Is the cartoon even any good any more?

novadragon07

Lost in my own mind, please send help...
Is it just me or has the cartoon become somewhat of a joke. The first season was not totally horrible and they did not spend years trying to get from one gym to another. Johto was a great season when they did not waste episodes going a short distance from one gym to another. Plus the johto conference was just great it some of the best battles to have appeared on that show. Then we got advanced and it really slumped. It just felt so long and drawn out we had 20 million episodes dedicated to pikachu getting stolen and ash getting him back, in fact if you want the master script for the series here it is.
Ash: Team Rocket (who has been disbanded) give back pikachu!!
Team Rocket: No.
Ash: Pikachu thunderbolt
Pikachu: pika
Team Rocket: We are blasting off again.

And that about sums it up. Now imagine a gym battle after which you have 20 epeisodes just like that and then a contest 10 more episodes and then another gym battle. I actually hate the cartoon because of this they never get anything done and the episodes all end with the announcer saying and our heros are one step closer to thier goals (whatever those are).

Does anyone else find these new episodes devoid of anything interesting anymore or is just me.

The show became bad when Ash gave Gliscor away. The show has been getting very bad. Ever since Hoenn, I think. I mean, as you pointed out, the result is the SAME EXACT thing every time. TR does something bad, Ash+co. come over, TR goes flying. Unoriginal.

Ash became like a complete moron, and a little bit... weird (like the time he chose to dress in a Maid's clothes.) Dawn is just a dumb, and Brock... what happens to him is still unoriginal. The voice acting is also really bad, and the battles haven't been getting much more exciting.

Overall, the show gets worse and worse every episode.

I do remember hearing that the Pokemon manga is alot better however the Anime does have the advantage in terms of nostalgia factor. I don't think the Anime series has become a joke, you're just not looking at the series in a positive way or in a good light.

Yes the Anime does have it's flaws but the Pokemon battles, Contests, and Gym battles more than make up for it in the long run. Also the Sinnoh Conference is coming up soon for the Anime so things should get interesting between Ash and Paul. Though it's easy to say that Ash presumably has the best power hax in the series as in every League he's attended he's always made the Top 5 but never 1st place.

The Pokemon Anime does have that drag much like with other Shonen Anime series like Dragonball Z and One Piece but that's just the way it is. I still watch the Anime series, even though Team Rocket has been a nuisance for 12 straight seasons.

I see where you're getting at with the first few seasons of the series being better due to the late 80's and early 90's quality that Anime used to have back in the old days before we got HD animation, even still it's not too bad. I thought the Arceus Movie was alright but Rise of Darkrai was one of the cool recent movies I've seen in a while though.

Try the Japanese Fansub for the Pokemon Anime and see how it is compared to the English dub but both aren't bad.

Is it good anymore? I think it's been like this for a while now, and it's clear that it's not going to improve anytime soon.

Personally, I still really like it, and that's coming from someone who watched the original series when it first aired over here in the UK. (I watched original to Johto Journeys, and then stopped. Now I've jumped in from mid Battle Dimension, so luckily I've missed gen3, which I don't particularly care for)

I don't know how old you lot are, but remember, this is a cartoon for kids. Stop complaining that it doesn't fulfill your exacting demands and enjoy it for what it is. I regualarly laugh out loud at it (Team Rocket Goldeen fishing and catching a Gyrados, and getting blasted off (again)) because I enjoy the simple humour and plot.

As for characters, Ash is just... well, Ash, Brock is there to tell the audience things that they might need to know, like one's weakness to another or to fall in love and get poison jabbed, and Dawn is doing her contests and not doing too bad, ackshually. To be honest, I quite like Dawn, I don't get the fanhate that everyone seems to be throwing around. Yes, she's not Misty, and neither was May. Different character, move on.

Oh, and the battles are way better than they used to be.

I wish I could say it was still good but I've watching it forever now and they keep spending too much time stopping for contests or to help people. The first season was cool and so was Jhoto. I think they should have Pikachu evolve into Raichu.

I really liked the first few season including Johto. I was really impressed with Advanced battle and the whole Hoenn series. Some of the episodes were good at times, but besides some of the episodes kept seeming like the same old ones. There wasn't much story in the Hoenn series, and Team Magma and Aqua didn't have much of a role. -.-

I got to say some of the episodes now are good (better than Hoenn Region). They should start making episodes when Team Rocket actually catch Pikachu and take it to Giovanni. Then Ash and Co go and save Pikachu by fighting Giovanni and make it a two-parter episode. Only then will it seem more interesting and make the story even more interesting. Also it is taking a long time for Ash and Co. to get to the next gym. I really like how they go on adventures a lot, but I've noticed that mostly the Pokemon keep getting lost and Ash, Dawn, and Brock have to go and search for them. It takes most of the episode to really search for them.

I don't really like the contest parts, I guess they are OK, but to be honest they can be boring at times. I really miss Misty. May was OK and Dawn is good as well, but I have to go with Misty. The old episodes seemed to have story into it, now the series is getting good, and I'm quite enjoying the episodes now.

Yay an optimist! ^

Personally, I'm always on Youtube on Saturday afternoons waiting for some good American to upload the latest episode. I particularly like the little Johto/HG/SS pseudo-commercial thing they've got going on, with Khoury and Lyra.

Actually, the DP-episodes are by far the best. Ever. There's nearly any fillers, the animation is good, every single character is interesting, and... well, it's just so much better than ever before. :3

What do you mean, 90% of it is filler. How else do they spend 20 episodes in between gym battles. Nothing ever happens they just introduce more and more 1 time only characters that we dont see again and if we do nobody cares. I mean why do we have to see every single time pikachu gets "kidnapped" or every time one of the pokemon wanders off for a few minutes. This whole DP series would be so much better if we saw the gym battles, the contest battles, key character episodes, Character development (which lets face only really happens in the battles), and Team Glaactics plot. I mean do we really need 20 epeisodes that are boring and repetitve in between every single good episode. The battles they have in those episodes aren't even any good they are finished in 2 attacks that dont involve any srategy or major development by the character in question. Also I'm not on any one characters bandwagon I do believe that they all deserve their own moment in the sun. Frankly I'm kind of sick of Ash, because he never wins lets drop this loser and move on to someone else. Also how has the animation better they are still drawings that move all that has changed is that now I have an HD TV and they seem sharper but big whoop I'd trade the animation for a better stroy line where someone ultimatly wins any day.

Also Pikachu will never evolve, for one thing it does not want to, and for another it is the mascot of pokemon.

It's not all about the gym battles. if it was, it'd be eight episodes long, and then what?

Okay, slight exaggeration, but still... I'm with FireMeowth on this.

Unfortunately, I do think it's pretty bad. I still watch it sometimes, but the massive cast of unhelpful supporting characters, the bad dubbing and voices, and the repetitive nature really ruin it for me. It's also far more kiddish and campy than it used to be. It's a shame too, because with the massive world that Satoshi Tajiri has created, a TV show should be good. Maybe there's still hope.

YakobTheRed said:
Personally, I still really like it, and that's coming from someone who watched the original series when it first aired over here in the UK. (I watched original to Johto Journeys, and then stopped. Now I've jumped in from mid Battle Dimension, so luckily I've missed gen3, which I don't particularly care for)

I don't know how old you lot are, but remember, this is a cartoon for kids. Stop complaining that it doesn't fulfill your exacting demands and enjoy it for what it is. I regualarly laugh out loud at it (Team Rocket Goldeen fishing and catching a Gyrados, and getting blasted off (again)) because I enjoy the simple humour and plot.

As for characters, Ash is just... well, Ash, Brock is there to tell the audience things that they might need to know, like one's weakness to another or to fall in love and get poison jabbed, and Dawn is doing her contests and not doing too bad, ackshually. To be honest, I quite like Dawn, I don't get the fanhate that everyone seems to be throwing around. Yes, she's not Misty, and neither was May. Different character, move on.

Oh, and the battles are way better than they used to be.

I whole heartedly agree with you YakobTheRed, I feel pretty much the same way you do though I live in the U.S. Come to think of it I have a friend who lives in the U.K.

In terms of the Pokemon English dub I'm optimistic about it too, it's not that bad but it's better than no Anime/Manga at all. It would be nice If the series reflected back on other old characters besides Gary, May, and Max. What about Harrison and that guy with the Metang at the Hoenn League who sorta looks like Yajirobe from Dragonball? It'd be interesting to see these guys again in the series.

YakobTheRed said:
Personally, I'm always on Youtube on Saturday afternoons waiting for some good American to upload the latest episode. I particularly like the little Johto/HG/SS pseudo-commercial thing they've got going on, with Khoury and Lyra.

I used to go to YouTube to watch the latest episodes but now I mainly go to GoodAnime.net to catch up, it's also a nice site to catch up on the latest episode of Family Guy it's not Anime but it's good stuff.

FireMeowth said:
Actually, the DP-episodes are by far the best. Ever. There's nearly any fillers, the animation is good, every single character is interesting, and... well, it's just so much better than ever before. :3

Fillers in Pokemon are meh but they aren't as bad as it was in Naruto Part 1, I do admit that some of the gym battles were interesting and the battle between Ash and Paul was pretty good even though Ash lost horribly. I couldn't help but laugh when Ash's Pikachu got pimp smacked by Paul's Ursaring, that thing had crazy stamina or something...

I did feel sorry for Pikachu though, he fought like a champ through and through especially against Magmortar as well. It just wasn't one of Ash's good battles, Paul had his Pokemon setup to counter what Pokemon Ash was using though Ash did make some play mistakes during the battle especially when he had Grotle against Honchkrow, not a very wise decision.

All in all I still like watching the episodes and it's still as entertaining as it was in the first few seasons IMO. Sure the quality isn't as good as it used to be but it's still good IMO. There was a funny episode where Gible and Khory's Totodile were having a contest to see which one was stronger and when Khory caught Gible he did a funny pose... :p

I think the main thing that bugs me about the Anime is how whenever Brock does something perverted his Croagunk usually stops him, I liked it better when Misty stopped him by nagging his ear especially Max. It just seems weird for his own Pokemon to do it instead but it's still pretty funny though.

I gotta agree with 6-dimension that the series has gotten more campy and kiddish than it used to be but part of the blame might had something to do with the banned episodes from Season 1 and 2 of the series especially how Ash managed to get a herd of Tauros without the American auidence knowing how he got them in the first place. Or what about the infamous Porygon episode that sent thousands of epileptic Japanese kids to the hospital after having seizures from the bright flashing lights? One episode got banned cause of an actual earthquake that occured at the time it was about to air involving Whiscash.

It'd be nice If they'd stop recycling old storylines for new episodes in fillers but sometimes they do it to keep the series fresh and entertaining for newcomers who haven't seen all 12 seasons of the Anime. It's understandable in a sense, it's good that the series still reflects back on old characters like Gary Oak and May and hopefully that trend will continue as well.

People at Serebii.net who watch the Pokemon series are the most optimistic, which is great cause there's still people who like the series for what it is and enjoy it as they go. The Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, and Hoenn episodes were pretty good non-filler wise and the Sinnoh arc I think turned out somewhat better than Hoenn but in Sinnoh Ash has a huge disadvantage to his Pokemon team but they're getting better from what I've been hearing from the recent Japanese episodes and the new Japanese Opening as well.

Card Slinger J said:
There was a funny episode where Gible and Khory's Totodile were having a contest to see which one was stronger and when Khory caught Gible he did a funny pose... Toungue

Yeah, that was last week's. Personally, I thought the best bit in that was when Khoury's Totodile used watergun own the whole that Gible had dug, and then Gible shot out on a burst of water, yelling. That probably shouldn't make a 19 year old guy laugh out loud, but I did...

I guess it is better rating wise. The thing is it is so much lower class to the general audience. It still attracts the little kids who wake up at 7 to watch it, but it lost the more mature crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a contract with Nick Jr. Ash's pathetic losing and the immature themes they present have made it bad IMO. Make the storyline more complicated, give ash a new brain, BRING MAY BACK, and put slightly more mature themes; and I as many others will be happy.

I don't see Nick Jr. getting ahold of the Pokemon Anime franchise, cause Nick Jr. is geared towards pre-schoolers and kids under 5 years old. Pokemon is geared towards kids 5-6 and older...

Actually, the anime is so bad it stopped airing in holland about a month ago :/
I honestly think the anime has gone bad, the episodes are all the same and very-very irritating at it.

The anime has been poor. It hasn't be good, just average. I just couldn't stand those incessant, pointless filler episodes...

Those episodes killed what was left of the anime, which wasn't much.

Well, if you watched today's, you'll know they finally got someplace. Dawn lost her contest to James, which sucks for her, but still, it was a good episode.

pokemon is meant to be a kid series that why they took out bombs bazooka rocket launchers etc how many kids enjoy watching stuff like that?

Back