Hoopa Unbound Revealed in 'CoroCoro' [4/12]

Leaf_Ranger said:
"Out of place"...I'm still wondering what are the common traits of Pokémon, what makes something "Pokemonish".

It's difficult to really justify, but something about the massive, demon, overdesigned appearence seems like something you'd see in another franchise like yu hi oh, rather than generally cute pokemon.

A giant demon with six arms doesn't sound like a pokemon to me. Instead, that sounds like something from a different anime series like yu gi oh.

Leaf_Ranger said:
And what's to pick on Hoopa-U? Do people want yet another giant mecha-like beast?
People are always complaining about each new Pokémon.
Yveltal, Xerneas and Zygard weren't, thankfully, more of the same mecha. One was a blue deer-like creature with colored lights in it's antenae, the other was a bloodied claw of destruction and the other a god snake with hexagons and with a mix of colours from some rave party.

I think you missed the point..

Hoopa-U in particular has a much more conversal design. One look at it, and there is just religious controversy all over it. It's satanic features are pretty obvious and well shown on the creature.. six arms, horns, dark toned voice (new trailer), being sealed away, list goes on. Pokemon already has a bad profile from many super sticious groups, and we never even gotten anything of this caliber before to basicly be on the cover of pokemon merchandise and the movie star. Hoopa-U is practicely the next big thing in pokemon right now.. what pokemon merchandise and such will centralize around.. which for sure will won't end too well from the extremist side.

This has nothing to do with the gen 6 trio. Their designs are pretty good and don't have any controversal or questionable characteristics about them that would offend or worry religious groups and parents who let their children play the game. Just a deer, a bird, and a snake.. no demons, dieties, or anything of the like.

It definitely doesn't look like a Pokemon, but rather a Yu Gi Oh's character. One problem is it's drawn with thin lines, and has too much detail for a Pokemon.

I think Zygarde is another "Pokemon" that looks like a Yu gi oh. Then you have the Digimon Druddigon.

MegaBeedrill said:
Leaf_Ranger said:
"Out of place"...I'm still wondering what are the common traits of Pokémon, what makes something "Pokemonish".

It's difficult to really justify, but something about the massive, demon, overdesigned appearence seems like something you'd see in another franchise like yu hi oh, rather than generally cute pokemon.

A giant demon with six arms doesn't sound like a pokemon to me. Instead, that sounds like something from a different anime series like yu gi oh.

Leaf_Ranger said:
And what's to pick on Hoopa-U? Do people want yet another giant mecha-like beast?
People are always complaining about each new Pokémon.
Yveltal, Xerneas and Zygard weren't, thankfully, more of the same mecha. One was a blue deer-like creature with colored lights in it's antenae, the other was a bloodied claw of destruction and the other a god snake with hexagons and with a mix of colours from some rave party.

I think you missed the point..

Hoopa-U in particular has a much more conversal design. One look at it, and there is just religious controversy all over it. It's satanic features are pretty obvious and well shown on the creature.. six arms, horns, dark toned voice (new trailer), being sealed away, list goes on. Pokemon already has a bad profile from many super sticious groups, and we never even gotten anything of this caliber before to basicly be on the cover of pokemon merchandise and the movie star. Hoopa-U is practicely the next big thing in pokemon right now.. what pokemon merchandise and such will centralize around.. which for sure will won't end too well from the extremist side.

This has nothing to do with the gen 6 trio. Their designs are pretty good and don't have any controversal or questionable characteristics about them that would offend or worry religious groups and parents who let their children play the game. Just a deer, a bird, and a snake.. no demons, dieties, or anything of the like.

So Braixen's line, Mismagius and Misdreavus tell us that there are Pagan Pokémon, that Mega Medicham and Mega Alakazam should go to Bollywood, that Arceus is basically a heresy. Haunter has two floating mischievous-looking hands and smile, Machamp has four arms, Weezing may be seen by some as something like two Koffing fetuses. By this point, taking into account the possible and likely criticism from religions, namely Catholic, is just giving attention where and when it's not needed. If we are discussing that certain Pokémon might be controversial by religious stances, then we'll be back to the early ages of Pokémon. You may be right about supersticous and/or religious grous but I thought that we had already moved on and were in a phase of "who cares about those guys? It's a game and it's not driving you to worship some deities or myths." There are good and bad parents, there are those that let their children buy which game they want, without caring to see the age rating or what's about and there are those that pay attention and may or may not accept certain games based on religious stances or other. I don't care about the first and for the second ones, it's a choice they have the right to do because they're parents, as long as they don't do harm against others.
Coming up next, Hoopa-Umbound is a message for anarchists to rise up and destroy civilization because there's a shadow message behind all this.
Oh yeah, and Pokémon is supporting the fight against ecological groups because people should keep their animals in tiny and small cages no matter the animals' size.
Where were you (not just you MegaBeedrill) when Banette's, Drifloon and some others Dex entries were revealed, when Banette's own appearance (a living doll that seems connected to voodoo) was revealed? By Arceus, how long has it been since the first game? Will we still be discussing this 20 years from now and still saying that Pokémon "XFD" is not "Pokemonish"? People move foward wether in design (Sugimori's style has changed...see my avatar and compare it with the recent artwork of Ho-oh, compare the new ASOR artworks with older ones), in inspiration, in ideas, materials, technology.

Gen. VI legendaries were just a bird, deer and snake? One of them was the "Deity" of Destruction, that can be captured and "used"!!!! Who's to tell that Yveltal doesn't feed on blood and that the red on his body isn't blood? Do you realise that when questioning stuff like Hoopa.U you'll have to go back and see everything with other eyes and in those eyes, almost everything may and will look like harmful and inciting something that some may not agree with? Go to the XY's plot where a weapon was created using the life force of Pokémon...What more do you want? Go read the Sinnoh myths, namely about that guy with a sword killing like there was no tomorrow and you'll have more.

Did we go back to the Middle Ages, with religion now controling the State and liberty? What's next, Catholics and others being Neo Crusaders against all those that "worship" (in their view) Pokémon and play that heresy?

I'm in awe, I didn't expect to read something like this!

Since when are pokémon supposed to be generally cute? Are things like Giratina or Yveltal even remotely cute? They're not supposed to be cute and I like that they're not.
Also, too detailed? I think it's an improvement compared to the, for the most part, bland designs of Gen 1, for example.

As for looking like something from Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon... I've seen some Yu-Gi-Oh monsters before and they're nothing like any Pokémon. The style is completely different... On the other hand, I like Digimon, so even if they do look like Digimon, I don't mind...

btw, Ken Sugimori doesn't design all Pokémon now. While he has the final word, now they have a lot of designers, yet they still manage to make all pokémon look as part of the same thing. Just an example, I read Pancham was designed by an artist while Pangoro was designed by another. Yet, when you look at them, they fit with each other as an evolution line.

bbninjas said:
pokemonkosh said:
Hoopa Unbound makes me think about Hoopa's voice in the movie, and how idiotic it's going to sound in the Unbound Form.

I would imagine they'd give Unbound a separate/deeper voice.

They did in the Japanese trailer so maybe there is hope for the US voice.

Metalizard said:
btw, Ken Sugimori doesn't design all Pokémon now. While he has the final word, now they have a lot of designers, yet they still manage to make all pokémon look as part of the same thing. Just an example, I read Pancham was designed by an artist while Pangoro was designed by another. Yet, when you look at them, they fit with each other as an evolution line.

Sugimori has never designed as entire generation of Pokemon by himself, as fans have mistakenly repeated over and over until people have accepted it as fact. A lot of other people were involved in the designs of Gen I and II Pokemon just like today. He even says so in his art book that his contribution to Squirtle was the swirl in its tail and that to go back and figure out who designed which Pokemon would take forever since a lot of people contributed to their designs. In fact I believe he said in his book that the Gen I Pokemon were already designed and he came in and redrew them and fixed some of them up, though I don't remember exactly. Masuda commented once that he'd like to know what's under Diglett and Dugtrio, implying that the person who designed them is no longer around.

That's quite interesting... I didn't know that because yeah, I've always heard he designed the whole first Gen... Cool to know, thanks for that.

I'm assuming different people designed the new Gen 4 evolutions of the Gen 1 Pokemon since they didn't really look like new evolutions but rather two or 3 evolutions down the line. Or what the original Pokemon would look like if Michael Bay designed them.

I feel like when people create new evolutions of older Pokemon you can tell if they're different, like Scizor feels like a Gen 1 Pokemon to me, but Tangrowth doesn't have much creativity. They just made it bigger, of course Dugtrio isn't that creative either but still.

Who's to say Yveltal is cute. I think the style in a lot of new Pokemon is different then older gens, for one thing Sylveon doesn't really look like the other Eeveelutions.

I think a lot of the recent legendaries look like Yu Gi Oh characters, Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem. Also Thundurus, Landorus and Tornadus. I think this started around Gen 4.

Oh dear, haven't seen a topic turn to this in quite some time xD

I summed up my general 50 cents about it here:
http://pokehype.blogspot.com/2015/04/this-one-doesnt-look-like-pokemon.html
(am I even allowed to link to a blogpost here? the rules didn't really clear that up for me, or I'm stupid x_X)

but its interesting to see some "they look like yu gi oh" assertions instead of the good old "they're digimon" ones LOL

Guys, if you think you have a case, you have to be more specific. You can't just throw literally hundreds of unqiue and diverse creatures into one bag, and another hundred into a second bag, and just claim that there is something inherently different between the two, without actually describing something tangible besides that this is how it feels to you.

I'm convinced if we took all 721 Pokemon, shuffled them around and somewhat randomly rearranged them into generations completely different, someone who doesn't already know what generation they're from, could not tell the difference.
With the main reason being that they're simply so diverse IN GENERAL.

MegaBeedrill is only talking about the design of this pokemon and how it can create controversy. Looks like its got Leaf_Ranger all fired up. Are we not allowed to criticize pokemon franchise in any aspect? There are only 15 pokemon max that might be controversial out of the whole 721.

I think there's a couple reasons Hoopa Unbound looks like a Yu Gi Oh character as opposed to a Pokemon.

1. Floating arms, I don't remember any Pokemon in the past having parts of their body orbiting around them. Or controlled telepathically. To me every Pokemon, even Pokemon that were considered gods were still just one being. I'm not sure if any Yu Gi Oh monsters have this feature but it's definitely different for Pokemon.

2. Hoopa Unbound has a permanent angry face, up until now I can't think of any Pokemon to have a permanent angry face. A Pokemon can make an angry face when they are angry but usually they have a neutral face in their official artwork. Hoopa Unbound doesn't appear to be frowning, somehow the design on it's face makes it look like it's angry all the time. I haven't read any spoilers so I don't know if Hoopa is a villain in this movie.

In Yu Gi Oh pretty much every dragon is drawn with an "I'm going to destroy you" look on their face 24/7. Of course most if not all Yu Gi Oh dragons use the same design template with just different colors....

Maserati777 said:
I think there's a couple reasons Hoopa Unbound looks like a Yu Gi Oh character as opposed to a Pokemon.

1. Floating arms, I don't remember any Pokemon in the past having parts of their body orbiting around them. Or controlled telepathically. To me every Pokemon, even Pokemon that were considered gods were still just one being. I'm not sure if any Yu Gi Oh monsters have this feature but it's definitely different for Pokemon.

2. Hoopa Unbound has a permanent angry face, up until now I can't think of any Pokemon to have a permanent angry face. A Pokemon can make an angry face when they are angry but usually they have a neutral face in their official artwork. Hoopa Unbound doesn't appear to be frowning, somehow the design on it's face makes it look like it's angry all the time. I haven't read any spoilers so I don't know if Hoopa is a villain in this movie.

1. Haunter Exeggcute
2.Gyarados Crobat

Claydol and magnezone can detach their "arms" as well. Porygon-Z's head is always detached.

It's just something about the very overdesigned appearence that makes hoopa-U stand out as a character from another franchise. Detached arms with them capable of being inserted in it's body on the sides, the devilish face most pokemon lack (bar houndoom but you can argue it's just a doberman), markings and lines slapped all over it's body, there is just.. ALOT going on with it.

If one asked.. "What makes this digimon or yu gi oh creature's design different from a pokemon" the answer would probably be silence since there is no distinquishing characteristics that seperate themselves from each other when all similar franchises include both, cute, casual, and terrifying beings... it's just one of those things where you look at it, and the assumption its from this franchise comes to mind... we're not used to having scary, and demonic creatures with a ton of design appearing in pokemon when we look at them.. however in a franchise like yu gi oh, there is a fair number of said art styles that we'd see. There is no cut and dry answer to that kind of question in several highly versitile franchises.

Anyway, what Leaf_Range isn't really understand from my perspective, is where the franchise is going. You're using a bunch of examples from gen 1, when most of pokemon had it's toll on controversal elements and rustled religious and animal based groups. From that gen onward we've noticed a much more careful approach with how they handled things. Since the porygon instance, we've never seen the porygon line in the anime again. From the controversy with kadabra, we've never seen his appearence or similar lore in future installments. Even registeel's sprite in gen 4 had to get changed due to a pose.. which is pretty extreme when it wasn't that big of a deal.

The thing is since gen 1, pokemon never gave us anything to complain about.. banette, arceus, giratina, and similar isn't necessarly advertised and shouted in the games or in media, Voodoo, God, and Satan.. and their appearences certainly do not justify that they are either of those, you can easily mistake them for something else. We never had an issue with any controversal designs in cards, anime flashing lights (#blamepikachu), and animal abuse was never really a popular topic. Fast forward several years of peace and quiet, now we're introducing Hoopa-U, which might stir something up again in the franchise.. considering it's going to be on the cover of pretty much all merchandise until volcanion and zygarde become the next big thing... if registeel and kadabra stirred up that much back then in their little appearences, what is Hoopa-U who's going to be on everything going to do? I may be making this seem like a bigger deal than it actually is, but it's just food for thought. Not trying to prove or argue anything, just my opinion.

They've been doing more "detailed" designs since Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza. And then with Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. Etc. etc. People say the same thing every generation. It's pretty much been standard since Gen III that the large Legendaries are overdesigned and detailed.

I think that the best example is Kyurem B/W
These Pokemon are way overdesigned than Hoopa-U and yet most of us got used to them.
As for how HoopaU's devilish design would make people angry- It will only bring more fame to the franchise and thus more money to the Pokemon company.

I don't see the "controversial" concern... even if they made Hoopa fully black and called it satan backwards instead of Hoopa, gave it an ability called Spread Evil and a move called Triple six... so what? It's still just a fantasy creature in a monster-franchise inspired by superstitious nonsense and myth.

If it gets publicity because of some fundamentalists somewhere, it'll only make it more popular and give us some entertainment.

MegaBeedrill said:
(...)
Anyway, what Leaf_Range isn't really understand from my perspective, is where the franchise is going. You're using a bunch of examples from gen 1, when most of pokemon had it's toll on controversal elements and rustled religious and animal based groups. From that gen onward we've noticed a much more careful approach with how they handled things. Since the porygon instance, we've never seen the porygon line in the anime again. From the controversy with kadabra, we've never seen his appearence or similar lore in future installments. Even registeel's sprite in gen 4 had to get changed due to a pose.. which is pretty extreme when it wasn't that big of a deal.

The thing is since gen 1, pokemon never gave us anything to complain about.. banette, arceus, giratina, and similar isn't necessarly advertised and shouted in the games or in media, Voodoo, God, and Satan.. and their appearences certainly do not justify that they are either of those, you can easily mistake them for something else. We never had an issue with any controversal designs in cards, anime flashing lights (#blamepikachu), and animal abuse was never really a popular topic. Fast forward several years of peace and quiet, now we're introducing Hoopa-U, which might stir something up again in the franchise.. considering it's going to be on the cover of pretty much all merchandise until volcanion and zygarde become the next big thing... if registeel and kadabra stirred up that much back then in their little appearences, what is Hoopa-U who's going to be on everything going to do? I may be making this seem like a bigger deal than it actually is, but it's just food for thought. Not trying to prove or argue anything, just my opinion.

I've mentioned Gen. VI main trio but you said they were just animals, I got examples from gen. I and you say they are outdated because it was common back then to cause discussion and after that GF didn't gave "us" reason to worry. Well, back then it was a novelty so there's more arguing to be expected from that time (not to mention that it's not my fault that some lunatics get tired of banging against a wall because, let's face it, we're talking about a game and one that like others, has an age rating!) but I'l play along and give some examples of what could havd gotten GF into trouble by religious fanatics:

Gen. II - Misdreavus, Natu family, Murkrow: withcraft, spirits, mysticism and again witches and crows related to dark magic.
Gen. III - Shiftry, Claydol, Banette, Dusclops, Absol, Glalie, Beldum line, Registeel, Deoxys, Jirachi: Crow tengu, voodoo and/or taoism, Grim reaper and look alike, Oni, fusion, extraterrestrial life.
Gen. IV: Misdreavus, Drifloon, Honchkrow, Spiritomb, Dusknoir, Froslass, Darkrai, Arceus: witchcraft, ghosts kidnaping children, dark magic, devilish ghosts, ghosts comunication, ghost tales, a little nod to Incubus and oh, the notion that the Universe was created from an egg!
Gen. V: Elgyem, Kyurem, Gothitelle, Hydreigon, Golurk - extraterrestrial life, divination, evil dragons and Golems.
In all generations except II there were fossils and I don't know the current stance of religions regarding fossils, but it says something about God's previous children!

In all generations we had Pokémon inspired or representations of concepts, myths and tales from different religions and beliefs. Even so they still made these, Giratina was the mascot of it's own single game despite looking like something that might come out of Hell and with wings like they were made of dark matter with red claws perhaps from the blood of its victims. In movies Legendary Pokémon often go on a rampage by just seeing each other, violence galore and now Hoopa.U is the root of all evil and a novelty.

scattered mind said:
Maserati777 said:

1. Haunter Exeggcute
2.Gyarados Crobat

Add Hydreigon to the 2nd! Oh, and while not angy, some certainly look devilish, like Malamar.

For the record Haunter is a ghost, it's not a solid being that controls it arms telepathically to float. Exeggcute is just 6 individual eggs that each have a brain and can move by themselves and are not controlled telepathically by one brain....

Back