Greninja BREAK

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
This thread is for all discussion of competitive Greninja BREAK variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies and matchups.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, please post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:
Stitches, Slashes, And Shurikens – Your Complete Guide To Greninja
Top Picks for Nationals - Discussing the Front Runners of Standard

Greninja BREAK Skeleton List:

Pokemon: 18
  • 4 Talonflame STS 96
  • 3 Froakie BKP 38
  • 4 Frogadier BKP 39
  • 4 Greninja BKP 40
  • 3 Greninja BREAK BKP 41
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 30
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 Fisherman
  • 1 Ace Trainer
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Dive Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Bursting Balloon
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 3 Rough Seas
Energy: 8
  • 8 Water Energy
Open spots: 4

Notes:
  • Some lists choose to run Splash Energy as an additional form of recovery.

Last edited:
How does this handle Octillery being Lysandre into Active? I typically run a Float Stone to ensure I don't get bogged down trying to switch him out.

How does this handle Octillery being Lysandre into Active? I typically run a Float Stone to ensure I don't get bogged down trying to switch him out.

If you look, it is only a skeleton. there are 4 slots free, so 2 float stone is something you can do.

I used to run the opposite Greninja being 3 XY and 1 BRP. After testing though, I found the 2-2 split works best. If you could I would run 3 Xy Greninja and 2 BRP because I found myself needing the XY one a bit more. I go with 8 water and 1 splash energy mainly for the frogadier and against Mega Sceptile. When against Mega Sceptile I had the moonlight slash greninja BREAK and attached a splash energy, it already had an energy on it so I moved that to my hand. With the splash energy attached I got the whole line back. That is the best thing you can ask for against that deck. Anyway, are there any ways to help against that deck other than Splash Energy? Another thing is what about one Shaymin for if you go second. It really helps the consistency of the deck.

I used to run the opposite Greninja being 3 XY and 1 BRP. After testing though, I found the 2-2 split works best. If you could I would run 3 Xy Greninja and 2 BRP because I found myself needing the XY one a bit more. I go with 8 water and 1 splash energy mainly for the frogadier and against Mega Sceptile. When against Mega Sceptile I had the moonlight slash greninja BREAK and attached a splash energy, it already had an energy on it so I moved that to my hand. With the splash energy attached I got the whole line back. That is the best thing you can ask for against that deck. Anyway, are there any ways to help against that deck other than Splash Energy? Another thing is what about one Shaymin for if you go second. It really helps the consistency of the deck.
You can't run a 2 brp and 3 xy, because you can only have 4 of the same pokemon in a deck. What does everyone think about the promo Greninja? You could run reverse Valley to boost the damage output

You can't run a 2 brp and 3 xy, because you can only have 4 of the same pokemon in a deck.
If you read the entire post, I stated: "If you could" at the beginning of the sentence. I just feel that If You Could the deck could be a bit better, but there will be only 4 Frogadier, so I'm not so sure how good it would work after thinking.
What does everyone think about the promo Greninja? You could run reverse Valley to boost the damage output
You wouldn't usually want to attack with it because then if you want the water energy, it may be a dark. It would make the deck seem inconsistent running both energy types.

Someone played this with Archie's ace in the hole swampert. How does that work? It won the nh state championships. It seems like a more potent version of this deck that is worth noting.

Maybe 1 less BRP Greninja and 1 more XY Greninja? Helps to snipe more night marchers, right? Also, maybe 1 less Sycamore and maybe 1 Delinquent? Just in case of any stadiums you don't need or want.
Note: This is just my opinion.

Curious about the skeleton... is the 4 Syc + 2 Birch really necessary? It seems like overkill with the draw. But I'm saying this not having played it, so any insight is appreciated since I'm in the process of building this.

I like to run 3 N and 2 Sycamore in my builds, now that he is getting a reprint. Depending on the deck, I also run a 1 of birch. It's just a good card, for late game shuffle draw.

I like to run 3 N and 2 Sycamore in my builds, now that he is getting a reprint. Depending on the deck, I also run a 1 of birch. It's just a good card, for late game shuffle draw.

Since N's not legal yet, what's your solution for tournaments? Also I only started when N moved to expanded, so before it rotated out, was N used instead of Judge or were they both used for the same purpose?

Since N's not legal yet, what's your solution for tournaments? Also I only started when N moved to expanded, so before it rotated out, was N used instead of Judge or were they both used for the same purpose?
If I were you, I would do a line of 3 professor Sycamore and 2 shauna. That's what I used to run before N got reprinted.

I was testing this deck and I would get SO MANY mull agains. Is that just a thing to accept with this deck, or is there a way to help with that?

Last edited:
If I were you, I would do a line of 3 professor Sycamore and 2 shauna. That's what I used to run before N got reprinted.

I was testing this deck and I would get SO MANY mull agains. Is that just a thing to accept with this deck, or is there a way to help with that?

I think it's something this deck needs to accept. With only 6 basics, it's bound to happen. Adding another basic might help a little, but that also gives you a high chance to not start Froakie.

I think it's something this deck needs to accept. With only 6 basics, it's bound to happen. Adding another basic might help a little, but that also gives you a high chance to not start Froakie.
OK, thanks. I might add one Jirachi, to deal w/ vespiqueen. Is there a secondary attacker I could use, that is a water type and spreads damage?

There are a couple of attacks that spread from what I'm seeing on PTCGO, but none of them are particularly good. The biggest one is Kyurem-EX with Glaciate, but it takes 3 energy to do that attack. Froslass from Generations puts 4 damage counters on the enemy field, but again takes 3 energy... though its Ability could be kinda nice to deter heavy attackers. Greninja-EX snipes for 30 for W, but is an EX and its second attack is fairly underwhelming for the 3-energy cost. Palkia-EX is in a similar situation to Kyurem, but focuses more on the raw damage and has a gigantic energy cost that doesn't work with Gren decks at all.

The most usable spreader I'm seeing right now is Glaceon, oddly enough. the FuF Glace does 30 + 10 spread for W, which when coupled with the Energy Evolution Eevee could actually be an accessible way to get this kinda of damage out. It doesn't synergise with Splash Energy though, and the spread is really weak compared to Kyurem. Still, as far as Water Spread moves go this is likely your best bet, though I don't really think it's all that good sadly.

What about Ace Trainer. I use it as a 1 card tech in order to slow your opponent down. This deck comes from behind to win.

I tried it in my deck and hated it for consistency, getting it as your only T1 supporter is a bad feeling. However the 2 Greninja decks that won state's listed here both had 2! http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/state-province-championships-2016/decks/week-two/
When N is reprinted, I already thought of taking out a few cards for this supporter line up:
4 Sycamore
2 Wally
2 Fisherman
2 N
1 Lysandre
1 Ace Trainer
1 Delinquent

It has worked out for me fairly well. I do like the 1-2 split of Ace Trainer and N.

I played my version of the deck, today winning 6 out of the 7 matches, due to my poor start, but besides that, I had a really fun time with this deck, and would reccomend it to anyone who has the time to test it. It was really fun to use giant water shuriken, retreat, into another giant water, and use water shuriken and Lysandre to ko their ex pokemon like nothing. The most fun match I had was a mega ttar match and my opponent didn't even get a chance to attack with him lol. I would definitely play this deck if you feel stuck and bored with the TCG.

Back