Hoopa Unbound Revealed in 'CoroCoro' [4/12]

There is not any set definition on what a Pokemon can or cannot be. While most might be similar in physiology, nothing says a new type of Pokemon with different attributes unlike any other can't come along. That is what makes Pokemon exciting. It would have been boring to see something like we've already seen before. Hoopa-U is something new and unique.

Maserati777 said:
For the record Haunter is a ghost, it's not a solid being that controls it arms telepathically to float. Exeggcute is just 6 individual eggs that each have a brain and can move by themselves and are not controlled telepathically by one brain....

Well, as MegaBeedrill had mentioned, there is Claydol.
From the Emerald pokedex it says that it controls its arms with psychic powers and that they are separate from its body.

Most of those pokemon in Leaf_Ranger's list are not controversial at all, I don't know why they are even named on the list. Someone who might have something against pokemon due to it being causing controversy in their view certainly wont pick most of those pokemon out. When someone has something to say about why one should not be watching or get involved in pokemon games, they now will point to hoopa unbound as the main reason to justify why one should not affiliate with the franchise.

We are just saying its design will cause controversy, and in our opinion it doesn't look like a pokemon, meaning its not what we've had up to this point. There are so many distinguishing features, most of them have been named here. I think this is what I would pick as it not looking like a pokemon, its many features compared to other pokemon. Having details within the body of the pokemon is different from the details of the overall body shape.

I just hope in the next movie what looks like it is based around in an middle Eastern or north African like place for inspiration, that they don't include any elements in the story that relates to Religion. Also in the TCG I hope they change the category name of hoopa u. It's good that they have changed the English movie name to something different as well compared to the Japanese version.

HA559 said:
We are just saying its design will cause controversy, and in our opinion it doesn't look like a pokemon, meaning its not what we've had up to this point. There are so many distinguishing features, most of them have been named here. I think this is what I would pick as it not looking like a pokemon, its many features compared to other pokemon. Having details within the body of the pokemon is different from the details of the overall body shape.

We had countered every single one of the distinguishing features that had been given so far in this thread.
If anyone still thinks that every Pokemon has an overall same details and body shape that is really weird because I don't see anything that Kyurem-B shares with Lotad or Spiritomb in their designs.
You can certainly claim that the design of Hoopa-U is unique and has never seen before but it doesn't mean that it doesn't look like a Pokemon.

HA559 said:
...they now will point to hoopa unbound as the main reason to justify why one should not affiliate with the franchise.

I just hope in the next movie what looks like it is based around in an middle Eastern or north African like place for inspiration, that they don't include any elements in the story that relates to Religion. Also in the TCG I hope they change the category name of hoopa u. It's good that they have changed the English movie name to something different as well compared to the Japanese version.

"in our opinion it doesn't look like a pokemon, meaning its not what we've had up to this point"

By that logic anything from GS on didn't look like pokemon. How could there be new pokemon if they didn't look different than those before?

As for number of features, do the Kyurem formes bother you too?

And what's your issue with the movie title?

Why should religious elements be off-limits? while myths in general are okay? Why?

Mitja said:
HA559 said:
...they now will point to hoopa unbound as the main reason to justify why one should not affiliate with the franchise.

"in our opinion it doesn't look like a pokemon, meaning its not what we've had up to this point"

By that logic anything from GS on didn't look like pokemon. How could there be new pokemon if they didn't look different than those before?

Why should religious elements be off-limits? while myths in general are okay? Why?

Most of those in favour of hoopa u design say its better to have something different, it being unique, that means its not what we've already have. The reason why I like pokemon more than yu-gi-oh and digimion since the start its becuase it had less features in its monsters than the others, it seemed more friendly, for me when I was small Yu-gi-oh seemed over the top ( for me), and that was no one telling me don't watch this or that.

Kyurem formes bother me not becuase it would create any controversy but because I just don't like the idea of fusing two pokemon into one, would've been better if it had a full form healthy form as opposed to broken wings, weak looking in its normal form.

You don't know what a djinn is, then you just slap six arms something from a completely different religion and then call it a djinn pokemon. It would've been okay to include one of these and make something. In the English version of the TCG they should call it genie pokemon instead. Then you say we don't know what is 'pokemonish', so what makes a pokemon a djinn pokemon?

In trying to stay away from controversy, the best way is to create more controversy, by relating to a religion in the storyline? Don't get me wrong we don't know what the main storyline will be yet, but it will no doubt create controversy if people see something too similar to their religion in the story telling yet relating to an evil pokemon maybe. You can maybe use Religion as inspiration but why should your storyline be strikingly similar, instead of something original, this is what I meant, I hope the next movie story is original, make their own legendary stories like they have done. If someone tried to do the opposite, and try and disguise a religious story as another story, people opposed to religion would say the same thing. The other day a student in an American school said the national anthem in Arabic, but it got some parents furious, and they made a complaint? That wasn't anything to do with Religion but just language.

I love Hoopa Unbound, it doesn't look like a Pokemon like mant here have said, but that's what i like about it, it sticks out because it's supposed to be this otherworldly force so it makes sense that it sticks out.

HA559 said:
Mitja said:

Most of those in favour of hoopa u design say its better to have something different, it being unique, that means its not what we've already have. The reason why I like pokemon more than yu-gi-oh and digimion since the start its becuase it had less features in its monsters than the others, it seemed more friendly, for me when I was small Yu-gi-oh seemed over the top ( for me), and that was no one telling me don't watch this or that.

Kyurem formes bother me not becuase it would create any controversy but because I just don't like the idea of fusing two pokemon into one, would've been better if it had a full form healthy form as opposed to broken wings, weak looking in its normal form.

You don't know what a djinn is, then you just slap six arms something from a completely different religion and then call it a djinn pokemon. It would've been okay to include one of these and make something. In the English version of the TCG they should call it genie pokemon instead. Then you say we don't know what is 'pokemonish', so what makes a pokemon a djinn pokemon?

In trying to stay away from controversy, the best way is to create more controversy, by relating to a religion in the storyline? Don't get me wrong we don't know what the main storyline will be yet, but it will no doubt create controversy if people see something too similar to their religion in the story telling yet relating to an evil pokemon maybe. You can maybe use Religion as inspiration but why should your storyline be strikingly similar, instead of something original, this is what I meant, I hope the next movie story is original, make their own legendary stories like they have done. If someone tried to do the opposite, and try and disguise a religious story as another story, people opposed to religion would say the same thing. The other day a student in an American school said the national anthem in Arabic, but it got some parents furious, and they made a complaint? That wasn't anything to do with Religion but just language.

Is any Pokemon what we've already had, other than assorted Gen V Pokemon which were specifically made as throwbacks? Seriously, is Noivern not a Pokemon simply because they haven't mixed dragons and bats before? Heck, as a better example, is Darkrai not a Pokemon?
As for the comparision with Yugioh... Yugioh designs, from what I can tell, are quite literally edgier. Hoopa just isn't sharp and angular enough to compare. :p

On Kyurem: as we know, originally it did have a complete form, but that was lost for backstory purposes. I think in theory it could be restored if you got the whole Tao trio together, but it would probably be as unbalanced as Mega Rayquaza, if not more so. Also, what color do they make it? All the fan designs I've seen have a mixture of the three, with various design aspects of each all clashing with each other, and that's just ugly and nonsensical.
Granted, I guess we could just criticize GF for writing the story the way it did, but...

djinn/djinni = genie. Genie is literally just an English corruption of an Arabic(?) word. Also, what is it with people in this thread and thinking it having six arms is exclusively some sort of reference to the Biblical motif? They've literally made Poke-Satan already, and guess what? It had six wing spikes/tendrils, six ribs and six legs/spikes. Three sixes together is an obvious reference; one is just you reading things into it. I'm no stereotypical fundamentalist, but as a Christian I can tell you Giratina (as much as I love it for other reasons) has always bothered me, while Hoopa does not.
Also, "we don't know what is 'Pokemonish', so what makes a Pokemon a Djinn Pokemon?" What makes Charizard a Flame Pokemon? What makes Dugtrio a Mole Pokemon? What makes Dusclops a Gripper Pokemon, of all things?

Also, you say we don't know what the storyline is yet and then accuse it of being 'strikingly similar' to the narrative of an unspecified religion.
HA559 said:
You can maybe use Religion as inspiration but why should your storyline be strikingly similar, instead of something original
As for saying the Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic... you're right, that's completely unrelated to religion. I mean, I guess it shows how touchy people can be, but it's an unrelated issue. Arabic is a language, but it also happens to originate in an area which is currently full of political unrest and terrorists bent on killing us all. Thus, when someone allegedly pledges allegiance to the US in that language which hardly anyone present is going to understand, people are going to wonder if something completely different was said instead.

Now, I'm going to briefly undermine some of my points to mention that Unbound Hoopa also has horns and a forked tail. You know what that makes me think of?
Kronk-Shoulder-Angel-300x200.jpg

Well, that's actually not as serious or intimidating as I was thinking. Huh. Also, here's another example.
So yeah, that references an age-old popular representation of demons. Does anyone take that caricature seriously? No. Anyone who does is either a child or someone who is missing the point.

I don't know why I'm bothering to type all this up. I already stopped myself on a previous occasion, but something about this discussion really annoys me...

HA559 said:

I guess you've missed Rocket Grunts back in Gen. I with whips, Tamers with whips, Team Rocket capturing Pokémon for the sake of profit, Marowak's ghost that was a Pokémon KILLED by Rocket grunts. In Gen.II TR continues using Pokémon for profit as evidenced by the cutting of Slowpoke's tails. In Gen. III remakes of the original games TR even is shown having cages in the Sevii Islands' branch base.
Yeah, we definitely have differents concepts of friendly! :rolleyes:

HA559 said:
MegaBeedrill is only talking about the design of this pokemon and how it can create controversy. Looks like its got Leaf_Ranger all fired up. Are we not allowed to criticize pokemon franchise in any aspect? There are only 15 pokemon max that might be controversial out of the whole 721.

HA559 said:
Most of those pokemon in Leaf_Ranger's list are not controversial at all, I don't know why they are even named on the list.
Now I'm interested in reading about those that you consider that might be controversial because I've listed the ones that can be so based on fanatical religious views. Let me guess, Houndoom's family and which more?

@GentleFish

You are right about yu-gi-oh design being more sharper.

I think you read it wrong or I read something wrong about Kyurem somewhere. I haven't played the newer games, but I read you can only have white or black kyurem not both at the same time. This can only be done by using fusion or something like that where one of either Reshiram or Zekrom is used to make either white or black kyurem, that is what I meant.

On the third part about the movie plot, you didn't quote my full sentence.

HA559 said:
You can maybe use Religion as inspiration but why should your storyline be strikingly similar, instead of something original, this is what I meant, I hope the next movie story is original, make their own legendary stories like they have done.

Maybe I should've mentioned like they have done in the past.

To be honest I don't read too much into category type or description, I only mentioned it as a way to avoid controversy.

About the anthem, it was just an example of how sensitive it can get if its the other way round even though it wasn't about Religion.

@Leaf_Ranger

Yu-gi-oh was more darker for me in terms of monster designs and powers. I made my point as I saw it when I was little, less features in its monster design which made it (Pokemon) more friendlier looking, got the wording wrong, which might have sent the wrong message here. Are you telling me Pokemon is more darker than Yu-gi-oh as a franchise now or it was at the start? Also I'm assuming you are looking back at it now, when describing those things incidents in pokemon.

No, Houndoom is not one of them. You even have my other comment which says a maximum of maybe 15 pokemon out of 721, then go and mention more than 15 even. Hoopa is most likely to top that small group now in being controversial, since it being the main character in the new movie, it will be seen in more places.

I'm just saying two things, Why I think hoopa doesn't look like a pokemon in my opinion, and secondly, how it could create controversy. Now obviously you think it looks like pokemon, and you don't care if it creates controversy, that is fine. Following others here earlier, we just raised the question and answer for those two points.

I'm sorry these posts are long, If I reply next time round, I'll keep it really short.

HA559 said:
@Leaf_Ranger
Are you telling me Pokemon is more darker than Yu-gi-oh as a franchise now or it was at the start? Also I'm assuming you are looking back at it now, when describing those things incidents in pokemon.

No, Houndoom is not one of them. You even have my other comment which says a maximum of maybe 15 pokemon out of 721, then go and mention more than 15 even. Hoopa is most likely to top that small group now in being controversial, since it being the main character in the new movie, it will be seen in more places.

I'm just saying two things, Why I think hoopa doesn't look like a pokemon in my opinion, and secondly, how it could create controversy. Now obviously you think it looks like pokemon, and you don't care if it creates controversy, that is fine. Following others here earlier, we just raised the question and answer for those two points.

I'm sorry these posts are long, If I reply next time round, I'll keep it really short.

I can't speak for the whole franchise, but Pokémon (games and anime) was and is dark since the beginning. As for Yu-Gi-Oh I can't speak since I've only watched the first season.
No, I'm not only looking back. We have Gen. VI with a graveyard full of Pokémon killed when that weapon of destruction was used, a war was mentioned also in Gen. VI, in Gen. V the Musketeer trio hints at a war between humans and Pokémon, the brothers who sought Ideal and Truth were at war and that's why Reshiram and Zekrom exist, Pokémon used as slave labor work on N's castle. I used those examples to show that from the start Pokémon was not so friendly, but if you say that you were speaking about Pokémon design...

I've already listed more than 15 Pokémon that could raise controversy but I still haven't read any of yours. So, if Houndoom is not included, who's left?

HA559 said:
I think you read it wrong or I read something wrong about Kyurem somewhere. I haven't played the newer games, but I read you can only have white or black kyurem not both at the same time. This can only be done by using fusion or something like that where one of either Reshiram or Zekrom is used to make either white or black kyurem, that is what I meant.

On the third part about the movie plot, you didn't quote my full sentence.

I know that's how it works. I was trying to say that, in the context of the Pokemon world (not the game proper), it might be possible to merge all three of them to get the original dragon, but due to story/gameplay reasons (e.g. you only get Reshiram or Zekrom in the story, the game prohibits you from having two fused Kyurems at once) and the fact that such a monster would have enormous stats, it's not actually doable. It was in response to your complaint that they should have made a 'healthy' Kyurem rather than half-baked fusions, though I'm not sure I really accomplished that in the end.
Personally, as a concept the fusion is sorta weird, but I thought it was a neat plot point. We can agree to disagree on that much. :p

Yeah, I didn't quote all of it, but it was long and I was pointing out a specific part I took issue with. I've also been half-assuming that your use of the word 'religion' has been in reference to Christianity and, more specifically, angry fundamentalists who think you forfeit salvation or something by playing Pokemon; I apologize if you were referring to Islam in this case.

As an atheist, I find all this religious talk immeasurably dumb...

About the Kyurems, first, one of the reasons I like them is precisely because of their overdetailed designs... Second, I was disappointed we didn't get the full fusion on the games... While the forms are cool, I feel the Tao Trio was left incomplete without the original dragon... My ideia of that form is the sprite in my signature (it tends more towards Black Kyurem because I used it as the basis, but it's supposed to be more balanced)...

Metalizard, I completely agree with you about the religious talk. No offense to anyone of course, but I just don't have those kind of believes either. And I certainly don't think that has any place in a video game, let alone Pokémon.

I think a 'perfect' Kyurem though would have been great. It didn't even need a fusion kind of thing, just an item like the many orbs that seem to be going around now. Maybe it will show up later on.

Ok folks lets round this thread up on an even note.

Leaf_Ranger

I agree with you on the things you described on pokemon being dark, in those aspect. Also I agree that design has changes like you said with ho-oh the artwork now is a bit different these days, same for other pokemon, lets just say design evolves also from generation to generation also. Hoopa u, like some other here have said and I share seems like something different a big jump in terms of design evolution (for us atleast), and now it will be seen as the main pokemon pointed to, by people who have issues with pokemon being evil franchise. It now becomes pick of the bunch if you want to call it, where as before hoopa u, it would most likely differ from person to person.

About choosing other pokemon that might be controversial to some, like mentioned before it would most likely differ from person to person. I think it's best to leave this.

@Gentlefish

There is no problem with Kyurems other formes, I would've liked a proper full form, but I don't really care that it is like it is, it's just that it won't rank amongst my favourite legenedaries where as a full healthy form, I would've given serious consideration. Only talked about Kyurem initially because one earlier commentator questioned weather I had issues with Kyurems detailed designs.

You might still be right, about it being Christianity, it could also relate to Islam or Judaism or other Religon founded around those areas. This is the point I am trying to make in the first place, about not relating stongly to Religion or be it myths or tales that it gets people who have issues already more furious with pokemon.

I don't think Hoopa-U's design will have much controversy at all honestly. It's 2015, religious aspects in video games isn't such a huge deal at this point ESPECIALLY when it's such a far stretch to even call it that in this case. I get that Pokemon is a kids game, but Pokemon is known to have bits of spook throughout it, so unless the parents of these kids are 100% hardcore religious, I don't think parents will have an issue with it. AND, if they did then it wouldn't be Hoopa-U that sets em off, it'd be the fact that the game is entirely based off of a mechanic called evolution, which most hardcore religious folk don't really agree with. Overall I think maybe a few parents will make a face book group so they rant to each other about how Pokemon is corrupting their kids minds.

On the discussion about Hoopa-U lookin like a Yu-Gi-Oh or something, I don't really care, it looks FREAKING AWESOME. Sorry to those that would rather have Pokemon designs that are simple and boring, I hope you can all find your piece or something. *bam bam shots fired*

Back