue Carrier is a thing.

The one thing I don't like about it is that you just set it and forget it. You don't interact with it, there's no strategy involved, nothing. Maybe if the attack was more useful? I dunno.

Hide and Seek is pretty much an afterthought - you're using this for Suspicious Stare and for no other reason. Nothing else to say about it.

Wording errors:
General
- Weakness modifier is missing [-1 point]
- In SWSH era, ghosts should have a -30 Fighting Resistance. Fairies have a x2 Metal Weakness and no Resistance. Either way, you are missing something. [-1 point]
- Accented é missing throughout [-4 points]
Suspicious Stare
- Capitalize Bench in all cases. [-1 point]
- Capitalize Active in all cases. [-1.5 points]
- "Between turns" was deprecated as of Sword and Shield. The correct term is "during Pokemon Checkup". [-1 point]
- Capitalize Knocked Out in all cases. [-1 point]
- "And all cards attached to it" was deprecated as of Sword and Shield. The correct term is "all attached cards". [-1 point]
Hide And Seek
- Don't capitalize "and" in the attack name. [-1 point]
- In SWSH era, if an attack does damage to both the opponent's Active and Benched Pokemon, you must say this attack also does the bench damage. [-1 point]
- You can pretty much copy the wording from Moomoo Cheese for this attack. [-1 point]
- Period missing in the reminder text. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(It would probably supplant Greninja as the "default" Radiant in a deck. It's a neat idea, but it doesn't really inspire me.)
Wording: 0.5/15
(Be more careful. Look up cards in the same area to make sure your references are accurate, and don't forget you need that accented é in your entries. Join our Discord - we'll be glad to help you in this regard!)
Believability/Playability: 15/15
(This could easily slot into any deck with no issues.)
Total: 31.5/50
Litwick HP: 60 [R]
Basic
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/bw/litwick.png

NO. 0607 Candle Pokémon HT: 1' WT: 6.8 lbs.
[R] Aftersoul Fires
Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Burned. If this Pokémon is in your discard pile, you can also use this attack by putting 1 Basic [R] Energy card in your discard pile into the Lost Zone. If you use this attack this way, the Defending Pokémon is now Burned and Poisoned.

[R][C] Hexed Flame 20+
This attack does 20 more damage for each Special Condition affecting the Defending Pokémon.

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance:

The flame on its head keeps its body slightly warm. This Pokémon takes lost children by the hand to guide them into the spirit world.
My Thoughts
Attacking directly with a card from the discard pile is kinda hard to balance, especially because we don't know how that would work. Would you consider the attack paid for if the appropriate Energy were in the discard pile? Paid from hand directly? Free to use? Do you have to pay the attack cost and LZ another Energy since the attack said so?

As someone who's been making cards that can attack from the Bench long before Alakazam ex could, I'm a big fan of unorthodox attacking methods. However, with this card, I feel like asking all these questions about how to balance attacking from the discard pile are largely irrelevant because at the end of the day, it's just a Litwick. It would probably become the Litwick of choice in Chandelure decks but since it doesn't even help either of the existing Chandelure, even that distinction isn't that great. Additionally, attacking with Litwick means you are not attacking with Chandelure or anything else.

If your strategy is to stall with Snorlax or something, is it really worth it to build the rest of your deck around trolling with dead Litwick? Aftersoul Fires, even when used from the Lost Zone, is not that debilitating an attack. And if you're going to whittle my HP down while I am unable to retreat, then I'll eventually die or find a way to escape the lock and start attacking. You will never take six Prizes by doing 10-30 damage a turn.

Improving this card would not require many changes. Having it actually support Chandelure would work wonders. Maybe something that devolves your own Pokemon to proc Mountain Roasting over and over? Or an attack that puts Litwick back onto your Bench while accelerating your opponent's Energy for Combustion Chain? There are many things you can do.

Wording errors:
Aftersoul Fires
- No need to use "Defending Pokemon" here; "your opponent's Active Pokemon" is correct. [-2 points]
- Cards are put from your discard pile in the Lost Zone. (Rotom V) [-2 points]

Creativity/Originality: 14/20
(I like where your head is at with this card, but unfortunately it isn't particularly inspiring.)
Wording: 11/15
(Not many errors.)
(Yeah, it'd probably be the Litwick of choice, but that's not a high bar to clear. As its own attacker, it is also lackluster.)
Total: 38/50
[STAGE1] Crocalor HP90 [R]
Evolves from Fuecoco

vuM_A04iSRkKYviJ6eF9AbiFfAF8mNewWKhMujS8uE5w5peOwtCIj_H4qtxGoqVyD0m6Fmk9-el5Iqp9A-2gE4E844WakaolbHV8ZfJ20kj5M03nz_JmRRLQwoP4CTfjlQ9ZWB6b_fiLxhDZANPhwgQ

NO. 0910 Fire Croc Pokémon HT: 3’3” WT: 67.7 lbs.

[ABILITY] Warm-Up Blaze
When you play a Pokémon from your hand to evolve this Pokémon during your turn, you may put up to 2 Basic [R] Energy cards from your discard pile into your hand.

[R][C] Flaming Overture 50
If you have 5 or more Prize cards remaining, search your deck for up to 3 Basic [R] Energy cards and attach them to your Benched [R] Pokémon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck.

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C]
[G] [NJP] 007 (Pr)
The valve in Crocalor’s flame sac is closely connected to its vocal cords. This Pokémon utters a guttural cry as it spews flames every which way.
My Thoughts
I like it. It's good to choose a Pokemon to make better and Skeledirge ex is a great candidate, although cards like Klara and [Super] Energy Retrieval take the wind out of Crocalor's sails a bit. That said, in a format where fortifying your evolution line with Stage 1s is commonplace, having a good Crocalor can make all the difference.

Flaming Overture is a pretty good attack. It has to be, to incentivize you to attack with it. Still, though, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather just Rare Candy and start swinging. There are ways to get Energy in the discard; Kirlia, Ultra Ball, and Earthen Vessel are just a few. Warm-Up Blaze is good insurance, and Flaming Overture is by no means bad, but... meh. I guess I'd rather have it than not. I'm trying to compare it to Cresselia CRE and how Crescent Glow is only good on turn 1 and that makes me feel a bit better about Flaming Overture.

I am surprised at its inability to attach Energy to a Benched Skeledirge ex, given that this card exists to buff it.

Wording errors:
Warm-Up Blaze
- The reason that Alakazam-EX says "before it evolves" is because once you evolve, Alakazam-EX isn't in play to use its Ability anymore. You need the same text here as well. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
(You sought to buff a specific card and accomplished that goal nicely. Abilities that activate when evolving is largely unexplored design space.)
Wording: 14/15
(Almost had it...)
(It would definitely be used as the Crocalor of choice. Maybe its existence would actually put Skeledirge ex on the map?)
Total: 46/50
Pumpkaboo – Psychic – HP 60
Basic
X7vWCqEboqPlYn3Tre-EAR_bjQmSkTuVm17bpe9471G-eiSWpOntHZ7_DSU-I9iASaIb1yYPtx7RTLxV9SurU2PaTUxuASGb7i-vlDDMBdZBfrgSOR15qMUFHqQ_1mv1skmOQgm_roRKSnQOQDiQx3s

NO. 710 Pumpkin Pokémon HT: 1’04” WT: 11 lbs.

Ability: Psychic Gathering
Once during your turn, (before you attack), you may search your deck for a [P] Pokémon for each Gourgeist you have in play, shuffle your deck, then put those Pokémon on top of it in any order.

[C] Pumpkin Pass 10
Draw a card. Switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: Dark (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-30)
It is said to carry wandering spirits to the place where they belong so they can move on.
My Thoughts
Any card that exists to help my girl Gourgeist take over Standard is something I am down for. Let's see how you did.

Being able to pull your Psychic Pokemon directly to the top of your deck is very useful to guarantee Pandemonium damage. Having all of your Gourgeist in play is kind of a tall order, though, and more often than not you'll still be stuck rolling the dice and hoping you get a kill. I also think that Psychic Gathering is useful as a Pokemon retrieval option - stack some Pokemon on the top, draw into them, and go from there. Pretty cool.

Will this make Gourgeist the BDIF? Not at all. In fact, I doubt that Pumpkaboo goes far enough. I'd change it to allow for a flat 3 Psychic Pokemon to the top with no other conditions. Not only will this allow you consistent damage with Pandemonium, but it also lets Pumpkaboo act in a better role as a general support mon for any purple decks.

Wording errors:
General
- Height should be 1'4", not 1'04" [-1 point]
Psychic Gathering
- "before your attack" was deprecated as of Sword & Shield. [-1 point]
- Don't forget, any time you pull specific card types from your deck, you have to reveal them before you can put them back on top. [-1 point]
Pumpkin Pass
- Always use numerals (1, not one) [-One point]

(It's a great start but doesn't go far enough to actually help the card you sought to assist.)
Wording: 11/15
(A number of silly mistakes. Make sure to double check before submitting!)
(Sure.)
Rapidash – [R] – HP 90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Ponyta

NO. 078 Fire Horse Pokémon HT: 5'07" WT: 209.4 lbs.

Ability: Fire Dash
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon was on the Bench and became your Active Pokémon this turn, you may attach a [R] Energy card from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

[R][R] Blowback Burner: 30×
Move all [R] Energy from this Pokémon to 1 of your Benched Pokémon. This attack does 30 damage times the amount of Energy you moved in this way.

Weakness: [W]×2
Resistance:
Retreat:
Very competitive, this Pokémon will chase anything that moves fast in the hopes of racing it.
My Thoughts
The XY Iron Valiant? I dig it.

In theory, this is super cool, but in practice, I worry about its usefulness. I love the visual of a bunch of Rapidash running around powering themselves up, passing Energy to each other and powering up super powerful attacks. What I do not love the visual of is one of those Rapidash getting picked off and resetting the chain back to nothing. Just like Iron Valiant, this card struggles later on after you've exhausted a lot of your switching options and a well-timed Lysandre can pretty much be GGs right there.

Wording errors:
Fire Dash
- A reminder to be careful with your references. If your card is meant to exist specifically before the release of Evolutions, don't use cards from Evolutions as references. Luckily, this wording exists pre-Arcanine EVO, so you're all good here. [-0 points]

Creativity/Originality: 18/20
(Very thematic Pokemon choice. It's interesting to have Iron Valiant in XY era; all the Trainers you'd need for it to function exist. I might be tempted to give it a try.)
Wording: 15/15
(Did you get worried for a second there?)
(It might not be S tier, but it's certainly usable.)
Total: 48/50
Pecharunt– – HP70
Basic Pokémon

View attachment 18827
NO. 1025 Subyugation Pokémon HT: 1’00” WT: 0.7 lbs.

Ability: Mochi Mayhem
Once during your turn, you may put a card face down from your hand onto your Bench. As long as a card remains face down in this way, that card is a 30-HP Basic [C] Pokémon with "Mochi" in its name, it can't be affected by any Special Conditions, it can't retreat, and if that card is Knocked Out, your opponent can't take any Prize cards for it. At any time during your turn, you may turn it face up. Then, if it is not a Basic Pokémon, discard it from play. If you put any cards onto your Bench in this way, put this Pokémon in the Lost Zone. (Discard all attached cards.)

[C] Malignant Deal
Search your deck for up to 3 basic Energy cards and attach them to your Pokémon that has “Mochi” in its name in any way you like. During your opponent’s next turn, if this Pokémon is Knocked Out, your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Confused and Poisoned.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance:
It feeds others toxic mochi that draw out desires and capabilities. Those who eat the mochi fall under Pecharunt’s control, chained to its will.
My Thoughts
Bringing LSSP to Standard is an interesting idea, although I think you might have gone the wrong direction with Malignant Deal. The way I see it, if you're playing a control deck, you're not going to be running very many Energy in the first place, and if you're not, accelerating three Energy is a pretty dead giveaway that you're not bluffing. There isn't much reason to sacrifice two Pecharunt and your attachment for turn otherwise.

If you're gonna insist on leaning into the mochi aspect of Pecharunt's design, I would rather see something where the opponent has to make some choice and if they choose one way then you force something out of them. Something that illustrates Pecharunt's command over those who eat its mochi.

Wording errors:
General
- Type is missing [-1 point]
- Subjugation is misspelled [-1 point]
- Use 1', not 1'00", in SV era [-1 point]
Mochi Mayhem
- Lt. Surge's Secret Plan has an essay's worth of text and even if you find a way to shorten it, all of it is required. You don't have the room to fit all of it on this card and still have room for an attack. You might not have enough room for it at all, come to think of it. There are also some unrelated wording errors but since you need to rewrite most of this I am just gonna give you a blanket penalty. [-3 points]
Malignant Deal
- Capitalize Basic in all instances [-1 point]
- Missing instruction to shuffle the deck afterward [-1 point]
- When something happens in the future, the affected Pokemon will be affected instead of is affected. (Chimecho SIT) [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 15/20
(I'm not sure that the mind games from LSSP would be very effective in today's metagame. Also, I think there could have been better Pokemon than Pecharunt chosen for this.)
Wording: 7/15
(Make sure you double check your entry before you submit!)
(The acceleration is strong but it's questionable whether or not it's worth jumping through the hoops required to do it.)
Total: 35/50
Palafin - HP 90 - [W]
Stage 1, Evolves from Finizen
View attachment 18828
NO. 0964 Dolphin Pokémon HT: 4'03'' WT: 132.7 lbs.

(Ability): Zero to Hero

As long as you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent, this Pokémon gets +90HP and its attacks do 90 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W] - Justice Always Prevails 60+
If any of your Pokémon were Knocked Out during your opponent’s last turn, this attack does 60 more damage.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]
Its physical capabilities are no different than a Finizen’s, but when its allies are in danger, it transforms and powers itself up.
My Thoughts
It's kinda strange to see a Zero Form Palafin card, but I'm here for it. Nice job getting the Pokedex stats right.

Stupidly powerful moves on the cheap is Palafin's whole thing, and in that regard, you've pretty much nailed it. The only problem is that Zero Form Palafin has no business doing all this damage. Everything about this card screams Hero Form; it would be like if you made a Solo Form Wishiwashi that did School Form damage. Wishiwashi EVS is a Solo Form card that can sort of "turn into" a School Form Wishiwashi, but Zero Form Palafin is always weak. That's why all the Palafin card art has Hero Form. It's not really meant to fight in Zero Form.

Anyway, I still think this is pretty cool, but that two Retreat Cost is heinous.

Wording errors:
Zero to Hero
- If you have more Prize cards... (Defiance Vest) [-1 point]
- 90 HP, not 90HP [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 15/20
(It's a Zero Form Palafin that does Hero Form things. It's interesting, but not that interesting at the end of the day.)
Wording: 13/15
(Almost perfect...)
(I'm giving you a slight ding in Believability for this, but it's perfectly playable.)
Manaphy - W - 90HP
Basic -
Amazing Rare
Spr_4p_490.png

Ability: Ocean's Blessing
When you play a Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may attach an Energy card from your hand to that Pokémon. You can't apply more than 1 Ocean's Blessing Ability at a time.

[W][P][G] Amazing Gift
Search your deck for up to 5 cards and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]
Born on a cold seafloor, it will swim great distances to return to its birthplace.
My Thoughts
Ocean's Blessing is an S-tier Ability, and what a blessing it is. Forget Amazing Gift, this is one hell of a Bench sitter. It might be better on a Radiant Pokemon instead. Cutting down all your attachments by one turn is a huge bonus.

That's really all there is to say about it. Yeah whatever Amazing Gift gets you cards or whatever, what's really amazing is this Ability.

Wording errors:
Ocean's Blessing
- When you put a Pokemon from your hand... [-1 point]
- Ocean's Blessing has to be used, so you have to say you can't use more than 1 Ocean's Blessing Ability each turn. [-1 point]
Amazing Gift
- Attack cost should be GWP, not WPG (correct order is GRWLPFDMYNC) [-1 point]

(A fantastic card, and definitely new design space, but not particularly inspiring in and of itself.)
Wording: 12/15
(Check those references.)
(It's amazing.)

3rd Place: doofisconfused’s Manaphy, with 43/50 points.
2nd Place: NinJamezor’s Crocalor, with 46/50 points.
1st Place: Kaleidophoenix’s Rapidash, with 48/50 points.

Back