Hydreigon and Nine Other Cards Revealed from 'Phantom Gate' [8/31]

Hydreigon.... maybe but it probably would have to be played with max potion to keep it alive. Also it's going to have to be in a deck of it's own because it looks too slow for Yveltal/Darkrai and stuff. Also I'm not sure what's up with this "Fruity Mentos floating around on every card" thing.

Carpey said:
Hydreigon.... maybe but it probably would have to be played with max potion to keep it alive. Also it's going to have to be in a deck of it's own because it looks too slow for Yveltal/Darkrai and stuff. Also I'm not sure what's up with this "Fruity Mentos floating around on every card" thing.

If you read the pokedex entry it all makes sense.

"Hydreigon has stank breath, and needs 4 packs of Fruit Mentos per head just to not kill whoever it is talking to. Hydreigon also looks like a dragon"

Or maybe the artist was drawing the Hydreigon without a background and spilled his candy on it.

The most important card in this set so far has to be Fletchider because it is confirmed that it is going to be the next Scrafty. As in it is in every other set.

"Fruity Mentos" are ectoplasm. It's what ghosts are made out of, Since it's Phantom Gate.

I agree, Stage 2 accel by taking an energy from the discard. That card is slightly better than Chandelure (Plasma), taking one energy from the deck (which eventually runs out, very quickly, depending on how many energies you are running).. and Chandelure saw NO play at all (most probably due to Emboar, Dark has nothing, so some desperate players might use it). Still, I believe it is easier to get a Stage 2 in play than to get a second Energy in a turn.. but I agree, there is no space for something that is not as accessible as using a trainer (Dark Patch). Depending on what else we get in the set (that could speed up having Pokes in play), there might be other cards you would want in the deck instead.

Still, I like we are getting TONS of energy accel suport, be it good or bad.

NOTE: A shame the discussion turned to "hate", because talking about space and decks being tight was actually enlightening. Is there a thread that discussed this further (when and how is a deck considered tight and when does it have space for techs)?

Auride said:
"Fruity Mentos" are ectoplasm. It's what ghosts are made out of, Since it's Phantom Gate.

I don't know them being Mentos makes a lot of sense.

Why can't we just go one step forward, and make a Basic with an ability like this. Just break the game.

Hooray for some non-5ban artwork for Kalos Pokemon.

Boo for the selection of old Pokemon probably being drawn out of a hat.

Is the Fletchling line already the new BW monkeys where everyone complains about how much they're printed despite other Pokemon from the same Generation having more cards?

Frost said:
Is the Fletchling line already the new BW monkeys where everyone complains about how much they're printed despite other Pokemon from the same Generation having more cards?
It's a little bit annoying to see Fletchling and Fletchinder in 3 sets out of 4. Make us an example of the other VI Generation Pokémon printed as frequently as Fletchling and Fletchinder in this XY era. Filling sets with the same (useless) cards is just boring, end of the story.

Carpey said:
Also I'm not sure what's up with this "Fruity Mentos floating around on every card" thing.

Was wondering about that too. It's really ruining the art on these cards. I fear this is going to be the worst set released in a long time, card art wise.=/ Also, if it's supposed to be ectoplasm, then why does it look like it got ripped straight out of a candy commercial... why not make it look spooky or whatever.
Oh well, at least the commons and uncommons still have regular backgrounds that have some effort put into them and look nice, so it's not all bad.

RealSlim said:
It's a little bit annoying to see Fletchling and Fletchinder in 3 sets out of 4. Make us an example of the other VI Generation Pokémon printed as frequently as Fletchling and Fletchinder in this XY era. Filling sets with the same (useless) cards is just boring, end of the story.

Well I go by more than just what's in sets so maybe that's the disparity here. Counting these new cards, Fletchling is at four, Fletchinder is at three and Talonflame (if he's even in this set) is only at two.

• Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie were in the Kalos Starter Set, XY base and were XY Promos. (They were also reprinted as McDonald's cards but the only change was the holo pattern.)
  • Chesnaught, Delphox and Greninja were in the Kalos Starter Set, XY base, had EX tin promos, and Greninja had a fourth Darkness card as an XY-P promo.
  • Furfrou has had the same card printed with three different haircut styles and had a fourth separate holo in XY base.
  • Inkay had two cards in XY base, one in the Kalos Starter set, and a XY-P jumbo.
  • Honedge was in the Starter Set, XY base and the XY promo set.
  • Sylveon had an XY promo, the XY Trainer Kit print and was in Furious Fists.
  • Hawlucha had a regular card and an EX in Furious Fists and another XY-P promo.
  • Xerneas and Yveltal had three different artworks in the XY base set alone and have gotten three more promos since.

There's also other factors to consider for why they've printed this line more than the others so far. Kalos Starter and XY base both focused a lot on the early-game Pokemon from XY so Fletchling was a natural choice to toss in. The Fletchling and Fletchinder from Flashfire were from a Fire-based Charizard deck in Japan that got absorbed into the main set here. They're also going to want to place more focus on Kalos Pokemon because they're new, and Fletchinder and Talonflame represent one of the smallest TCG types that sees inflated card counts for all of its members. Their only other choices for Kalos Fire spots are Fennekin, who is typically only to show up with the other Starters, and Litleo and Pyroar who both have two cards too.

Frost said:
RealSlim said:

Well I go by more than just what's in sets so maybe that's the disparity here. Counting these new cards, Fletchling is at four, Fletchinder is at three and Talonflame (if he's even in this set) is only at two.

• Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie were in the Kalos Starter Set, XY base and were XY Promos. (They were also reprinted as McDonald's cards but the only change was the holo pattern.)
  • Chesnaught, Delphox and Greninja were in the Kalos Starter Set, XY base, had EX tin promos, and Greninja had a fourth Darkness card as an XY-P promo.
  • Furfrou has had the same card printed with three different haircut styles and had a fourth separate holo in XY base.
  • Inkay had two cards in XY base, one in the Kalos Starter set, and a XY-P jumbo.
  • Honedge was in the Starter Set, XY base and the XY promo set.
  • Sylveon had an XY promo, the XY Trainer Kit print and was in Furious Fists.
  • Hawlucha had a regular card and an EX in Furious Fists and another XY-P promo.
  • Xerneas and Yveltal had three different artworks in the XY base set alone and have gotten three more promos since.

There's also other factors to consider for why they've printed this line more than the others so far. Kalos Starter and XY base both focused a lot on the early-game Pokemon from XY so Fletchling was a natural choice to toss in. The Fletchling and Fletchinder from Flashfire were from a Fire-based Charizard deck in Japan that got absorbed into the main set here. They're also going to want to place more focus on Kalos Pokemon because they're new, and Fletchinder and Talonflame represent one of the smallest TCG types that sees inflated card counts for all of its members. Their only other choices for Kalos Fire spots are Fennekin, who is typically only to show up with the other Starters, and Litleo and Pyroar who both have two cards too.
I never mentioned Talonflame, and I only count the official sets, I'm not counting promos or baby-sets like Kalos Starter Set. 3 prints in 4 sets, too much for me, that's all. I'm sure you will like to pull tons of Fletchling/Fletchinder to add to your collection, well I don't.

What's the big deal though? If not Fletchling and Fletchinder then it'll just be some other generic common and uncommon in bulk instead. It's not like they're taking the place of anything valuable.

Back