I EV'd wrong. Can this still work?

Gentlefish

Hero of Truth
I was overjoyed to get an Immunity Gligar from the DW yesterday, and so I went to Smogon to see what I should make out of my soon-to-be-Gliscor. I was going to use the Physical Tank set in the "VGC 12" section. The EVs are supposed to be 208 HP / 20 Atk / 136 Def / 4 SpD / 140 Spe, but dunce that I am I absentmindedly thought "ah, yes, I need attack for this" and went and got 98 EVs of it.
Yeah.
So, is there any way I can alter the EV spread without breaking the set, or am I going to need to scour the DW for a metric ton of Kelpsy berries?

In BW2 you can reduce EVs in Join Avenue with a Haircut place. You can only do each haircut once per day, but it is better than nothing.

That method could work too. I think there is another, but I don't remember what it was...

Re: RE: I EV'd wrong. Can this still work?

Gentlefish said:
I was overjoyed to get an Immunity Gligar from the DW yesterday, and so I went to Smogon to see what I should make out of my soon-to-be-Gliscor. I was going to use the Physical Tank set in the "VGC 12" section. The EVs are supposed to be 208 HP / 20 Atk / 136 Def / 4 SpD / 140 Spe, but dunce that I am I absentmindedly thought "ah, yes, I need attack for this" and went and got 98 EVs of it.
Yeah.
So, is there any way I can alter the EV spread without breaking the set, or am I going to need to scour the DW for a metric ton of Kelpsy berries?

It really isn't a metric ton. It is more like 8, which is REALLY easy to manage. If you can't do either method of reducing EVs, you can always evolve your Gligar and make your Gliscor an offensive one.

PellOfTheTundra said:
Gentlefish said:
Yeah.

It really isn't a metric ton. It is more like 8, which is REALLY easy to manage. If you can't do either method of reducing EVs, you can always evolve your Gligar and make your Gliscor an offensive one.

Easy to manage if I can get one in the DW soon! :p But I suppose there IS trading, so... well, yeah. I guess 8 isn't too bad.
As for switching sets - would that really work with Poison Heal? The only other set in the VGC section uses Sand Veil. Granted, I could shake off Smogon and do my own thing, but since I don't do VGC much I'm a bit nervous about doing something like that.
Thanks for your time.

Gentlefish said:
PellOfTheTundra said:

Easy to manage if I can get one in the DW soon! :p But I suppose there IS trading, so... well, yeah. I guess 8 isn't too bad.
As for switching sets - would that really work with Poison Heal? The only other set in the VGC section uses Sand Veil. Granted, I could shake off Smogon and do my own thing, but since I don't do VGC much I'm a bit nervous about doing something like that.
Thanks for your time.

Making your own sets does take a bit of practice, but offensive Gliscor is all I use for VGC. I can give you my set.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
184 Atk/ 72 Def/ 252 Speed
Impish/Adamant nature (depends heavily on what you want more, power or endurance)

-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Ice Fang
-Night Slash

Earthquake is your standard stuff, hits hard with STAB. Toxic is also pretty standard, you want stuff to take that residual damage. Ice Fang is ONLY for Dragons and Landorus, and Night Slash is for Sp.Def Cresselias. The Defense added to the set allows you to still take physical hits so that Poison Heal is worth it without sacrificing the ability to hit hard with EQ.

As with any unstandard set, change it to your liking, and if it doesn't work for you, don't use it xD

PellOfTheTundra said:
Making your own sets does take a bit of practice, but offensive Gliscor is all I use for VGC. I can give you my set.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish/Adamant nature (depends heavily on what you want more, power or endurance)

-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Ice Fang
-Night Slash

Earthquake is your standard stuff, hits hard with STAB. Toxic is also pretty standard, you want stuff to take that residual damage. Ice Fang is ONLY for Dragons and Landorus, and Night Slash is for Sp.Def Cresselias. The Defense added to the set allows you to still take physical hits so that Poison Heal is worth it without sacrificing the ability to hit hard with EQ.

As with any unstandard set, change it to your liking, and if it doesn't work for you, don't use it xD

Ice Fang doesn't seem like it would be necessary for me - since this Gligar (Gliscor now, actually) is filling the spot on my Sandstorm team a Garchomp might have held I don't think I have much of a dragon weakness, and Landorus... well, yeah, I guess Rock Slide won't be enough for him. Hm.
Really, the only change I would need to make to that set is the inclusion of Protect and possibly Tailwind. Some HP EVs would be nice, as well... Also, the Gliscor I have is Naughty. I know it's not the best, but I figured that if I didn't take it I'd be soft-resetting for an hour and probably wouldn't get anything better. I'm still discouraged after trying to SR all three of my GameStop Meloettas and constantly getting everything but Modest multiple times. I settled for a Timid--which I can probably use in spite of bad Attack--and two neutral-natured ones with decent stats which I obviously won't EV train and might try to trade for better ones.

Gentlefish said:
PellOfTheTundra said:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb

-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Ice Fang
-Night Slash

Ice Fang doesn't seem like it would be necessary for me - since this Gligar (Gliscor now, actually) is filling the spot on my Sandstorm team a Garchomp might have held I don't think I have much of a dragon weakness, and Landorus... well, yeah, I guess Rock Slide won't be enough for him. Hm.
Really, the only change I would need to make to that set is the inclusion of Protect and possibly Tailwind. Some HP EVs would be nice, as well... Also, the Gliscor I have is Naughty. I know it's not the best, but I figured that if I didn't take it I'd be soft-resetting for an hour and probably wouldn't get anything better. I'm still discouraged after trying to SR all three of my GameStop Meloettas and constantly getting everything but Modest multiple times. I settled for a Timid--which I can probably use in spite of bad Attack--and two neutral-natured ones with decent stats which I obviously won't EV train and might try to trade for better ones.

You can drop Ice Fang for protect. Naughty nature works too, as Gliscor has GARBAGE sp.def regardless. Landorus is a bit of a problem, but you can simply rock Icy Wind Cresselia and be fine. The HP investment isn't actually that important. As an attacker, he needs high Speed and Attack, and the defense value was for some very specific threats... as I said modify it to your needs. If you feel it is too frail (should not be an issue with Gliscor's decent defense) you can shift values around. That is just the one I found to work best with my loadout.

PellOfTheTundra said:
You can drop Ice Fang for protect. Naughty nature works too, as Gliscor has GARBAGE sp.def regardless. Landorus is a bit of a problem, but you can simply rock Icy Wind Cresselia and be fine. The HP investment isn't actually that important. As an attacker, he needs high Speed and Attack, and the defense value was for some very specific threats... as I said modify it to your needs. If you feel it is too frail (should not be an issue with Gliscor's decent defense) you can shift values around. That is just the one I found to work best with my loadout.

Alright. Thanks for the info.

Ice Fang is probably more crucial than Night Slash. Night Slash doesn't cover enough mons to be worth a spot imo. And most of the pokemon weak to it will be super tanky like Uxie or Cresselia anyway.

Dark Void said:
Ice Fang is probably more crucial than Night Slash. Night Slash doesn't cover enough mons to be worth a spot imo. And most of the pokemon weak to it will be super tanky like Uxie or Cresselia anyway.

Yeah, I thought about that too.

Like I said, tailor it to your needs. My team was very susceptible to Uxie and Cresselia stalling, so I gave it Night Slash.

You could always try the Acrobatics set as well. That set runs 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Speed, so it's not that hard to create. It also runs pretty much the same moves your were originally planning on, except with Acrobatics instead of the Rock Slide/Ice Fang slot. You'd also hold a Flying Gem, so that Acrobatics packs a pretty big punch upon first use. However, the preferred ability for that one is generally Sand Veil, since you aren't planning to take many hits. (Fortunately, Sand Veil Gligars are not hard to find.)

TPO3 said:
You could always try the Acrobatics set as well. That set runs 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Speed, so it's not that hard to create. It also runs pretty much the same moves your were originally planning on, except with Acrobatics instead of the Rock Slide/Ice Fang slot. You'd also hold a Flying Gem, so that Acrobatics packs a pretty big punch upon first use. However, the preferred ability for that one is generally Sand Veil, since you aren't planning to take many hits. (Fortunately, Sand Veil Gligars are not hard to find.)

S/He could even make both to test. I suggest doing so.

PellOfTheTundra said:
TPO3 said:

S/He could even make both to test. I suggest doing so.

TPO3: But I want to use the Poison Heal one! XD But yeah, the AcroBat is pretty sweet.
PellOfTheTundra: He, thank you. And that sounds like a good idea.

Back