BW/BW2 iSharingan's Guide to Dream Radar Use

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid
I have noticed a serious lack of guides for the Dream Radar that describe it in any detail, so I decided to write one. This is my first guide, so it's bound to have some flaws (any help touching it up is appreciated). I originally posted this on another site, but since you were building your own set of guides here, I figured I might as well bring this here too. :D

The official Pokemon website said:
Play the Pokémon Dream Radar game, a Nintendo 3DS exclusive title in the Nintendo eShop. Pokémon Dream Radar is a motion-controlled shooting game where, using Augmented Reality technology, you chase down Pokémon that appear in the Interdream Zone! The game uses some of the coolest features of the Nintendo 3DS system, including the 3D camera and gyro sensor.

You can find many Pokémon in Pokémon Dream Radar, including Pokémon that are otherwise very hard to get. Then, you can send the Pokémon you obtain to your copy of Pokémon Black Version 2 or Pokémon White Version 2 for the Nintendo DS™ system, giving you even more ways to fill up your Pokédex!

The Legendary trio of Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus show up in all-new Formes in Pokémon Dream Radar. The appearance of these three Pokémon in Therian Forme is very different from their traditional Incarnate Forme.

This wonderful app from Game Freak has great potential, but can be hard to use. With this guide, you will be maxing out your equipment in no time, catching pokemon without fail, and raking in dream orbs like they were cranberries on a lake (not the best metaphor, but you get the picture)

Dream Orbs and the Laser

The first thing you want to do is find a nice open area where you can move around. A spinning office chair is recommended, but not required (just stand in an open area if you don't have an office chair to use).

Lighting is just as important; if the surroundings are too bright, you won't be able to see the dream orbs etc. I personally use the dream radar in a fairly open room illuminated by a single 3-way lamp on the lowest setting (a dark room is not advised as it may cause eye strain with extended use).

Collecting Dream Orbs and Proper Timing

Most important for maximizing use of the dream radar is collecting dream orbs. These strange spheres act not only as the currency in the game, but also as event triggers (once you have collected enough "lifetime" dream orbs, you will gain access to new searching extensions).

When popping Dream clouds, watch carefully to see what cloud is closer than the others. This will help minimize the accidental popping of other clouds and the loss of precious dream orbs. Before you start blasting away at the nearest cloud though, notice how the pink clouds tend to grow and shrink.

If you shoot the cloud when it is small, it will only break into 3 orbs. While this isn't bad, there is a better way. If the cloud is hit when at it's largest, it will become 5 orbs (a shot mid-shift will yield 4 orbs). when either 4 or 5 orbs appear from a single cloud, the last one shot will split into 3 more. these 3 will have a shorter lifespan than the previous round. If all 3 of thee are shot, the last will split into 3 more.

The maximum orbs from a single pink cloud (assuming it broke into 5 orbs) is 17 (5+3+3+3+3).

Accuracy is not entirely required in this game. If your shot misses a cloud or an orb, but swings across one before the laser animation vanishes, it will count as a hit (though, you lose time doing this a lot). This means you only have to predict the general direction one of the orbs will fly when an orb or cloud splits. you will also notice that hamming on the 'A' button can't keep up wit the rate the orbs vanish on the second and third orb split. To make it to the last split nearly every time, start holding the 'A' button when you shoot the last orb that appeared directly from the cloud. There will be a slight pause, then the laser will start auto-firing somewhat faster in a steady rhythm.

Mastery of timing and predicting will lead to quick and easy collection of dream orbs.

The Development Lab

So you now have some dream orbs and are wondering what to do with them. What you shouldn't do is go spend them on whatever you can afford in the Development Lab. Plan your purchases. The first step should be to upgrade your visor, as this will increase how many dream clouds can appear. Simple math points out that more Dream clouds = more Dream Orbs = more stuff you can buy. I recommend upgrading your visor twice before buying anything else.

You don't really need to upgrade your Energy since plenty of time is given to catch pokemon anyway (and this has no effect on how long orbs will hang around). The powerup items are also a waste of dream orbs early on in the game, so don't bother until you unlock the extension for catching Therian Landorus.

Catching Pokemon

As you probably know by now, catching pokemon on the dream radar is nothing like anything you have ever done (unless you played Pokemon Snap!). To get a chance to catch a pokemon, you will need to shoot one of the yellow dream clouds. These appear as the fifth cloud in every multiple of 5 dream clouds for the Basic Extension. These will become one of three things: a Pokemon (a bright orb that moves around), an Item orb (looks just like a Pokemon Orb), or 4 Dream Orbs. To catch a pokemon (or item), shoot the glowing ball until the bar at the top of the screen fills up (the pokemon will get away if you run out of time). You can lose time by being "hit" by small energy balls the big light ball shoots occasionally, but these can be eliminated by either shooting them or trapping the big orb in the laser. Once the orb has been hit by the laser, it will not be able to break free until the laser touches the edge of the screen. You do not have to keep it perfectly centered, but try to stay close.

If a pokemon should break free (and believe me, it happens to the best of us) just relax and wait for it to finish spazzing out. Some Pokemon orbs (like the one for swablu) will vanish entirely at times. when this happens, stay calm and aim in one direction. when it re-appears, you'll either see it, or an arrow will appear at the side of the screen pointing to it. This is when you should start chasing it again.

Backing Up Your Data

While you can't send more than one of each therian or 4th-gen mascot legend to any one game, you can still make a copy of your SD card data for later use. All you need is an SD card reader. Just copy the entire contents of the SD card into a folder on your computer and you can load it back on the card later to send the pokemon to another cartridge later. This way you won't have to reset and unlock everything
a second time if you own both Black 2 and White 2.

I suggest saving a backup in 5 main places: the very beginning (no progress), each time you unlock a new Eureka extension, and lastly right after you send Landorus to your game. this way you can go back to any major point you want to have the best chance of catching the pokemon you want (since pokemon like Riolu and Driffloon become exceptionally rare as the later therians are caught)

This Guide is a Work in Progress

As such, I welcome you to point out anything I may have missed. I know I'm not perfect and there very well may be more I can add to make this guide more thorough.​

Nice work! I've added it to the Index of In-Game Guides: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-the-index-of-in-game-guides

iSharingan said:
Just copy the entire contents of the SD card into a folder on your computer and you can load it back on the card later to send the pokemon to another cartridge later.

Is there any way to pinpoint what folder the Dream Radar data is in? It'd be better to copy it rather than the whole card so as to not overwrite Extra Data (Nintendo Video stuff, Swapnotes, SpotPass features) and newly downloaded software when restoring a backup. I suppose you'd be all right if the merge doesn't overwrite new things, but there's still save data for eShop games in jeopardy.

Most of the files on the SD card are small (I even downloaded the Pokedex 3D Pro and it's only a couple hundred megabytes). Using one of the backups is supposed to be temporary (load the backup, use it, then but the most recent data back on). I suppose you could find the specific data by making a backup then deleting everything except the DR from the SD card just to see what files are left, but I still recommenced backing up the whole card just so you don't have to deal with the folders and files which are all named with hexadecimal addresses (also most of the data files won't even show up when you enable "show hidden files" in your folder options). It's not like you cant back up your current SD card data before loading one of the other backups. I usually just copy all the current files into a new folder, delete the originals from the SD card, and load the backups. Wen I'm done, I just erase the SD card data again and put the latest files back on the card.

I unlocked the first Eureka extension, but is it worth it to use it right away or should I hold off for a while? I have already captured 3 Riolu, 1 Swablu, and a couple Munna.

If you plan to RNG the Tornadus, it's best to wait if you only have one game. If you have multiple games (ie: both Black 2 and White 2) just back up your SD card and only send Tornadus to one of your games. You can RNG Tornadus on the other game later. The further you progress in the Dream radar, the better the items are that you can find. Some of the pokemon later on have not-so-useful abilities or are not a very useful species period (like the masses of Igglybuff and Ralts that plague me, which are useless to my normal play-throughs due to the shallow level-up movepool of the first's line and the useless Telepathy ability [for the predominant singles format battles] on the latter).

I have both b2 and w2. :) I've never RNG'd before so I probably won't be able to get a perfect Tornadus.

Well RNGing them is a bit tricky. The IVs and Nature are determined by two disjoint frame progression sequences. For some types of RNG abuse, slit frame progressions can be advanced independantly, making desirable pokemon easier to get with the ideal nature and the desired IVs, but for the Dream Radar both frame progressions are advanced at the same time by the same amount (usually 2 frames at a time) so a pent flawless spread rarely has the nature you want. To complicate matters, you really have to know what you're doing to do it on Reporter since there's not a built in function for it (you have to use timefinder for IVs, the main page - using a different encounter type - for nature, and the researcher for the spinner directions). I've only succeeded twice on legendaries (I failed abut 2-4 times before each success. I only succeeded in the end because I have a device to back up/restore saves on my retail cartridges). RNG abuse in general isn't too hard in gen 5, but B2/W2 have 6 timer zeros minimum and breeding RNG is 'broken' while B1/W1 only have 2 timer zeros. On a side note, it is possible to RNG an egg on B1/W1 then trade it to one of the sequels thus giving it the new game's OT. To RNG a shiny there, just use the Trainer IDs (TID and the hidden SID) of the target game since they only determine whether a PID will be shiny or not in gen 5 (in prior generations the TID & SID affected what possible seeds would generate. For example, a ID of 00000/00000 would give a different seed than 01234/56789 would for the same time setting [and other parameters] in gen 4 games. Gen 3 games did not have date detection, so the RNG was more rigid in some cicumstances, like Emerald version, and virtually impossible to abuse in others, like FR and LG).

Back