How do you Detect Hacked or Tempered Pokemon?

..--XXPokemonXX--..

Aspiring Trainer
How is it that the professors at the VGC determine if a Pokemon is hacked or tempered with. Besides from the obvious indications like ,the ID of the pokemon is 00001 or 0000 or It knows moves it normally it can't learn ex. Blastoise knowing energy ball
or
If you have a shiny starter, it should only be in a pokeball, not in a great ball, dive ball or a master ball.
or
Found in an invalid or a Route that isn't it's habitat (or not roaming)
or
Met at a level that you can't meet a pokemon at.

Getting back to my question can they actually tell apart if the pokemon has ev's at the max possible natural state, and all the stats and moves at possible natural state.
If it really possible to know ?
Also if they are how do they know, any external device that they use or any information that conflicts from they experience or anything "outa wack".

Al the least i am just concerned, as hacked pokemon are becoming a major problem.So how can you tell if a pokemon is hacked or tempered with?

Thank you Forum!
..--XXPOKEMONXX--..

RE: How to Detect Hacked or Tempered Pokemon?

There's a special software that exists that can analyze the contents of the Battle Box and tell if something is wrong or amiss. This not only detects things such as Pokemon caught in the wrong location, but also more subtle things such as erroneous combinations of egg moves (e.g. an Azumarill with Aqua Jet and Belly Drum).

I'm fairly sure that this software comes to TOs from TPCi for VGCs, but I believe there's also a third-party version that does exactly the same thing (I don't know where to get that, though).

So yeah, they can tell. They can tell everything.

Of course, that's only at the competitive level. If you're talking about random things you got in a trade, there is no way to tell unless something is obviously wrong with it.

You can get any IDs, even 00000 and 00001 and such, btw.

Apart from that, yeah, it's special software that'll analyze the Pokemon for anything wrong. Not sure how specific it gets, though. Pokecheck has a their own hack check and one similar (or identical, I don't really use it) to Nintendo's used at tournaments and such. If you wanted to just see on your own, you could do that or just look to see if anything is obviously wrong with it, such as name, moves, stats, etc.

use of AR can't be detected and uploading to Pokecheck can't be detected, either (Downloading can though)

Cooltrainer Alan said:
use of AR can't be detected and uploading to Pokecheck can't be detected, either (Downloading can though)

Actually, not all downloading can be detected. If you export the .pkm file and use PokeGTS, it won't have any clone symbols (ribbons in Pokecheck's case).

If you want to check the legality of a Pokemon you received via trade, upload it to Pokecheck, simple as that. Their LA is much better.

~AoH

I use Pokegts.us for cloning, send to my white, then trade to my white 2. My pokemon are legit but I use Pokegen to EV train now haha.

^Big difference between legit and legal, fyi. I wouldn't go Genning madly when you can do it the quality way. Then again, I don't think any legality checker can pick it up. It takes human insight for that.

On a similar note, I've always wondered if hacking through the name rater's restriction on traded pokemon's nicknames raises any flags.

~AoH

Yeah It's just me being lazy. To gen a new nickname, put Name\FFFF\0000(this is times the number of spaces left in the name)\FFFF

That shows up legal, but I have noticed that the trash bytes are not always 0000 so there could be issues, so just use 10 symbol nicknames to be safe if your doing that. I mostly though, just use gen to change nicknames of traded pokemon instead of trying to RNG the name/ID/SID to change names.

Also, I used to want an AR to do a cheat for nickname changes, but there hasn't been one since Platinum as far as I know.

You don't need to tell anyone how to do that on Gen. I'm just wondering if renaming a traded Pokemon would raise a flag or anger the trader into pointing it out as a hack. Hmm...

EDIT: To prevent spam, can we just take this to PM or Visitor Message? Thanks.

~AoH

AoH said:
You don't need to tell anyone how to do that on Gen. I'm just wondering if renaming a traded Pokemon would raise a flag or anger the trader into pointing it out as a hack. Hmm...

EDIT: To prevent spam, can we just take this to PM or Visitor Message? Thanks.

~AoH
Actually, if you RNG abuse your TID/SID (called Pandora's Box abuse) on the same game version of the same language area, and use the same name and gender, you can rename the pokemon legally (since the pokemon will now match your Trainer info). Using this method you can even rename event pokemon without any form of cheat. Anyway, the easiest way to detect hacks is to upload them to a legality site like the aforementioned one and ask some of the legality experts in the shoutbox to take a look at it. regarding the legality analysis in general, red indicates hacked and yellow/orange means unusual.

If the pokemon was given an offensive name, I have no problem with changing ONLY the name in an editor, as long as you leave everything else as it is.

Back