HGSS-Only Format

boneclub24

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
My and a few friends are thinking of doing a HGSS-only format.

We just sort of like the cards, the items, the aesthetics, ect. Gold/Silver were our favorite games.

What would be some noteworthy Pokemon/Archetypes?

Would you consider Call of Legends part of the HS series, since it actually is done in the HS style and had all the various cards we didn't get (Lost Link)? I would.

In any case...
I'd actually like this. We wouldn't have gigantic basics, we'd have pretty much all the same Supporters and such (really, what does BW have to contribute besides Juniper, Catcher, and Eviolite? ...well, there's Super Rod, but there's also FSL...), and all the decks would be pretty well-balanced.

And, yes, we need to make it so that the guy going first can't play T/S/S on the first turn.

Ah, yes, forgot about CoL!

Tankgrowth: Tangrowth CoL+Meganium Prime+BlisseyPrime+(maybe)Electrode Prime
Load up Tangrowth to do massive damage with grind, move the energy with Meganium then Blissey drop to heal. Electrode is a decent way to get energy out on the field, although limiting yourself to manual attachments isn't a horrible idea. A Metapod tech can be used if one of your friends is running a fire deck. Meganium is a decent alternate attacker as well with it's massive hp. It loses Tangrowth LvX when limiting to hs-col which is somewhat of a considerable hit, but the concept is still there and viable.

CroMega: Crobat Prime+Yanmega Prime
Swarm these to counter whatever your opponent throws out, and since they both have free retreat and decent hp, you have pretty good control. If your opponent runs a lightning variant, you can run a 1-1 or 2-2 Donphan Prime line as a counter.

Umbretar: Umbreon UD+Tyranitar Prime+other techs
Use Umbreon as an early game attacker to wall your opponent while setting up T-tar as a sweeper/tank with it's massive hp and high damage output. Since your attacker is a bit bulkier, a few more techs may want to be considered.

Jumpluff/Mewpluff: Jumpluff+Mew Prime+Yanmega Prime+Sunflora HS
LZ (for Mew) or candy into Jumpluff to do massive damage based on bench size. Yanmega gives you more options and Sunflora lets you build your low hp Hoppips without fear of constant ko's. Low hp but very fast and high damage output.

Blastzel: Blastoise UL + Floatzel UL
Use Floatzel to accelerate energy onto the field, then snipe 100 anywhere on the field with Blastoise. Lanturn Prime can be used as a possible tech for some more type coverage. This is still a decent rogue deck in today's metagame, but isn't viable because of the speed of the basics we have now.

DonChamp: Donphan Prime+Machamp Prime
Use Donphan as an early attacker while building Machamp then fighting tag into the active to tank while dealing 100-150 damage.

Lostgar: Gengar Prime+techs
Spam hurl into darkness then drop Lost world to win. There are a lot of techs that can fit in this deck.

Tankix: Steelix Prime+Skarmory+Blissey Prime
Start with Skarmory to load up energy on the field, then tank with Steelix to do heavy damage all game. I'm sure more people can give you input on this deck since I never liked it so I never played it or looked into it.

Raichu: Raichu Prime+Pachirisu CoL
Flood the field as fast as possible with Pachirisu then use Raichu's poke-power to move them onto him for consistent 120's.

Disruption: Weavile UD+Slowking (future sight)+Ambipom TR
Disrupt your opponent as much as possible with Weavile drops to discard their hand, Slowking to control their draws, and Ambipom to further discard their hand while doing overall low damage.

Cutank: Cubone+Marowak+techs
Discard Marowaks as fast as possible then tank with Cubone. Very flippy, kind of easy to exploit, but a fun idea.

VileMage: Vileplume UD+Mismagius CoL
Vilegar, but Mismagius in place of Gengar. Lock trainers in their hand then hit for heavy damage with Mismagius.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head, but these should give you a decent start.

Umbreon + Celebi.

Laugh as you completely wall your opponent to death. Loses to BlastZel and LostGar and that type of deck but does very good against anything else.

Don't forget Primetime. (Yanmega/Magnezone) Unless it requires some BW cards to work right, which I don't think it does.

Thanks guys. I thought that this might be able to work, was just a little worried Magnezone would push a lot of other cards out.

Feraligatr Prime + SEL and or KGL
A slightly different alternative to sniping. A turn two Feraligatr (assuming there is no Vileplume earlier) gets the deck going with either Legend to snipe the bench. Blastoise or Vaporeon could be put in here for added effect. Call for Family Eevee could be a back up for Collector if Trainer Locked.

boneclub24 said:
I thought that this might be able to work, was just a little worried Magnezone would push a lot of other cards out.

That would be my main concern as well in doing a HS-CoL format, but thinking about it, I'm not sure if Magnezone would be too much of an issue. Donphan would be a pretty popular card in HS-CoL, as it's got several uses, and Vileplume (no Rare Candy), Umbreon UD, and Celebi Prime can all hurt Magnezone-based decks quite a bit.

One other interesting deck here would be Feraligatr Prime+Magnezone Prime (or Floatzel UL+Magnezone Prime). Load up energy anywhere while manually attaching onto Magnezone and then hit for high amounts. The need to run a lot of energy hurts it, but with Feraligatr, being able to get rid of all that energy in-hand makes for excellent Magnetic Draws. It's really hurt by Donphan, though– the only way to get around it is attacking with Feraligatr+PlusPower.

Back