Happy Chinese New Year!

lovandra

not an ordinary cat
Let's share your chinese new year experiences!
I know this is not familiar culture world wide and maybe no one else will post here.

Still chinese new year eve now in my timezone. My father became crazy and launched fireworks *the real giant one* in our suburban, just after adzan *I lived in a mainly Muslim country* finished. Of course some of our muslim neighbours went mad. But my father just stopped when our marine neighbour's come and complain.

Damn. My silly stupid father, the fireworks are super pretty but too loud and, unlike New Year Eve, only our house launched them this time. Of course people complain. Hahahahaha..

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR

RE: Happy CHINESE NEW YEAR!!

I'll wait until tomorrow to say Kung Hei Fat Choy here, but I also celebrate our new year! My mum is fully Chinese and comes from Hong Kong, and so I'm half-Chinese. Last year I celebrated the new year in Hong Kong, but this year it'll just be a small celebration in England (where I live) with soy chicken and rice. A benefit of the day is that, as I have many Asian relatives, I'll get given a bunch of Lia See ;)

man I love Chinese New Year :)

RE: Happy Chinese New Year!!

My calendar says it's the year of the horse. Do the Chinese do anything special based on the animal?

Happy New Year to you!

Re: RE: Happy Chinese New Year!!

PsychedelicBreakfast said:
My calendar says it's the year of the horse. Do the Chinese do anything special based on the animal?

Happy New Year to you!

There are 12 zodiac in chinese lunar calender. But represent whole year instead of just month. Each zodiac have their own characteristic.

The animals
Rat
Ox
Tiger
Rabbit
Dragon
Snake
Horse
Goat
Monkey
Rooster
Dog
Pig

I was born in Horse year so my Xiao is Horse. There are other categorized called elements too. But elements are harder to be determined.

Ma nian kuai le! Zhu nimen ma shang you qian! (Happy Year of the Horse! I hope you all get lots of money this year!)

I am year of the horse. I was told that we (those of the year of the horse) should wear red to ward off bad luck. We also have come "full circle."
I really wish I could participate in the New Year festivities, but I never get to.

But, good luck in the New Year everyone!

I actually meant for the celebration of the new year, do you do anything special centered around the specific animal? Like, for this year's celebration, did you celebrate the Horse specifically, or is it not detailed that much?

My Chinese zodiac sign is the Fire Tiger. I'm also of the fire element in the Western zodiac, because my sign is Leo.

Re: Happy Chinese New Year!!

Ohhh.. nothing necessary, except for some ornament, sometimes, to celebrate some zodiac, the ornament of that Xiao can be fine more easilly in stores.

Xiao more to predict what is good and bad to do this year. More like propercy.

It is essentially the Spring Festival, and the celebrations are centered around that rather than the year of the horse. I think only those of the year of the celebrated animal really do anything special. Of course, depending on your animal, there are certain fortunes. There are postcards that are sent with the animal, figurines, and other things that people make or send out.

Here is more on the information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/social_customs/zodiac/

Every Chinese New Year, I get free money! And we also go to some chinese restraunts in the Bay Area. We also sometomes go to San Franciso's China Town. I also want to point out that some of the stores there sell boxes of fake Pokemon cards for $3 for 30 cards. Why does China need to bootleg everything by the way?

My Zodiac is the Ox by the way. (I was born in 1997)

We were born in the Year of the Superior (or in this case Serperior) Snake! We've been learning about Chinese New Year a lot last year, although we're from Australia.

Snakes are usually not listened to and are passive because of that, although they are really determined and let absolutely nothing get in their way. They're usually kind and generous, and care for those in need.

Happy Chinese New Year and good luck to all those born in the year of the horse! May you be wealthy and happy this year!

This is the first year I've been aware of the Chinese New Year personally, mostly because LoL promotes it. I will be celebrating the new year by purchasing a Lunar Revel skin at the LoL store. Happy year of the horse!

Back