It Will Rain

Joeypals!!

Do you loooooves me? <3
Hello everyone, Joey here typing in blue for once! Today, I'll be posting my team that has done me pretty well over on the Pokemon Online server (I checked and all the same threats apply), winning me a few live tournaments. I know the team has some issues with stall, but besides that, I believe it's a pretty good team. As a result of me playing with this team alot and knowing the issues, think of it as a "copy and adapt" team. That is, you may copy it and change the team to fit your style if need be. Now, let's get to the analysis, shall we?

Team at a Glance

Spr_5b_186_f_s.png
Spr_5b_184_s.png
Spr_5b_302_s.png
Spr_5b_212_f_s.png
Spr_5b2_642T_s.png
Spr_5b_637_s.png

A Closer Look

Spr_5b_186_f_s.png

Politoed @Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252SpAtk/252Spd/4HP

Moves:
~Hydro Pump
~Ice Beam
~Focus Blast
~Hidden Power [Grass]

What's a rain team in OU these days without the frog prince, right? Completely forgotten in the competitive world until being given the savior ability Drizzle, this frog has turned into a pretty solid competitive threat. The main move you'll be using on this guy is Hydro Pump, being powerful enough with double STAB (this means STAB from type and double the power from the weather. Most commonly used with Kyogre's Water Spout) and thus being able to clear out anything that doesn't resist or isn't named Chansey/Blissey for at least a 2HKO. I thought about changing the item to specs multiple times, but in the end, the scarf was too good to pass up with it's suprise affect and ability to outspeed Jirachi and non-scarfed variants of Terrakion, both of which can be a massive issue in their own rights. You then have Ice Beam, mainly for Dragonite, Latios, and for coverage. Together, Hydro Pump and Ice Beam is not resisted by any type, making the combo very effective. The other moves you won't use nearly as much, but are simply to help out with coverage. Focus Blast helps take care of Ferrothorn and Tyranitar (Ttar when Sand is raging) and HP Grass is mainly just for other Politoed and very rare Pokemon in the OU game like, per say, Quagsire.

Spr_5b_184_s.png

Azumarill @Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252Atk/252SpDef/4HP

Moves:
~Aqua Jet
~Waterfall
~Ice Punch
~Superpower

If you're fooled by this bunny's cute appearances, you are surely underestimating the wrong Pokemon on this team. Let's just start with the fact that it gets a 694 attack stat with it's current layout off the bat. That kind of power can't be messed with as this stat goes even higher than a Scizor with a Choice Band. Anyway, besides that major accomplishment, this set is pretty generic. Aqua Jet will mainly be used as it receives double STAB thanks to the rain and has priority. It'll do a pretty sizable chunk to anything that doesn't resist it, but for things that do, a hit from this bunny won't be taken lightly (ex. Aqua Jet on Latios will create a 2HKO or close 3HKO). The rest is mainly for more power/coverage. If your opponent is slower and you don't want to lower your stats (ex. Chansey or Tyranitar in the rain), Waterfall is the move you'll go to. Dragons will take a hard hit from the bunny's ice-cold Ice Punch (Dragonite gets 2HKO'd) while Ferrothorn and Chansey fall victim to the all-powerful Superpower. Like I said, you'll mainly use Aqua Jet, so only use the other three moves if necessary. The odd EV spread is due to Azumarill's bigger problems being Special Attackers (Thundurus-T, Rotom-W, Latios and Latias). If you feel that Physical Attackers are more of a problem (though Azumarill or a teammate can handle most of them), feel free to swap the Sp Def EVs to Def.

Spr_5b_302_s.png

Sableye @Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252Def/252SpDef/4HP
Moves:
~Confuse Ray
~Will-O-Wisp
~Taunt
~Recover

Before I go into analyzing the little gem goblin, I would like to remind some of you about Sableye's relevance. It's been relevant ever since Prankster Sableye (aka "Haxleye") was released, so quit with the claims of "this ugly little thing hasn't been relevant since Gen III and wasn't liked then, so why is he in a movie now??".

Now that I got that little rant out of the way, Haxleye here may be the most irritating, yet most OU-viable of all the UU Pokemon. This particular set-up I created (I've been on my own since leaving Team Dimensional, so don't claim I stole this set if it is somewhere) is all about taking hits, laughing them off with Recover, and simply watching the opponents suffer. All of the moves are self-explanatory, so I'll just explain how effective this thing can be.

As we all know (or should know), hax/crits can turn a game onto it's head at any point. I'm not exactly for hax and don't want to rely on it to win, but Sableye is one of the best c*ck-blocks in the metagame. Have an irritating Dragonite in your way? Burn it with Will-O-Wisp. Have an annoying staller like Ferrothorn? Taunt it and burn it. The use for this thing is endless and saying as all the moves are status moves, I cannot go on without repeating myself.

Spr_5b_212_f_s.png

Scizor @Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252Atk/252Def/4HP
Moves:
~Bullet Punch
~U-Turn
~Pursuit
~Superpower

Choice Band Scizor... Need I say more? The thing is extremely explanatory as it was since Gen IV, so for the experienced players, skip past this guy since he's the same as the rest. For newer players, read on.

OK, so Scizor basically uses Bullet Punch most of the time. This is due to the fact that it gets STAB on top of it's Technician ability, making for a powerful priority move. The rest you won't be using unless you face an issue. Use U-Turn if Jellicent or a slower Psychic like Slowbro gets in your way. Use Pursuit on any faster Psychic that you feel will switch out, such as Latios with a Choice Scarf after a Draco Meteor. Superpower will basically be for your Special walls, such as Ferrothorn and pink blobs 1 & 2, aka Chansey and Blissey. Nothing else really to say about a Pokemon that's been on numerous teams due to it's high effectiveness and easy-to-learn behavior... Plus it's had this set since Gen IV and we're almost in Gen VI now.

Spr_5b2_642T_s.png

Thundurus-T @Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Modest
Moves:
~Thunder
~Focus Blast
~Psychic
~Hidden Power [Ice]

Ah yes, the electric genie has 4-move syndrome. You may be thinking "Why Psychic?" and here's my answer to that: with everything that I have to worry about (Terrakion switched in, Dragonite, the Lati twins, sun teams, ect), it eventually turns into a "Why not?". It simply provides more coverage against more Pokemon alongside already self-explanatory moves (Thunder for STAB and to get Water Types hard along with a paralysis chance, Focus Blast for Ttar and steel types, Hidden Power for dragons). Only thing really to say besides that is it is a decent Rotom-W check thanks to his ability.

Spr_5b_637_s.png

Volcarona @Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Timid
Moves:
~Quiver Dance
~Flamethrower
~Bug Buzz
~Hurricane

"Volcarona with a Focus Sash and not Leftovers AND Hurricane instead of Hidden Power Ground AND on a rain team?? Madness!" Actually, random rage-o-holic that lays in my mind who is probably real somewhere, it's anything but madness in the negative sense. Volcarona often serves as my alternative lead, going out into the fray before Skarmory or other stally leads can set up Stealth Rocks and thus keeping full health. Also, as Dragonite does need to be checked constantly by this team as it is a big counter once set up or with Multiscale in effect, Hurricane is the only way to hit it for neutral damage while still having something to deal with common threats such as Jellicent and Heatran. The other two moves are completely standard, rain or shine.

Well, there's my team, feel free to rate it, critique it, and copy & edit it as you desire.

Hi Joeypals!! Welcome back (/late) and a couple of quick things about your team.

On Scizor, I would tweak the EV spread up a bit. First, change the 252 Defense Evs into 248 HP EVs. Scizor has literally almost the same exact physical bulk, although HP will help out in Special bulk as well. If you need proof, here are some calcs:
[20:53:49] <TDL> 252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 195-231 (56.85 - 67.34%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
[20:54:06] <TDL> 252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Scizor: 154-183 (54.8 - 65.12%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, Terrakion only does 2% more when you run HP EVs instead of Defense EVs, so running HP Would be better, since it helps special bulk as well as physical bulk. The remaining 8 EVs are usually placed into Secial Defense for Scizor, since it switches into a lot of special attacks. (like Draco Meteor.)

On Thundurus-T, I see no reason to use Psychic. The things it hits super-effectively, like Tentacruel, Toxicroak, and Terrakion are already hit super-effectively by another move. The only exceptions are really frail Pokémon (like Toxicroak) that would take heavy damage from Thunder already. I think if you switched Psychic to either Volt Switch, Nasty Plot, or Agility, it would give you much more potential.

I would recommend replacing Azumarill with Starmie for a couple of reasons. First off, it's a Water-type, that loves to have Hydro Pump boosted by rain. Second off, you run 2 pokemon that are weak to Stealth Rock, so they could really use the Rapid Spin support. I'd try a set of:
[animate]starmie[/animate] @Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spe
~Hydro Pump
~Ice Beam
~Rapid Spin
~Thunderbolt/Recover

Starmie can keep Stealth Rock away pretty easily, as the only spinblockers in the tier (Jellicent and Gengar) can't safely switch into Starmie's power.

On Volcarona, I would suggest switching Flamethrower to Fire Blast. Since you put rain up, Flamethrower actually will not OHKO Ferrothorn. Even if you used an offensive item like Life Orb, you would still only OHKO it half the time. Fire Blast will hit things like Ferrothorn and Skarmory much harder. I would also suggest switching the item to either Leftovers or Life Orb, as both are more beneficial to Volcarona, either from a perspective of bulk, or a perspective of power.

Lastly, I'd suggest dropping Sableye for Ferrothorn. On this team right now, you don't use any entry hazards at all, and Stealth Rock is a must on every OU team. It makes powerful sweepers like Volcarona and Dragonite much much easier to deal with. The rest of the moves are pretty interchangeable. Power Whip is pretty mandatory, but last 2 can switch off between Leech Seed, Protect, Thunder Wave, and Gyro Ball.

Thanks for the critique TPO3!

Scizor's and Thundurus-T's changes are happily noted. As I haven't been on a laptop for months, I can't make the changes myself, thus why this is "copy and alter".

As for the change of Azumarill to Starmie and Sableye to Ferrothorn, I'll start by saying I see what you are saying with the changes, but they just don't work for my play style. If I had Starmie, I would then be left with 4 Special Attackers (since my style is Hyper Offense for the most part), one Physical attacker, and (assuming I added Ferrothorn as well), bulky attacker. This style just does not work for my taste as I like having a 3-2-1 format when involving something like Sableye or a simple 3-3 of Physical to Special attackers. And, as I said before, I'm geared towards Hyper Offense, thus I would not be able to pull Ferrothorn, let alone any staller, off well (I've tried before, so this isn't an excuse).

In the end, this is a "copy and alter" team since I can't fix it myself at this point of time, but I do commend you for pointing out these flaws and trying to make my team even better. :)

To go further off on TPO3's point about EVs, it's best to learn how to fully maximize your defensive EVs. Let's look at that Scizor again by using a simple method to calculate your overall defenses through simple multiplication:

Your spread (4 HP, 252 Def, 0 SpDef):
282 (HP) * 299 (Defense) = 84,318
282 (HP) * 196 (Sp. Def) = 55,272

Normal spread (248 HP, 0 Def, 0 SpDef):
343 (HP) * 226 (Defense) = 77,518
343 (HP) * 196 (Sp. Def) = 67,228

As you can see, Scizor lost about 9% physical bulk, but instead picked up 22% more special bulk. The same is also true for Azumarril and Sableye, who both pick up far more efficient defenses by investing in HP and then their defenses. In Azumarril's case, it would rather have mixed bulk via HP to take hits better on both sides of the spectrum. In Sableye's case, its low HP holds back the rest of Sableye's potential, as explained below:

Your spread (Bold 4 HP, 252 Def, 252 SpDef):
242 (HP) * 273 (Defense) = 66,066
242 (HP) * 229 (Sp. Def) = 55,418

Normal spread (Calm 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SpDef):
304 (HP) * 216 (Defense) = 65,664
304 (HP) * 220 (Sp. Def) = 66,880

With this, Sableye reaches far better mixed defenses at the cost of less than 1% of physical bulk. Hopefully this informed you a little better on how to fully take advantage of your defensive EVs. ^_^

I agree with all of TPO3's changes, however I recommend a Defensive Rapid Spin set with Timid, Leftovers, 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 Speed, and Scald / Psyshock / Rapid Spin / Recover. This allows you to take on Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion better while also providing a consistent Rapid Spin throughout the match. Another thing I'd recommend is changing Volcarona to Mixed Rain Dragonite with Mild, Life Orb, 76 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 180 Speed, and Hurricane / Thunder / Aqua Tail / Roost. This goes well with Starmie as they both remove problems that each other face. Dragonite can also open up holes for an Agility Thundurus-T sweep later in the game

I'll definitely think about Dragonite and I've gotta study that formula for the future. Thanks very much! I would comment on the rest, but TPO3 already said it lol.

Looks great overall! In experience with Scizor, I can definitely agree that the HP bulk goes well, but I think we're all good in this department.

Just two notes:
Unless you intend to switch to Starmie, you're running Choice Band on both Scizor and Azumarill. I had the same problem and ended up giving Azumarill a Life Orb.
In VGC, the format is obviously doubles. I don't know what format you play with this (sorry if I missed it), but in the case of doubles, you could consider Heat Wave on Volcarona. But frankly, Dragonite is simply more bulky and gains pseudo-STAB aqua tail in the rain, whereas Volcarona's heat wave is just hampered by the rain. I can second unsheathed's Dragonite set.

Back