Is Gengar Lv.X good or bad?

Shadowwiidragon

My Real Amount of Posts: 2,992 (ignore profile one
I hear that Gengar Lv.X is good and bad in decks. I don't which one is true, so can you tell me your opinion if Gengar Lv.X is a waste or not a waste of space in the deck? Thanks. :D

It's really good beacuse it is so versitile. Run a 4-2-3-1 [SF-PA-SF-PA] and it will help aginst some hard matchups, give you extra HP, and the Power is amazing if you can use it.

I really don't think the Lv. X matches up all that well with just SF Gengar...imo, the Lv. X is good with a spread kind of deck, and then use the Curse power from one of the PA Gengar, to get a quick KO...especially if you manage to be able to attack with it and hit all their pokemon, and then Curse the next turn to a single pokemon, or even more that one

The best thing of Gengar Lv.X is probably the 30 more HP and Level Down. The attack is nothing too great since it needs 3 energy. Plus, it works better in more spread based decks. I guess it's still worth some play since Darkness Pokemon aren't really that popular, so the weakness won't kill you that much. And just 'cuz of the first few reasons.

gengar lvl x will be a godsend in matchups that try to run benched lvl x techs like shaymin lvl x or dialga g lvl x. even though gengar lvl x has much better synergy with the PA gengar i would definitely still use it with gengar sf (which is still the best). level down might even nab you the occasional devolution KO.

It's okay. It helps against Flygon because of the increased HP and Level Down and everything, but it slows it down a lot. If you're running Speedgar I don't know if I'd run it. If you're running Mother Gengar I would most definitely consider running it. With Nidoqueen it becomes a pretty viable tank for the metagame. If you're lucky you'll have enough time to charge up its attack, but that's rare.

I mean, I don't know if I'd play it myself, but it seems like it'd work pretty well.

Galefail said:
It's okay. It helps against Flygon because of the increased HP and Level Down and everything, but it slows it down a lot. If you're running Speedgar I don't know if I'd run it. If you're running Mother Gengar I would most definitely consider running it. With Nidoqueen it becomes a pretty viable tank for the metagame. If you're lucky you'll have enough time to charge up its attack, but that's rare.

I mean, I don't know if I'd play it myself, but it seems like it'd work pretty well.

the only thing with that is...if you don't really have the means to ensure that all your opponents pokemon have counters on them, the attack really isn't even worth powering up for

qnetykz said:
the only thing with that is...if you don't really have the means to ensure that all your opponents pokemon have counters on them, the attack really isn't even worth powering up for

Instead of Nidoqueen. Just use Cresselia Lv.X with a bench shield (against Flygon) or Unown G (mirror match). With "Full Moon Dance" and "Curse", Gengar Lv.X becomes very viable.

YourP1MP said:
Instead of Nidoqueen. Just use Cresselia Lv.X with a bench shield (against Flygon) or Unown G (mirror match). With "Full Moon Dance" and "Curse", Gengar Lv.X becomes very viable.

I had already thought about that...but even then, you're still pretty much setting up a spread kind of deck, and using the "Curse" Gengar over the SF one to achieve the desired effect

Gengar Lv.X is good, but it doesn't work in all Gengar decks. If you play a 4-x-4 line of Gengar SF, I'd say stick with four Gengar SF, as four Gengar is a much better number. Metal Gengar and Mother Gengar for example, probably would prefer a fourth Gengar SF over Gengar Lv.X. If it was something like GeChamp, however, where the Gengar line is 3-x-3 or something like that, I'd say play the lv.X.

In other words, if you can easily fit the Lv.X into the deck, then do so. Fainting Spell can be way more game-changing than Level Down, so keep that in mind.

PokeChamp said:
Gengar Lv.X is good, but it doesn't work in all Gengar decks. If you play a 4-x-4 line of Gengar SF, I'd say stick with four Gengar SF, as four Gengar is a much better number. Metal Gengar and Mother Gengar for example, probably would prefer a fourth Gengar SF over Gengar Lv.X. If it was something like GeChamp, however, where the Gengar line is 3-x-3 or something like that, I'd say play the lv.X.

In other words, if you can easily fit the Lv.X into the deck, then do so. Fainting Spell can be way more game-changing than Level Down, so keep that in mind.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement...Gengar X isn't for every Gengar deck...and having a higher HP isn't neccessarily always the best thing, and while having the power would come in handy...but it's not a game breaker in most cases

It's amazing. +30 HP and Level Down is brilliant. The attack is great with Gallade 4 Lv X (I could see it possibly replacing Crobats).

Ariadosguy said:
It's amazing. +30 HP and Level Down is brilliant. The attack is great with Gallade 4 Lv X (I could see it possibly replacing Crobats).

Gengar X is nothing like crobat. All it does is do 30 damage for each of your opponents pokemon that already has damage counters on it. For an expensive cost too.

If you are running any gengar that wants to be faster than your opponent, don't run it. Inly run it with GeChamp, so some other weird Gengar. Standard Gengars should go 4-2-4 or 4-3-4.

Juliacoolo said:
Gengar X is nothing like crobat. All it does is do 30 damage for each of your opponents pokemon that already has damage counters on it. For an expensive cost too.

If you are running any gengar that wants to be faster than your opponent, don't run it. Inly run it with GeChamp, so some other weird Gengar. Standard Gengars should go 4-2-4 or 4-3-4.

since when did 3 energy for an attack become expensive? especially, considering it's only one more than using Poltergeist, in which that would be a turn you would have to wait for anyway, being you have to X it...the same turn you X it, could easily be the same turn you add that 3rd energy

Juliacoolo said:

Why can't people read correctly?

I said Gallade 4 Lv X would possibly become a replacement to Crobats, not Gengar Lv X.

-1 SF Gengar hardly makes you any slower. The Lv X gives you more HP and more options. It's a great card.

Back