I'm Singin' in the Rain (OU RMT)

Blue Thunder

so long!
I'm sinnngging in the rain...I'm sinnngging in the rain...what glooorius feeling of!...

------

I'm Singing in the Rain - An RMT

186.gif
598.gif
Spr_5b_479W.png
212.gif
381.gif
642.gif

Introduction

Hello, my name is Blue Thunder, and as you can obviously tell, this is my RMT. I first got into competitive battling in the Spring of 2008, back when Garchomp was allowed in OU in DPP. As you can imagine, I was a complete scrub then, using even the notorious Electivire, alongside a Yanmega and a Blissey. I stayed with it for about six months, but then gave up and when back to TCG.

Fast forward to September 2009. The PokeBeach Shoddy Server was just opening up, and I decided to try competitive battling once again, with a Rain team. (which you can see in my only other RMT on this site) I was using it to decent success, and even managed to get to the Top 10 on the PokeBeach server. Despite this, I went on another hiatus until Summer 2010. I was using my Rain team still, but I also used a couple of heavy offense teams during this time. Again, I could easily beat the newer players, fare well against the average ones...but couldn't really beat anyone good. I stay active in the battling section until about October. With BW now starting up, my interest in Pokemon and this site waning, and many other irl things factors forced me to abandon the battling scene, and at one point I was convinced I would never return.

It is now July 2011...while I was now back to visiting the forums on the daily basis, I was still too lazy to get into the 5th Generation battling scene. At about this time, the Casual Tournament was posted. I had gotten some pressure to join by a couple of people, but I was still unsure. As sign ups were nearing the end, I had finally decided that it was either now or never, and I finally got the motivation to learn Generation V. Granted, I had been following it quite a bit, but I had never actually played even one game.

I started out with making a Sand team at first, which was pretty decent. I was surprised, seeing as how I expected to have a losing record with it. However, I got tired of it pretty quickly, and decided to come back to my old love, Rain...which brings us to this team. It's been my most successful team so far, and I've actually enjoyed using it. That said, I'm still looking for some minor improvements for this team, hence this RMT.

Team Building Process

186.gif

What is a Rain team without the Drizzle user, Politoed? He had an obvious inclusion in the team from the get-go.

186.gif
Spr_5b_479W.png
212.gif

Next, I decided to add the infamous Rotom + Scizor combination into this team. They would give me a solid backbone, providing me with excellent offensive and defensive synergy. They also give me the offensive advantage with their respective switching moves, which would gradually wear down the opponent.

186.gif
Spr_5b_479W.png
212.gif
598.gif

Ferrothorn was the next addition to this team, and was a brilliant one at that. Not only does he further add to the defensive synergy of this team by providing another Grass resist, (and a Fire weakness for Rotom and Politoed to abuse) he also provides crucial support in the form of Stealth Rock and Spikes. With Rotom and Scizor forcing many switches, the opponent will be taking quite a bit of passive damage over time.

So...who could abuse all this?

186.gif
Spr_5b_479W.png
212.gif
598.gif
642.gif

Enter the suspect, Thundurus! Thundurus was an amazing addition to the team, and really abuses the support everyone else gives him. Politoed provides him with Rain, allowing him to use a more powerful STAB in Thunder. Scizor and Rotom can grant easy switch-ins for Thundurus, check faster threats, and even force the opponent to switch, racking up entry hazards. Ferrothorn lays down hazards that allow Thundurus to sweep easier, as well as by using T-Wave to help against faster threats. Thundurus in turn provides a crucial Fighting resist, as well as by giving me an end-game plan.

186.gif
Spr_5b_479W.png
212.gif
598.gif
642.gif
381.gif

The team looks quite solid as it is, but there still were loose ends to tie up. For one, I really needed another Electric and Fighting resist, as I had only one of each...and Thundurus can't take many Fighting attacks, and Electric moves have all around good-coverage against this team. I also needed something to help against Blissey, as once Scizor is gone, I really struggle. Virizion was another threat if it was at full health. Finally, DragMag teams also posed a threat if they trap and kill Ferrothorn. Latios helps me address all these problems, and truly is the glue that puts this team together. Not only that, but Latios also can also abuse the Rain with Surf, giving it essentially three STABs, as well as providing a Dragon-type attack.

Let's take a more in-depth look...

Under the Microscope

20100417192016!186Politoed.png

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power (Grass)
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Let me tell you, I thought this thing was going to be mostly dead weight...boy was I wrong! With a Choice Specs, he comes with a 457 Special Attack stat, which is not weak by any means. Hydro Pump is the crux of the set, seeing as how it has essentially 270 BP factoring in STAB and Rain, which makes it even easier to spam than Specs Draco Meteor. You have to resist AND have a good Special Defense to avoid being 2HKO'd. It even threatens over 40% on Blissey and Virizion, and with SR and a layer of Spikes, they are easily 2HKO'd. Everything else is coverage. HP Grass allows me to hit the ever-annoying Gastrodon hard on the switch, helping me immensely later on. Focus Blast is for Ferrothorn, and also hits Tyranitar harder than Hydro Pump. (Though the former can only switch in to Hydro Pump once, while the latter doesn't ever want to come in on Hydro Pump. Ever.) Ice Beam is my weapon against Grass types, though again, Hydro Pump still hits them hard, if not 2HKOing. Politoed is essentially my wall-breaker, as nothing enjoys switching in on Hydro Pump, (except Gastrodon and Tentacruel, but we'll get to them later) and allows my other sweeps to sweep much easier. The only one real downside to Politoed is that Hydro Pump only has 80 accuracy. :[ But it really needs that power.

Ferrothorn and Latios cover Politoed's Electric weakness, and everything sans Rotom-W can come in on Grass attacks.

479Rotom_Wash_Rotom_Dream.png

Rotom - W @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Trick

Rotom-W serves many roles on this team. Whether he is wearing down switch-ins with Volt Switch, firing off STAB Hydro Pumps in the Rain, or checking faster threats that threaten a sweep, Rotom-W is definitely a team player. Volt Switch is an obvious pick for a Scarf set, as it lets me both gain an offensive advantage and rack up entry hazard damage. Hydro Pump allows me to clean up late game if nothing else if let, and is used if I predict a Ground-type switch in to block the Volt Switch. Hidden Power Ice allows me to check dragons like Dragonite, and hurts Grass-types as well. Finally, Trick allows me to cripple defensive Pokes like Gastrodon and Ferrothorn that love to absorb Hydro Pumps or Volt Switches. However, I usually don't like using Trick too much, as without the Scarf I'm left open to many threats that are faster than Thundurus. (Or even Thundurus himself) EVs are pretty standard.

In a battle, I will usually lead with Rotom-W to put me in an advantageous position from the start, and I've found it to be much more effective than leading with Politoed. Whereas Politoed tends to be slower than most leads (and by extension ends up taking a big hit early on), Rotom-W ensures I can get a hit off, while switching in to the appropriate team member.

Rotom-W also has fabulous synergy with Scizor, as mentioned in the Team Building section. Together, they can often rack up a number of small hits on combos like SkarmBliss that ensures they cannot heal or really do anything else, or at the very least dent them enough so that they cannot halt a sweep later on. Rotom-W also helps against Starmie, who could easily sweep this entire team once Ferrothorn is down. Lastly, Rotom-W's lone Grass weakness is helpful if anything, as so many things on this team take advantage of it.

20090719042852!212Scizor.png

Scizor @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor <333. I've used him on a number of my teams, and he rarely disappoints. Scizor provides me with sooo much that this team would fall apart without him. Bullet Punch is standard fare on Scizor, and provides me with much needed priority for this team. U-Turn is nice way to dent tons of switch-ins, while it also allows me to get in Thundurus and others in without risking getting hit. Everything else is honestly just filler. Superpower is really only used when I absolutely need to get rid of Ferrothorn. Most of the time, being locked into it at -1/-1 just begs for sooo many things to set-up on me that it usually isn't worth it. Pursuit is also hardly ever used, as U-Turn is usually the more useful option in any case where I would consider using Pursuit. Choice-locked Pursuit also isn't a good spot for me either.

Scizor really is my emergency button to a lot of threats, and also acts as a check to RP Terrakion, who could otherwise have a field day with this team. Bullet Punch also takes out weakened mons that tend to be common after entry hazards and repeated U-Turns/Volt Switches take their toll. He scares away Celebi, who could otherwise wreck havoc with T-Wave, or even just outright sweep with Nasty Plot. Like Rotom, Scizor's lone weakness is easily abused by this team, with half the team sporting a resistance to Fire. Scizor also really appreciates the Rain, as otherwise random HP Fire mons could really get to this team. (Like the aforementioned Celebi)

Against Sand teams, I usually will lead with Scizor against them. Oftentimes, the opponent will usually lead with Tyranitar, as it would usually give them the weather advantage. (If I led with Politoed) At worst, leading Scizor against Tyranitar will let me dent the switch-in and put me in another advantageous position. At best, however, some of the more inexperienced players will attempt to Fire Blast me, and I end up U-Turning to Politoed from here. It is a triple win in this situation. I hit Tyranitar for massive damage early, gained the weather advantage...and now the opponent will have to eat a Specs Hydro Pump, which is never fun for them.

598Ferrothorn.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Y'know, I never thought I would use a defensive mon like Ferrothorn, but he has been working wonders for me. Stealth Rock and Spikes are to be expected on Ferrothorn, and really help the team shine by racking up passive damage. Power Whip gives me something to batter Gastrodon and other Waters with, or at the least scares them out so I can set up a hazard. Thunder Wave seems like an odd choice at first, but it really helps against faster foes or even set-up sweepers. It's ultimate purpose is the same as the entry-hzards - to make a clean sweep easier.

Ferrothorn provides me a solid defensive backbone, by taking Outrages and other powerful attacks where nothing would be able to. That being said, Ferrothorn also helps me in the realm of offense by throwing down hazards that everyone abuses. Politoed's Hydro Pump becomes even more threatening. Rotom and Scizor force so many switches that the opposition literally will not be able to stop Thundurus late game, all thanks to the hazards. Thunder Wave also helps by eliminating the threat of faster mons shutting down a sweep, or to prevent speed ties against opposing Tornadus, Thundurus, and Latis. Even against more defensive foes, the opponent now has 25% chance of doing nothing to damage my late-game sweeper in anyway. Ferrothorn really is crucial to the game, and if I lose him early, it becomes much tougher to win.

I have considered Rocky Helmet to rack up even more passive damage, but overall I like the Lefties recovery more, as it can sometimes throw down one more hazard, or paralyze one more sweeper.

20091223220735!381Latios.png

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Recover

An odd set at first glance, but it has been effective for this team so far. With Rain, he basically has 3 STAB attacks on this set, which is nothing to sneeze at. Dragon Pulse is the primary STAB, usually taking a nice chunk out of anything that doesn't resist it. Surf is obligatory on a Rain team, and hits Scizors and other Steels reasonably hard, looking to absorb a Draco Meteor. Psyshock is extremely useful, allowing me to beat CM Virizion, which could otherwise wreck me. It is also my best option against Blissey. Lastly, Recover allows me to take advantage of Latios' bulk, and gives me the option of repeatedly switching in on the numerous resists Latios sports. Recover also helps me deal with the Life Orb recoil.

The big reason I don't have Draco Meteor is that, while it hits really hard, being at -2 Special Attack gives many dangerous sweepers a chance to set-up on me (Like Volcarona). Overall, I don't think the extra power is worth being completely open on the turn after, especially when this team already has something similar in power, (Specs Toed Hydro Pump, if you couldn't figure out) but without the harsh side effect.

Latios tends to help me beat many of things this team would otherwise struggle with, and in particular helps me against Rain "counters" like Gastrodon and Virizion. Latios further adds to the defensive synergy of this team, as many things can take an Ice attack, while Ferrothorn excels at tanking Dragon attacks. Meanwhile, he adds many resistances to this team, including the important second Fighting and Electric resists. He, like everything else, works to help makes it a bit easier to sweep with...

642Thundurus.png

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Grass Knot/Taunt

You know what they say..."Every team is a little Thundurus weak." Indeed, with his high Speed, great coverage, and excellent Special Attack, he is the best late game sweeper I've ever used. Thunder is the obvious STAB move on a Rain team. It not only provides with 37.5 more BP, (counting STAB) but also threatens a 30% chance of paralysis. Focus Blast hits Tyranitar hard, and complements Thunder's coverage in general. (Though 70 accuracy sucks) Hidden Powers let me batter Gliscor, Salamence, Dragonite, and other Ground-types attempt to absorb Thunder.

The last slot is where it gets interesting. I originally had Taunt to begin with, but it rarely was of any use. I tried Thunder Wave next, but it ended up detracting from the concept of a Thundurus sweep, and was still pretty useless. I knew Nasty Plot wouldn't work, as I usually never would need it, nor would I have time to set it up in the first place. I finally decided to use Grass Knot to surprise Gastrodons and Quagsires who think they can stop me. However, I recently discovered how Baton Pass weak this team is, and a fast Taunt can help immensely against these teams. In the end, I will probably end up going with Taunt, as I can at least handle Gastrodon and Quagsire with other team mates. They won't do much against Baton Pass, though.

The whole rest of the team really just aims to help Thundurus sweep, and it does just that. If all hazards are down and faster threats crippled or dead, very few can stop Thundurus from completely sweeping their team. Indeed, most of my games are usually won with Thundurus, as you probably could imagine.

That being said, there are a few things that do give me some mild problems...

Threat List

073.gif

Tentacruel is definitely an annoying thing for this team to face. For one, his ability to shrug off Specs Hydro Pumps is a real bother, seeing as how it is my main method of sheer wall-breaking. His Special Defense in general tend to make it hard to kill with this specially-based team. However, the worst part about it when it uses Rapid Spin, eliminating my all-important hazards. Granted, Volt Switch can wear him down, and he is easily killed by Latios and Thundurus, but Tentacruel still makes it much harder to get any momentum built, making him a moderate threat.

637.gif

He's a problem for this team, oddly enough. He can pretty much walk all over Scizor, and usually isn't scared of Ferrothorn either. Volcarona's Quiver Dances are the real problem though, especially in Sun. With +1, he threatens to kill a number of members on the team, while severely harming anyone else. In the meantime, +1 SpD means he is just that much harder to kill, and if Sun is up I might as well say gg. My main method of dealing with him is to stay in with Ferrothorn to Thunder Wave it. However, even with it crippled, it still usually ends up taking a guy or two with him, making Volcarona very dangerous.

642.gif

Opposing Thundurus with Thunder Wave really hamper this team. It can cripple any member on the team with its Thunder Wave, stop Ferrothorn from Thunder Waving it by using Taunt, or just sweep outright if Rotom dies. Granted, Taunt and Nasty Plot versions can usually be taken out without much hassle, but the guessing game is annoying and potentially lethal to me.

Conclusion

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how this team has worked out for me so far. That being said, I'm always open to suggestions on how to make it even better, hence me posting this.

Nit-pick away. :]

I'm sad to say that Ferrothorn can't get Spikes and Stealth Rocks, as that's an illegal breeding combination.

^Actually, it can get any two out of SR, Spikes, and Leech Seed, just not all three at the same time. But SR and Spikes is legal.
Can't really say I see much wrong with the team, it's great to see a RMT of this high quality posted in here. I will say though, that a RestTalk Gyarados can help immensly with Tentacruel (it can Rest away the Burn from Scald and phaze it out with Dragon Tail) and Volcarona (the best it can do it HP Rock, which does <50%, iirc). However, it does add even more to Thundurus problem, so I'm not really sure what you would take out.

Gyarados
Impish @ Leftovers
252 HP/248 Def/8 SpD
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Waterfall
-Dragon Tail

Really though, great team, great RMT! Good luck, hope I helped (if only a bit).

EDIT: You could run your own Thunder Wave in the last slot, as it will stop any Thundurus that doesn't win the Speed tie and Taunt or kill you.
EDIT 2: If you run Quick Attack on Scizor, it would become much easier to revenge Thundurus.

Thanks 6-Dimension for all your compliments, and taking time to rate this team. :]

Anyway, I think you yourself pointed out the main issue with putting in Gyarados, that being "what would I take out?" The only options I could even see would be Rotom or maybe Scizor, but then I start to become particularly weak to Starmie/Terrakion/fast sweepers in general. In this case, I would be covering some current threats well, but then I start to become vulnerable to some others.

However, I do like your suggestion for Quick Attack. Not only does it hit Thundurus harder, but it also does the same against Volcarona. I'll definitely test that out over Pursuit.

Back