TCG Fakes Idea: Unofficial Tournaments Using Fake Cards

pokesage101

Is WishiWashi GX the new Darkrai EX?
Now before anyone says that this would be impossible, this is just an idea. Now here me out. The tournament would use a set list decided by either the top fakers (Like @bbninjas , @aschefield101 , and @Jabberwock and only if they wanted to) or by the organizers. People would use Proxies and would have access to the standard format. Think of the possibilities! If i am breaking any rules, just tell me and i will stop.

NEW: Anyone who would like to participate in making this a thing can comment that they would like to do one of the following:
  • Give permission for their card do be used
  • make custom cards
  • help organize / setup STEAM
  • work on the allowed list of cards
  • OTHER
NEW: the list of allowed cards is located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZBTNkSY1OtHpZu3EiG8NcFi0fYIZKUpSz5JzY7lPtcE/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

NinJamezor

We love Huntail
Now before anyone says that this would be impossible, this is just an idea. Now here me out. The tournament would use a set list decided by either the top fakers (Like BBNinjas, AscheField101, and only if they wanted to) or by the organizers. People would use Proxies and would have access to the standard format. Think of the possibilities! If i am breaking any rules, just tell me and i will stop.
This would be Awesome, and I mean AWESOME, but how would everyone get together?

pokesage101

Ah, I thought you meant the Pokébeach Fakers in the Tourney
You could see if any fakers live near you, or you could organize an event somewhere. Another alternative is that you could have half of the field on camera so you could each see each others fields. Anyway, i am starting to make a list of fakes we "Could" use if the creators gave permission.

Kavross

Aspiring Trainer
The Game Tabletop Simulator on Steam is actually a fantastic way to play online with others as long as you both know the rules (No automated prizes, effects, etc.) But people have created usable cards up to XY-Evolutions and it would be fairly simple to create a "Pokebeach" set as long as the card images were the same size

pokesage101

The Game Tabletop Simulator on Steam is actually a fantastic way to play online with others as long as you both know the rules (No automated prizes, effects, etc.) But people have created usable cards up to XY-Evolutions and it would be fairly simple to create a "Pokebeach" set as long as the card images were the same size
OMG!!! I am so trying that out! I am working on a public google spreadsheet with some card ideas that at some point i will link to.

Kavross

Aspiring Trainer
OMG!!! I am so trying that out! I am working on a public google spreadsheet with some card ideas that at some point i will link to.
Awesome! I have never personally created a set there before but I'm definitely down to give it a shot if you'd like assistance (This is a really cool idea for an event and I want it to pan out)

NinJamezor

We love Huntail
Awesome! I have never personally created a set there before but I'm definitely down to give it a shot if you'd like assistance (This is a really cool idea for an event and I want it to pan out)
Same Here, I would be down to help. This is a cool idea

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
This would be so fun! I've wanted to do this. I'd definitely be interested.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I'm actually a huge fan of adapting fake cards to real use. In my own experience, I've found there's nothing more valuable for balancing and power levels than considering how your card might play out in a real format, in terms of potential combos and the like. This is especially important if you're working on a set; you need to figure out which cards have synergy with which others, even if it seems really minor and hardly gamebreaking.

I've also got a story of my own to share on this topic. For a few years, a small group of IRL friends and I have been working on our own "fake format" of sorts; a balanced set of 175+ cards thus far that by themselves form fifteen or so "metagame" decks. We first started working on it when a bunch of my friends fell out of Standard due to school and the like, and kept up their Pokémon-playing through old decks from their favorite formats. Eventually, we decided, hey, why not make our own? This was also when I first started getting into faking. :p

I already had a bunch of Fakemon lying around from my childhood, and we repurposed them for this format. Of course, that required me to draw all the art, and back then, naturally, my art was awful. Here's some of the more recent stuff:
5SZXiov.png
cTlLuTp.png
Not too long ago, when @PikaMasterJesi and @thegrovylekid came down from BC to San Francisco for Worlds '16, I met up with them and played some old decks. Eventually, I brought up my fake format. At the time I only had one deck printed, which we ended up playing against some of my '10-'11 lists. It was surprisingly even, all things considered. Of course, since then, I've printed more decks, and I've got about four or five in rotation currently, bringing a couple to each tournament I head to locally.

Somehow, while reminiscing about Worlds, the fake format came up in conversation again. I sent over some cards I had made since Worlds, and @Keeper of Night, who was in the chatroom, mentioned how cool it would be to have a plugin like PTCGO, only for these fake cards.

Keeper, of course, then proceeded to make said plugin. Isn't Keeper awesome? :U

Slowly, that format has been getting introduced to more and more people––both locally, in my area, and on PB. I've gotten some other folks on here to draw some art for cards for me, and here's some of the recent stuff they've come up with (credit and endless thanks to @PikaMasterJesi and @steffenka):
COJWbXy.png
A53AyC4.png
So, that's my story. TL;DR: Fake formats are awesome and I think this is a brilliant idea. While I can't volunteer myself to turn any of your text-based fakes into images, I'd be more than happy to help any of you with PS if you'd like. I'm very interested to see how this turns out. :)

pokesage101

I'm actually a huge fan of adapting fake cards to real use. In my own experience, I've found there's nothing more valuable for balancing and power levels than considering how your card might play out in a real format, in terms of potential combos and the like. This is especially important if you're working on a set; you need to figure out which cards have synergy with which others, even if it seems really minor and hardly gamebreaking.

I've also got a story of my own to share on this topic. For a few years, a small group of IRL friends and I have been working on our own "fake format" of sorts; a balanced set of 175+ cards thus far that by themselves form fifteen or so "metagame" decks. We first started working on it when a bunch of my friends fell out of Standard due to school and the like, and kept up their Pokémon-playing through old decks from their favorite formats. Eventually, we decided, hey, why not make our own? This was also when I first started getting into faking. :p

I already had a bunch of Fakemon lying around from my childhood, and we repurposed them for this format. Of course, that required me to draw all the art, and back then, naturally, my art was awful. Here's some of the more recent stuff:
5SZXiov.png
cTlLuTp.png
Not too long ago, when @PikaMasterJesi and @thegrovylekid came down from BC to San Francisco for Worlds '16, I met up with them and played some old decks. Eventually, I brought up my fake format. At the time I only had one deck printed, which we ended up playing against some of my '10-'11 lists. It was surprisingly even, all things considered. Of course, since then, I've printed more decks, and I've got about four or five in rotation currently, bringing a couple to each tournament I head to locally.

Somehow, while reminiscing about Worlds, the fake format came up in conversation again. I sent over some cards I had made since Worlds, and @Keeper of Night, who was in the chatroom, mentioned how cool it would be to have a plugin like PTCGO, only for these fake cards.

Keeper, of course, then proceeded to make said plugin. Isn't Keeper awesome? :U

Slowly, that format has been getting introduced to more and more people––both locally, in my area, and on PB. I've gotten some other folks on here to draw some art for cards for me, and here's some of the recent stuff they've come up with (credit and endless thanks to @PikaMasterJesi and @steffenka):
COJWbXy.png
A53AyC4.png
So, that's my story. TL;DR: Fake formats are awesome and I think this is a brilliant idea. While I can't volunteer myself to turn any of your text-based fakes into images, I'd be more than happy to help any of you with PS if you'd like. I'm very interested to see how this turns out. :)
If you could help us out that would be great! I would like to make this vision real. By the way, could you check out the spreadsheet? IF you want to, it would be helpful to have another faker's permission to include their fake cards in the set.

Nyora

A Cat
This. Looks. Awesome. Anyways, I'm all in it for a fake cards tournament, I think it'll take some work, but definitely achievable. Many of my cards I try to design for actual competitive battling, and with most (unless I'm bein lazy) I go in my mind and see how they would fare in the meta currently, to see if they could even be used at all, if they'd gen game changing, and such. That said, I'd like help create custom cards,and I have a question. I'm probably stupid for not knowing this, but what is @help organize setup STEAM" mean. I'm not entirely sure what the "STEAM" part is.

Kavross

Aspiring Trainer
Hoo boy, twas a hassle to learn but I got Lighthouse Mysteries into Tabletop Simulator
17m7c3o_zpswryhjqvm.jpg

pokesage101

This. Looks. Awesome. Anyways, I'm all in it for a fake cards tournament, I think it'll take some work, but definitely achievable. Many of my cards I try to design for actual competitive battling, and with most (unless I'm bein lazy) I go in my mind and see how they would fare in the meta currently, to see if they could even be used at all, if they'd gen game changing, and such. That said, I'd like help create custom cards,and I have a question. I'm probably stupid for not knowing this, but what is @help organize setup STEAM" mean. I'm not entirely sure what the "STEAM" part is.
Ok, first of all thank you. the STEAM part is referring to The Game Tabletop Simulator on the Steam game engine. We have to load new images into it. it costs money to use The Game Tabletop Simulator.
Hoo boy, twas a hassle to learn but I got Lighthouse Mysteries into Tabletop Simulator
17m7c3o_zpswryhjqvm.jpg
OMG you are so fast, i have not even bough The Game Tabletop Simulator on Steam. Could you give me a tutorial?