Pokemon How do you feel about the new type chart? Would you change anything?

Poison Master

Aspiring Trainer
I always thought Poison should be super effective against Fighting at the very least. Fighting is the most human-like of the types, and obviously Poison is destructive against us. Also, Poison should be effective against water with the whole pollution angle.

I always thought Ice should resist Water and be super effective against it. Ice changes water into itself.

RE: Revised Type Chart

Poison Master said:
I always thought Poison should be super effective against Fighting at the very least. Fighting is the most human-like of the types, and obviously Poison is destructive against us. Also, Poison should be effective against water with the whole pollution angle.

I always thought Ice should resist Water and be super effective against it. Ice changes water into itself.

In that sense, poison should be super-effective on every thing, because poison tends to be lethal to all living things. Fighting has nothing to do with humans either.

Pokequaza said:
Poison Master said:

In that sense, poison should be super-effective on every thing, because poison tends to be lethal to all living things. Fighting has nothing to do with humans either.

Then why does Poison resist Fighting?

[split] Revised Type Chart

Since the new type chart is already revealed this discussion is no longer applicable for Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. If you want to discuss the Pokémon Type Chart you can post in the General Pokémon Discussion.

Edit: I split the posts from the original thread and moved it to the appropriate forum so you can continue the discussion here!

Poison Master said:
Pokequaza said:

Then why does Poison resist Fighting?

Why does Water resist Steel? Sometimes they just do, for the sake of keeping the type chart somewhat balanced.

Because of rust.

And sorry, Drohn. Shouldn't this be locked or something, then?

I will turn your posts into a new thread and move it to the correct forum so you can continue the discussion.

some changes that should be made:

Dragon:
-make it NVE on Ice
-give it a weakness to Steel

that kinda makes it even more balanced with Fairy as well

Ice:
-resistant to Dragon and Ground
-remove its weakness to Rock and Steel (I wanted to remove 2 and those seemed the best ones to remove... so yea)

I'm good with how it is right now, but it will take a little to get used. They should get rid of Steel being weak to Ground because it makes no sense since Steel carves the ground as good as it does with Rock. Also, Electric resisting Flying makes no sense (I saw tornadoes plucking electric towers just fine), it should be Neutral. Nothing else I think.

Dragon Pokémon said:
Something, anything, should really be immune to Fairy. I don't care if it's Bug-Type, Fairy needs a nerf.

Meh, Fairy doesn't look like its gonna be crazy overpowered.

The only really annoying thing about Fairy is its weaknesses.
Steel and Poison have always been lackluster in terms of coverage - Fighting is just better coverage than Steel in every way, and Poison's always been more of a defensive type - prior to gen6, it only hit Grass for SE damage which can be done much better with a Fire move.

I think they did go a bit overboard with its resistances tho.... Fighting+Dark resistance is nice, and Dragon immunity was a much-needed godsend, but they shouldn't have made it Bug resistant, if anything Bug should be the one resisting Fairy.

3 NVE
2 resistance
1 immunity
3 SE

its not like, massively game-changing, altho the balancing thing could've been done in a better way.
(not to mention everyones favorite magma-melting-iron-thingy Heatran will probably become the no.1 Fairy counter in the game)

We also don't know the Pokemon that have Fairy.
A good type is nothing on a bad Pokemon - I remember when we first got B/W and everyone went crazy due to finding out about this Dragon/Ice type, turns out its not that great until it gets two awesome new formes.

Its better balanced than Dragon was prior to the introduction of Fairy.

Ice could also use a boost. It's weaker than it's ever been, it's getting Bug-bad. Things never get Bug-bad. Maybe more resistances (I hate to say it, but resist Dragons) or more strengths/immunities (To Fairy...?) but this type desperately needs something to make it more important and powerful overall.

I'd like to give Ice a mutual super effectiveness between itself and Rock, and a mutual resistance between itself and Water. Ice effect erosion much more than water, through glacial drift, through expansion of freezing water, etc. Ice actually is water, and if Water type gets a resistance to Ice, it should work the other way as well.

I think Grass should have a resistance to Fairy, in the same way that Fire and Steel do. Fae can be warded off by silver and meteoric iron (steel), burning leather (fire), and many different herbs (grass)

I'd like to transfer Dark's new regular effectiveness against Steel to Psychic. I always thought that Ghost and Psychic should affect Steel types normally. Ghost because they're immaterial, and Psychic because they are mental attacks, and would be unaffected by the metallic bodies, and there are old legends that say some metals increase psionic power (like gold in Japan).

It's all right, but not perfect. The biggest problem with the type chart right now is that Ice is pitiful defensively. Also, every type that is useful against Fairy (Poison, Steel, and Fire) is weak to Ground, but that's not quite as problematic. Anyway, here's what I'd do to the type chart:

-Remove Ghost and Fairy's resistance to Bug
-Give Ice resistance to Grass and Ground
-Give Grass a resistance to Fairy

I'm not sure this would be absolutely perfect, but it'd be an improvement over what we currently have.

Bolt the Cat said:
It's all right, but not perfect. The biggest problem with the type chart right now is that Ice is pitiful defensively. Also, every type that is useful against Fairy (Poison, Steel, and Fire) is weak to Ground, but that's not quite as problematic. Anyway, here's what I'd do to the type chart:

-Remove Ghost and Fairy's resistance to Bug
-Give Ice resistance to Grass and Ground
-Give Grass a resistance to Fairy

I'm not sure this would be absolutely perfect, but it'd be an improvement over what we currently have.

1 - agreed; Bug should've been the one to resist Fairy, not the other way round.

2 - Give Ice a resistance to Ground and Dragon instead of Grass; Dragon would be so much better in terms of balancing. (and anyway it helps Grass not get too bad)

3 - That sounds good; it also provides a handy resistance to Grass which is a good thing.

I think one of the real problems with Ice types is not just that they suck defensively, it's that GF seem to think it's a defensive typing when it just isn't. Ice Pokemon have usually struck me as glass cannons (think Weavile), but GF seem to think that it's good to make Ice walls.
Notable examples (who rarely see high tiers):
-Articuno (the Flying type arguably makes it worse than a pure Ice type)
-Regice (sitting in NU whilst Registeel is happy a few tiers above)
-Cryogonal/Avalugg - these are debatable since they both have good defenses one side but awful the other; Cryogonal dies to any physical attack and Avalugg doesn't enjoy taking any special attack either.

if their Rock and Steel weaknesses were taken away and they gained resistances to Ground and Dragon then they could have nice usage, but as it stands they suck.

IMO Fairy should of been weak to Ice instead of Steel, so that Fairy types don't make Ice types COMPLETELY useless.

Blob55 said:
IMO Fairy should of been weak to Ice instead of Steel, so that Fairy types don't make Ice types COMPLETELY useless.

But, Ice is already a great offensive type!

I can definitely agree with it resisting Fairy, but maybe not being SE on it - and anyway, Steel is a great weakness conceptually for Fairy.

Ice isn't completely useless... BoltBeam is still one of the better attacking combinations and it does provide very handy coverage for anything that gets it (read: every Water type to exist).

I've already touched upon this, but I think Ice being crap defensively is only half the problem; GF seem to have this totally crap idea that Ice is a defensive type when it just isn't.
I've always thought Ice should be the glass cannon type Pokemon... Hit hard and fast, but not have the bulk to take too many hits, however GF seem to think that it's best to put most of their stats in defense.... its similar to Rock types, GF seem to think that they should be the most defensive Pokemon but their types are just awful. (see: Probopass, Bastiodon and Aggon)
It's actually kind of ironic since Aurorus, the first Rock/Ice Pokemon isn't actually defensively based, which is a bit off considering that GF has this dumb idea that Ice and Rock are both defensive typings. Maybe they actually realised it sucked defensively :p
But seriously, Aurorus is looking to be one of the worst typed fossil Pokemon.... At least Archeops has amazing attack and speed stats to take advantage of before Defeatist kicks in.
Aurorus is 4x weak to one of the most common offensive types, 2x weak to 4 others (well, Grass isn't hugely common), and its second 4x weakness is probably gonna get more prominence due to the advent of Fairy.
Welcome to NU, Aurorus!
(its just a shame that Aurorus' type sucks, since design wise it is pure aces)

Like, I think Ice types should be built more like Weavile as opposed to Avalugg, Articuno and the rest - well, Avalugg maybe not the best example, because it's defense is great but it's special defense isn't.

But both aurorus and amaura have high HP, moderate sp. att/defenses and crap speed, how are they not defensively based?

I think the deal with ice is that conceptually is a very ambiguous type. On one hand, we get the moves: ice has been an "element" for who knows how long; in many works of fantasy, sci-fi, etc, ice (or cold) is a very harmful and cool (pun absolutely intended) power.
But then we have the concepts for the pokemon; physically, ice is heavy, ice is big, and most ice types are bulky. The smaller fully evolved ice types are glaceon (winter/snow, and it comes from eevee, so there's not so much room for physical variation), weavile (an ice-dwelling creature, right), delibird (santa), froslass (a japanese youkai) and cryogonal (a very angry snowflake), other ice types are based in real creatures, who tend to be quite bulky, because of fur and blubber (piloswine, dewgong, mamoswine, beartic, lapras), and the rest are more varied, but they are all predominately slow and bulky, even articuno has more defenses than offenses.

The aurora concept from amaura and aurorus could have been a great basis for a fast ice type (especially since they are good with electric moves too), but they paired it with sauropods... so it would be silly to make them fast.

professorlight said:
But both aurorus and amaura have high HP, moderate sp. att/defenses and crap speed, how are they not defensively based?

The aurora concept from amaura and aurorus could have been a great basis for a fast ice type (especially since they are good with electric moves too), but they paired it with sauropods... so it would be silly to make them fast.

I've just sort of seen them as good all-rounders with no major emphasis on one stat (as opposed to say, Archeops, who is clearly a sweeper).

I think its fairest to say that they're supposed to be bulky attackers, altho I'm not quite sure how well they'd fare in competitive tho.

P.DelSlayer said:
professorlight said:

I've just sort of seen them as good all-rounders with no major emphasis on one stat (as opposed to say, Archeops, who is clearly a sweeper).

I think its fairest to say that they're supposed to be bulky attackers, altho I'm not quite sure how well they'd fare in competitive tho.

Well, so far my aurora hasn't done so bad, I tried to compensate for her oh-so-many weaknesses by training her in defense, half in HP and the rest to sp. defense and sp attack (in hindsight, I should have gone all out with HP). But competitively the poor thing doesn't stand a chance, so many weaknesses are a liability, especially in a ennviroment where every pokemon is designed to have as much coverage as posible.
Maybe the problem is that their base stats are wrong... with so many weaknesses, only some shuckle-level defenses or chansey-level HP is enough to level the field a little.

Back