Collecting How Do You Organize Your Collection?

raichulover11

Levy-chan
Hi guys! I've been organizing and reorganizing my collection of cards, and I still haven't found a good way to organize. Each way of organizing just feels like it's missing something. Help! :confused:

What ways have you tried to organize your collection? Speaking for myself I'd hate to throw out several suggestions just to find out they've all been tried to no avail.

I know that rarity has been a big 'organizer' since the start of the game. That went on until I think BW. Type/Pokedex number is now how they're doing it from BW until now.

Of course the problems with favorites is that sometimes those change.

Speaking of pokedex, have you tried maybe organizing your collection based on the Pokémon's place in the national pokedex? It would of course be a lot of work since that order would change every single set :rolleyes: but if that style were to work for you it might be worth it. Especially if you didn't blend all the generations together, instead starting a new page on each generation, even if it means one card (that poor Speed Deoxys in my Pokémon binder is alone on a page right now for instance) is left alone for a while.

Or if you have the cards for it, maybe organize them by the set?

Maybe forgo the HP (that has changed so much over the years) and just do it by type and pokedex number?

Oh, man. Words cannot describe my stinginess with card orginization.

I keep 2 seperate boxes. 1 is a Gamestop PSP box, and the other is an Ebay box.

In my Gamestop box, I hold all my Pokemon. I sort them by Type, all evolution lines are kept next to each other, and each individual Type is ordered by the set it appeared in. So, 1 portion of my box might have 3 Machop, 3 Machoke, 3 Machamp, 2 Makuhita, 2 Hariyama, and 1 Landorus in that order, all from Furious Fists.

My second box is used for my Energy and Trainers. Obviously the Energy is sorted based on Type and the Trainers are ordered by Items and Supporters, but the order THOSE are put in are really crazy. In the Item section, I order it by different categories like Poke-balls, healing items, switch cards, search cards, draw cards, misc cards, and then Tools - no particular order, though. My Stadiums are seperated into 2 divisions: 1 for Type-based ones (Fairy Garden) and another for misc ones (Training Center). My Supporters are also seperated based on use. Draw Supporters are at the front, then any cards that are part of villain teams like Flare and Plasma, and then misc ones like Blacksmith and Korrina.

If I get the chance, maybe I'll get around to uploading a few pictures.

I have several of those standard cardboard divider boxes used for cards -- two 2-row, two 4-row, and 1 5-row; as well as three Ultra Pro binders and a bunch of those little binders that release alongside sets occasionally.

I organize them by booster set to begin with, inside the boxes, while keeping a checklist as I open the packs. Once I complete a set, I'll put it in my completed-sets binder by card number. I usually aim to complete a set without having to rely on reverses, but especially for older sets, that's not always possible.

One of my 4-row boxes is dedicated to cards in toploaders and cards in sleeves -- the former being used for ultra rares and generally valuable cards, and the latter being used for reverses (to prevent warping). These are also organized by set. I use Ultra Pro Premium toploaders and sleeves.

Another binder is my holo binder, where most of my holos go (unless they are particularly valuable). Unlike the boxes, I don't organize this by set, but rather by energy type. I always found it to look nicer that way. Plus, I don't have to constantly move cards around inside the pages and risk scuffing the holographics.

Yet another binder is used for my favorite Pokemon and favorite cards in general. Several pages dedicated to Purrloin and Solrock and Leafeon, for instance.

I generally don't use my tins for much storage other than one being used for all my coins. The other like 20 tins are just empty and stacked in my closet, but I'd like to put up a shelf sometime to display them.

That's about it. :p

in my personal experience in sorting (plus having ocd helps a little >.<) i sort 1st by set then in each set by the number ect. basic card 001 goes first then 002 and so on...

When I do sort (I'm lazy with it most of the time), I go by the rule of Set>Type>PokéDex Number>Rarity to be honest. That way, it's all in an order that's familiar and it's easy to find what I need!

This is normally how I do it: I put all holo/foil cards in folders/binders to keep them in perfect condition, I put all my Trainer/Supporter/Stadium cards in an empty ETB or tin, I do the same with my Energy cards, and I put all the other cards in tins. Every rotation I remove now-unplayable Trainer/Supporter/Stadium cards from storage and put them in tins set aside for older cards.

With decks, I usually put them in ETBs or deck storage boxes, all sleeved.

When I do sort my cards, which is usually once a week, I just put everything in set order and have binders for the sets. Personally makes it quick and easy to find what I'm looking for.

My cards are all sorted by language first (English, Japanese, and Dutch) and then by set. I keep URs/SRs in toploaders (I like to be able to look at them easily!) and then all of my Holos/RHs in binders based on set, along with one of each C/U/R in the set. The remaining C/U/R (bulk), I keep in tins or card boxes.

Wow. Well, this is a big question.

1) English card sets are arranged numerically. With sets that have 1st edition forms, I typically notebook them side by side. For example: Card 1 1st Edition, Card 1. Card 2 1st Edition, Card 2. Etc. Shadowless Base Set is an exception. Those cards are notebooked seperately. For cards with reverse foils I typically put them in front of their standard prints. Addtional prints of a card, for example the "fractured foil" versions that were typically included with 3 packs are at the end of the set from which they originated. Currently I have notebooked Base Set through Plasma Freeze. I haven't gone out and bought new notebooks and sleeves in a while, so Plasma Blast through Roaring Skies are currently in standard card boxes numerically arranged. Once I actually buy the notebooks and sleeves they will be notebooked as well.

2) Rare misprints and stamped cards (Prerelease, Prof. Program, States, Regionals, Cons, etc) are currently in a seperate notebook. Currently, I have 20 of my rarest stamped cards on display in a frame. Eventually, most will be displayed in this manner.

3) Theme Deck coins are also notebooked using the same kinds of sleeves used for managing mint coin collections.

4) Pokémon marbles are currently displayed in a giant pokéball display.

5) Plushes are kept in my daughters room for the most part.

6) Tomy figures are currently stored in various rubbermaid tubs.

7) Oversized Vinyl Figures are on shelves throughout my house. These include Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, and Zekrom.

8) Artifacts from my Top 14 position from the Emerald Brain Battle tournament are framed and displayed in my bedroom. This includes the certificate I received from the tournament, the Rayqauza T-shirt I got for competing, the letter I got from Nintendo of America verfiying my attendence, newpaper clippings associated with it, and photos. I also have the copy of Pokémon Box and the Pikachu Game Boy Advance SP I got as prizes on a shelf. I also have 2 Rayquaza promotional standees from the event.

9) A complete set of unopened Burger King toys from the 1st Movie are in storage with the Tomy figures, as well as several opened ones.

10) All of the badges, patches, etc I have earned from Pokémon Leagues from 1999 to present are shadowboxed.

There's probably more.. you get the idea. I have too much stuff. To give you an idea, these are some pics I took of my collection 5 years ago... Like last image shows, most of my collection is boxed and in storage.
189730_820697623551_1826122_n.jpg
190413_820697997801_6476984_n.jpg
199812_821027108261_3040921_n.jpg
199130_820698112571_7827387_n.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a picture I took of my current collection. I put every common, uncommon and rare in the binder by number. Each binder contains up to 4 sets. I put the reverse over the non reverse unless it's a holo, then I put the reverse backwards behind the card. There is only 2 cards for any one slot. I don't put any ultra rares in the binder but I do leave spaces for the ex's/secret rares. They are in toploaders. Each stack has about 60 cards.

The top binder is my duplicate holos/as well as holos for any sets not in my 3 binders, aka sets I don't collect except the ex's. For example Next Destinies or Roaring Skies are in there. I don't currently have a good place for duplicate reverses. I put all my duplicate reverses of holos into mystery mini boxes by set and they warped, so now they are in a stack under some packs.

My first binder, the blue one contains Plasma Freeze, Boundaries Crossed, Plasma Blast and Plasma Storm. The red binder has XY, Furious Fists, Flashfire and Phantom Forces and the silver binder has Dragons Exalted and Primal Clash. Since Primal Clash to so big I may just put 3 sets in it.

Right now I usually just put duplicate commons/uncommons/rares back in their sleeves. I think selling them bulk like would be a good idea though I don't know how to.
tumblr_nos42lJD771r12rm4o5_r1_1280.jpg

I'm not a big collector, so everything I organize it in ways that help me find what I'm looking for faster from a deckbuilding standpoint. I first have all my cards that are out of standard in tins organized by type and not much else, since I don't often need to find them. Then I have the cards in standard organized by type, then alphabetically. This keeps all the different Machops for example together, so if I need one, I can easily find all of them faster than if they were by organized by set. Trainers are separated into Items, Tools, Supporters and Stadiums, then alphabetically in those categories. Basic Energy are all kept in tins and sorted by type, while special energy are usually at the end of my Trainers, and also alphabetically.

I have 4 different collections going on.

My first collection is doing one set to represent each generation.
My second collection is XY onward, only collecting sets I like (Japanese and english or sometimes just english).
Third collection, random cards I like
and finally my fourth collection - larvesta/volcarona collection.

now card rarity comes into play a little differently, the second collection is the only time I separate the ex/full arts/secret rare from the rest of the set. They are in top loaders and are placed in an elite trainer box. All other collections have the ultra rares in the binders and are double sleeved.

Why I do this I have no clue. I think it's mostly to separate the ultra rares from the other cards so everything looks clean and your eye doesn't automatically go to the ultra rare, you can appreciate all the cards individually.

Nowadays I use the National Dex order, but before I used the evolutionary order that first appeared in the Japanese Diamond/Pearl series' (i.e. that DPBP number at the bottom right corner).

I organize my collection binder by Pokemon # order, unless there's late-comer pre-evolutions or evolutions. Then those go with the original, like how there's Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, and Wigglytuff, or Zubt, Golbat, Crobat. My collection is huge, so 1 3" binder is 1-152 and the other 3" is 153-up. Re-watching the anime is helping me get familiar with what order they are all in when I have to dig through my later book for trading/supreme deck building.

In my deck builder box, I have expanded and standard cards organized the same way but sectioned in colors. Colorless, fire, fighting, electric, grass, water, psychic, fairy, steel, dragon, darkness. If a stage 1 or 2 evolution is a dragon or fire but the basic is another color or colorless, I put that chain in the final evolved color section. Like, dratini starts as water or colorless, but dragonair and dragonite are dragon, that whole evolution is in dragon. Then it's Items, tools, supporters, and special energies divided in another section. My excess/old bulk is much the same way, but I keep those in the elite trainer boxes and use a M:TG card box for my deck building stuff (omg I love those professor challenges at my league, ahha)

I just organize my cards the same way that TPCI does by set/set #. I put 1 of each for my big binder organized that way and all of my extras get sorted into the same order and stored in long boxes that I have labeled after each set. BW black star promos and the XY promos get their own separate pages and boxes. If I ever need to build a deck, I know exactly what cards are in what set (based on memory but Pokebeach helps with that) to go immediately to the section of my long box that would hold the cards.

I feel like how TPCI does it now (BW-on) is the most efficient way of going about it.

Adding to the comments, I've done my collection similar to how a few people replied here: Having a binder per generation (gen 1, 2, 3, etc. Though gen 3 required 2 binders) and having a card box for duplicate common/uncommon/normal rare cards that are no longer legal. Ive also used the tins to store duplicates that ARE legal, along with trainers.

Of course, when you're like me and jump on and off the tcg, it gets a bit daunting to organize what you've backlogged on ^ ^'

Back