Houndoom (Prime) from Undaunted (#82) [8/30]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
82-houndoom.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1.) The card itself isn't very good. With a flippy Poke-Power, and a costly attack that you can't even use DCE with, Houndoom Prime has no potential whatsoever. 110 HP is OK, but the Weakness is horrible. Being one-shotted by Donphan Prime and with the threat of Machamp being right around the corner, Houndoom Prime just isn't good enough.
2.) None. It's not even worth teching into a Houndoom (discarding one, for you all who are confused), deck, simply because it takes too much time to charge up and to be useful. The Poke-Power is flippy. And for Burn, you also need to flip, for a whole two damage counters. No thanks.
3.) I guess you could try using it with Blaziken FB LV.X. Blaziken FB LV.X does more damage with its Poke-Body when the opponent is Burned, but it's better to just use Luring Flame rather than praying for heads.
4.) This is one of the worst Primes I've seen. 1.5/5.
5.) It's just OK for my standards.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
-honestly, this card cannot stand on its own. the damage output is weak, and has low HP. its only worth being played as a status inflicter

-none currently

-it could be used nicely with leafeon UD along with roserade UL to completely burn poison and confuse your opponents benched pokemon. then doing 150dmg with 1{C} with leafeon

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
3/5
5. How's the artwork?
looks pretty B.A.
5/5

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or has potential? Is it worth playing?

Looking at this card, Houndoom is a card meant to be on its own for it seems to be focused as a primary attacker. Houndoom Prime's Poke-power lets you flip a coin. If you get heads, the defending Pokemon gets burned. This can act as a potent Plus-power considering the fact your opponent flips a coin between turns to put damage counters on the burned Pokemon or not. Its attack, Dark Clamp, does 70, and the defending can't retreat during your opponent's next turn. Well, a flippy and a rather expensive attack that can't abuse DCE is quite a problem for this card since there can be better options compared to it. Overall, I would say this card is good on its own, but it doesn't have much potential and it is not worth playing.

As of now, there is no metagame deck that uses Houndoom at this very moment. However, if it were, I could imagine that it would probably be used as a straight Houndoom deck that focuses on Houndoom Prime as the primary attacker.

I can't really see Houndoom being comboed with a lot cards. Blaziken FB Lv.X probably has to be the best partner since Blaziken's body increases damage from attacks done onto burned Pokemon by 40. Since Houndoom's power can burn, Blaziken can help it boost its attack so that it can be hitting for 110, or maybe even 130 with an Expert Belt attached (or even 160 if you can get three special darks and an Expert Belt on it). Now that could make Houndoom Prime one hard-hitting attacker as one may usually think.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you would give it that rating.

I would give Houndoom Prime a 1.5/5. Sadly, Houndoom isn't really a good card to use right now. First off, as an attacker, its slow since it can't use DCEs, and the fact it needs three energies to attack means that many cards can out-speed it before it even attacks. Secondly, the Poke-power isn't that good since its flippy, and Blaziken PT is much better in terms like this since Blaziken PT can auto-burn no matter what compared to Houndoom's version. Yet, it could make a nice combo with Blaziken FB, but otherwise, that's about it. Houndoom is probably one of the worst Primes to date since there isn't anything really good about it.

5. How's the artwork?

The artwork is at least impressive. The darkened moon in the background certainly adds a sinister theme to this card, especially how Houndoom's face looks pretty evil in the artwork too. Hideaki Hakozaki did an impressive job with the art that's for sure.

1. No potential. It's a pretty bad card, as it's attack does little damage for 3 energy. The power is bad, just a worse version of Blazkien PT's "Fire Breath". Not a good card.
2. Absolutley none. It will never get one, either.
3. You can always combo dark cards with dark energy. Blazkien FB Lv.X is a decent combo, along with heatran Lv.X. But all this can be accomplished easier with Blazkien PT.
4. 1/5. Really sucky card.
5. 4/5 The artwork is cool, and so is Houndoom in the picture.

1 Well the damage that this card does is good it works with special dark energy cards and they cant retreat during there next turn.

2 I dont know what meta game would this be populer in.

3 It would be good with blaziken fb

4 i give this a three out of five

5 The art work is alright.

It's flippy, bad synergy, and not the greatest side effect to use. 3 energy for only 70, DCE can't help, and it doesn't work well with other cards
None
You could use it with any card really. The only potential it has is continuously locking a starting card like Spiritomb until a benched pokemon is ready, switch out, and sweep. Only problem, no synergy on Houndoom
2/5 stars
5. How's the artwork? Awesome, I love the design on this card, and how great the scan was :p

Yeah! A scan from me :D

This card definitely stands on its own, the poke power help you to weak the defense pokemon, and the attack ends the work, and just for 3 energy!. But is weak to fighting pokemon, so any hitmon pokemon would take advantage.
With Typlosion in the bench, houndoom is ok, and all for just one energy.
So, I prefer the fire/Typlosion deck.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?,
With Typlosion in your bench and some energys, you will have many chances to take the prices. You charge Houndoom and send it to offense position, then when you feel ready and you have the cards, you replaces Houndoom for Typlosion.
I put this card a 4/5, for just one reason...Houndoom must have two attacks, one offense and one for stand against other pokemon.
5. How's the artwork?
The art work is ok! but as I say, I didn´t like the Prime concept.

1. This card is decent, not much wrong, but not much right. It has some degree of potential with 70-100 damage for 3 energy. This card is one option for a mono-dark heavy hitter.
2. I don't know. It's relatively new and seems to be very unpopular.
3. Leafeon UD. Use Fire Breath to try to increase Leafeon's Miasma Wind damage. Unlike Sleep, Burn lasts until treated. Dark Clamp can also help.
4. 3/5. It is average. Better than Slowking and Blissey Primes, but nothing compared to Tyranitar, Donphan, Crobat, Ursaring, Kingdra, or Typhlosion. However, not the worst card ever, as heavily implied. Koga's Beedrill and the majority of E-Card series holos are far worse.
5. I love it. Worthwhile to look at it. Makes it a good binder card 5/5.

1. The card itself is not very good, but I still love it. I like to make rogue decks with flippy cards like this. I have already used Torkoal UL. xP
2. None, but you can play this as rogue with Blaziken FB Lv.X.
3. As sayed, you can use Blaziken FB Lv.X with this. You can (luckily) burn your opponent's active Pokemon with Houndoom Prime and hit more with Blaziken FB Lv.X.
4. Not very good, but I want to test this as rogue. :D 3.5/5
5. The art is OK for Prime card. 3/5.

I don't like this card, very flippy and with a low energy cost for his attack. And with only 110PV it can be kocnked out very quickly. And the weakness against Promocroak is very bad.

None (for now). And I think that it won't be used.

With Skuntank G and Leafeon UD it can be funny. But his power is too much flippy..

2/5. Unplayable IMHO.

5. How's the artwork?
I don't like it. A very bad card. 2/5 again.

The card is more of a stand alone card. possible combo with blaziken fb. I think it is a mediocre card at best. Its not worth being played at the moment but i think its worth looking into.

2. What popular metagame decks is it used in? None as of yet.

Special Darks. If you could get out 3 sp darks (unlikely but possible with EE) his lame attack becomes a little well... less lame.

2.5/5. I'm bias towards Houndoom. but even though its power is flippy i think could also be a game changer.

5. How's the artwork? 1.5/5. COME ON! Houndoom is such a sweet pokemon. give him artwork that does him justice!

1. It has almost no potential on its own, a bad attack, terrible weakness, and flippy power don't give it any kind of advantage.

2. None...

3. Leafeon UD as a tool to burn people, though the flipping isn't really helpful.

4. 1/5, it's just bad.

5. It's okay, probably one of the worse primes in terms of art though.

dmaster said:
Guiding questions:
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1. This is simply a garbage Prime. It cannot stand on it's own despite being built to stand on it's own. 3 Energy isn't bad, if it has DCE. This card cannot use DCE however making this card slow with to low of power. 110 HP won't last long with the amount of energy required to attack. The only way this card could be played is if it's power didn't require a flip.

2. Absol...Absolutely none! This card doesn't merit a deck.

3. I GUESS you could use with the other, better Houndoom from the set. The obvious special {D} go with it, at least boosting the power. I suppose Blaziken FB works with it as well, albeit not as good as Blaziken PT (which ironically has a similar attack for less energy and power in Clutch and a flipless burn power).

4. 1/5 for having the ability to use special {D} to make it less bad. I have said nothing but bad, but honestly, this card is just too average. This card would have been better as a Lv. X with body that could make it part fire or part dark, a power without flip, and either lower Energy cost or being capable of using DCE.

5. To top off this ****sundea it's artwork left a bitter aftertaste. I would rate it 2/5. I LOVE Houndoom and this is probably my least favorite artwork for it. I think the moon behind it is the coolest part. This Houndoom has this ridiculous smirk as to say, "Haha I'm not Umbreon Prime!" or he is happy to see you sad that you pulled him. I'm also sick of pulling him.

1) 3 NRGs for just 70? (80 with a special Darkness) I think thats just bad, well the defending pokemon can't retreat but that's all. Power is 50-50 that it works and then again 50-50 that the Pokemon get Burn damage. Weekness is just bad, cards like Donphan Prime or Toxicroak G laugh about Houndoom Pime D: But I wonder about the retreat, I thought such Pokemon like Houndoom get 0 retreat :O

2) I dunno any O;

3) Maybe with Blaziken FB Lv. X? But I think that this Combo is just crap caus it's 50-50 that it works and Blaziken have more potential than using Houndoom Prime as support D;

4) 1/5 Yea it's crap D:

5) Don't like most of the Artworks Primes have...

dmaster said:
Guiding questions:
5. How's the artwork?

Well, standing on it's own it's nothing special. 70 damage for 3 energy cost is simply too much and would take a lot of effort charging. It can't even use Double Colorless Energy. However, I think it has a lot of potential if you combine it with the right tools. You should run Houndoom Prime with Blaziken FB Lv.X. That way, Houndoom can do 130 damage a turn. Yeah, I know, Houndoom is slow, but you can use a starter pokémon like Spiritomb AR to stall a little bit in the beginning of the match. For new players Houndoom can be a great solution, because it's an easy-played deck. All you gotta' do is get your Blaziken FB Lv.X in play, and charge up a Houndoom. Then you suddenly can do massive damage.

Other combos you could try combining it with is the new Leafeon from the same set of cards. Leafeon takes adventage of special conditions on your opponents pokémon, which makes Houndoom a fine teammate for Leafeon.

I give it a 3/5, seeing that if played well it could win a few matches. Also, I would not be surprised seeing juniors win tournaments with Houndoom Prime.

The artwork is ok I guess, but I don't really like the Prime designs. They show too little of their bodies.

I do run a disruption deck for fun that has Houndoom Prime and 3 Houndooms from the new set. I can do 110 for a Speicial Darkness and an E-belt (see pic below). I run the Prime for its ability, so I play it.
You can use it like I do, but that is preaty much the only way.
You can use him with Blaziken X or the new Leafeon, but that is all.
I give it a 1/2 JUST BECAUSE I USE IT FOR FUN.
5. How's the artwork?
4/5 I like how Houndoom, Umbreon, and Espeon all have a moon or sun in the backround of the prime.{D}

Attachments

• houndoom.gif
    houndoom.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 12
Guiding questions:

The card is bad on its own. A Stage 1 is supposed to have some speed but it takes 3 Energy to attack, and DCE can't help. And it only does 70 damage...the effect is nice, stopping retreat but either 70 would have killed the Pokemon or it is a Pokemon which was going to attack you anyway. Its PokePower is better, but flippy: And burn isn't very powerful either on its own. I would rather use Blaziken PT because it is a sure fire burn.

None. And I don't think it will ever end up in a popular deck.

Blaziken FB X for extra damage, and Leafeon UD for another special condition for more damage.

1/5. Nearly the worst Prime in the set: only Slowking would beat it.

5. How's the artwork?

Houndoom doesn't look evil enough. I don't like it 2/5

Back