How old is "too old"?

I'm 14 and i don't think that is "too old" but my league leader is like 50 years old and he still plays pokemon :p

The problem with Pokemon is that when you are in grades 0-4 no one really cares. After that you get made fun of, only for the rest of elementary school. I am 12 and I feel emberassed when people see me looking at the cards in target, but do I care? OF COURSE NOT!!! Pokemon should never be judged as a little kids game. Competition to get into worlds is so intense because of all the players there are. At school in 7th grade no one makes fun of me because everybody has a right to do whatever they want. Plus you can easily get in trouble for making fun of someone. I will keep playing until I can't read the cards anymore.

I don't understand why you justify your purchases to anyone (the clerk or whoever else)

First, it's your money you can do what you want with it. People make a lot more embarrassing purchases every day.

Second, when you justify something, you've just made it really obvious to that person that you're buying it for yourself. Seriously, the person working behind the counter really does not care at all what you're buying and why; it's the furthest thing from their minds. When they're daydreaming about their weekend as they scan your product and you break that by telling them about why you're buying a product, you've just alerted them to being 'suspicious' about you. Don't do that. Just buy the product and walk out, head-high.

I know this view isn't popular and I'll probably get some hate for it, but I just can't see myself playing the game after high school. I'd rather be focusing more on other things (girls, job, grades, friends, sports, etc). Not that I don't focus on those things now, but I just see my job and extra classes basically replacing my "Pokemon time." I barely have time for it now. Also, I just can't figure out how to justify spending hundreds of dollars on this game when you've got to pay for college and a place to live and utilities and stuff. Maybe my opinion will change when I get to that point though.

^You can still play Pokemon if you have those things going on.

I'm 22. I just graduated from a very good university and now have a full time job. I also have a boyfriend that I've been dating for 4 years in November and I try to find time on weekdays to walk a mile for exercise. I have friends who play and don't play Pokemon. My other hobbies include traveling (gonna try to plan a trip to Japan next year, and Australia the year after), the PS3, and baseball. I'm in the process of getting a dog too. And maybe a boat.

Regardless of all of this, I still play Pokemon. I may not be a good example right now because I'm selling off most of my collection, but not because I feel I'm too old for the game, but because I don't like the metagame much right now.

See, when you start eliminating hobbies because of 'adult' concerns, you age, and you stop enjoying life. I'm dead serious. Earlier this week I got a text from one of my coworkers saying that he wanted to go to this get-together in the weekend because he felt his life was too adult. When I asked him why it felt so adult, he told me it was because all he did was go to work, hit the gym, and sleep. You don't want to end up like that, it's so boring.

Also, when you start eliminating hobbies to focus on what life deems important, you're hurting yourself professionally. My junior year of college I was taking extra classes, applying for internships, all of that stress, and I practically eliminated all of my hobbies. Not only was I miserable, I was unproductive. And it got worse. Towards the end of the year, my friend got me back into Pokemon by getting me the HGSS game for the DS. Seriously, it was like I was a new person. My relationship with my parents and my boyfriend improved dramatically. I was less stressed about getting a job (and got not one, but two within a few weeks), and got straight A's that semester. The semester after that, in my senior year, I had a full schedule of classes and was working too. The schedule was absolutely gruesome. But since I was playing Pokemon, which I loved, I didn't feel the stresses nearly as bad. My boyfriend learned this the hard way too.. when he went to law school, he gave up all hobbies to study day and night. He didn't do well at all and burnt out. I told him to start back one of his hobbies and once he did, he was more productive, got better grades, and he was a lot less stressed.

Never underestimate the healing power of doing something you love. If you're going to quit something (even Pokemon), do it because you don't love it anymore. But if you really like it, and it brings you happiness, stay with it. It's so hard to find happiness in this world as it is - when you find it, treasure it.

DarkPkmnTrainer said:

I'm 22. I just graduated from a very good university and now have a full time job. I also have a boyfriend that I've been dating for 4 years in November and I try to find time on weekdays to walk a mile for exercise. I have friends who play and don't play Pokemon. My other hobbies include traveling (gonna try to plan a trip to Japan next year, and Australia the year after), the PS3, and baseball. I'm in the process of getting a dog too. And maybe a boat.

Regardless of all of this, I still play Pokemon. I may not be a good example right now because I'm selling off most of my collection, but not because I feel I'm too old for the game, but because I don't like the metagame much right now.

See, when you start eliminating hobbies because of 'adult' concerns, you age, and you stop enjoying life. I'm dead serious. Earlier this week I got a text from one of my coworkers saying that he wanted to go to this get-together in the weekend because he felt his life was too adult. When I asked him why it felt so adult, he told me it was because all he did was go to work, hit the gym, and sleep. You don't want to end up like that, it's so boring.

Also, when you start eliminating hobbies to focus on what life deems important, you're hurting yourself professionally. My junior year of college I was taking extra classes, applying for internships, all of that stress, and I practically eliminated all of my hobbies. Not only was I miserable, I was unproductive. And it got worse. Towards the end of the year, my friend got me back into Pokemon by getting me the HGSS game for the DS. Seriously, it was like I was a new person. My relationship with my parents and my boyfriend improved dramatically. I was less stressed about getting a job (and got not one, but two within a few weeks), and got straight A's that semester. The semester after that, in my senior year, I had a full schedule of classes and was working too. The schedule was absolutely gruesome. But since I was playing Pokemon, which I loved, I didn't feel the stresses nearly as bad. My boyfriend learned this the hard way too.. when he went to law school, he gave up all hobbies to study day and night. He didn't do well at all and burnt out. I told him to start back one of his hobbies and once he did, he was more productive, got better grades, and he was a lot less stressed.

Never underestimate the healing power of doing something you love. If you're going to quit something (even Pokemon), do it because you don't love it anymore. But if you really like it, and it brings you happiness, stay with it. It's so hard to find happiness in this world as it is - when you find it, treasure it.

Well said my friend, well said.

DarkPkmnTrainer said:

I never said I would quit because I was too old; I was saying I wouldn't have time for it. Because I barely have time now, and I imagine college to be more stressful and jam-packed with things. Other hobbies come first for me too (sports, etc). I wouldn't quit because the game is geared towards kids.

Clearly you're a good example of how to balance a lot of things. And maybe I'll end up like that. I haven't really thought a lot about college yet and I'll just have to see how it turns out when I get to that point.

Celebi23 said:
I never said I would quit because I was too old; I was saying I wouldn't have time for it. Because I barely have time now, and I imagine college to be more stressful and jam-packed with things. Other hobbies come first for me too (sports, etc). I wouldn't quit because the game is geared towards kids.

Clearly you're a good example of how to balance a lot of things. And maybe I'll end up like that. I haven't really thought a lot about college yet and I'll just have to see how it turns out when I get to that point.

Trust me college isn't that stressful. I'm a big procrastinator and I still do my work, chill with friends, go out with friends, do other hobbies and play pokemon. It really helps to diversify your life with many activities or just doing work, school, sports will get stale. Believe me, I did this in high school and was very bored in high school.

I was in junior high when the Pokémon TCG came out in the States, and I started getting into it thanks to some friends. Of course, junior high being junior high, some of my friends thought it was silly and childish, and I was kind of embarrassed. In fact, that was probably the point in my life when I was most embarrassed about my enjoyment of Pokémon. I started falling out of it thanks to an increase in other interests, but I recently got back into it earlier this year. I'm currently 25.

Like DPT said above, it's important to have hobbies, fun things that you can do on your own to keep away from the stress of the real world. I have a boyfriend and I work full-time, but I love playing and collecting Pokémon cards because it's a nice, relaxing activity that I enjoy, like reading. A lot of other activities that my friends and acquaintances do don't interest me as much, like clubbing or watching sports or going out to bars and drinking. I guess for me, personally, the Pokémon TCG replaced an old hobby of mine: anime and manga. I kind of got fed up with the industry and the shows that were coming out and the fandom and faded out of it.

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that my age doesn't have anything to do with what I think of Pokémon, and I think it's kind of superficial to judge people's likes and activities solely based on their age. I'm looking forward to continuing my Pokémon hobby as the time goes by, especially joining up with a League once I move to Europe. I'm not naïve enough to think that I'll be playing and collecting forever, but when I do it won't be because I feel I'm too old for it.

DarkPkmnTrainer said:

This, all of this. When I found myself stressed for college decisions and anything remotely related; I turned to Pokemon to cheer myself up. I'm a happier person when it comes to it. Sure I am not going to college, because quite frankly the one in this city had nothing for me (and was one of the worst colleges to go to I might add. ), I am still job searching (in a city that lacks many open jobs... ) but when people tell me to stop playing Pokemon or watching cartoons (I've had a few family members tell me that. ) because it's "childish" or "You need to grow up and get into studying rather than playing games" I tell them no, because at this point, I've already proven to be mature, so why should I give it up to live an "adult life"? I mean really, I already have one, I'm not letting hobbies overthrow what I need, but rather what I need ISN'T HERE. Nor do I see a point in going to college if it's not going to have what I need.

Simply put: as old as you want it to be; as old as you let it be. I'm around your age and have been playing just as long, and although I plan to severely limit my involvement within the next few years, I'll still actively play and enjoy the franchise.

That said, the repercussions for a male who plays into adulthood are far greater than those for a female: the latter is "allowed" by social norms to like cute things, whereas the former runs a high risk of being considered a manchild. I've successfully avoided this stereotype due to being an OG alpha, but alas...Many have not.

At 34 i think the Pokemon are about the best games out on the market. They have incredible amounts of playability and yet at the same time wether you play all day or just 20 minutes at a time you can do alot with the game.Now i have only ever been to one event with the TCG at my age i felt a bit weird but everyone from the youngest player to the gentleman running the event made me feel so comfortable and welcome and honestly cant everyone use some goodwill

You're never too old to do something you enjoy. I'm 23, married and in college. I mean, due to the social stigma, it's true that buying cards at retail stores can be a bit awkward, but in the end, it really isn't anyone's business what you spend your money on but yours. The only reason to ever quit something is if you no longer enjoy it. Don't let other people influence your choices on things like this; it's unhealthy to give others that sort of sway over your life. If you give up Pokemon for fear of ridicule, it won't be long until you're giving up other things you enjoy too. Do what makes you happy because it makes you happy!

I'm 28, I lead my local Pokemon League, and I thoroughly enjoy the TCG and the videogame (although I usually play through the story once and never touch the cartridge again :p)

And yes I must agree with Anavel. Do what YOU want and don't let other people tell you you don't fit a certain trend or that you're "too X" or "not enough X" for anything you enjoy.

Pokemon was meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages, just like mario and zelda. Theres never too old! Video games and TCG games have only been around for a few decades, but when people born in the 80s and 90s are in ther senior years(60-70 year olds) I bet many will still play video games and TCG games, much like todays seniors play bingo, backgammon, and bridge and such. I am 28 and still love the cards, games, anime, toys and all. Its not the only thing Im about though BUT it does bring me joy to just play pokemon or get new collectible or pack- it helps take my mind off of the troubles of life. The news and so many movies and shows are full of death, and mindless viloence, and corruption SO I like pokemon and its stories that are happy, hopeful, and battles that dont kill. LOL And pokemon is a much healthier hobby or stress-release then smoking, drinking, or doing drugs (as too many people do). I also get irritated by cashiers asking me "do i have a kid"? or "you must be like 21 you still like pokemon"? so i just try to shrug it off (and sometimes i do have a small shirt thats way too small for me but will fit my cousin or some of his young friends). There will be critics but I just dont care. I also know people who play who in their 40s and have no kids- kudos to them for also not believing in any age limit.

IMO, I think the "childish" stereotype is due to culture. Anime is the best example. The Yu-gi-oh anime is a teenage anime Japan while it's a kid show due to differences in culture. To an extent, the Naruto anime is another example. Though Naruto(while it has a lot of haters) and several other anime/franchises are lucky compared to Yugioh and Pokemon and the "childish" reputation they have due to their English animes(Naruto is smiliar because most of the haters never dug deep or seen the Japanese version which what most of the older fans watch due to Shippuden being on Disney XD and how slow it's coming out.)

I'm 18 and as of right now, I have no plans to stop collecting the cards. Anyone who says it's childish probably never even looked into it. Many top players are in their teens and 20's. Actually, I think most of the current Pokemon fans started in the first or second generation(and in some cases, the third generation). Nobody can tell you what not to like and what to like.

hunter994x said:
IMO, I think the "childish" stereotype is due to culture.
Isn't that what all stereotypes come from? In each community, we set what traits are characteristic of each age. Many whine about discrimination of race, but discrimination of age is just as prevalent.

I think the reason most people think Pokemon TCG is only for kids is because most older people who play try to hide it. And most probably say to the shopkeepers it's for my nephew etc...

I'm 25 years old. When I buy a pack from, say, Target or whatever, and the clerk is my age, they'll elatedly say that they remember this and tell me how they used to play the card game. So if anything, where I'm at, there seems to be no age limit. Heck, I remember one card tournament I went to, there was a 68-year-old participating. He was trembling and looked like a small town shopkeeper (overalls and all), but he was not ashamed at all.

Remember that chances are there is somebody who looks up to you or admires something you do, or that you are good at something that will really help you later in life. If you study towards a degree (or graduated), or have a job, or demonstrated some kind of talent, and I know anyone who reads this has, do not be ashamed, because you are contributing to society just as much as anyone else, if not more--you just happen to have Pokémon as a hobby. Toughguy actor Vin Diesel's reputation wasn't tarnished just because he's into Dungeons & Dragons. Neither will yours.

hunter994x said:
IMO, I think the "childish" stereotype is due to culture. Anime is the best example. The Yu-gi-oh anime is a teenage anime Japan while it's a kid show due to differences in culture. To an extent, the Naruto anime is another example. Though Naruto(while it has a lot of haters) and several other anime/franchises are lucky compared to Yugioh and Pokemon and the "childish" reputation they have due to their English animes(Naruto is smiliar because most of the haters never dug deep or seen the Japanese version which what most of the older fans watch due to Shippuden being on Disney XD and how slow it's coming out.)

Yu-Gi-Oh! has always been aimed at kids, even in Japan. It's part of the shonen genre, and "shonen" means "young of age" (literally "few years"). It doesn't mean people outside the age range can't like it--One Piece is totally cosmopolitan in its audience in its home country. Say what you want about 4Kids Entertainment, but they handled Yu-Gi-Oh! in America the same way TV Tokyo, Shogakukan, and Shueisha handles Yu-Gi-Oh! in Japan.

Back