Gyarados, Butterfree, More from ‘Pokemon Card 151’!

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Gyarados, Butterfree, and several other cards were revealed from Pokemon Card 151! As noted before, the set will release in Japan on June 16th. We expect to it release internationally as a special set this fall.
Magikarp – Water – HP30
Basic Pokemon
[W] Slash Around
Flip a coin until you get tails. For each heads, draw a card.
Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1

Gyarados – Water – HP190
Stage 1 – Evolves from Magikarp
Ability: Ruffian
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn, you must discard the top 5 cards from your deck...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Magikarp/Gyarados - "From your deck?" Seems bad tbh, unless someone did it for a reason. To be fair, a basic with discard 2 top deck ability would be nice to pair with. The lesser the evo line, the better. 3/3

Dangerously boring, so let's do a thought experiment. If this Hyper Beam cost only [W][C], do you think it would be playable?
That goes for the artwork too. Unfortunately, it is done by Kouki Saitou and his style changed for the worse, like Arita. Take a look at the image below, that was Saitou style before:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 84
Butterfree - nah. Caterpie with an ability is rotated so what for, and its a weak Stage 2. ?/?/3
Vulpix/Ninetales ex - RC - 80+ 140 if you have both players have same number of cards in hand. Meh, too much effort for just bland damage. I can just do 220-240 without extra effort. 2/3
Lapras - common beginner-tier card. Nothing special in the meta. 2

Butterfree - nah. Caterpie with an ability is rotated so what for, and its a weak Stage 2. ?/?/3
Vulpix/Ninetales ex - RC - 80+ 140 if you have both players have same number of cards in hand. Meh, too much effort for just bland damage. I can just do 220-240 without extra effort. 2/3
Lapras - common beginner-tier card. Nothing special in the meta. 2
I agree. Caterpie with a rare candy and a double turbo energy may be somewhat useful. It could potentially back off gardevoir ex, but can't see much play with these

Noctowl is back as a stage 2. A little sad that we don't have a bye bye flight for vivillon but hey, maybe there'll be a Terastal Butterfree ex from a future set. ??

Dangerously boring, so let's do a thought experiment. If this Hyper Beam cost only [W][C], do you think it would be playable?
Cosmic Eclipse's Excadrill ([F]: 120, discard the top 4 cards of your deck) saw quite a bit of play, so 200 for two energy and discard 5? Absolutely.

Pair a 4/4 line of Magikarp/Gyarados with Tatsugiri and Dondozo for a chaos themed blue stompy deck. I'd play that.

Edit: The ability specifically says "played from your hand", so you could also cheat it into play with Rabsca (from the discard pile) or straight from your deck to your bench with Silver Tempest's Hypno ([P]: Search your deck for up to 2 stage 1 Pokemon and put them on your bench). Run a Hypno/Rabsca combo, attach Defiance Band to any Gyarados in play, and you're swinging for 230, for 2 energy, without milling yourself.

I could see a 1/1 line of gyarados getting put in water decks if energy discard becomes relevant, it seems pretty okay against DTE Mew right now but there'd probably need to be more than that in format with limited energy to make this a good choice

Cosmic Eclipse's Excadrill ([F]: 120, discard the top 4 cards of your deck) saw quite a bit of play, so 200 for two energy and discard 5? Absolutely.
Well, that would put it on the level of a fun meme deck, with the caveat that Excadrill only ran a few energies to power it's 1-cost attack, whereas this would be much clunkier even on just two energy.

Gyarados might be good in GLC with Deluge Blastoise and now Baxcalibur, but other than that Lapras gets its like 50th mediocre printing.

Back