Ghetsis, Hex Maniac, and More Banned from Expanded Format!

As someone that loves expanded and an avid night match player I feel heartbroken. However, this is probably best for the game as a whole. Time to see what we can come up with.

Well, I STILL don't see a ban on Seismitoad EX, and it does the same exact thing as the Trevenant combo!

As someone who hasn't actively played in awhile: were these cards really as prevalent as I'm being led to understand?

Yeah. Yeah they were. Chaining Hex Maniac in Zoroark was nutty and T1 Ghetsis could make the game incredibly one-sided. Wally before the other player gets to even draw a card meant Trevenant players could effectively lock em from the get-go.

Puzzle of Time seems questionable. DCE-only decks are gonna have to find a way to work around not having their main medium of getting Energy back.

We'll see more Ability-based decks back, Eelektrik, Bronzong, and Blastoise even, but we'll also see more Garb. I'm surprised they didn't touch Dimension Valley, personally.

Well, I STILL don't see a ban on Seismitoad EX, and it does the same exact thing as the Trevenant combo!
Trevenant and Seismitoad are very different. The reason TPCi has to nerf Trevenant is because it has an *ability* with the same effect as Seismitoad's *attack*. With an ability, it can be activated on turn 1, which is why they banned the last remaining engine for it to do so. Attacks are different, because your opponent gets at least one turn to use their deck to the fullest, which is why they get away with more.

Trevenant and Seismitoad are very different. The reason TPCi has to nerf Trevenant is because it has an *ability* with the same effect as Seismitoad's *attack*. With an ability, it can be activated on turn 1, which is why they banned the last remaining engine for it to do so. Attacks are different, because your opponent gets at least one turn to use their deck to the fullest, which is why they get away with more.
I understand that. Now that it comes to mind, Pokémon ranger is also available to remove the effect of Quaking Punch...

LonZoro was definitely the primary target for the Puzzle of Time and Hex Maniac bans. No way to remove the Sudowoodo effect now and to abuse the power of Puzzle of Time recycling. Hoopa will become a much more reliable now in expanded. I also predict that Alolan Muk with Zoroark will become more popular as a whole.

this is stupid... I mean buzzwole is going to rule all formats and now we must come up with new ways to use cards like those... whats next N is going to be banned for being a bad card for the late game...

Edit - What about the people who bought singles of the hex maniac from the XY collection box who spent a good chunk of cash on the 1st sales to get one of those without having to buy the whole box.

I'm not an expanded player but why ban hex maniac? I remember when it was still legal in standard and the card was very useful but not game breaking, why is that? Is there a combo in expanded that allows you to abuse this card? I don't get it the ban on hex maniac doesn't make any sense to me at all to be honest.

Last edited:
I'm not an expanded player but why ban hex maniac? I remember when it was still legal in standard and the card was very useful but not game breaking, why is that? Is there a combo in expanded tha allows you to abuse this card? I don't get it the ban on hex maniac doesn't make any sense to me at all to be honest.
With Zoroark, Puzzle, and VS Seeker, you can draw 6 or so cards a turn to consistently OHKO your opponent while Ability locking them.

Dang, I was considering adding Hex to improve my ZoroBees matchup against Special Energy walls, but now I'm gonna have to come up with another method. SUM Alolan Muk takes care of that problem without affecting my guys too much. Bumping up the Special Charge count to 2 or 3 is probably a safe call, too.

Honestly, Zoroark could probably start running Milotic with a bit of retooling. Is there a Feebas with more than 30 HP?

Other than Zoroark, the real problem with Puzzle of Time is that it made a lot of control decks viable. Sableye Garbodor is back to being a really difficult deck to pilot, if it is at all possible. In fact, I can't think of a control deck that doesn't use puzzle of time to great effect.

Wait, wait, wait:

TPCi banned some broken cards?
SO I CAN PLAY ABILITIES NOW?
WAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOO!
A totally unexpected move! I love it!

Ok, so the expression of my avatar kinda matches mine at the moment.

Seriously, Ghetsis? Hex??? Hex was one of the best Expanded trainers. That's absurd. And Puzzle...who made these decisions? Who approved of this?

If anything, they should have banned stuff like D. Valley and Propagation.

Last edited:
What type of Ninja box? Like with the supporter or greninja?

The Ninja Box similar to Marshadow Box but without the downsides of having to discard to get online and with the added flexibility and weakness focus. From my personnal experience it is at the very least a Tier 2 deck even if people wont admit and play it. And now it just gets even better unless everyone starts playing Garbodor and Alolan Muk.

Back